Message Boards

Topic : 04/08 Risky Teen Behavior

Number of Replies: 358
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 07, 2008, 02:41:23 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/11/08) How well do you know your teenager? Could your child be participating in risky or illegal activities right under your own roof? One popular teen trend is smoking or snorting the herb salvia to get high, and some kids have posted videos of their “salvia trips” on YouTube. Rebecca says her 16-year-old son, Jerry, smokes salvia and that he’s withdrawn and failing school. Jerry wonders why his salvia use is a big deal to his mother, because he says she not only allows him to smoke in the house, but she uses salvia too! Dr. Travis Stork, host of the hit show The Doctors, gives some sobering statistics on teen salvia usage. Rebecca and Jerry both say salvia, which is legal in most states, shouldn’t be outlawed in their home state of Texas. Charles Anderson, a Texas state representative, says he’s doing everything in his power to make sure this hallucinogenic herb is banned. What does Dr. Phil think? Then, the "choking game" made headlines when it was reported that teens were dying or becoming seriously injured by strangling each other until passing out. Britt fears that her son, Kevin, may be starting a new version of this trend. Find out what it is, and watch shocking footage of Kevin engaged in this potentially deadly activity. And, sex texting or sexting is a new trend where teens send explicit photos of themselves via their cell phones. One mom says she caught her 12-year-old daughter forwarding nude photos of herself to boys and wonders what punishment she should impose. Plus, find out what you should do if you suspect your teen is involved in risky behavior. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 8, 2008, 8:43 pm CST

Act like a parent!

Take the cell phone away. If your teen is not being responsible with it they dont need to be able to enjoy the privlage of having one! If you think it is needed for important communication, buy them a cell phone that dosent have a camera..they still make them, you know!

November 9, 2008, 12:20 am CST

Am I missing something?

Isn't Salvia simply sage? Or a form of sage (perhaps what is called Sheva here)?

These herbs are used in cooking? Why should they be banned?

I seem to remember oregano, catnip and even inner banana peel scrapings being used in the 60s for smoking.

None of those were banned.

People can abuse anything.

Banning an herb used in cooking is crazy.

November 9, 2008, 4:33 am CST

wow

Quote From: trigreen

Here are a few words I would use to describe him: alcoholic, sex addict/obsessed, hypocrite, lier, overspender, irresponsible. 

On some school nights he would come home in the early am hours of the am drunk with some girl who he would proceed to drink more with at the apartment and then take into his bedroom.   He would then wake-up 3 hours later (sometimes with the girl still in the apartment) and go to school.  

By the way he taught at a private school not a public school, so that is something to think about before you put your kids in private school.   The public schools I don't think would hire someone like him.  
that is horrible.  and people wonder, with teachers like this, why home schooling is becoming more popular.

November 9, 2008, 4:36 am CST

responsible?

Quote From: jaguarzone

Ok, I've been using salvia for about a year now, and it's retarded about what some people do! I've used it responsibly, I've let others, of legal age, try it and made sure to inform them of all the downsides of the use (bad trips lasting longer if they aren't in the right frame of mind) as well as the benefits (euphoria lasting a while afterwards). I NEVER let someone try it while I'm on it, I always am sober while I let others try it to guide them on what they are seeing, feeling, etc. I personally feel that we should have higher age limits on it's use and/or a licensing procedure for it's use. I never, ever, let a person use it who has any negative feelings about anything because it could potentially cause those feelings to increase. I am at least one of the responsible user, and I always advise the people using it on the best methods of its use. This includes, how long to keep it in your lungs, the health stand points on it (such as chemical break down and the creation of tar in the lungs).
I don't think so.  If you were a responsible person you would not be doing it or encouraging others to use.

November 9, 2008, 7:21 am CST

About the Cell Phone Pictures

I believe that the mother with the daughter who is sending nude pictures of herself has a real "no-brainer" solution -- TAKE THE DARN CELL PHONE AWAY!!  And, I mean, forever!

November 9, 2008, 8:56 am CST

I know

Quote From: princess1

that is horrible.  and people wonder, with teachers like this, why home schooling is becoming more popular.
He was just so irresponsible in so many ways.  He bought a dog instead of getting it from the shelter and then said he didn't have the money for obidience school for it.   He would spend 30 dollars out at a bar at a time and then say he didn't have money for the rent and other bills (which he blamed on the government of course).   He would waste electricity leaving lights on and appliance not in use plugged in all because he said it didn't matter because the landlord payed the bill.  Maybe it didn't matter to him, but it should because people like him are the reason that one day soon the whole East Coast where we live may be under water.  

November 9, 2008, 11:20 am CST

Doctor Phil Show.

Behavior Doctor Phil Risky Teen. Oh yea baby now you talking my language. I see some teenagers

are like that. See you on Tuesday November 11th, 2008. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.--------

November 9, 2008, 4:43 pm CST

sex texting

Quote From: tricia5387

The mother of the 12 yr old needs to get her into therapy besides taking her cell phone away. This girl was the victim of sexual abuse at an early age. One of the side effects of sexual abuse is promiscuity, and she is acting out what her molestation taught her. I will also venture to bet the child's mother was abused sexually when she was a child, it usually happens that way. Punishing her will not do any good, and a good therapist will get to the heart of the matter and work with the girl. Clearly, this child's boundaries were violated and self esteem damaged. Both mother and daughter will have a long road to healing, but with the right kind of help, they can come out of the other side of this hellish nightmare called child sexual abuse........

I agree that the possibility of the 12 year old daughter may have had a sexual experience before any of her texting began.  But when, with who and why is not known.  Counseling with a therapist would be a good idea before she acts out her body language over the cell phoning stops.  Taking the phone away will let her know that her actions are not acceptable because of the danger she is putting herself in with the information getting into the wrong hands.  Explaining the danger to her about this will also help her with her possible past sexual actions.  Daughters are so fragile before the teen years.  Boys on the other hand are acting on their raging hormones and some do not  try to contain themselves.   Sex and drugs sometimes go together and it might be a good idea to have the drug talk along with the sex talk.

November 9, 2008, 5:02 pm CST

Thank You

Thank you for having shows that can help teens.  I hope you have more!!!  I am a health teacher and I appreciate your research and advice on how to direct teens who need help to appropriate resources. 

November 10, 2008, 3:31 am CST

Educating yourselves on Salvia divininorum

I see a lot of knee jerk reactions toward Salvia divinorum on this board, and I usually wouldn't post to such a sensationalistic forum, but how many people who have posted here about the dangers of this herb have actually educated themselves about it?

There are many sources online which describe the true effects of Salvia divinorum such as the potential for scientific research which might afford treatments for horrific diseases such as Alzheimers and Schizophrenia, and
other pertinent information which might be of some value to those who  are not educated about this plant.

An easy place to start would be the Wikipedia article on Salvia divininorum and the link to that article is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_divinorum

As far as "protecting the children" is concerned, did you know that the only way your child can buy this herb online is with your credit card? If your child is using your credit card, it's your responsibility to find out how and why they are using it.

Parenting is a tough job, but it's the parent's job, not the government's, and illegalizing something so potentially beneficial in stopping the progress of devastating disease, out of fear for your kids is not fair to the rest of society.

Everything is not about the children,  and if you help get this herb banned  by remaining ignorant to its medical potential, remember the adults(whose lives have value too) that could have been enriched by the research.

Please don't rely on sensationalism; educate yourselves.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last