Message Boards

Topic : 11/13 Dr. Phil's Get Real Retreat, Part 3

Number of Replies: 166
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 07, 2008, 02:46:30 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
In his bold new series where 14 people get real about their lives, Dr. Phil leads his guests through an exercise that lifts the weight of their burdens off their shoulders. Then, Dr. Phil tells the participants to pair up with a buddy -- someone they can rely on throughout the retreat. When Kelly, whose father committed suicide, partners with Kathleen, who often thinks about taking her own life, Kelly finds her purpose in the retreat and makes a commitment to Kathleen. But will Kathleen accept Dr. Phil’s proposal to keep her safe? Then, it’s an emotional day in the studio as the guests share the heartbreaking moment in their lives when they became a victim. Wade moves the group to tears when he recounts the day his life changed forever. Will the participants find emotional closure on their pasts and take a step toward a healthier future? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 13, 2008, 3:07 pm CST

Wow! Nicole sounds just like me!

Wow, I can't believe how much Nicole's life sounds like mine! I seriously teared up when I caught the first show and Dr. Phil asked her about herself because I felt like I was looking in a mirror. I will definetly try to keep watching-- who know's maybe the Dr. will have something for me ;)

November 13, 2008, 3:09 pm CST

Get Real Retreat - Wade

After watching today's show, I realized that Wade is definately my hero.  Being a victim of rape when I was 17 years old, and not telling anyone at all about my experience, including my parents, I have the most respect for him for standing up.  My heart goes out to him and I know he can become alive once again. 

November 13, 2008, 3:09 pm CST

Please Choose life

Quote From: deathisnear

I have no reason to live. I have made my decision to leave this life. Looking at complete past to now I see the hand I was dealt, as well as bad choices made, I've decided that there is no reason to go on any further. I am mentally and physically drained and empty. I just pray that God will accept me for the flaws within me considering that this was how I was created and turned out to be. Hope to see you, as well as be seen on the other side.

HUGGED BY A PRAYER
prayed by:  SEA

Hi!  You have just been hugged
By a Hugging Prayer
...Pray It On...

November 13, 2008, 3:12 pm CST

11/13 Dr. Phil's Get Real Retreat, Part 3

Quote From: toon32

I was a child who was never abused but also never told by my father that I was loved.  My brother and sister were abused very badly as was my mother.  My father used any thing he could.  Belts, glass, lighters etc.  He never once touch me, but always made me watch what was happening to them.  As a child I always thought that he didnt love me because he never hit me.  My mom finally left him after 21 years of abuse.  No one in my family has ever recovered.  My brother is on his third marrige.  My sister has a son that she never sees or cares to.  I will never get married.  I have been with the same man for 12 years though.  As I sit here now, I never talk to my dad.  He is remarried with a very young wife.  She is 24 years younger and they now have a 10 year old son.  He refuses to be a part of my life.  I have tried.  I have and will always feel like I was and still not good enough for him.  Why would I want the approval of such a mean and unloving man?  But I do.  I see a lot of my father in my partner now.  I am scared that he will be the same.  I hope one day we will all be ok and al  the abuse will stop.  I feel for everyone on the show and around the world who have ever gone through any of this.
I have experienced your same pain....what I will say is, that most children and adults always want the acceptance of our parents.  But when I feel that way, I ask myself, if I was to be a part of their life again, would it be healthy for me or just back to the same old toxic, dysfunctional place?  I know it will be the latter because they will not ever own their abuse or acknowledge it.  You are better off not having him in your life.  What we do as abused children/adults is have a fantasy of a normal family...unfortunately, we never had any normalacy in our lives due to these monsters!  What we can do is break the cycle and create our own new family or friends that are safe and positive to our lives.  Take back your power and please move forward...it does get better once you recognize you are chasing a false dream!   May you find peace.

November 13, 2008, 3:13 pm CST

Dr. Phil says, "God Don't Make Junk." I agree.

Quote From: nochoice

Ifeel like this almost everyday. I feel like I just don't matter. I want to just make the pain go away. My heart aches for what is lost to me forever.  I pray I watch Joel Olsteen and nothing makes a differance. I understand your pain.
Nice to meet you. I watch Joel Osteen of joelosteen.com and Lakewood, too.

GOD PLEASE REPLY
Prayed by SEA

If ever you reach out in word
And feel like no one heard
To me each message that I see
Are like prayers rising up to Thee

After you left with all your tears
Combined with all your haunting fears
People stopped to read words you left
Sending prayers for you to be blessed

Parting prayers prayed to help you some
So you feel uplifted when here you come
And when no one knows what to say
Now and then know for you many pray

Thus if after you bare your soul
You feel no one heard... not one soul
I wanted you to know I stopped by
Said a prayer for you signed please reply

November 13, 2008, 3:15 pm CST

dear god

I CAN RELATE TO THESE PEOPLE AT LEAST SOME OF THEM.MY BROTHERS RAPED ME MOST OF MY CHILDHOOD.MY OLDEST BROTHER WAS THE WORST ONE BUT BOTH BROTHERS DID IT TO ME.WADE IF YOU READ THIS MY THOUGHT AND PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU.AND WHEN DR.PHIL SAID IS YOU THINK HE PAYED ENOUGH,IF YOU THINK HE DIED ENOUGH.PLEASE STAND I STOOD UP FOR YOU TOO WADE.BACK IN THOSE DAYS IT WAS'NT TALKED ABOUT.I KNOW BECAUSE ALL I GOT WAS A SLAP ACROSS THE FACE AND SENT TO MY ROOM AND WAS TOLD DON'T YOU TELL YOUR FATHER OR ELSE.MY DAD WORKED ALL THE TIME AND MY MUM WAS AT HOME WITH US.I THINK SHE HAD TO MANY KIDS BECAUSE SHE HATED US.SHE USED TO BEAT US AND OUR BROTHERS RAPED US.GOOD GOD.I HEARD DR.PHIL SAY IT WAS'NT YOUR FAULT YOU DID'NT DESERVE THIS.YOU COULD'NT CONTROL IT.ITS NOT YOUR FAULT.THATS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE EVER HEARD IT WAS'NT MY FAULT.MY OLDEST BROTHER SET ME UP FOR A RAPE WITH HIS BEST FRIEND AT THE TIME.WHEN I PRESSED CHARGES MY DAD THREATENED ME IF I DID THIS WATCH OUT.I TOLD THE POLICE AND THE POLICE SAID THEY WERE GOING TO CHARGE MY DAD IF HE DID'NT BACK OFF.AND MY DAD ,MY DAD BELIEVED MY BROTHER AND NOT ME THAT I WAS RAPED MY DAD THE ONE WHO WAS SUPPOSE TO LOVE ME.MY DAD THE ONE WHO WAS SUPPOSE PROTECT ME.IT TOOK A STRANGER THAT BELIEVED ME AND NOT MY DAD THAT I WAS RAPED.MY MUM IS ANOTHER STORY.I HEARD DR.PHIL SAY IT CHANGED YOU IT CHANGES WHO YOU ARE.AND MY GOD DR.PHIL YOUR RIGHT IT SURE DOES.IM SITTING AT MY COMPUTER TYPING THIS AND CRYING MY EYES OUT JUST THINKING ABOUT IT.IF YOU CAN'T TRUST YOUR PARENTS TO PROTECT YOU WHO CAN YOU TRUST.IM DONE I CAN'T TYPE ANYMORE IM SORRY,THESE ARE REALLY BAD MEMORIES.DR.PHIL THANK GOD FOR YOU.NO MATTER HOW DARK IT IS IM COMING FOR YOU.AND YOU DID DR.PHIL AND THANK YOU

CUDDLES05

November 13, 2008, 3:16 pm CST

Quote From: efffy_

There is always a reason to live. There is always someone worse off then you are. Help someone else that is struggling. Do not be selfish. Who are you going to hurt?  You cannot make these sorts of decisions from a bottom of a dark pit because you cannot see what is in the light. Get some help.
I agree witht the poster above...please do not give your power to these monsters...they are not deserving of any of your choices.  Please get some help or go to your nearest hospital.  Been there...done that and it was worth every minute of my day to find inner peace.  That is what you are looking for...we all are that have been abused.  You can find it again....TRUST ME!!!!   People do care about you, you are beautiful!!!

November 13, 2008, 3:16 pm CST

Wade

Wade

I am standing in the Gap between you and your predator and I am saying "Sorry".  Sorry for all that you had to go through, all that you have lost from that day, from the death of your life on that day and I want to say, sorry."

Wade, there is hope, God can heal and I have seen his marvelous healing power and one of the first steps is to face head on your past and the day you died and you did that.  I am so proud of you.

I would like you to know that you are being upheld in my prayers .

God Bless you Wade on your journey into life.

Kath

November 13, 2008, 3:18 pm CST

Retreat

Well I am just getting caught up on the retreat and glad to have watched them. I always find ways of dealing with my bipolar and the other part of my depression through the Dr Phil's shows. Watching these episodes of the retreat, I found myself bawling because I can relate to some of them and yet although I was in 3 years of therapy and recovered through it, I found myself dealing with some of my issues (yet new) all over again to be yet again lost and not sure where to turn, so then you deal with the weight gain, wondering if you are even worth it, the why me stories, the not wanting to be alive............I can't wait for the next episode and glad that Dr Phil did this. I too hope I can get to where they have again in my life and to overcome my deepest fears, so I can fully enjoy my new life God has instore for me.

For these 14, it saddens me to hear what they have endeared in their lives............

I commend them very much for being so brave to have their stories be told to millions..................

November 13, 2008, 3:19 pm CST

Quote From: thekimber1

Every night when I go to bed I pray for death to take me. I have tried to commit suicide twice but even failed at that. I was in counseling for over six years and got a lot out of it. I have been on countless numbers of antidepressants that work for a while but never more than a few months. I've been hospitalized three times, but nothing seems to help. It is a daily struggle for me to not take a whole bottle of pills, drive off a bridge jump into traffic. One thing I do know for sure is that if I died, my daughter would never recover. The thought of her is what keeps me going even on my darkest days. I could never hurt her like that. Think about the people who love you, get help and live the life God has given you.
I agree...it is my three children that has kept me alive and not from taking my life, even though there were years I did not want to live either.  Tried it, years of counseling and many hospital stays as well.  I can honestly say that I have taken back my power and these monsters will never touch me or hurt me again.  As for my kids, they deserve better from us as parents.  It would be the utmost selfish act in the world to take your life and leave them behind to live your pain.   Go back and get more help, it works!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last