Message Boards

Topic : 04/08 Risky Teen Behavior

Number of Replies: 358
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 07, 2008, 02:41:23 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/11/08) How well do you know your teenager? Could your child be participating in risky or illegal activities right under your own roof? One popular teen trend is smoking or snorting the herb salvia to get high, and some kids have posted videos of their “salvia trips” on YouTube. Rebecca says her 16-year-old son, Jerry, smokes salvia and that he’s withdrawn and failing school. Jerry wonders why his salvia use is a big deal to his mother, because he says she not only allows him to smoke in the house, but she uses salvia too! Dr. Travis Stork, host of the hit show The Doctors, gives some sobering statistics on teen salvia usage. Rebecca and Jerry both say salvia, which is legal in most states, shouldn’t be outlawed in their home state of Texas. Charles Anderson, a Texas state representative, says he’s doing everything in his power to make sure this hallucinogenic herb is banned. What does Dr. Phil think? Then, the "choking game" made headlines when it was reported that teens were dying or becoming seriously injured by strangling each other until passing out. Britt fears that her son, Kevin, may be starting a new version of this trend. Find out what it is, and watch shocking footage of Kevin engaged in this potentially deadly activity. And, sex texting or sexting is a new trend where teens send explicit photos of themselves via their cell phones. One mom says she caught her 12-year-old daughter forwarding nude photos of herself to boys and wonders what punishment she should impose. Plus, find out what you should do if you suspect your teen is involved in risky behavior. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 8, 2008, 3:29 pm CST

I don't think a ban will work

Quote From: taf1013

I am thrilled that this shows is being aired.  I cannot believe that this is legal and hopefully if enough parents protest,  it will be banned.
Just like with every other drug if people want it they will find a way to get it.   I previously spend 1.5 years working in a drug treatment center and never had a client express difficulty getting or finding any illegal drug.  

A  ban will further clog up the legal system and cost the tax payers (aka you and me) money.   

People need to take responsibility for there own lives and there childrens lives.  

November 8, 2008, 3:37 pm CST

My Ex Roomate was a teacher

Here are a few words I would use to describe him: alcoholic, sex addict/obsessed, hypocrite, lier, overspender, irresponsible. 

On some school nights he would come home in the early am hours of the am drunk with some girl who he would proceed to drink more with at the apartment and then take into his bedroom.   He would then wake-up 3 hours later (sometimes with the girl still in the apartment) and go to school.  

By the way he taught at a private school not a public school, so that is something to think about before you put your kids in private school.   The public schools I don't think would hire someone like him.  

November 8, 2008, 3:53 pm CST

Risky Teen Behavior

How can a mother sit back and allow her child to do this.  I am struggling with a nineteen year old son, who has recently been caught for smoking weed.  I am furious about this.  I told him I would try to get him help if he admitted that he needed it, however, he refused.  I had to kick him out of my house until he discovered that he had a problem.  He is now back in the court system.  I will help him but I will not support him.  Any mother that lets their child do any type of drug needs to have a reality check.  These kids are not ours forever,  they are only ours for a while.  The Lord can call them home anytime.  Wake up America lets get the drugs out.

November 8, 2008, 3:57 pm CST

Salvia

I am thrilled that this shows is being aired.  I cannot believe that this is legal and hopefully if enough parents protest,  it will be banned.
I live in a small town in New Brunswick Canada, this drug is all over here, we as parents are in horror as we went to the store that is selling it, and got the reply, "call the RCMP it's legal", can you believe it, and this store is directly across the street from a school.  We don't know what to do because all we get no matter where we go is the same, "IT'S LEGAL",,,Thank you for exposing this.

November 8, 2008, 4:13 pm CST

11/11 Risky Teen Behavior

THIS MOTHER THAT ALLOWS HER SON TO SMOKE THIS SHOULD BE JAILED AND BE TAKEN AWAY FROM HER.  WHAT IS SHE THINKING?   TO COME ON THE SHOW TAKES ALOT OF GULL IS SHE PROUD OF THIS?
Yeah but when your child can go to school and get just about any drug s/he may be so inclined...do you really want them getting it from someone without really knowing what they're getting?  If your child is DETERMINED to do a drug wouldn't you want them to know that your not going to judge them so that they will come to you and give you an opportunity to give them the facts and show them the the right information?  And after all that if your child is dead set on getting and doing a particular drug wouldn't you want to present them with safer alternatives?  And if they still want to smoke marijuana or salvia wouldn't you want to be sure no one has tampered with it so as to prevent them from putting themselves in a comprimising situation with someone who might take advantage of them and their unsuspecting nature because no one educated them about the drug world?  But some of you out there would rather have a harmless plant (Do the research...it's harmless) be criminalized so your curious child gets criminalized and probably sent to a juvinile detention center where he will learn ALL about drugs, how to make them, how to sell them, and meet all the people necessary to get rich doing so.  Criminal college for kids!   Where guards and staff have been caught time and again molesting and abusing them so as to ensure a traumatized and repressed society incapable of personal responsibility that demands government protection from themselves.

November 8, 2008, 5:20 pm CST

Its not that bad.

Quote From: mrsmelodie

My writing partner and I have been working on a project about Salvia.

I am Horrified that an adult would give this to a child.

I am horrified that children have access to this.

Sometimes I think that common sense has flown out of the window.

everyone is freaking out about  this salvia, Its not that bad and its ok for teens to do it, people should be happy that there kids are doing this other than crystal meth. people also say that those light drugs lead to harder ones but its not totally true, Its up to the person who needs to be smart enough to know better/

November 8, 2008, 5:37 pm CST

Salvia

Although teenagers' use -- and the videos of their salvia experiences -- can
dismay and shock others, as far as I know there have been no trips
to emergency rooms for overdose complications and, more often than not,
one salvia experience is all a young person wants to try because the
results can terrify them.
 But a blanket prohibition is not the answer. It did not work for alcohol,
nor does it work for other reality-bending substances. The human animal has an
innate drive to change their consciousness and has been doing so since prehistory.
  If you feel the need for some sort of control on salvia, I suggest you go the
route that Maine and California took and ask your legislature to control the
sale to underage minors.  
  But please do not push to outlaw its use by responsible adults who, along the lines
of other natural medicines such as peyote and ayahuasca, use it for spiritual and healing
purposes!  As a wise man wrote:
"Bliss is not an experience, It is your nature.
 This is the Heart of the Wise."

November 8, 2008, 6:13 pm CST

What!?!

Quote From: mrsmelodie

My writing partner and I have been working on a project about Salvia.

I am Horrified that an adult would give this to a child.

I am horrified that children have access to this.

Sometimes I think that common sense has flown out of the window.
Ok, I've been using salvia for about a year now, and it's retarded about what some people do! I've used it responsibly, I've let others, of legal age, try it and made sure to inform them of all the downsides of the use (bad trips lasting longer if they aren't in the right frame of mind) as well as the benefits (euphoria lasting a while afterwards). I NEVER let someone try it while I'm on it, I always am sober while I let others try it to guide them on what they are seeing, feeling, etc. I personally feel that we should have higher age limits on it's use and/or a licensing procedure for it's use. I never, ever, let a person use it who has any negative feelings about anything because it could potentially cause those feelings to increase. I am at least one of the responsible user, and I always advise the people using it on the best methods of its use. This includes, how long to keep it in your lungs, the health stand points on it (such as chemical break down and the creation of tar in the lungs).

November 8, 2008, 6:20 pm CST

the legality of salvia

Quote From: gabby12127

I live in a small town in New Brunswick Canada, this drug is all over here, we as parents are in horror as we went to the store that is selling it, and got the reply, "call the RCMP it's legal", can you believe it, and this store is directly across the street from a school.  We don't know what to do because all we get no matter where we go is the same, "IT'S LEGAL",,,Thank you for exposing this.
These kids shouldn't be using it. I use it on occasion when I need a "vacation" from reality. It's completely non addictive and the only reason I use it is because it's a safer alternative to LSD and acid. I've never used those two drugs and I never intend to. Over the course of the last year, I've used salvia six times and I think that it should have higher restrictions for people to use it. I support a licensing procedure and a higher age restriction on it. I'm 20 by the way.

November 8, 2008, 7:20 pm CST

LSD was legal before the cops found out about

Many drugs like extacy etc.. were NOT ILLEGAL until someone got hurt , and someone made too much money  off of it. So make it illegal like the rest of the junk that makes kids from India,China and  other places do so much better in school than our kids.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last