Message Boards

Topic : 06/08 Mind Control?

Number of Replies: 190
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 31, 2008, 04:13:15 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/05/08) It’s hard to believe, but in America alone, there may be as many as 5,000 religious groups preying upon the weak and vulnerable, and all in the name of God. Dr. Phil’s guests have warnings for you and your children. Seeta says when her 18-year-old daughter joined a religious group called 1 Mind Ministries, she left home with her 7-month-old son and never returned. Soon afterward, Seeta received the horrifying news that her grandson was found dead and her daughter was being charged with murder. Learn the disturbing details of this case and why Seeta says her daughter is innocent. Then, meet Norman, a college-educated husband and father who moved his family hundreds of miles to join a religious group that came with a price he says he never expected. Norman says he was enticed to join the House of Yahweh because of his strong desire to be part of a group. The House of Yahweh is a mysterious organization out of Abilene, Texas, led by Yisrayl Hawkins, a man who some say has more than 30 wives. As Norman and his family prepared for the end of the world, as Yisrayl Hawkins preached, Norman says he eventually realized why they were selected to join the group. You won’t believe the reason he gives! Then, meet a former wife of Yisrayl Hawkins, and learn the warning signs of mind control. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 5, 2008, 4:04 pm CST

It worries me...

It worries me that several times (at least four times PDT) during the broadcast of this episode on Dr. Phil, the program was interrupted.  I wonder if this was a form of censorship, or could this cult have access to the transmission and the ability to disrupt the message being presented?

There is something missing in a person's life to be swept into the lifestyle of any cult. JMHO.

November 5, 2008, 4:06 pm CST

11/05 Mind Control?

Well just watched the show. Thank god those people got their girls out of there.

I was taken back by the 4 mind control signs.

It reminds me of the PAS program. They do all these 4 steps after taking the child who does have a voice but can not be heard or a judge wont let it be heard.

All 4 of these steps are done, to the other parent.

Something to think about Dr. Phil.  Maybe talk to Dr. Rand and ask him if he feels what he does or does not do is mind control or if he is a member or some cult.

Maybe this PAS that is ran by this Dr. Rand is in one of these cults in his off time.

November 5, 2008, 4:38 pm CST

11/05 Mind Control?

Quote From: efffy_

ISBN: 9780440174721  Published March 1 1978... JeeZ!

Like I said, that could have been a SECOND printing, AND the poster could have mistaken the year they read the book. Big deal.

November 5, 2008, 4:41 pm CST

11/05 Mind Control?

Quote From: kathy_kak

It worries me that several times (at least four times PDT) during the broadcast of this episode on Dr. Phil, the program was interrupted.  I wonder if this was a form of censorship, or could this cult have access to the transmission and the ability to disrupt the message being presented?

There is something missing in a person's life to be swept into the lifestyle of any cult. JMHO.

The only interruption here in the Midwest was a short speech by Bush about the election.

November 5, 2008, 5:14 pm CST

Mind Control

I just want to make sure that this Yehweh is not being confused with the Institute Of Divine Metaphysical Research Inc.  We are a school and not a church and our Dr's teach the true Hebrew name.  We are a firm  believer that YAHSHUA  the Masiah is our Saviour.  The originally Hebrew name for God is Yahweh, Lord is Elohim and the holy spirit is Yahshua The Mesiah. 

November 5, 2008, 5:20 pm CST

I completely agree!

Quote From: mommylove531

My hubby and I also do not attend Church.  Mostly because we just don't take the time to go.  We both strongly believe in God and teach our children the same.  I feel religion is a very personal choice and we have been arguing for at least six years now about whether or not to baptize the children.  I feel they should make the choice when they are older and know how they actually feel about it.  There are some in his family that believe that if the children are not baptized they will not make it in to heaven if they were to pass at a young age.  I strongly disagree.  MY God would not keep a child from heaven because they were not washed clean of my sins.  I mean really.  That just pisses me off.  They also take the bible pretty literally in some cases and to me the bible is a good teaching tool and a story.  Not to be taken literally as it was passed orally numerous times before it was ever written down and has been rewritten per how someone else understood it.  It is not written for today's society.  I feel that if my children never choose to believe in God that I will ofcourse be disappointed but feel that as long as they are morally good, strong, loving people who are productive members of society that they will be fine and will end up in heaven with me anyway.  But if they get involved with some psychotic cult you can bet that I will be dragging them away by their hair kicking and screaming if need be.  Anyway sorry about the rant.
And that was no rant! My husband also has not been baptized but I can't imagine that the God that I believe in would hold that against him rather than judge him for the good and wonderful person he is. My husband wouldn't hurt a fly with the exception of being put under extreme circumstances and he has the best heart of any person that I have ever known. Four out of the five of me and my siblings have been baptized and several of them really don't put much thought into religion, God, etc.. They say they are just spiritual but don't necessarily believe in God. So who gets into Heaven and who doesn't? I strongly feel we can have our own personal relationship with God without the benefit of going to Church. BTW, as I'm sure you also believe, assuming that you must be baptized to get into Heaven is taking the Bible literally. I just can't do that. You are correct in the manner in which the Bible was formed, what was put in and what was even left out, what everything means, etc.. I agree that it should be left up to the child to decide as to whether they are to be baptized. When I was baptized I was way too young to even realize what it was for. I was only 5 years old. I too would be disappointed if my own children chose not to believe in God but I would also respect their decision and it certainly cannot be forced upon them. As to the cults? If any of my loved ones entered into one I too would drag them kicking and screaming if I had too. Luckily it doesn't look as if I will have anything to worry about. Thank God! I can't imagine how other family's feel knowing that they have loved ones, especially children who are under a cults control.

November 5, 2008, 5:21 pm CST

International Church of Christ

I joined the International Church of Christ in college and was a member for 14 years.  They persuaded me in with friendship, love and purpose in life.   My life was controlled by the members the minute I got baptized. 

They controlled where I lived, who I lived with, who I dated (ONLY members of the church), I had to confess sin to individuals & in groups, huge sums of money was given weekly & yearly for a "special contribution", my time and schedule was also controlled.  I had to get "advice" (really permission) before I made decisions, like how long to take a vacation, which person to date, etc.  They made me think that leaving the church = leaving God.   I was terrified to leave because they made me think I'd become consumed by "the world".

I've been free for 5 years and although it took awhile to get my life on track, (make decisions on my own, learn how to date, live by myself, etc)   I am so incredibly happy!  Thank God!

For more info on the International Church of Christ: www.reveal.org

November 5, 2008, 5:27 pm CST

"17 Kids and Counting

Quote From: acdowd

Dr. Phil,

I watched part of "17 Kids and Counting" on TLC this week, and I was alarmed by what I believe is children whose minds are being controlled by their parents.  After seeing your show today, I believe the Duggar family does display mind control at work.

1.  The children in this family are completely isolated from the outside world.  The parents in order to promote their strict religious doctrines do not allow their children to watch television or browse the internet.  They are also homeschooled so they are not exposed to ideas outside of their parents' views.

2.  The children's sense of identity is diminished by the fact that they are one of 17 children.  There is no way each child is getting special attention when they are one of so many.  Their identity has become "one of the Duggar children"

3.  Further evidence of the control was exhibited when the children interviewed were asked their views about dating and relationships.  According to their parents, it is best not to date, but rather find the one person you are intended to marry, get engaged, and then begin the courtship phase.  Also, during the courtship, the couple does not even kiss because the parents have told them that it is best to save the first kiss for the wedding.  This constant suppression of one's natural instincts has got to be harming the children.

Dr. Phil, I worry about the children in this family, and I think your show could be a good format for investigating their welfare.  I certainly promote a parent's choice to instill their personal values in their children, but when those children are not allowed to gain any other information outside of their parents in order to form their own beliefs, I believe a line is crossed.

November 5, 2008, 5:32 pm CST

I'm sorry but..............

Quote From: kathy_kak

Isn't this how conspiracy theory's get started?

November 5, 2008, 5:36 pm CST

They were in Michigan

I had seen this group in the area where I lived in Michigan in the late 1990's. The group used the same name and probably pursued the same activities, I don't know.  I just know they used an old Township Hall as their place of worship and for years I drove by it.  The sign they put up outside the building was House of Yahweh.  I asked a few people in the area what that was about but no one seemed to know and I just didn't pursue it.  Then one day they were gone.  Since it was not mentioned this group was active outside of Texas I wonder how many more of them are out there.  Is this guy the only one left or are there others?  Perhaps more people will come forward and let authorities know about other Yahweh groups out there.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last