Message Boards

Topic : 06/08 Mind Control?

Number of Replies: 190
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 31, 2008, 04:13:15 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/05/08) It’s hard to believe, but in America alone, there may be as many as 5,000 religious groups preying upon the weak and vulnerable, and all in the name of God. Dr. Phil’s guests have warnings for you and your children. Seeta says when her 18-year-old daughter joined a religious group called 1 Mind Ministries, she left home with her 7-month-old son and never returned. Soon afterward, Seeta received the horrifying news that her grandson was found dead and her daughter was being charged with murder. Learn the disturbing details of this case and why Seeta says her daughter is innocent. Then, meet Norman, a college-educated husband and father who moved his family hundreds of miles to join a religious group that came with a price he says he never expected. Norman says he was enticed to join the House of Yahweh because of his strong desire to be part of a group. The House of Yahweh is a mysterious organization out of Abilene, Texas, led by Yisrayl Hawkins, a man who some say has more than 30 wives. As Norman and his family prepared for the end of the world, as Yisrayl Hawkins preached, Norman says he eventually realized why they were selected to join the group. You won’t believe the reason he gives! Then, meet a former wife of Yisrayl Hawkins, and learn the warning signs of mind control. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 5, 2008, 2:18 pm CST

HOY

In the late 80's one of my daughters was invited to one of HOY services by her husbands uncle. Our son-in-law saw them for what they were and refused to back. However my daughter did go back. She was told when she could make love w/her husband and told she had to sleep outside her home during her period.Finaly she took her kids, 3 of which were girls, to live in the compound. When my son-in-law went to get them there were armed guards. Luckily he got them out. We have to remember what cults look like and how to avoid them.

November 5, 2008, 2:23 pm CST

Psychotic?

Okay, not to tell some one who they can or can't believe in, but does anyone else think this guy is a psycho?  And I don't want to be a total bitch, but who gets reeled into this crap.  And who the hell do these people think they are dragging their children with them.  Getting a 12 year old girl ready to Marry?  And just how many of these girls are abused and we never hear about it.  It is disgusting.  Not to mention rediculous.  Let's use our heads people.  Unless you are mentally severely lacking, there is no excuse for that kind of stupidness.  Sorry, just my opinion.

November 5, 2008, 2:43 pm CST

cults

Dr. Phil,

I am commenting on your show today, I want to share my experience as an outsider to the cult aspect, and how its changed my life...    :)

when I was I'm guessing here about 6 or 7 years young, my real fathers side of the family left my hometown and moved to Abilene Texas where they too joined into HOY. needless to say the story gets worse, growing up I was told that my father and his family didn't care about me if they did then they would have never left. Being a growing child I often lay in bed at night and wonder if they (meaning my fathers side of the family and himself ) ever thought of me...

Now I as a child felt like I wasn't wanted by them and often blamed all my childhood troubles on my father when I felt I had no were else to turn...

After a while of me wondering and searching for my long lot family I knew they were located in somewhere in Texas but I had no clue where to start!!!! So as a young teenager I started researching this "cult" as some put it I just like to refer to as a "particular religious belief" which I wanted no part of. Only to find myself at a dead end, over and over again.

Now fast forwarding to me now,

I am 21 years young thats right 15 almost 16 years later and I finally found my family which was hidden from because of this religious belief...

Thanks to " myspace" and logic I started with my aunts last name and found my cousins fiancee and emailed her asking if I had the right person and after I saw the picture of him I knew right away he was my kin no denying it... then my other cousin, and aunt ,uncle, NEW step mom, and finally  my long awaited Father whom I talk to at least 3 or 4 times a week... it has been long over due for a family reunion and I can only hope that will come soon...

Thank you Dr. Phil for giving me more insight on this "cult" "religious belief"... Ill try not to give them to hard of time about it, after all thats what family's do is forgive when one needs to be forgiven.....

Ashley V. Webb

November 5, 2008, 2:47 pm CST

TV family exhibiting mind control

Dr. Phil,

I watched part of "17 Kids and Counting" on TLC this week, and I was alarmed by what I believe is children whose minds are being controlled by their parents.  After seeing your show today, I believe the Duggar family does display mind control at work.

1.  The children in this family are completely isolated from the outside world.  The parents in order to promote their strict religious doctrines do not allow their children to watch television or browse the internet.  They are also homeschooled so they are not exposed to ideas outside of their parents' views.

2.  The children's sense of identity is diminished by the fact that they are one of 17 children.  There is no way each child is getting special attention when they are one of so many.  Their identity has become "one of the Duggar children"

3.  Further evidence of the control was exhibited when the children interviewed were asked their views about dating and relationships.  According to their parents, it is best not to date, but rather find the one person you are intended to marry, get engaged, and then begin the courtship phase.  Also, during the courtship, the couple does not even kiss because the parents have told them that it is best to save the first kiss for the wedding.  This constant suppression of one's natural instincts has got to be harming the children.

Dr. Phil, I worry about the children in this family, and I think your show could be a good format for investigating their welfare.  I certainly promote a parent's choice to instill their personal values in their children, but when those children are not allowed to gain any other information outside of their parents in order to form their own beliefs, I believe a line is crossed.

November 5, 2008, 2:54 pm CST

I agree!

Quote From: jewelsf

Although I consider myself to be a Christian, I still tend to live and think more like you than what is considered a "normal" Christian. Yes, I believe in God, but I also feel that there is a lot of hypocrisy in the church and in congregations. My husband used to attend church when he was married to his first wife many years ago and then turned away from it when he found out that the Minister was having an affair with one of his best friends wife. Just like me he still believes in God but neither of us attend church.

I belonged to a church many years ago but have found my own way and my own spirituality. To me being a Christian is a combination of believing in the Lord and also by just being a good person. By having morals and values. I certainly don't believe that a person must attend church to be a Christian or that is the only way to the afterlife. As I said, a lot of hypocrites belong to church's and no amount of praying or attending will wash away what they have done wrong.

Having a good heart and common sense is the obvious choice in my humble opinion. As to cults? They prey on the weak, mentally compromised and vulnerable.

My hubby and I also do not attend Church.  Mostly because we just don't take the time to go.  We both strongly believe in God and teach our children the same.  I feel religion is a very personal choice and we have been arguing for at least six years now about whether or not to baptize the children.  I feel they should make the choice when they are older and know how they actually feel about it.  There are some in his family that believe that if the children are not baptized they will not make it in to heaven if they were to pass at a young age.  I strongly disagree.  MY God would not keep a child from heaven because they were not washed clean of my sins.  I mean really.  That just pisses me off.  They also take the bible pretty literally in some cases and to me the bible is a good teaching tool and a story.  Not to be taken literally as it was passed orally numerous times before it was ever written down and has been rewritten per how someone else understood it.  It is not written for today's society.  I feel that if my children never choose to believe in God that I will ofcourse be disappointed but feel that as long as they are morally good, strong, loving people who are productive members of society that they will be fine and will end up in heaven with me anyway.  But if they get involved with some psychotic cult you can bet that I will be dragging them away by their hair kicking and screaming if need be.  Anyway sorry about the rant.

November 5, 2008, 2:56 pm CST

brainwashed at a church school

When I was in my early twenties and wanted to know more about God and spiritual things, I enrolled in a Bible college in Canada called Prairie Bible Institute. It's teaching is solidly based on the Bible but it's methods came into question when I noticed how many
people who had attended and were attending the school were having nervous breakdowns -- myself included. They isolate their students by not letting them leave the school more than twice a semester, and the school itself is located in a remote part of Alberta Canada in the middle of nowhere. They also control every student's time by using bells in all of the dorms, classrooms, and other campus buildings. Most of the teachers are Prairie graduates so teach what they have been taught. There is very little "new blood" in the way of teachers that are brought into the school. Learning is through repetition, not free thought and discovery. When I was there girls had to wear long skirts and no makeup. No frills allowed. They also
serve a low protein diet which I discovered later was a technique that brainwashers use. They kept us in constant motion -- another brainwashing technique. Thank goodness that my Dad got me out of that place, but it left it's mark on me. I am terrified to get involved in any church or church group. I attended in the mid 1970's so the school may have changed since then, but to anyone who is thinking of attending, please check it out first. I hate to bash a religious school that teaches the Bible, but I believe it is wrong to brainwash people like that.

November 5, 2008, 3:14 pm CST

Adelphi Cult

I consider this cult in Texas located in Quinlan to be very dangerous. There is a Dallas Morning News report located at www.rickross.com/reference/general/general241.html which gives one reporters perspective. One of their leaders is/was an Advisor for the students of Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society of Two-Year Colleges at Eastfield College www.txptk.org/regional-award-winners (scroll down to Horizon Awards). John is a Research Associate with Eastfield, www.zoominfo.com/people/Asselin_John_288267602.aspx 

John is very charismatic, through Phi Theta Kappa he has access to thousands of young men and women which he meets through traveling since he is the Advisor (or was when I knew him) of his Honor group at his college. He was trying to recruit me for his Adelphi Community. During one of our talks, John was trying to learn more about my major, I attended a different college than his. He knew I was trying to get into the RN program where I attended. When I explained that I was leaning more towards the RN Research major he actually got mad, he exploded, then quickly regained composure which sent off caution signals to me. I decided to learn more about this 'group' he always spoke of. When I confronted him later with all I had learned, he said he was disappointed in me for believing the media lies and we quit corresponding. What I believe is that he saw an older single mother and presumed I'd be lonely enough to drift into their group. He had told me already of the recent demise of their RN so I believe I was being recruited to fill her spot in the group. He spoke of how you stayed initially in apartment style housing and attended classes on their faith. This brought out red flags to me. What they did not count on was my firm belief in my Lord that is unwavering. I dropped all communication with this man and now fear for all the students he comes into contact with in the future. 

November 5, 2008, 3:15 pm CST

out of his mind

this man should be arrested immediatley  and any like him. these people are dangerous and destructive to society. no prophet should ever put himself above others, a real prophet should actually own nothing and help everyone, but that is the biggest problem in religions today, greed and self importance.

November 5, 2008, 3:39 pm CST

11/05 Mind Control?

Quote From: cndrlla

It could have been a second printing in 1978! Anyway, it was a long time ago, the poster could have simply mistaken the year.

Jeez! 

ISBN: 9780440174721  Published March 1 1978... JeeZ!

November 5, 2008, 4:03 pm CST

White Middle & Upper Class

I am writing this letter in the behalf of all white middle to upper class in Good old America to please wake up and smell the coffee before this country become a Police State.  Remember, people of European decent this is how model day Christianity got started as brain washing all of the tribes of western Europe.

This Brain Washing is still going on today is a good reason we think the way we do, can't get along, spending money for temporary happiness, families falling apart, un-controllable teenagers, and addicted to drugs.  Because, the people in power only stay in power as long as we kept eating out of the bowl of soup Christianity say we should eat.

Just think white middle to upper class, if Christian was a good thing what's wrong with the way with live. It is nothing the way we live but it is how we are control to live as slaves for a God who was created by humans.  We are being control from the beginning since the birth of Christian.  Read some history from the beginning of Christian to now.   You will find noting but, havoc, killing other, stealing from other, raping other women and their own.  For instance, I think it was King George of England who said, "God had blessed them because of the disease that the European gave to the Native of what is now America."

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last