Message Boards

Topic : 04/09 “My Child Can’t Stop Eating”

Number of Replies: 152
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 14, 2008, 03:17:09 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/18/08) Dieters know how hard it is to shed five or 10 pounds. What do you do when you need to lose 100 pounds … and you’re just 10 years old? Dr. Phil talks to parents who say they can’t get their child to stop eating, and they fear this food addiction could turn deadly. Luz’s daughter, Kayla, is just 5 years old, but she already tips the scales at 113 pounds. Luz says her child throws temper tantrums when she doesn’t eat, and she once screamed so loudly for junk food, her neighbors called the police! Does Kayla have an eating disorder, or is Luz enabling her? Dr. Jim Sears, co-host of the hit show The Doctors, gives this mom a wake-up call. Then, Stephanie says her 3-year-old daughter, SaJatta, is addicted to sausage and grits. The toddler weighs 88 pounds and gets winded just walking up the stairs in her house. SaJatta’s grandmother, Mary, says the little girl is spoiled, and she doesn’t know how to say no to her. What do the results from SaJatta's blood work reveal? Can the family conquer her obesity? Plus, Mary says her daughter, Brittany, was an active child until she broke her ankle five years ago. Now at age 10, Brittany weighs 190 pounds, and her folks say she’s turned into a couch potato. How can Mary and her husband, Roger, motivate the child to lose weight? Fitness trainer Robert Reames has a surprise for the family! Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 16, 2008, 12:34 pm CST

11/18 “My Child Can’t Stop Eating”

Quote From: til123

We can only assume that the child is running this household. We can only assume that the child is the role model here, and we can only assume that the parent's future is in the child's hands.
When did children start giving birth to parents?
Have you ever seen the Maury show where sometimes you see shows of parents with obese babies/toddlers? Well, this is kind of similar to it. I believe that parents need to stop giving into their children on what they want. I don't care if they whine constantly about it, whatever it's food, toys, etc. I can assure you, children will whine & whine when they don't get things their way, & then parents will start giving in & will do anything to make them happy. Is it any wonder why when children grow up, that they become so spoiled & then expects to feel entilted for this world & their parent(s) to give them everything, & then the parents wonder why they're like that when they reach their teen years? Because they made them spoiled, that's what. This needs to stop, pronto, & they need to start putting their foot down, & start simply saying, "No". If someone has an eating disorder, then I can understand about their terrible situation & I hope that they get the necessary help they need. It's certainly not healthy for children to eat junk food constantly, as their bodies simply can't sustain what they eat like most adults do. If they keep going at this rate, those children probably won't even live to reach the teen years or adult years, & that will be tragic.

November 16, 2008, 1:18 pm CST

Obviously I haven't watched the show yet, but........

When I was growing up my mother never once forced any of us 5 children to eat if we weren't hungry. She was raised that way also. If we were hungry later we could fix ourselves a plate from the dinner leftovers. We all grew into healthy thin adults. I still have a small appetite and eat very slowly, I get made fun of for this but I am not overweight by any means.

Now on the other hand our next door neighbor had two daughters and they all lived with their grandparents. Three generations under one roof with all of the same beliefs. They were not allowed to miss a meal ever, no matter if they were hungry or not. Occasionally the two little girls would be over playing with my sister and they would eat at our house. Sure enough the neighbors would call for them to come home for dinner. They would tell them that they had already eaten but that didn't matter, they had to come home and eat another entire meal again. At this point when the two girls were small one of them was already on the obese side.

My family did not believe in this, we would always shake our heads over the food being forced on them. A couple of years later the girls could sit down with a can of frosting each and eat the whole thing by themselves. Yuck! Obviously as the years went by the girls grew up and both are extremely obese. One of them is so overweight that she is on SSD because of it. Neither one has worked a day in their lives. The funny part is, the one who is on SSD continues to have babies, one after another. I'm on SSD, thin, and I am unable to carry a baby so I have to miss out on that part of my life. OK, I let a little anger show hear!

Now, both of these women are grown as I mentioned and their children are on the same exact path as they were when they were little. One of their daughters was about 4 and weighed about 80 pounds. My mom happened to be over there visiting one day and this little girl was on the toilet and wanted a snack. They took her one and a glass of juice! In the bathroom? She couldn't wait? They couldn't make her wait? This is deplorable!

As to having "junk food" and sugary items, my mom didn't allow us to have them all of the time, our house certainly wasn't stocked with them. But, we also didn't have to wait until special occasions either like another poster mentioned. You deprive a child of these things and they may want them even more in the end. What's so wrong in everything in moderation? Because of the way my mother raised us, almost all of us have turned out to be vegetarians, or at least very close to it. The only reason that I have bad health is because I was injured 10 years ago and things went downhill from there. But the rest of my siblings are incredibly healthy & thin, a doctor would probably be hard pressed to find cholesterol of any kind in any of them, that's an exaggeration of course but you should get my point.

I do believe that genetics do play a role in obesity up to a point, but there are many ways to help control that and to not allow a child to become obese at such a young age. Contributing to a child's obesity is contributing to an early death sentence.

November 16, 2008, 3:50 pm CST

OBESE CHILDREN

I would just like to say that I had been heavy most of my life.  When I was growing up, children I knew would make fun of me.  My parents were wonderful people & I miss them.  When I grew up, it was when parents would say: eat everything on your plate, as there are children starving out there.  Well, we'd eat what was on our plates, but we weren't "forced to."  When I see children today who are overweight or obese, I feel sorry for them.

It may not be THEIR FAULT.  Some people let their children eat "junk" food all the time, instead of fixing them a decent meal.  Parents need to grow up & get a control on their children BEFORE they become obese.  My one neighbor's Grandson, who is 9 years old, weighed 136 pounds.  When he is over at his Grandmother's, she makes him eat "good food."  She has tried getting him to lose weight, and he has a little bit.  That's all I have to say.  Thank you for letting me put this down.

November 16, 2008, 5:30 pm CST

Eating what is on your plate.................

Quote From: babs60

I would just like to say that I had been heavy most of my life.  When I was growing up, children I knew would make fun of me.  My parents were wonderful people & I miss them.  When I grew up, it was when parents would say: eat everything on your plate, as there are children starving out there.  Well, we'd eat what was on our plates, but we weren't "forced to."  When I see children today who are overweight or obese, I feel sorry for them.

It may not be THEIR FAULT.  Some people let their children eat "junk" food all the time, instead of fixing them a decent meal.  Parents need to grow up & get a control on their children BEFORE they become obese.  My one neighbor's Grandson, who is 9 years old, weighed 136 pounds.  When he is over at his Grandmother's, she makes him eat "good food."  She has tried getting him to lose weight, and he has a little bit.  That's all I have to say.  Thank you for letting me put this down.

When my husband was young his parents went through a rough patch where money was scarce and food was hard to come by. When they ate a meal, they were told to only take what they could eat, and to eat what they take. This was too keep them from wasting food when their eyes were bigger then their tummy's. Nothing wrong with this approach. But when a child is "forced" to eat, and allowed to eat too much of anything especially now when children are not as active as we were when we were little, that is wrong. Personally while growing up I never heard the "People are starving" speech, my mom didn't believe in making us eat more then we wanted. I do believe that the fact that TV, computer games, etc. have also contributed to the obesity problem in children today, I'm surprised they even know what dirt is anymore!

November 17, 2008, 7:08 am CST

Obese Children

When I was a child I too had this problem with over eating, I think due to the fact that I was # six child of seven.My older siblings probaly didn't get what my younger brother and myself did because of when they were born.My younger brother and myself were over fed by my mother.I can remember as a child wearing pants that were called "husky" for FAT boys.I didn't start to lose the weight until after I turned twenty-one, was working away from home and not eating food that mom had been feeding me all my younger life.Now I am a diabetic, I was also born with Klinefelter Syndrome or 47xxy.

November 17, 2008, 9:38 am CST

I GREW UP WITH AN EATTING DISORDER

When I was growing up in the 60's and 70's I realized I had an extremely HIGH appetite.I could consume large meals and still want more.I stayed thin because I was a high energy person and we (DIDN'T HAVE THE MONEY $$$$$$$$$ FOR JUNK FOOD OR RESTAURANTS) which probably saved my life.I eventually realized that the cause of __MY__over eatting was anxiety,depression and tension in the home.Now that I'm turning 50 and health problems are showing up due to this battle with this an UNHEALTHY eatting pattern I realize that eatting disorders can turn deadly REAL --->FAST !! I hope these children receive cognitive restructuring before they attend their first funneral [{ THEIR OWN }].

November 17, 2008, 11:05 pm CST

11/18 “My Child Can’t Stop Eating”

I think a big problem with this is the parents don't know how to say "NO" when a child wants something. It's not being mean, it's not being harsh, it's being a parent. Sometimes you have to tune out the screaming and put your foot down, and a child needs to learn that they can't always get what they want, and throwing a tantrum won't solve the problem. Also, kids need to learn WHY they can't always get what they want. I'm sure when some parents say that exact phrase, kids will wonder "Well WHY NOT?!" Parents need to explain that life isn't always going to hand them things on a silver platter, and people will not want to listen t if you scream at them when things don't go the way they want. Life just isn't that way.

November 18, 2008, 1:48 am CST

Over weight children

These issues are clearly the fault of the parents.  These children can't go out and buy the food they are being given.  I was over weight most of my life, then I had a child who was 80 pounds at age five.  The doctors explained this extra weight was becoming harmful to my child's health.  I put him in a children's exercises program and I joined him. I stop buying the foods that he should not eat.  The child can not go in the kitchen to get any food that is not there.  Also, there were Consequences to his actions if he attempted to take food on his on.  I never left him hungry, but I would not give him unhealthy food or portions.  Now my 80 pound 5 year old son has turned into a healthier 70 pound 7 year old.  He is still not at his idea weight, but we are moving in right direction.  Had we not changed the path he was on, he'd likely now be a 110 or 120 pound 7 year old.  Anyone who grow up over weight knows it comes with ridicule and teasing.  You give in to the tantrums, but you also open them up to be teased and discriminated by peers.  If your child can't walk up a flight of stairs without stopping and falling over, that's a problem that needs to be addressed.  Also, kids will follow the example laid before them.  We can say whatever, but they are going to go off what they see.  We can't tell a child don't eat an entire cake, but then they sit and watch us doing it. If I tell my child don't eat something, I don't' eat it.  If I tell my children their weight has to be under control, then so does mine.  I am now at my idea weight and will not stop until I have accomplished the same for my children.  Love yourself and your children enough to make a change for life.  Don't diet, make a life change.  I will pray for you all as I continue to pray for my own situation.

November 18, 2008, 6:47 am CST

Important

Quote From: lovingone

You ARE on to something with your post... but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE dont think of the absolute sickest, most depraved thing you can think of ( sexual abuse) when looking at an obese person.

I am a food addict, I like to say food lover, and I always will be even though I am recovering.   I never got hugely big.   I am now a misses size 14-18 depending on the garment and am aiming to be a solid size 14.   

Why not a size 6 you say?  Because I intend on continuing to enjoy my food, just more responsibly.  And not let people make me feel like a size 14 is a size 26.

Thats my definition of control. 

But I think people don't realize the physiological asspects of food addiction.  If someone quit smoking cold turkey they would likely get headaches or other physical symptoms.

And you don't even have to smoke to live!  You pick up the habit.

But everyone has to eat something, unless they are on a feeding tube.   So it can be tricky for an addict.

There would be times when I would have a splitting headache all day and tried to go to college and then to work at night.  I would take Advil every 4-6 hour and nothing would get better.  Till I broke down and ate somthing naughty at the end of the day and 10 minutes later the headache was gone.

Thats what people need to understand.  Having a headache or being nautious all day long and being expect to perform your daily tasks.

It took me a lot of taste testing diet foods, learning how to make them taste good,  transfering my craving to harmless things like diet soda,   learning how to make myself full on fewer calories, and other tricks to finally get the weight off.

A small child can barely tell their parent to take them to the restroom muchless say "mommy help me rearrange my physiology so I won't be dependent on the endorphines that eating gives me"

Give the parents a break!

I thought it was important to bump this because I don't think anyone else addressed the painful phsysiological symptoms a food addict can suffer that make it so hard to chang.   Thank you.

November 18, 2008, 7:18 am CST

I've kept my children skinny......why can't I get skinny

I sit here with tears in my eyes.  I know how these kids feel.  I have been these kids growing up.  I am 38 now.  I have come to a point in life where my weight issues have caught up with me.  I now see a doctor every 3 months to monitor my BP, a nutritionist every month, and now I am considering lap-band surgery.  I am so disgusted with my weight that it has affected me emotionally, mentally, and my married life.

I watched what my kids eat and keep them active.  Parents have to take charge of their children's life and set good habits.  Your child(ren) do not have to be overweight. 

As far as myself my demons are much more than just being overweight.  I have questioned why my parents had to be fat....that is why I am fat. I feel I was delt a bad hand.  Why am I fat, why me.  I want look at myself from the neck down.....so if  I want look at myself, why would anyone else want too....talking about my husband.  He too struggles with his weight too.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last