Message Boards

Topic : 11/06 Dr. Phil's Get Real Retreat, Part 2

Number of Replies: 196
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 31, 2008, 04:16:39 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil continues his intense three-day retreat with 14 people who say they’re ready to change their lives. Struggling with issues such as addiction, anger, abuse and grief, guests confront their personal demons once and for all. After getting kicked out of the studio during Part 1, will everyone agree to stop wasting time? Part 2 introduces the remaining participants. Kaylee admits she abused her three children throughout their entire childhood. Now that they are grown and estranged from her, she says she’s ready to deal with her anger. Dr. Phil confronts Kaylee about the shocking truth of how she treated her kids. Then, throughout her childhood, Melissa’s father would share nightmare-inducing stories about how he would hypothetically kill someone and get away with it. She later learned that her father was not who she thought he was. Kelly says she blames herself for not being there for her father before he committed suicide. Jessica R. and Diona share their problems with weight and self-image, and Carina is trying to rein in her anger and hatred toward men. Jessica F. says she’s the most controlling person in the world. Nicole is so obsessed with perfection, she says she’s never had an intimate relationship, and Don is trying to come to terms with his drug-filled past. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 6, 2008, 1:09 pm CST

my life has been touched

I have seen myself and my life in alot of the people over the last 2 Thursdays shows! Wow i also grew up in an emotional rollercoaster home where my parents had no steady family relationships and that reflected onto me and my 3 brothers,and now being an adult it has separated us all! My dad left my mom 21 yrs ago and left all but 1 of 4 kids behind and started a whole new life without any of us. I havent seen 2 of the 3 brothers in 21 yrs and 3yrs. The youngest of the boys is addicted to drugs, lies, steals and has been in and out of prison and jail and he has 5 children by 4 different mothers and see none of them, doesnt pay child support and continues to live in the world of drugs! My middle brother is the one i havent seen for 21 yrs. he moved with his girlfriend during the divorce and hasnt had any contact since then. My oldest brother and i have bonded over the last 2 yrs and we have promised each other that we would do what ever it takes to stay close because we are all we have. Our mother has become a bitter women over the divorce and has isolated all of us from her life, we all just got thrown away as soon as the papers were signed, kinda like trash. I was married for almost 15 yrs until the one person i could count on decided to have an affair and we divorced. I became very depressed, but being a fighter i didnt give up, I met a wonderful man and have found love again and we were married on july 1,2006. There is alot that has happened, I have 2 children of my own a son and a daughter. My daughter had liver cancer at the age of 21 months she is now almost 10yrs old, she is my stength in life and the reason i go forward. My son is grown and will be 20yrs old he has lived with his father since he was 14 and has some problems getting his life together, but he is trying. All i really wanted to say is these people have helped me take a deeper look at my life and hearing Dr. Phil say today to one of the guest that she was dealt a bad hand and it wasnt her fault made me see that all the blame ive been carrying isnt my fault and that it was just a bad hand dealt and i have nothing to be ashammed of! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for doing this show and for allowing people to talk on this site about there feeling and life experiences. I wish everyone a fresh start after this cleaning of the souls, the truth will set you free. Good luck to all!

November 6, 2008, 1:13 pm CST

It takes two to tango...

I doubt anyone is holding a gun to anyone's head to get them in the sack, so the mistress and the married man or in other cases the married woman and her boyfriend are all guilty of wrongdoing.

November 6, 2008, 1:14 pm CST

control freaks

Hi Dr. Phil,

I watched your get real retreat today, and as many other people, i could relate to a few of the people on the show.

One person said she was a control freak and she told you all the things she does to her boyfriend to get what she wants, and I see my sister doing the same thing to her boyfriend and me.  She is currently not speaking to me because Im not willing to spend a bunch of money on a trip that i didnt really want to go on.  I hope she was watching your show today, so she can kind of see how she treats others.

Also i could relate with the anger issue.  Sometimes i get so frustrated that i cant control the tone of my voice, I will yell and cuss the heck out of my husband and fight with him till he retaliates and yells back, so I am going to watch and see if i can learn a thing or two, and find a more productive way of expressing myself.

Thank you for doing a show like this.

November 6, 2008, 1:16 pm CST

11/06 Dr. Phil's Get Real Retreat, Part 2

I can totally relate with the girl who hates herself.  I hate everything about myself right down to my eyebrows.  I hate looking in the mirror so much that I have a hard time getting ready for the day.  I dont want to look at myself.  I dont go shoppingin stores I do it all on line.  I grew up with a sister that was skinny and beautiful and I was always, always being compared to her.  People in my class would say "yor sister is so hot why cant you be more like her".  Let me tell you what that is hard to live with,  I have spent so much money on diet pills and the like that if I had it all back I would be financially secure.   My sister doenst hurt me on purpose but she is always  saying " I wish I could gain weight, I am too skinny".  I always hear that I got our parents bad traits and she got the good ones.   In high school I was taking laxatives and epicac, I lost alot of weight but, i have had two kids and it  all found me again.  I walk 3 miles everyday but I just cant stop eating.  Well, I guess thats enough "feeling sorry for me".  I hope that everyons on the show gets the help they need.

November 6, 2008, 1:16 pm CST

Jessica R

Hi

I see my self in Jessica R so much. Even though i do not suffer from a weight problem  I hate my self so much.  I feel like i am a total failure @ everything i do.  I am so afraid to leave the comforts of my house. i can even everything i am feel like i am a social outcast.  some days I wish i was not even a live i am better off dead.  i do take anti-depressant but the prescription is will be running out, i am so afraid to go to the Dr because they will think i am weird plus i do not have the money with me only working 5 hours a week for a minimum wage all the money i have got to feed my five dogs pretty much the only friends i have and i will not give them up for the world.  i am so scared to go to social services because i feel like a  failure to ask for help, 

November 6, 2008, 1:30 pm CST

THE ME NO ONE KNOWS

DR.PHIL

I BEEN WATCHING GET REAL RETREAT PART 1 & 2.

TODAY WHILE WATCHING PART 2 I NOTICED THAT IM NOT ONLY BEING PORTRAITE IN ONE OF YOUR QUEST BUT BY MANY OF THEM.

I TOO WEAR A SOCIAL MASK AND WATCH YOUR SHOW DAILY TO SECRETLY FIX MY OWN ISSUES.

November 6, 2008, 1:43 pm CST

hard to relate, can sympathize

I have never been to a psychologist or psychiatrist for myself. I did see a psychologist when I was divorcing my first husband. My husband didn't handle our break-up well, and was under a suicide watch. His doctor asked to see me. He told me I was one of the strongest and healthiest people he'd ever talked to. I've always been strong, level headed, and calm. Sometimes people annoy me when they are just weak. I just want to shake them. I do not compare that with real psychological or physical problems, of course. I am happy that there are doctors, and medicines out there to help, and I'm happy I will never need them.

November 6, 2008, 1:45 pm CST

relating to a lot of the show today..

Normally today i would have gone to work and would have been unable to watch the Dr. Phil show. But for some reason i called in, and i'm beginning to wonder if it's because of the show that came on today. I related to more than one of the stories that were shared today, and never have i really talked about any of my issues with anyone else because i am usually the person that other people come to with their problems. For almost 4 years now i have had a really bad problem with my attitude and anger. Up until recently me and my mother didnt really get along and in my young teen years she was not the best of mothers. She was never there for me or my sister, she went out all the time and didnt come home. And then when she realized that i was smoking pot and found paxil that i had taken from my stepmother hidden in my angel jewelry box and started to become this monster of a mother and screamed and cussed about things that had been going on for some time now, but since she found it and now she felt like she had to be a mother. Because if she wouldnt have found the pot, pill, alcohol, and things hidden in my room, she would have never cared. And to this day because she was not apart of my life during the important years that i needed someone besides my sister (who pretty much raised me at this point in our lives) i have a very bad attitude towards mainly her, but i just feel so angry at so many things that i cant even describe it. My mother also became very obsessed with losing weight when her and my father divorced when i was around 6 or 7. She took dietary pills, and she always had to be in those size 1 jeans once she had lost the weight. Today, i weigh 130 pounds and am completely disgusted with the way that i look. Almost 2 years ago, i weighed 165 pounds. I started taking the dietart supplement "The Burn" and lost 45 pounds, but not only that i became obsessed with working out, and what i ate, and how much of it i was going to eat; things of that nature. I am now on birth control because of ovarian cyst, and have gained almost 15 pounds, and i just feel like everything that i worked for is gone, and i am so unhappy with the way that i look and just all together the way that i am and the way my life is going. College is so difficult for me to focus on when all i think about is the way i am and how i want my life to change. Last semester, i didnt pass a class. And the semester before that, i was unable to pass two classes. I feel like i am just a failure, and that right now my life is going nowhere. Me and my boyfriend of 3 years just broke up 2 weeks ago and he could tell you how my anger gets sometimes (even though he has bad anger problems too). He has jokingly called my bi-polar before. The rage i feel when we fight is scary, but i use to not feel that way. And i just want all the anger, attitude, self-image problems, just everything i want it to go away. But i feel like i cant really talk to someone about it, especially someone in my family because they would judge me and think that i just need to get over everything. I dont want to say that i am depressed, because i am happy most of the time, and i know that there are many people out there with so much worse of problems than me, but i cant help thinking that i am. I just have an overwhelming feeling over me, and it's like i just want to escape from this bubble and find the real me. And let go of everything and everyone that has hurt me...but it's so much easier said than done.

November 6, 2008, 1:58 pm CST

On Hamsters

I hate when people (such as the controlling girl on the show) use animals.   It is just like using children, they can't help there surroundings and then end up getting neglected as a result.   She said she got two hamsters, instead of the one.  I certainly hope she didn't get two male hamsters because male hamsters are solitary and if caged together can kill each other.   I hope even more so she didn't get a male and a female and cage them together.   I would also hope that she got them at an animal shelter and not a pet store, but at this point I think I am just dreaming. 

November 6, 2008, 2:11 pm CST

Where am i?

I see myself in every person on that stage. Addiction, abuse, anger, fear. I can relate totally. but i don't know anything about myself. i dont remember my childhood. i dont know who i am other than who i am on a day to day basis. i KNOW i'm a pathelogical liar. I know i have borderline personality disorder. but i know nothing else. i know nothing about my family except their names. i have no idea why. and i've always clung to men. and allowed them to be closer to me than anyone else and walk all over me, yet i have a manipulative, controlling manner. I've been through rehab, been in institutes, been to therapists since i was 4. nothing has helped. i dont even know why i began going to see a therapist. no one told me. I have all these questions with no answers. I wish it was me at the retreat. i need something. i need answers. i need myself.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last