Message Boards

Topic : 11/19 Shoplifting Confessions

Number of Replies: 144
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 14, 2008, 03:17:58 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
As the nation suffers through an economic meltdown, many Americans resort to drastic measures to keep their families afloat. Just how far would you go to stay in the black? Laura and her husband, Allen, say they’ve made nearly $1 million in the last six years. There’s just one problem –- they don’t have jobs! Self-proclaimed professional shoplifters, the couple says they travel across state lines to steal TVs, toys, electronics and more –- and they often take their three young children along on their heists. They videotape themselves to show Dr. Phil how they get away with nabbing big-ticket items. Do Laura and Allen just get a thrill from thievery, or are they kleptomaniacs? Can the couple quit for good before they get arrested and lose their children? Then, Tami and Chris have a beautiful house, three cars and two children. But Tami says her husband is shattering their idyllic home life with his shoplifting addiction. She says he’s been arrested four times and was recently sentenced to 90 days in state prison. Chris joins Dr. Phil via satellite from jail to tell his side of the story. Find out why he says he can’t stop stealing, but when he hears his 4-year-old daughter's emotional plea, will he change his mind? And, Tami’s mom, Marilyn, calls Chris a pathological liar and says her daughter needs to kick him to the curb. Is Chris beyond redemption? Will he be able to clean up his act? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 19, 2008, 8:33 am CST

Shoplifting confessions

Quote From: wfkermit

I work in a retail store and get up at 4 a.m. to get to work at 5:00 to unload a 53' trailer and bust my butt putting this stuff out on the floor so these fools can steal it!  This pisses me off that I work this hard making $8.00 an hour so they can come in and steal from us.  If I can work this hard than why can't they do it, too?  A little bit of hard work doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger!  These people don't deserve to have kids!  They are setting bad examples for their kids.  That guy that was up there laughing about it needs to go to jail and do some hard time.  We'll see who's laughing then!  

My husband manages a large retail store, and he has seen his company raise prices every quarter to keep up with what retailers call "shrinkage."  That is a nice word for theft.  Much of the theft is from shoplifting, but unfortunately, a lot is done by employees.  Yesterday he had to terminate 2 employees who had collaborated with friends to steal over $600 worth of toys and games.  None of them have any children, so we can only assume they stole them for resale.  All 4 have been arrested and are awaiting arraignment in the county jail.  Where we live, over $500 is a felony, so these folks are looking at some time in prison.  Had there been children involved, they would have been placed in other's homes.  Company-wide, losses are huge.  When people say they don't mind stealing from companies or large stores, keep in mind they are stealing from YOU.  Not only do prices go up to compensate for losses, but raises that would have been available for employees either disappear or are much smaller than they could have been.  YOU, the consumer and YOU, the employee, are the ones who are really hurt by people like this. The poster above works long, hard hours for his $8/hr.  Without all the theft, his company could afford to pay him much, much more.  It's too bad those deadbeats on the stage are stealing from this man.

Our family has been through some very, very hard times.  We have faced illness, accidents, natural disasters, unemployment and other very serious problems, all without stealing a single thing. Anything we have ever had, we have earned.   Stealing is not a lifestyle, nor is it a viable choice.  It's just a stupid crime, and those who do it are not sick, they are just criminals who are too lazy to get a real job. They do not deserve a trip to Dr. Phil, nor do they deserve "counseling."  They should get what they have earned-a swift kick in the tail all the way to JAIL.

November 19, 2008, 9:25 am CST

ARE YOU KIDDING ME????

I AM IN SHOCK!!  PLEASE TELL ME THAT THOSE IDIOTS THAT CONFESSED TO MILLIONS OF DOLLARS OF SHOPLIFTING JUST GOT TO WALK OFF THE SHOW WITH NO LEGAL CONSEQUENCES....IF THEY DON'T GET PROSECUTED, THERE IS SOMETHING VERY WRONG WITH THE SYSTEM AND WITH THIS SHOW.....HOW COULD YOU ALLOW THEM TO OPEN THEIR FOOLISH MOUTHS AND NOT HAVE AUTHORITIES THERE TO TAKE THEM AWAY?????  I AM ALMOST SPEECHLESS!  AT THE VERY LEAST, THIS IS A FORM OF CHILD ABUSE...................................

November 19, 2008, 10:05 am CST

They are So Lucky

If I had been the local FBI bureau chief I would have had a couple of guys in dark suits  waiting outside your studio doors before the end of the show.

I'm not exactly the nasty type. In fact I'm pretty easy going. If someone stole enough food to feed themselves and their family then I'd want to know why and if it wasn't their fault I would probably let them off with a caution / warning and give them some cash to get a decent meal.

These pair were an obscenity. Not only were they stealing from all over the country they were doing so in an organised and deliberate way, for pure profit and involving their kids. Then they were selling stolen goods, from the looks of it on EBAY, who really need to close his account down today. They are effectively implicating innocent parties in receiving Stolen goods and at the same time likely committing mail fraud by selling stolen goods over state boundaries.

The list of offences is probably endless and they worry about losing their kids. They really need to worry more about if they will ever get out of Federal Prison. The effect on the kids is history, perhaps another show could cover the kids rehab they will need it. Its just a matter of time until they are taken away from these dishonest individuals and this is one of the few cases where its clearly the right thing to do

I think these guys need locking away and the key should be recycled.

November 19, 2008, 10:25 am CST

11/19 Shoplifting Confessions

Quote From: efffy_

He said basics, you said cell phone. I used to play this game as a child. We called it  telephone or ketchup. How is a single father with an elderly parent supposed to go to war, or work 60 hours a week, or go to school? The jobs are being shipped over seas so the rich and get richer and the poor poorer. Every day there are less and less options unless you are a corporation and can get bailed out by a corrupt government. In your country you are guaranteed a lot, freedom, honest government working for you, a say in what happens to your taxes, that if you work hard you will be OK. No one should have to work the kind of hours you suggest, it wasn't always like that. A lot of people ended up in your country because they stole a piece of bread to keep from starving seems things are coming full circle. Stealing luxury items for pleasure is wrong and they should be thrown in jail. This example though  is apples and oranges.
Excuses excuse will get you now where. How do single mothers do it every day and put their kids through college???? Look at Obamas wife single mother of two who worked her a** off  to put two kids through school.  hmmmm sounds to me that it has to do with want and not a give me mentality.

November 19, 2008, 11:06 am CST

11/19 Shoplifting Confessions

Quote From: getrealtime

Excuses excuse will get you now where. How do single mothers do it every day and put their kids through college???? Look at Obamas wife single mother of two who worked her a** off  to put two kids through school.  hmmmm sounds to me that it has to do with want and not a give me mentality.
Times change. Have you not noticed how many people are struggling and not 'doing it,' every day. Food banks are stretched to the limits, shelters are turning people away, unemployment rates are skyrocketing, families are losing their houses. Jobs are being shipped overseas at a staggering rate so stockholders can squeeze one more penny. I hope if you are ever struggling or in trouble you find someone with a kinder attitude then you have. Single mother, or father... just semantics.

November 19, 2008, 12:56 pm CST

are you kidding me

Chris had the chase to change. Tammy get rid this bum. He is deal drugs now do you really want to put your kids into that. He could have never went to a store again  and that would have stopped. He don't even look like a trust worthy guy. There are other great dads out there that would be better role models for your children Do not go back with him until he is fixed. One night you may wake up facing guys there to kill you because of his drug trafficing.

November 19, 2008, 1:08 pm CST

I'm a Compulsive Thief and Next Tuesday I'm Going to Pay

I just caught the tail end of the show, but I completely understand what these guests are going through. I've been a compulsive thief for about 20 years. Last year I was caught stealing from my employer and I wil be sentenced next Tuesday to 1 year in jail. It's so awful. I know that most people don't agree but it truly is a sickness and I hate myself for it.

November 19, 2008, 1:19 pm CST

Jail time for not commiting the crime

My fiance is a good man he had a past criminal record but he left that in the past. He had a job and everything. Then, on May 18th, 2008 while I was at work he took my seventeen year old sister to Walmart. He was buying phone cards and talking to me on his cell phone because I was at work. He was going to pick me up in a little bit. So anyways my sister gets a cart and steals $600.00 worth of stuff and walks right past the cash register. Well she gets caught oboviously... but the messed up part is that my fiance had norhing to do with it and he got arrested also. Well she got to go home that day because she is 17. My fiance is 28 and on parole so can you say goodbye freedom. He has been in jail since May 18th,2008 and he is probably going to get out around June of 2009 and he isent the one that even stole anything!!! Our law system deffinetly needs changed!!!!!!!!

November 19, 2008, 1:20 pm CST

I can't believe this!

It makes me sick to think people do this are claim they are "successful" at it. It makes people like me (barely making it paycheck to paycheck and forgoing things I need for my children) have to pay more for merchandise because of people like this. I am not alone in these hard times and there a thousands of people in my situation. I would NEVER think of anything like this. Get a  JOB and earn your things by being honest. I hope they get what is coming to them. I'm interested as to hear why they dare show their face.

November 19, 2008, 1:22 pm CST

men do change

Quote From: fireman453

Chris had the chase to change. Tammy get rid this bum. He is deal drugs now do you really want to put your kids into that. He could have never went to a store again  and that would have stopped. He don't even look like a trust worthy guy. There are other great dads out there that would be better role models for your children Do not go back with him until he is fixed. One night you may wake up facing guys there to kill you because of his drug trafficing.
I have sympathy for this man he doesnt do it for the money its a real problem. When you make vows before God its for better or worse. Stealing can be addictive! It is wrong though!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last