Message Boards

Topic : 07/20 "My Mom vs. My Man"

Number of Replies: 137
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 07, 2008, 02:47:55 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/14/08) When you tie the knot, you don't just marry your spouse -- in-laws and siblings often come with the package. But what should you do if you find yourself feuding with your new family? Jessica says most of her relatives hate her husband, Seth. Her mother, Irma, says she's offended by the nasty names Seth calls Jessica and says he needs to start being a man. Seth and Irma are constantly at each other's throats, and Jessica has had to physically restrain her mother from punching her husband. One of Seth and Irma's most-heated confrontations occurred two years ago in the delivery room while Jessica was giving birth! Now Seth threatens to keep the kids from visiting Grandma. Jessica says she can't take the fighting anymore, but is she contributing to the problem? Find out what Seth's mom, Laurie, says needs to happen. Can this family find a way to cease the combat and move forward? Then, Andrea says the war with her mother, Vicki, started three months ago when Vicki gave her an ultimatum: pay rent or move out of her rental house. Vicki says she had allowed Andrea and her soon-to-be ex-husband, Simon, to live in the house rent-free, but now she needs the money. Find out why Andrea says her mom's timing was horrible. Now that the relationship has deteriorated to constant bickering, is it worth saving? Find out what Dr. Phil thinks. If your family is feuding, and you want to learn how to rebuild the relationships, you won't want to miss this show! Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 14, 2008, 11:52 am CST

11/14 "My Mom vs. My Man"

Quote From: jewelsf

The day that my husband and I got married I was "sooooooo" nervous that I could barely get ready. The reason why? Because I went into it thinking this would be my mate for life. It never crossed my mind that I could get a divorce if it didn't suit me. I agree that way too many people go into marriage with the belief that there is always an "out". I also believe that young women are getting married nowadays for all of the wrong reasons. It seems that there is such a hysterical wedding craze going on, and that itself is a reason to get married. They just want the dress, the bigger and better cake, the best party, theme, etc., the marriage is just an afterthought. Anyone see  Bridezilla's lately?
One town over from where I live, a lot of young gals get "wedding fever" every June.

November 14, 2008, 11:57 am CST

Quote From: therapissed

When you choose to marry and have your own family, mom is no longer #1.  Your family of choice comes first.  The mom/adult child relationship you described sounds sick, enmeshed, and totally not applicable to 99% of us.  When you are an adult, mom is mom - not "mommy".
You disagree that families should be respectful?  Did you mean to reply to the initial poster?

November 14, 2008, 12:19 pm CST

Quote From: ramair

I'm a Christian. You're an atheist. And, we agree. Too many relationships are tossed aside because the man, the woman, or both, fell out of lust, not love. I've even seen this crap among churchgoers. A former boyfriend who used to photograph weddings once overheard a groom saying, if he didn't like being married, he'd just get a divorce. Great Caesar's Ghost!
Christianity is my culture so it isn't surprising we have the same sort of values.  I don't think religion has anything to do with love. My first marriage was a joke, and I knew it. Hindsight is always 20/20.

November 14, 2008, 12:30 pm CST

Get out

This woman needs to get out of that marriage.  Seth reminds me of my ex-husband when we were first married.....and he became an alcoholic and abusive to me and our children.  He said some of those same things and did not get along with my family.  I hope this woman gets of this relationship, it will get worse.

November 14, 2008, 12:37 pm CST

Women can be pigs!

I've seen many pee-splattered toilet seats in women's restrooms. And, found cleaner seats in the men's restroom.
Yes, that's very true! It's amazing just how piggish women can be. Personally, I try to never use any public restroom, only if it's an emergency. Touching any strangers bodily fluids really grosses me out.

November 14, 2008, 12:40 pm CST

Wedding fever!

One town over from where I live, a lot of young gals get "wedding fever" every June.
It's like something is in the water in this country and every young woman has to have a wedding. That's exactly it, a wedding. They don't seem to realize that there is usually a marriage involved after wards. I just shake my head when I think of this.

November 14, 2008, 12:45 pm CST

This isn't rocket science!

It never ceases to amaze me that when a couple fights the wife runs home to mommy, crying and telling her how awful the husband is, and then can't understand why the mother doesn't just adore her husband once they've made up. Mothers are like mother bears, they will fight for their cubs and it isn't nearly as easy for them to forgive when their babies have been hurt and called names. Like I said, this isn't rocket science! If you don't want your mother to know the dirty details, then don't tell her in the first place!

November 14, 2008, 1:06 pm CST

I'd love to see her plowing, or bush hogging your fields with a Prius!
Yes, or up here in Northern Alberta on the highways during rutting season!  Let's see...moose vs. prius...

November 14, 2008, 1:14 pm CST

entitled

I know about daughters with cancer on chemo as my daughter went thru this, and thank God is now in remission. I also had to pay some of her bills during this time.  I agree daughter  does not need stress, but I also pick up on  a sense of entitlement  from both the daughter and husband.  I question why the mother did not ask them to leave earlier, but I also understand if she is having to make a mortgage payment on that house also.  It is unfortunate, but it shows why you should have signed written agreements in such matters even if it is your parent or your child.  It helps decrease "you said, she said" arguments, and it is a clear document of expectations and commitments on both sides.  It also shows why it is better to live in a small apt. that you are paying for yourself than living in a mansion that your parents are paying for.  There is nearly always resentment on both sides when one part is supporting the other part for an extended period of time.    That can get real old fast.

November 14, 2008, 1:17 pm CST

Family Is Important!

Seems to me that we ought to be thankful for what we have right in front of us...our families! That is so important. I cannot give my family thanksgiving or christmas because of our financial situation but at least I have people who love me. Don't argue with each other. It is too close to the holidays. Families should band together this time of year. I wish these guests had the sense of family. I guess my point is...be good to each other because if it wasn't for my family I would be in worse shape than I am now.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last