Message Boards

Topic : 07/20 "My Mom vs. My Man"

Number of Replies: 137
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 07, 2008, 02:47:55 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/14/08) When you tie the knot, you don't just marry your spouse -- in-laws and siblings often come with the package. But what should you do if you find yourself feuding with your new family? Jessica says most of her relatives hate her husband, Seth. Her mother, Irma, says she's offended by the nasty names Seth calls Jessica and says he needs to start being a man. Seth and Irma are constantly at each other's throats, and Jessica has had to physically restrain her mother from punching her husband. One of Seth and Irma's most-heated confrontations occurred two years ago in the delivery room while Jessica was giving birth! Now Seth threatens to keep the kids from visiting Grandma. Jessica says she can't take the fighting anymore, but is she contributing to the problem? Find out what Seth's mom, Laurie, says needs to happen. Can this family find a way to cease the combat and move forward? Then, Andrea says the war with her mother, Vicki, started three months ago when Vicki gave her an ultimatum: pay rent or move out of her rental house. Vicki says she had allowed Andrea and her soon-to-be ex-husband, Simon, to live in the house rent-free, but now she needs the money. Find out why Andrea says her mom's timing was horrible. Now that the relationship has deteriorated to constant bickering, is it worth saving? Find out what Dr. Phil thinks. If your family is feuding, and you want to learn how to rebuild the relationships, you won't want to miss this show! Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 8, 2008, 3:47 pm CST

Grow up

It's been my experience that most guys need courses on what a man is.  Grow up and lose the high school mentality.   They don't even seem to know right from wrong.  Then there are the narcissists; are we having an epidemic?  They don't make an effort and because it's too much for them to think about, they say they tried and just give in to acting bad.  Connecting in a positive way takes too much effort.  And women enable their behaviour by putting up with it.

November 9, 2008, 11:34 am CST

Doctor Phil Show.

Doctor Man Mom My Phil Verse. That I never heard of.  Please tell me another story that I hve noe heard.----

See you on Friday November 14th, 2008. Sincerley Your. Russel Vlaanderen.----------------------------------------

November 11, 2008, 6:28 pm CST

Yup

Quote From: jazmin

It's been my experience that most guys need courses on what a man is.  Grow up and lose the high school mentality.   They don't even seem to know right from wrong.  Then there are the narcissists; are we having an epidemic?  They don't make an effort and because it's too much for them to think about, they say they tried and just give in to acting bad.  Connecting in a positive way takes too much effort.  And women enable their behaviour by putting up with it.
Well probably at least 80 percent of the ones I meet.   They are so cluessless about so many things.   There are the ones up to there ears in credit card debt-sorry but I can't date you because I have worked hard to be financially responsible and don't want your irresponsibility to ruin my life.  I don't car if a guy is rich, if just car if they are financially responsible.   Granted I don't know that I can say females are better, but still.   Then there are the the liers in the auto industry told me to get an SUV(esp jeeps and hummers, etc) or useless truck crowd who think this will impress women-it doesn't it makes us run the other way.  Who wants a insecure polluter and overspender like you-I want the guy driving the prius or at least a compact.   Then there are the ones who want to act all macho or who look at women like sex objects-disgusting.   Of course there are a lot of overlap in these categories.  

November 12, 2008, 5:21 am CST

99.9% of MEN are cowards

When a MAN belittles a woman, they are COWARDS. They walk around here thinking they are all that when deep down they are very much a COWARD. They think just because they make more money and think they own everything they are very much a COWARD. MEN need to grow up and STOP acting like little toddlers. I know some toddler boys who are 100% more mature than most of these COWARD men on earth. When a man belittles a women, not only are they COWARDS, IMMATURE, they have 100% NO SELF ESTEEM so they take it out on us women so they can walk the walk and talk the talk when deep down they are all COWARDS......YES, you read it, you are a bunch of COWARDS and the sad thing here is that only 1% of men are actually sweet, kind men. So for all of you 99.9% of men GROW UP COWARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 12, 2008, 8:44 am CST

11/14 "My Mom vs. My Man"

Quote From: patti06801

When a MAN belittles a woman, they are COWARDS. They walk around here thinking they are all that when deep down they are very much a COWARD. They think just because they make more money and think they own everything they are very much a COWARD. MEN need to grow up and STOP acting like little toddlers. I know some toddler boys who are 100% more mature than most of these COWARD men on earth. When a man belittles a women, not only are they COWARDS, IMMATURE, they have 100% NO SELF ESTEEM so they take it out on us women so they can walk the walk and talk the talk when deep down they are all COWARDS......YES, you read it, you are a bunch of COWARDS and the sad thing here is that only 1% of men are actually sweet, kind men. So for all of you 99.9% of men GROW UP COWARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Misandry is no more acceptable then misogyny. Where did you get your percentages they are ridiculous. There are terrible men in this world, and maybe they out number us, but there are lazy useless whiny women that want everything and contribute nothing. I have always gotten along better with men then women. I do have female friends, and I love them, but I find so many women catty and jealous. I would never even attempt to put a percentage on it. Men are very basic for the most part, and that makes my life so much easier. I do not have to worry about what they really mean, or watch body language, or wonder what they are saying behind my back. I believe that humans are essentially good, and the one's that are not are in equal measure.

November 12, 2008, 10:29 am CST

Yup

Quote From: patti06801

Men have also worked to the system to make sure they earn more money and woman are treated unfairly.   There are a bunch of us looking into getting the ERA Amendment revived and in the constitution.   I think it is ridiculous that society accepts it is okay to use culture as an excuse for the mistreatment of woman and sees culture as an overriding women's rights.  As woman because of the ways we have been mistreated by society we are a minority group and we are the largest minority group so our rights are priority.   

November 12, 2008, 11:27 am CST

Yay For Reviving the ERA

Quote From: trigreen

Men have also worked to the system to make sure they earn more money and woman are treated unfairly.   There are a bunch of us looking into getting the ERA Amendment revived and in the constitution.   I think it is ridiculous that society accepts it is okay to use culture as an excuse for the mistreatment of woman and sees culture as an overriding women's rights.  As woman because of the ways we have been mistreated by society we are a minority group and we are the largest minority group so our rights are priority.   

I well remember the ERA from my childhood.  To me it seemed an obvious, easy fix but the hysteria that surrounded the Equal Rights Amendment at times was rediculous.  Remember the dire warnings of having to "use the same public bathroom as a man!!" Well, here it is, almost 2009 and we have unisex bathrooms, but no ERA. Hey now, that's not right.

November 12, 2008, 12:58 pm CST

11/14 "My Mom vs. My Man"

Quote From: efffy_

Misandry is no more acceptable then misogyny. Where did you get your percentages they are ridiculous. There are terrible men in this world, and maybe they out number us, but there are lazy useless whiny women that want everything and contribute nothing. I have always gotten along better with men then women. I do have female friends, and I love them, but I find so many women catty and jealous. I would never even attempt to put a percentage on it. Men are very basic for the most part, and that makes my life so much easier. I do not have to worry about what they really mean, or watch body language, or wonder what they are saying behind my back. I believe that humans are essentially good, and the one's that are not are in equal measure.

You got that right. Women are no better than men.

November 12, 2008, 5:25 pm CST

"MY MOM VS MY MAN"

MEN ARE LIKE BUSES ONE COMES EVERY 15 MIN. BUT UR MOM IS UR MOM SHE IS THE MOST

PRECIOUS PERSON IN THIS WORLD NO MATTER WHAT SHE IS THERE FOR U ALWAYS AND HE SHOULD RESPECT HER SHE'S EARNED THAT ANYONE IN MY LIFE HAS TO NEEDS TO RESPECT MY MOM AND BE NICE NO MATTER WHAT CAUSE AT THE END OF THE DAY SHE WILL ALWAYS BE THERE FOR YOU IN ANY WAY SHE CAN AND IF HE IS BEING DISRESPECTFUL THAN YOU NEED TO MOVE ON CHILD OR NO CHILD HE CAN BE A DAD OUT OF THE HOUSE AS WELL AS IN

November 12, 2008, 5:51 pm CST

Inlaws

When my husband and I married back in 1978 my mother was all alone due to my dad had passed away in 1963.  Mom and I became very close during those years.  She basically clung to me.  She lost her husband, her mom, and now she was losing her daughter.  I tried to get her with another man but she was still in love with my dad.  As you can see this is leading to a very rough marriage.  My husband did not like my mom due to her drinking when infact he was drinking.  I was drinking during this time also.  Now my inlaws, especially my father in law always wanted his boose in the morning.  I now could see another problem starting.  We not only had alcoholism four ways but we were co-dependant on each other.  My husband got arrested three times.  I went into rehab and mom did nothing.  Little did I know she was coming down with cancer.  My father in law died in the house.  I took care of him until the end.  My mother died in the hospital in Hospice care.  My husband and I are  separated because his mother has dementia and physical ailments.  I am in counseling and taking medication. I have a new job and just trying to survive financially.  My house is paid for. My car is paid for.  But my life is in a tail spin because of not having another person in my life to share it.  I place my trust in Jesus that He will get me through this fire I am walking through.  When there is fire then there is water.  Then the glow of gold shines through.  Thanks   Sarah

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last