Message Boards

Topic : 04/09 “My Child Can’t Stop Eating”

Number of Replies: 152
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 14, 2008, 03:17:09 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/18/08) Dieters know how hard it is to shed five or 10 pounds. What do you do when you need to lose 100 pounds … and you’re just 10 years old? Dr. Phil talks to parents who say they can’t get their child to stop eating, and they fear this food addiction could turn deadly. Luz’s daughter, Kayla, is just 5 years old, but she already tips the scales at 113 pounds. Luz says her child throws temper tantrums when she doesn’t eat, and she once screamed so loudly for junk food, her neighbors called the police! Does Kayla have an eating disorder, or is Luz enabling her? Dr. Jim Sears, co-host of the hit show The Doctors, gives this mom a wake-up call. Then, Stephanie says her 3-year-old daughter, SaJatta, is addicted to sausage and grits. The toddler weighs 88 pounds and gets winded just walking up the stairs in her house. SaJatta’s grandmother, Mary, says the little girl is spoiled, and she doesn’t know how to say no to her. What do the results from SaJatta's blood work reveal? Can the family conquer her obesity? Plus, Mary says her daughter, Brittany, was an active child until she broke her ankle five years ago. Now at age 10, Brittany weighs 190 pounds, and her folks say she’s turned into a couch potato. How can Mary and her husband, Roger, motivate the child to lose weight? Fitness trainer Robert Reames has a surprise for the family! Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 18, 2008, 12:55 pm CST

same as above

These chrildren need emotional therapy. They are using food to bury disapointment, and pain.It is more than exercise, and eating healthy, if it is to be lifelong.

November 18, 2008, 1:21 pm CST

overeating

I feel so bad not only for the children, but also for the parents.  Being a food lover myself, I truly understand the difficulties of  trying to eat nutritiously.  Why is it that all of  the foods that are bad for us taste so delicious, while all the foods that are good for us don't.!!  These people really have my sympathies.  This will not be an easy job ahead and I wish them the best of luck.  Unlike a lot of the people writing in today, I sympathize with you all.

November 18, 2008, 1:36 pm CST

Vegetables, where are the vegetables?

I cannot understand why these people do not eat raw and cooked vegetables? What is wrong with a good salad (and I don't mean with iceberg lettuce?). I think America needs to relearn how to eat properly. Cut back on the meat and potatoes and beef up the veggies...I am completely astonished that there was absolutely NO conversation about adding veggies...also, what about protein shakes for snacks? Why get the 100 calorie Oreo cookies? You can get a great chocolate soy shake that may have more calories, but has many more nutrients....

November 18, 2008, 1:56 pm CST

I agree, eat more veggies

Quote From: lindak73044

I cannot understand why these people do not eat raw and cooked vegetables? What is wrong with a good salad (and I don't mean with iceberg lettuce?). I think America needs to relearn how to eat properly. Cut back on the meat and potatoes and beef up the veggies...I am completely astonished that there was absolutely NO conversation about adding veggies...also, what about protein shakes for snacks? Why get the 100 calorie Oreo cookies? You can get a great chocolate soy shake that may have more calories, but has many more nutrients....
I agree with you wholeheartly.  A child can eat a lot more fresh veggies than chips or cookies and be very satisfied.  In addition to the nutrition, I think my granddaughter actually enjoyed the crunch from celery and carrots more than she did from chips! 

November 18, 2008, 2:01 pm CST

There are worse things in life...............

Quote From: jgambrell

I sit here with tears in my eyes.  I know how these kids feel.  I have been these kids growing up.  I am 38 now.  I have come to a point in life where my weight issues have caught up with me.  I now see a doctor every 3 months to monitor my BP, a nutritionist every month, and now I am considering lap-band surgery.  I am so disgusted with my weight that it has affected me emotionally, mentally, and my married life.

I watched what my kids eat and keep them active.  Parents have to take charge of their children's life and set good habits.  Your child(ren) do not have to be overweight. 

As far as myself my demons are much more than just being overweight.  I have questioned why my parents had to be fat....that is why I am fat. I feel I was delt a bad hand.  Why am I fat, why me.  I want look at myself from the neck down.....so if  I want look at myself, why would anyone else want too....talking about my husband.  He too struggles with his weight too.

I can understand your unhappiness over being overweight, especially in a society where looking "anorexic" is in but, there are worse things out there that can happen to someone. I know this from experience. I have been disabled from an injury that happened about 10 years ago. I've been through several surgery's, the last one I was in critical condition for 4 days. I now live in severe chronic pain every day of my life. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. I get down, depressed, and sometimes feel like just giving up because the pain is so overwhelming. And then I will see someone else who is suffering from something even worse then me. So I suck it up and realize that maybe it's not so bad after all, even though my whole life has been changed completely. Believe me, I'm not making light of your situation. I'm just wanting to let you know that there are many areas where you are still very lucky. I guess you really got to me when I read where you said you have "tears in your eyes". My heart went out to you. I wish you the best of luck and also want to remind you that if you do have Lap Band surgery, to make sure that you find the best doctor you can to perform it. Check their history very carefully and make sure it's something they do extremely often and successfully. I had surgery that resulted in malpractice on my spine, believe me, you don't want to have anything like that happen to you.

Sincerely,

Jewels

November 18, 2008, 2:05 pm CST

Genetic obesity?

As a mother of two children who were born with a very rare condition that causes obesity (among other issues), I was somewhat disappointed that Dr. Phil didn't entirely cover a family dealing with genetic obesity. No matter if I only feed my kids vegetables, they will still be obese. They crave food 24/7. I certainly do not want to be grouped in with the parents who let their kids eat whatever and whenever they want but one look at my boys, and people automatically assume it is me giving in to them. This sydrome and other syndromes that cause behavioral issues such as these should be covered on another show. I also have to keep a metal locked gate to keep them out of the kitchen. This is something that is wrong with their brain, not my parenting skills. Please teach your kids to be tolerant of children who are overweight.

November 18, 2008, 2:10 pm CST

11/18 “My Child Can’t Stop Eating”

My heart goes out to these children. Letting your children eat whatever they want  is one thing but to let them eat however much they want is just crazy. I have a 4yr. old and he loves bread and fruit snacks, but he only gets to eat his snacks once a day and its after lunch and he eats bread with supper only. He can throw the biggest fits but it doews not phase me i never give in and i am a 23 yr old mother of 2. If i can control my son why cant they control there kids. I mean my heart really goes out to these kids cause there the ones suffering and i know it hurts the parents but seriously do the parents run the house or do the children.

November 18, 2008, 2:28 pm CST

kayla the overweight 5 year old

Has this little girl been tested for the genetic disorder:  Prader-Willi Syndrome?  I would hope that her medical doctor would have referred her for genetic testing. She seems to be a classic example.

November 18, 2008, 2:34 pm CST

Sad & pertubed

Did anyone else notice that these kids who can't stop  eating are also badly behaved? It could be the editing, but I get the feeling they are difficult kids in terms of behavior.  It's so weird and crazy seeing parents pacify their kids with food ...wth?? How did it get to be that way?  I feel very sorry watching the first 2 gals - they have no life - they just eat.  and their lives later on, lord have mercy on them. If they remain obese they will always be on the fringes of life.

November 18, 2008, 2:40 pm CST

Fat people feel higher levels of hunger

I have my own serious obesity problem, I have a lot of weight to lose, have lost about 50lbs over last year,  {15 over last two months} but that is very small chunk of what I need to lose. I also have other medical problems influencing my weight but dealing with the hunger is a major component. It is not fun to follow a food plan successfully for a day and then wake up with hunger pains at 3am, and I am not talking psychological, but actual growling of the stomach. One thing I wish that talk shows would discuss regarding obesity, is that fat people really do feel HIGHER levels of hunger and that this is part of the disease.  {One thing the show is correct about is the high fat and sugar those kids are eating is going to kick off a withdrawal even within hours}

This is a severe struggle for me, and I have only maintained and lost the little weight, I have via, "fooling" the hunger which means eating tons of fiber: including a truck load of vegetables. I was a fat little kid that grew up to have a severe obesity problem, and I know from the time I was a child, I was hungrier then other children, and while a normal person could go 8-10 hours skipping a meal or two, for me that would be impossible. I would cry for food, and my mother had to police the food for both me and my brother, who also grew up to have an obesity problem though not as severe as my own.

In my family I have a nephew NOW who is 100lbs and 3 years old and another that is 8 years old and nearly 150lbs. . I am scared that several young relatives in my family are dealing with what I did as a child, except while I was fat as a kid, things are worse today, kids arent as active and I had a paper route and was on my bike constantly which kept me only moderately obese as a child rather then super-obese.

Normal children DO not feel this level of HUNGER, where they would even be throwing temper tantrums to get their mother to feed them a truck load of food. There is something wrong with the satiety mechanism in the brain, now the bad food of this society impacts this making it worse, but this is an aspect of obesity I wish researchers would deal with.

Make sure these kids do not have Prader Willi, test them for pre-diabetes, and other problems. There are medical problems that will cause severe hunger.

Make sure to transition the diet to DECENT FOOD, HIGH FIBER, no more grease, no more sugar, and meals that are complete, with tons of soup, salad, fruit, and more.

I am hoping to lose weight myself and not give up, it is slow going, but this is my life at risk. Nip this problem in the bud NOW while you can, it only gets worse. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last