Message Boards

Topic : 11/13 Dr. Phil's Get Real Retreat, Part 3

Number of Replies: 166
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 07, 2008, 02:46:30 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
In his bold new series where 14 people get real about their lives, Dr. Phil leads his guests through an exercise that lifts the weight of their burdens off their shoulders. Then, Dr. Phil tells the participants to pair up with a buddy -- someone they can rely on throughout the retreat. When Kelly, whose father committed suicide, partners with Kathleen, who often thinks about taking her own life, Kelly finds her purpose in the retreat and makes a commitment to Kathleen. But will Kathleen accept Dr. Phil’s proposal to keep her safe? Then, it’s an emotional day in the studio as the guests share the heartbreaking moment in their lives when they became a victim. Wade moves the group to tears when he recounts the day his life changed forever. Will the participants find emotional closure on their pasts and take a step toward a healthier future? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 13, 2008, 1:18 pm CST

11/13 Dr. Phil's Get Real Retreat, Part 3

Quote From: deathisnear

I have no reason to live. I have made my decision to leave this life. Looking at complete past to now I see the hand I was dealt, as well as bad choices made, I've decided that there is no reason to go on any further. I am mentally and physically drained and empty. I just pray that God will accept me for the flaws within me considering that this was how I was created and turned out to be. Hope to see you, as well as be seen on the other side.
There is always a reason to live. There is always someone worse off then you are. Help someone else that is struggling. Do not be selfish. Who are you going to hurt?  You cannot make these sorts of decisions from a bottom of a dark pit because you cannot see what is in the light. Get some help.

November 13, 2008, 1:19 pm CST

Trauma

When I was Eleven, I was raped by a classmate at my dad's house in my room. I thought we were friends, but we weren't. Sure, we were like any grade six and crushing, but I had no idea he wanted more. As if that weren't bad enough, I was raped again by my girl friend when I was 13. She made me perform oral sex on her when I told her I didn't want to. Then, when I was sixteen, another girl friend of mine (we were exes at the time), raped me in my sleep. I've had other problems, raised by a single mother who had her own issues, which she projected onto me and my baby sister and I had to protect her from that. I'm trying really hard to get past everything, but I have a long way to go before that happens. I'm pretty much depressed all the time, but I'm still fighting.

November 13, 2008, 1:22 pm CST

understanding

I was a child who was never abused but also never told by my father that I was loved.  My brother and sister were abused very badly as was my mother.  My father used any thing he could.  Belts, glass, lighters etc.  He never once touch me, but always made me watch what was happening to them.  As a child I always thought that he didnt love me because he never hit me.  My mom finally left him after 21 years of abuse.  No one in my family has ever recovered.  My brother is on his third marrige.  My sister has a son that she never sees or cares to.  I will never get married.  I have been with the same man for 12 years though.  As I sit here now, I never talk to my dad.  He is remarried with a very young wife.  She is 24 years younger and they now have a 10 year old son.  He refuses to be a part of my life.  I have tried.  I have and will always feel like I was and still not good enough for him.  Why would I want the approval of such a mean and unloving man?  But I do.  I see a lot of my father in my partner now.  I am scared that he will be the same.  I hope one day we will all be ok and al  the abuse will stop.  I feel for everyone on the show and around the world who have ever gone through any of this.

November 13, 2008, 1:44 pm CST

Been through it all should I be crazy

Hello Board.
This is my first time posting, I just watched the show real retreat, and I am surprised to say that most of the issues brought up on today's show i have been through.  I am the oldest of 6 children we grew up in a very dysfunctional home.  My dad was an alcoholic my mom very co-dependent. Besides poverty, no food hiding from bill collectors there was also sexual and physical abuse. I unfortunately can remember as far back as a year and a half old.  I am shaking as I type this. I have been sexually abused by my father.  Have been raped twice by men I met at bars 22 years ago.  I have been sober in a 12 step program for the last 22 years.  My father also sexually abused my sister and my niece.  My father has since passed away.  I have been in domestic violence relationships in the past.  My mom also passed.  Mom didn't suffer my father did.  I have under gone counseling for most of my life.  I am and have been a single mother of two boys ages 20 and 19 I left their dad after domestic abuse.  I raised my boys on my own with the knowledge I received through counseling and my 12 step program.  I like to think of us as a very non-traditional family .
I do not allow my son's to drink or come home under the influence of anything!  I know I can't protect them for ever but while they are under my roof they live by my rules.  OK get off the subject even with all the counseling and 12 step work sometimes I feel like I could just scream I wish I could!  This is getting tough will post again.

November 13, 2008, 1:44 pm CST

I have no reason to live. I have made my decision to leave this life. Looking at complete past to now I see the hand I was dealt, as well as bad choices made, I've decided that there is no reason to go on any further. I am mentally and physically drained and empty. I just pray that God will accept me for the flaws within me considering that this was how I was created and turned out to be. Hope to see you, as well as be seen on the other side.
Ifeel like this almost everyday. I feel like I just don't matter. I want to just make the pain go away. My heart aches for what is lost to me forever.  I pray I watch Joel Olsteen and nothing makes a differance. I understand your pain.

November 13, 2008, 1:46 pm CST

Tell your story. Sometimes it helps to get everything out by actually saying all the bad things that happened to you. Sometimes it feels good to let go of all the pain that you are holding inside. If you wont do this then please go get help or call someone who loves you.

November 13, 2008, 1:48 pm CST

These kinds of shows are Dr. Phil at his absolute best!  Please keep doing more shows like  these and a lot less of the celebrity stuff.  And God bless Dr. Phil for being there for these people.

November 13, 2008, 1:49 pm CST

Get Real Retreat

I can not believe what has happened to these people. I just can't believe that back in those days people we able to get away with molesting children. That makes me sick that their parents couldn't tell that it happened to them.

November 13, 2008, 2:07 pm CST

Quote From: tricia_aileen

I can not believe what has happened to these people. I just can't believe that back in those days people we able to get away with molesting children. That makes me sick that their parents couldn't tell that it happened to them.
People still  get away with molestation and rape in todays society; it happens every day, I have personal experience. It is horrible and it changes who you are forever. I am glad these people are getting help. Take care <3

November 13, 2008, 2:08 pm CST

Wade....

I just want to say to Wade that it takes a LOT of courage to say and do what he did and that I am SO proud of him. I can tell that he has made HUGE leaps and BOUNDS with the help of Dr. Phil. There are people out here who know what you are and have been going through.... my husband is one of them. God Bless You and I am praying for you....

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last