Message Boards

Topic : 07/20 "My Mom vs. My Man"

Number of Replies: 137
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 07, 2008, 02:47:55 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/14/08) When you tie the knot, you don't just marry your spouse -- in-laws and siblings often come with the package. But what should you do if you find yourself feuding with your new family? Jessica says most of her relatives hate her husband, Seth. Her mother, Irma, says she's offended by the nasty names Seth calls Jessica and says he needs to start being a man. Seth and Irma are constantly at each other's throats, and Jessica has had to physically restrain her mother from punching her husband. One of Seth and Irma's most-heated confrontations occurred two years ago in the delivery room while Jessica was giving birth! Now Seth threatens to keep the kids from visiting Grandma. Jessica says she can't take the fighting anymore, but is she contributing to the problem? Find out what Seth's mom, Laurie, says needs to happen. Can this family find a way to cease the combat and move forward? Then, Andrea says the war with her mother, Vicki, started three months ago when Vicki gave her an ultimatum: pay rent or move out of her rental house. Vicki says she had allowed Andrea and her soon-to-be ex-husband, Simon, to live in the house rent-free, but now she needs the money. Find out why Andrea says her mom's timing was horrible. Now that the relationship has deteriorated to constant bickering, is it worth saving? Find out what Dr. Phil thinks. If your family is feuding, and you want to learn how to rebuild the relationships, you won't want to miss this show! Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 14, 2008, 10:59 am CST

Not all of us are useless!

Quote From: trigreen

Well probably at least 80 percent of the ones I meet.   They are so cluessless about so many things.   There are the ones up to there ears in credit card debt-sorry but I can't date you because I have worked hard to be financially responsible and don't want your irresponsibility to ruin my life.  I don't car if a guy is rich, if just car if they are financially responsible.   Granted I don't know that I can say females are better, but still.   Then there are the the liers in the auto industry told me to get an SUV(esp jeeps and hummers, etc) or useless truck crowd who think this will impress women-it doesn't it makes us run the other way.  Who wants a insecure polluter and overspender like you-I want the guy driving the prius or at least a compact.   Then there are the ones who want to act all macho or who look at women like sex objects-disgusting.   Of course there are a lot of overlap in these categories.  
I really wish you would go back and read what I posted under killer texting. Then maybe you would know that not all pickups are evil and useless. What will it take to get this through your head? If you want all pickups banned, such as ours, then I suggest that you find another food source because the crops aren't going to be able to grow and feed this world by Prius's alone. What a joke! To those who don't understand this, my husband is in farming and trigreen has bashed us horribly for owning pickups. Oh, she also claims that she is supporting us too! If that's the case I'd like to know why my husband is working so hard!

November 14, 2008, 11:07 am CST

I have to agree with Effy!

Quote From: therapissed

When you choose to marry and have your own family, mom is no longer #1.  Your family of choice comes first.  The mom/adult child relationship you described sounds sick, enmeshed, and totally not applicable to 99% of us.  When you are an adult, mom is mom - not "mommy".
Maybe I just got lucky but I have managed to have both my mother and my husband in my life with a great deal of respect all around. And BTW, even though I'm an adult I still call my mom "mommy" sometimes. I probably always will, she is a wonderful mother! And as to my husband, I hit the jackpot when I met this man. Even though he is close to my mothers age, he treats her with the respect that she deserves, and vice versa. But I do have to say that the life I have made with my husband is the one that comes first. He is #1 in my life, the way it should be.

November 14, 2008, 11:07 am CST

11/14 "My Mom vs. My Man"

Quote From: ramair

I often use the men's restroom because other women take waaay too long. I mean, how long does it take to drop 'em, sit down, pee, stand up, pull 'em back up, flush the toilet, and wash their hands? Ridiculous!
I know. Men like myself surely don't take long to use the restroom at all. I can easily go in the restroom, use it, & then wash my hands. And all it would take is about 4-5 minutes, max (when I pee, it only takes a minute or two). Either that, or they usually play around in the restroom, which probably explains why they're taking so long.

November 14, 2008, 11:09 am CST

Quote From: efffy_

Women (or men) that think relationships are disposable have never been in love. If they had they could never refer to mate as a quarterly hour public conveyance. Good mothers never impose upon your relationship, and good mates never exclude your mother. My husband is once in a life time. I would never get involved with anyone that didn't respect me. Me includes my family.
I'm a Christian. You're an atheist. And, we agree. Too many relationships are tossed aside because the man, the woman, or both, fell out of lust, not love. I've even seen this crap among churchgoers. A former boyfriend who used to photograph weddings once overheard a groom saying, if he didn't like being married, he'd just get a divorce. Great Caesar's Ghost!

November 14, 2008, 11:09 am CST

You can say that again! All this gal does is rag on men and people who don't use public transportation. But, public transportation isn't available in small town, rural America.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Finally a voice of reason! I was afraid that I was the only one who was thinking along these lines and had noticed all of this.

November 14, 2008, 11:14 am CST

Quote From: jewelsf

There is no way that I would "EVER" use a unisex bathroom, unless it was in a private office. But say a public unisex restroom? No way! Men have a hard enough hitting the bowl as it is, I certainly don't want to sit down on their hits and misses. I'll take a pass on that thank you.
I've seen many pee-splattered toilet seats in women's restrooms. And, found cleaner seats in the men's restroom.

November 14, 2008, 11:21 am CST

Quote From: jewelsf

I really wish you would go back and read what I posted under killer texting. Then maybe you would know that not all pickups are evil and useless. What will it take to get this through your head? If you want all pickups banned, such as ours, then I suggest that you find another food source because the crops aren't going to be able to grow and feed this world by Prius's alone. What a joke! To those who don't understand this, my husband is in farming and trigreen has bashed us horribly for owning pickups. Oh, she also claims that she is supporting us too! If that's the case I'd like to know why my husband is working so hard!
I'd love to see her plowing, or bush hogging your fields with a Prius!

November 14, 2008, 11:26 am CST

That's a pretty big chip on your shoulder!

Quote From: patti06801

When a MAN belittles a woman, they are COWARDS. They walk around here thinking they are all that when deep down they are very much a COWARD. They think just because they make more money and think they own everything they are very much a COWARD. MEN need to grow up and STOP acting like little toddlers. I know some toddler boys who are 100% more mature than most of these COWARD men on earth. When a man belittles a women, not only are they COWARDS, IMMATURE, they have 100% NO SELF ESTEEM so they take it out on us women so they can walk the walk and talk the talk when deep down they are all COWARDS......YES, you read it, you are a bunch of COWARDS and the sad thing here is that only 1% of men are actually sweet, kind men. So for all of you 99.9% of men GROW UP COWARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I highly disagree with you that 99.9% of all men are cowards. Maybe you have always picked the wrong men for some reason? I have been treated badly by only one man in my life, and it was my first boyfriend and I was 16. He was possessive, jealous, and dangerous. I will say that he never once hit me though, it was mental abuse. As soon as I got the nerve I got away from him and ever since, I have only dated "nice" men who have treated me with the utmost respect. The man that I married is an unbelievable man who doesn't deserve to have his own gender bashed so harshly. You've made some very unfair statements here. Before I married I managed to date a lot of men, and had a few serious relationships. I must say that I have always been treated like a queen. But then, I would never settle for less than that. Maybe you need to take the time to figure out why you choose the men that you do, or maybe even go into therapy. As it is, no decent man would want to go anywhere near you. your attitude would be obvious a mile away.

November 14, 2008, 11:33 am CST

I was sooooo nervous!

I'm a Christian. You're an atheist. And, we agree. Too many relationships are tossed aside because the man, the woman, or both, fell out of lust, not love. I've even seen this crap among churchgoers. A former boyfriend who used to photograph weddings once overheard a groom saying, if he didn't like being married, he'd just get a divorce. Great Caesar's Ghost!
The day that my husband and I got married I was "sooooooo" nervous that I could barely get ready. The reason why? Because I went into it thinking this would be my mate for life. It never crossed my mind that I could get a divorce if it didn't suit me. I agree that way too many people go into marriage with the belief that there is always an "out". I also believe that young women are getting married nowadays for all of the wrong reasons. It seems that there is such a hysterical wedding craze going on, and that itself is a reason to get married. They just want the dress, the bigger and better cake, the best party, theme, etc., the marriage is just an afterthought. Anyone see  Bridezilla's lately?

November 14, 2008, 11:36 am CST

Quote From: hpmx59

Doctor Man Mom My Phil Verse. That I never heard of.  Please tell me another story that I hve noe heard.----

See you on Friday November 14th, 2008. Sincerley Your. Russel Vlaanderen.----------------------------------------

I would so love to talk with you someday!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last