Message Boards

Topic : 04/08 Risky Teen Behavior

Number of Replies: 358
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 07, 2008, 02:41:23 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/11/08) How well do you know your teenager? Could your child be participating in risky or illegal activities right under your own roof? One popular teen trend is smoking or snorting the herb salvia to get high, and some kids have posted videos of their “salvia trips” on YouTube. Rebecca says her 16-year-old son, Jerry, smokes salvia and that he’s withdrawn and failing school. Jerry wonders why his salvia use is a big deal to his mother, because he says she not only allows him to smoke in the house, but she uses salvia too! Dr. Travis Stork, host of the hit show The Doctors, gives some sobering statistics on teen salvia usage. Rebecca and Jerry both say salvia, which is legal in most states, shouldn’t be outlawed in their home state of Texas. Charles Anderson, a Texas state representative, says he’s doing everything in his power to make sure this hallucinogenic herb is banned. What does Dr. Phil think? Then, the "choking game" made headlines when it was reported that teens were dying or becoming seriously injured by strangling each other until passing out. Britt fears that her son, Kevin, may be starting a new version of this trend. Find out what it is, and watch shocking footage of Kevin engaged in this potentially deadly activity. And, sex texting or sexting is a new trend where teens send explicit photos of themselves via their cell phones. One mom says she caught her 12-year-old daughter forwarding nude photos of herself to boys and wonders what punishment she should impose. Plus, find out what you should do if you suspect your teen is involved in risky behavior. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 9, 2009, 1:34 pm CDT

From a teens point of view

Dr. Phil,

My friend and I watched your show yesterday and we both thought that the show had some good points and we understood where you and the parents were coming from. But we both agree that neither you nor the parents gave those kids a GOOD ENOUGH reason to make them STOP doing what they are doing. We both agreed that if we were those kids we would probably continue doing the same thing because no one is making them understand what can REALLY happen. They will not stop because telling them wont do any good, they need to see and feel the consequences now. Our only point is that we have been in that age and did not care what adults had to say and they need some kind of other influence on them.

April 10, 2009, 10:55 am CDT

Are these parents kidding?

I cant beleve that parents are so concerned about being their childs friend, they forget their job as mom.  I had a baby when i was young and although i am no a perfect parent, my daughter knows i am not here to be her friend, i am her mom first and foremost.  I have plenty of time to be her friend when she is an adult. 

WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!! 

And where were thses kids fathers?  Sexting at 12?? how low of a self esteem and what is she looking for? take the phone away ~~IF You pay for it., it belongs to you~~~and even in some cases, if they pay for it, it still belongs to you if they live in your house!

WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO??

April 10, 2009, 2:00 pm CDT

04/08 Risky Teen Behavior

As I watched the show today I saw a teenager who is struggling with self identity and is very scared and angry.  She has no idea who she is but you can tell she is angry at everyone.  The question is why.  If I knew that I would have been able to help myself when I was a teenager.  I saw a lot of myself in her today and it scared me.  She won't get the satisfaction or happiness she is looking for and will keep looking for it even if it means taking it to the next level.  (sex or drugs)  Her parents need to really dig into what is going on in her head, I recommend a good therapist.

April 11, 2009, 9:27 pm CDT

Not True

im a sixteen year old at my high school. i watched this dr phil show and i disagree about how the show perceived straight a students as the role models teenagers should be striving to be. i admit im a honor student at my school and have never gotten drunk or high, but i am the only person at my school that i know of who hasnt at least tried doing something like that. truthfully, from a student's perspective, your straight A student is as likely to do drugs as your stoner, or failing student. many adults think honor roll students dont do bad things. truth is they do, theyre just better at hiding it. before you day something such as your straight A student might even be doing it, stop and get the peer perspective, not the adult's. i can honestly tell you adults dont know hardly anything about what teenagers live everyday. teenagers are doing everything imagianable, theyre just getting better about hiding it

April 12, 2009, 7:53 am CDT

more dangerous legal substances than salvia

Quote From: mindandbody

I understand why teens should not use salvia, I just don't understand WHY we need to ban this drug.

You need to be of age to buy salvia, 18 or 19 I believe. If we don't want teens to use this, enforce this law. Banning the drug is foolish. It does not pose any threat, and no addiction potential. It is only addictive if you WANT it to be addictive. There are plenty more legal substances out there that pose a much larger threat.

Any response?

I can think of one plant that grows in abundance all along the roadside that makes salvia look harmless. Jimson weed, or datura is an indigenous plant to the U.S. and has been recorded in American history as being  attributed to placing an entire regiment of red coat solders into a coma outside Jamestown during the revolutionary war. The effects are delirium, euphoria, and coma just to name a few. In large doses it is lethal and is very easy to obtain. In my opinion salvia should not be baned, it should be enforced that no one under the age of eighteen should be allowed to purchase and anyone who dose provide it to minors be prosecuted. Isn't that why we have the contributing to the delinquency laws? Become educated on subjects like this and don't lose your rights that our forefathers fought so hard to provide for us all. If you actually listen in school and put forth an effort to do more than just squeak by you can actually lean something, if you don't make the effort some one else will make the decision's of life for you and isn't that why we left Briton in the first place?

April 18, 2009, 12:05 am CDT

This is funny!

Quote From: diane824

im a sixteen year old at my high school. i watched this dr phil show and i disagree about how the show perceived straight a students as the role models teenagers should be striving to be. i admit im a honor student at my school and have never gotten drunk or high, but i am the only person at my school that i know of who hasnt at least tried doing something like that. truthfully, from a student's perspective, your straight A student is as likely to do drugs as your stoner, or failing student. many adults think honor roll students dont do bad things. truth is they do, theyre just better at hiding it. before you day something such as your straight A student might even be doing it, stop and get the peer perspective, not the adult's. i can honestly tell you adults dont know hardly anything about what teenagers live everyday. teenagers are doing everything imagianable, theyre just getting better about hiding it

You say  "Adults don't know hardly anything about what teenagers live everyday"

Do you think that all adults were born as adults? Hardly! We too were once teenagers and drugs were around then also. As a matter of fact I smoked a bit of weed myself as a teen. How do you think we know what kids are up to, because we've been there. It never ceases to amaze me that teens think they can pull the wool over an adults eyes or that we are blind to what they are doing. Or, that we do not understand because we've never been through it. We........... have..........beeen........through.........it!

I do agree that an A student is just as likely to try drugs or alcohol as the next kid, but they are not the ones who will typically become a chronic user. They plan to go to college and want more from life, are more responsible. That is the point.

When will teens stop believing that all adults were hatched from eggs as grown human beings and have never experienced being a teen themselves? I hope someday soon.

May 13, 2009, 6:47 am CDT

Quote From: mommazilla

I am horrified that a mother  (a teacher ) would allow he son to smoke something that makes him hallucinate " legal or not". I hope that parents in the school district where she teaches were watching and Demand she be Fired. Minimally I would pull my kids from her class!  She's no roll model I'd want my kids around.

And why in the world didn't Dr Phil report this woman to her local child protection agency?????? It's his duty as a healthcare professional.

May 13, 2009, 7:08 am CDT

Quote From: jewelsf

First of all I want to say that you make a very positive and educated point on the decision to use this substance or any other for that matter. You are correct, some of the others on here do in fact make a very bad case for keeping it legal. I prefer to read something from someone such as you or Matt who can discuss this in an informative and mature manner. Many times the arguments people have just make them look less credible in my eyes.

I want to thank you for all of this information and thank you for fueling my curiosity. Let me tell you a little about myself and one of the reasons as to why I am so interested in this substance. I have been disabled for almost 10 years due to 2 failed back surgeries and 1 reconstructive surgery which has left me in severe chronic pain. I also suffer from Fibromyalgia and they believe Lupus. Because of my back pain I have been on Oxycontin for about 7 or 8 years now. I'm on a fairly high dose and really don't want to go up any higher, although I will probably have to, but at the current dosage the pain is overwhelming. I want to state up front that I do not ever get high, catch a buzz, or even feel the Oxy after I take it. Believe me, when you have to use it medicinally that goes away real fast, plus the pain overrides the effects of the opiates almost immediately after beginning this form of pain control. I'm at the point now where many times I can't even tell if I have taken my med's. so I have to keep them in one of those little daily reminder pill boxes. I am also at the point to where I am abusing over the counter Aleve in my quest for pain relief. This, I know for a fact is very dangerous!

When Matt began to inform me of the other more beneficial aspects to this substance I immediately began to wonder if it was something that would be beneficial to me. I would love to find something else that helps to control severe chronic pain without there having to be a narcotic involved or even in conjunction with narcotics to help ease the suffering. Also, if there ever comes a day where I need to change my med's due to the problems going on with the DEA and the pharmaceutical companies I will need to detox my body from the Oxy, the opiates that it has gotten used to. Not something that I would look forward to!

As time passes I am getting worse and my quality of life is decreasing on almost a weekly basis now. I also fear ending up in a wheelchair someday. If there are benefits to be found in this substance I certainly hope that they are being looked into and possibly something extremely good can come of it. I agree that if there is a hysterical reaction to it from the word go that it could be looked upon just as opiates are by the DEA, which we don't need. If you have any information about what I've just told you I would really appreciate your help. I also suffer from nausea and I rarely ever eat due to the pain and the nausea both. there is usually one or the other going on.

Thank you for all of the information that you have provided me with,

Jewels

So, there may not be a physical dependence or withdrawal...but addiction is also a psychological dependence which ruins life just as well as a substance whom one becomes physically dependent on.

First | Prev | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | Next Page | Last Page