Message Boards

Topic : 11/19 Shoplifting Confessions

Number of Replies: 144
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 14, 2008, 03:17:58 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
As the nation suffers through an economic meltdown, many Americans resort to drastic measures to keep their families afloat. Just how far would you go to stay in the black? Laura and her husband, Allen, say they’ve made nearly $1 million in the last six years. There’s just one problem –- they don’t have jobs! Self-proclaimed professional shoplifters, the couple says they travel across state lines to steal TVs, toys, electronics and more –- and they often take their three young children along on their heists. They videotape themselves to show Dr. Phil how they get away with nabbing big-ticket items. Do Laura and Allen just get a thrill from thievery, or are they kleptomaniacs? Can the couple quit for good before they get arrested and lose their children? Then, Tami and Chris have a beautiful house, three cars and two children. But Tami says her husband is shattering their idyllic home life with his shoplifting addiction. She says he’s been arrested four times and was recently sentenced to 90 days in state prison. Chris joins Dr. Phil via satellite from jail to tell his side of the story. Find out why he says he can’t stop stealing, but when he hears his 4-year-old daughter's emotional plea, will he change his mind? And, Tami’s mom, Marilyn, calls Chris a pathological liar and says her daughter needs to kick him to the curb. Is Chris beyond redemption? Will he be able to clean up his act? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 19, 2008, 7:28 am CST

THIS COUPLE ANGERS ME!!!

THIS COUPLE SHOULD BE IN JAIL!!!  THERE KIDS NEED TO GO TO CHILD SERVICES...WHAT, GOING ON THE DOCTOR PHIL SHOW  ALLOWS YOU TO NOT PASS GO AND GO STRAIGHT "PAST" JAIL????  THIS IS OUTRAGEOUSSSS!!  THEY ARE CRIMINALS.  THEY KNEW WHAT THEY WERE DOING.  THIS IS NOT SOME DISEASE THEY HAVE THAT DOC PHIL CAN TREAT....COME ONNNN!!  THOSE KIDS HAVE BEEN EXPOSED TO ORGANIZED CRIME.  WHAT WILL THEY GROW UP TO BE???? THIEFS TOO!!  WHAT'S WORSE, IS THIS COUPLE DOES NOT LOOK REMORSEFUL.  THEY SEEM LIKE THEY'RE BRAGGING ABOUT IT.  IT'S NOT ENOUGH THEY STOLE/STEAL, BUT NOW THEY GET TO SHOW OTHERS HOW TO DO IT TOO!  VERY SAD ...TODAYS WORLD.  PATHETIC IS THE WORD.  I HOPE JUSTICE IS SERVED WITH THESE 'PEOPLE'.  THERE HAS TO BE ACCOUNTABILITY IN THIS LIFE.  JAIL TIME IS IMPORTANT FOR THEM.  THEY DID NOT CARE ENOUGH ABOUT THEIR KIDS WHEN THEY TOOK THEM IN THE STORE TO STEAL, SO THEY SHOULDN'T CARE WHEN THE KIDS ARE TAKEN AWAY.  I HOPE THEY FIND SANITY, AND INTELLIGENT RESPONSIBILITY.  WHERE IS THE JUSTICE IN AMERICA!!!! 

November 19, 2008, 7:30 am CST

Laura and Allen

I can't believe these two, he is so arrogant.  These 2 actually think that what they do is funny.  I so hope they get busted and sent to prison.  They don't appear to have any shame.

November 19, 2008, 7:31 am CST

11/19 Shoplifting Confessions

Quote From: alpha12

But these people are not stealing to survive.  They're stealing because they feel entitled to things they can't afford. 
I said, "I."

November 19, 2008, 7:40 am CST

shoplifting not a joke

I am a 37 year old female who happens to be a shift supervisor at CVS. I am currently watching your show and the anger I feel is overwhelming!

I work second shift and I'm usually in the store with a teenage coworker from 5-10pm nights that I work.

I am SO sick of these people stealing! They don't even understand what they put US through! On NUMEROUS occasions, I found myself having to confront MEN that are three times my size (as the guy on your show now) to recover merchandise! I've been pushed, shoved, threatened and even had a razor pulled on me before when confronting these criminals! It's horrible to have to go to work and feel AFRAID of these lazy thieves that seem to think they're ABOVE getting a job!

Do they also realize that everything that gets stolen not only makes the prices go up like you said, but also makes the people that work there get smaller raises because the company has "lost too much money to shoplifting this year"?

Get a JOB people! If I can do it, so can you!

November 19, 2008, 7:45 am CST

Quote From: getrealtime

What!!!! you gotta do what you gotta do mentality steal if you can't afford a cell phone. Come on if you you can't afford one don't get one, if you want one work for it, just like the rest of us do.

In this country you are not guaranteed  anything but  you have opportunitys to achieve (work) for what you want. If 30 40 hours is not enough to get what you want work 60 hours or find a new job that will allow you that option. Go to school get a education can't afford it join the service and get a college fund for your time given to your country. There is always options, It just what you are willing to do to achive those options

Right... unless they work nights, I would want to know why they have time to complain about being so poor when they obviously have a tv and a computer .  Instead of getting a job, or maybe a second job to make ends meet, they have plenty of time to watch talk shows and chit chat on this message board about how this country is horrible.  Think about what you NEED and not what you WANT.  I do agree that the wrong people (people in the sports and entertainment industry) are getting richer by the second.  However, it is what it is.  Make yourself and your family proud and teach them to work for everything you achieve.  It will feel a lot better than stealing and feeling shame and embarrassment when caught. 

The couple that doesn't work but has plenty of time and energy to steal but not enough time to work, should be in jail.  They don't feel bad for stealing from big corporations and dept stores, but what if the tables were turned.  Stealing is wrong no matter who is the victim.  It affects the economy and the employment rate.  Ask yourself this:  when you are stealing that shirt from Wal-Mart and you do get caught and then prosecuted and punished, think back.  Was it worth it? 

I actually felt bad for the father that was in jail, not for doing his time of course, but for his family and because he seemed remorseful.  Hopefully, this man can get help.  Watching his little girl cry for him was heartbreaking.  SHE didn't ask for this.  He has to do what is right for his family if he really cares. 

November 19, 2008, 7:47 am CST

shoplifting is sooo wrong

There are so many people like myself who can't find work. That doesn't give anyone the right to steal because they don't have work. It makes me so angry when shoplifters think that it is funny and that it is a job for them. They are taking advantage of all of us and it just isn't right. And the fact that this couple takes their childrn with them is absolutely sickening. They are teaching them that they don't have to work, just steal from other people who work hard for their money. I have been unemployed for over a year now, actively seeking work and I have never once thought of stealing from anyone. There just is no excuse for that type of behavior.

November 19, 2008, 7:50 am CST

Quote From: getrealtime

What!!!! you gotta do what you gotta do mentality steal if you can't afford a cell phone. Come on if you you can't afford one don't get one, if you want one work for it, just like the rest of us do.

In this country you are not guaranteed  anything but  you have opportunitys to achieve (work) for what you want. If 30 40 hours is not enough to get what you want work 60 hours or find a new job that will allow you that option. Go to school get a education can't afford it join the service and get a college fund for your time given to your country. There is always options, It just what you are willing to do to achive those options

He said basics, you said cell phone. I used to play this game as a child. We called it  telephone or ketchup. How is a single father with an elderly parent supposed to go to war, or work 60 hours a week, or go to school? The jobs are being shipped over seas so the rich and get richer and the poor poorer. Every day there are less and less options unless you are a corporation and can get bailed out by a corrupt government. In your country you are guaranteed a lot, freedom, honest government working for you, a say in what happens to your taxes, that if you work hard you will be OK. No one should have to work the kind of hours you suggest, it wasn't always like that. A lot of people ended up in your country because they stole a piece of bread to keep from starving seems things are coming full circle. Stealing luxury items for pleasure is wrong and they should be thrown in jail. This example though  is apples and oranges.

November 19, 2008, 7:52 am CST

OF COURSE CHRIS IS A 'HAPPY' DAD......heLLooOoOO!

OF COURSE CHRIS IS A "HAPPY", ATTENTIVE DAD, HE'S "HAPPY" BECAUSE HE'S FEEDING HIS EMPTY SOUL WITH HIS ADDICTION.  HIS ENJOYMENT OF STEALING IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN HIS WIFE AND KIDS.  OTHERWISE HE'D DO WHAT IT TOOK TO STOP THIS PROBLEM.  I FEEL BADLY FOR THE CHILDREN HE HAS, BUT THIS STORY IS FILLED WITH KARMA....WHAT YOU CHOOSE TO DO, COMES BACK TO HAUNT YOU. CHRIS CAN NEVER GET BACK THE HURT HE'S CAUSED HIS KIDS.  FATEFULLY, IT'S THE JUSTICE THAT OCCURS, EVEN IF OUR OWN JUSTICE SYSTEM DOES NOT CATCH AND PUNISH THESE THIEVES.  MY PRAYERS GO OUT TO CHRIS'S WIFE AND KIDS,  MAY GOD GIVE THEM THE COURAGE TO CHOOSE WHAT IS IN THE BEST INTEREST OF A STABLE LIFE FOR THEMSELVES (AND THOSE CHILDREN).  WHICH MIGHT NOT INCLUDE THEIR DAD, IF HE DOESN'T GET THE HELP HE NEEDS.  GOOD LUCK TO YOU,  ANNE of MI

November 19, 2008, 8:13 am CST

I dont blame these people

Dr.Phil these people got away with this for so long because of their skin color an the way society looks an judges white people.If this had been a typical black family they would have already been suspect when they walk through those doors.I really don"t blame them for doing what they have to do to take care of there kids an household.I have six kids an trust me it has cross my mind a few times an I have done whatever has to be done to make sure we barely have the things we need. just to get by if that is stealing shoes because there shoes are tore up to having washing powder to wash clothes with I have done it to just get by;being without a job for 2 years an six kids yall just do't understand the drastic measures some familys have to take just to get by.So until u have walked a day in there shoes WHO ARE U TO JUDGE ANYBODY!!!!!!!

November 19, 2008, 8:24 am CST

These people belong in jail

I am truly offended that these people are stealing from all of us.  They may think that they are stealing only from corporations or "stores" but the truth is they are taking from all of our pockets.  Every item stolen accounts for approximately 26% of all the rest of the items' retail price.  That's the price that all of us honest hard working individuals have to pay for even the most basic items.  "Stores" have to hire loss prevention or security to attempt to stop people like these and that salary must be paid out of profit.  The loss of inventory itself comes out of profit.  It all adds up and everyone pays the price.  So this worthless couple is passing along their debt to not only you and I but their parents, grandparents, siblings and children.  They are lower than scum on a pond and deserve to have their children taken from them as well as all the stuff they have accumulated. 

It's going to be awfully hard for them to get legitimate jobs now because they have no recent credible work history to reference.  And now they have been foolish enough to show their faces on national television and all potential employers know what criminals they are.  Who would want someone like that as an employee?  It's a shame that it's their children that are going to pay the price for their selfish stupidity. 

I say let their local authorities know where they live and let them pay the piper.  Place those children with a responsible relative or foster home where they can learn some morals and decency. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last