Message Boards

Topic : 04/08 Risky Teen Behavior

Number of Replies: 358
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 07, 2008, 02:41:23 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/11/08) How well do you know your teenager? Could your child be participating in risky or illegal activities right under your own roof? One popular teen trend is smoking or snorting the herb salvia to get high, and some kids have posted videos of their “salvia trips” on YouTube. Rebecca says her 16-year-old son, Jerry, smokes salvia and that he’s withdrawn and failing school. Jerry wonders why his salvia use is a big deal to his mother, because he says she not only allows him to smoke in the house, but she uses salvia too! Dr. Travis Stork, host of the hit show The Doctors, gives some sobering statistics on teen salvia usage. Rebecca and Jerry both say salvia, which is legal in most states, shouldn’t be outlawed in their home state of Texas. Charles Anderson, a Texas state representative, says he’s doing everything in his power to make sure this hallucinogenic herb is banned. What does Dr. Phil think? Then, the "choking game" made headlines when it was reported that teens were dying or becoming seriously injured by strangling each other until passing out. Britt fears that her son, Kevin, may be starting a new version of this trend. Find out what it is, and watch shocking footage of Kevin engaged in this potentially deadly activity. And, sex texting or sexting is a new trend where teens send explicit photos of themselves via their cell phones. One mom says she caught her 12-year-old daughter forwarding nude photos of herself to boys and wonders what punishment she should impose. Plus, find out what you should do if you suspect your teen is involved in risky behavior. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 8, 2008, 10:24 am CST

11/11 Risky Teen Behavior

That 12-year-old "sex" texter's mother ought to take her camera phone away. And, if she wants to give her another cell phone, for emergency use, it should be one with no camera or texting capability. Programmed to only make calls to, and receive them from, numbers she has selected.

November 8, 2008, 12:54 pm CST

salvia

My writing partner and I have been working on a project about Salvia.

I am Horrified that an adult would give this to a child.

I am horrified that children have access to this.

Sometimes I think that common sense has flown out of the window.

November 8, 2008, 1:17 pm CST

Sex Texter.......

The mother of the 12 yr old needs to get her into therapy besides taking her cell phone away. This girl was the victim of sexual abuse at an early age. One of the side effects of sexual abuse is promiscuity, and she is acting out what her molestation taught her. I will also venture to bet the child's mother was abused sexually when she was a child, it usually happens that way. Punishing her will not do any good, and a good therapist will get to the heart of the matter and work with the girl. Clearly, this child's boundaries were violated and self esteem damaged. Both mother and daughter will have a long road to healing, but with the right kind of help, they can come out of the other side of this hellish nightmare called child sexual abuse........

November 8, 2008, 1:31 pm CST

It's children like that who make me wonder whats going on in their home? What have their parents tought them about their bodies? Do they not know that they are puting themselves at risk for those pictures being places on the internet by others? What would they do if they saw a picture or video of themselves on the internet in that way? I'm sure in one sense they would feel ashamed but on the other hand it's all for attention. If parents would pay more attention to what their children are doing then this would not be happening and there are no excuses good enough. I'm curious to see what this show brings for these children. I hope it's a reality check not only for the children but the parents as well.

November 8, 2008, 1:34 pm CST

With respects to salvia...

Quote From: ramair

That 12-year-old "sex" texter's mother ought to take her camera phone away. And, if she wants to give her another cell phone, for emergency use, it should be one with no camera or texting capability. Programmed to only make calls to, and receive them from, numbers she has selected.
In my opinion, making a natural growing plant illegal just makes it more appealing, and marketable for a large profit. Pretty soon, if we don't address the REAL, underlying problems, we will be outlawing every herb, spice, plant, tree... and people will still be finding ways to get high with all the pharmaceuticals that most likely are always going to be prevalent.

The underlying problems today with our society, seem to me to be that no matter how much people acquire in material things, and no matter how much money they make and save and invest, most families are not satisfied or happy.

We seem to have lost the ability to make jokes and laugh; rarely does an entire family sit together around the dining table for at least one meal a day, talking about what's going on in their lives; computers and cell phones, as amazing and wonderful as they are, have become society's ways of forming and maintaining relationships, instead of really interacting on a face-to-face basis.

Obviously, I have a computer and a cell phone. I have had them for more than 15 years. I began noticing that the computer was slowly eating away at my time for doing other things, so I consciously stopped allowing it to consume time I could be using to go out with friends, cook full meals, read books and magazines, work in the yard, and etc. Now I keep the sound turned off when I'm not using it, because I don't WANT to know every time a new e-mail comes in; that's what started 'hooking' me, in the first place!

After I realized computer addiction was going to be a bigger problem if I didn't exercise self-discipline, I didn't make the same mistake with the cell phone. I have it with me for emergencies when I'm out, but it's always off and in the drawer when I'm home. If someone wants to reach me, they either call the land line, or they send an e-mail and I'll get around to answering the e-mail the next time I sit down at the computer.

I'm happier, I find, when I'm not tied to these technological wonders that have, for far too many people, become a virtual world in which we all can be anonymous and fabricate how and who we are. Honesty with one's self and with others is a skill that's being lost, because of these modern day conveniences.

And the stress of always trying to have the newest and best of everything, along with driving ourselves crazy, trying to afford and get the children to all the extra-curricular activities, while trying to maintain a gentile household wherein people actually find joy in being with each other, is another reason society is turning to ways to alter our realities.

So, until we learn to slow down, communicate with each other again, face-to-face, and stop creating the stressful situations that are causing parents and children alike to want to "escape," we won't be happy. It sets a poor example for the kids, when the parents rely on prescription drugs or alcohol to keep them going at a helter-skelter pace; so once we stop and deal with the underlying problems, there will always be another natural plant to ban because we're only treating the symptoms, not the cause.

All things in moderation... that's the best advice anyone can give and take.

November 8, 2008, 1:48 pm CST

salvia

Quote From: mrsmelodie

I am thrilled that this shows is being aired.  I cannot believe that this is legal and hopefully if enough parents protest,  it will be banned.

November 8, 2008, 1:50 pm CST

SALVIA

THIS MOTHER THAT ALLOWS HER SON TO SMOKE THIS SHOULD BE JAILED AND BE TAKEN AWAY FROM HER.  WHAT IS SHE THINKING?   TO COME ON THE SHOW TAKES ALOT OF GULL IS SHE PROUD OF THIS?

November 8, 2008, 2:03 pm CST

You're kidding right?

Quote From: mrsmelodie

Horrified children have access to this?  This, not alcohol in your cabinets.  This, not the pharmacueticals in your cabinet like vicodin, Xanx, or so many others.  This, not the crack cocaine my girlfriends nephew would come home telling us of other kids passing around the lunch table at school.  This, not the Amphetamines your doctor might perscribe for him.  Sometimes I think that common sense has flown out of the window.

November 8, 2008, 2:52 pm CST

Risky Teen Behavior

Wouldn't it be nice if you could get the cell phone company's to work with you.  They won't.  With all the technology out there, the cell phone company's refuse to help a parent.  WHY?  Because they won't make as much money.  Sad, isn't it.

I do agree that the cell phone should be taken away.  The 12 year old should have the cell phone placed where the sun doesn't shine and photograph that to send to her friends.  Come on, what are these kids thinking...  The worst thing about it is, she can take digital pictures and do the same thing.

I'm not sure how to make these kids realize the behavior they are participating in is unhealthy.  What do the boys think of her after she does this.  I'm sure they egg her on because I know adult men who do the same thing.

As for the Silvia drug...  The mother who LET'S her son do it has got to be kidding.  And we wonder why there is so much dysfunction in the world.  The other shocking thing is...  She is a freaking school teacher.  How would you like to have THAT as your child's teacher.

I may sound like a "no fun" type of person but we have lowered the standers in this country to a all time low.  God, help us all.

November 8, 2008, 3:24 pm CST

Quote From: taf1013

I am thrilled that this shows is being aired.  I cannot believe that this is legal and hopefully if enough parents protest,  it will be banned.
That's right prohibition works.  Never mind increased addiction rates or the huge narcotic syndicates that have a new source of revenue from one more prohibition.  Criminalizing users works because they're sent to criminal college for several years and develop contacts that lead to organized crime networks.  (Sarcasm if you missed it).  Anyone notice a pattern here?  People writing intelligent well thought out reports with researched informative viewpoints saying that prohibition of Salvia is both unreasonable and pointless.  Yet a handful of two to four liners with no real references managing to demonize an object?  Seriously America, whatever happened to personal responsibility?  Whatever happens to the freedom of this great nation when we ask government to control our decisions for us?

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last