Message Boards

Topic : 11/19 Shoplifting Confessions

Number of Replies: 144
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 14, 2008, 03:17:58 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
As the nation suffers through an economic meltdown, many Americans resort to drastic measures to keep their families afloat. Just how far would you go to stay in the black? Laura and her husband, Allen, say they’ve made nearly $1 million in the last six years. There’s just one problem –- they don’t have jobs! Self-proclaimed professional shoplifters, the couple says they travel across state lines to steal TVs, toys, electronics and more –- and they often take their three young children along on their heists. They videotape themselves to show Dr. Phil how they get away with nabbing big-ticket items. Do Laura and Allen just get a thrill from thievery, or are they kleptomaniacs? Can the couple quit for good before they get arrested and lose their children? Then, Tami and Chris have a beautiful house, three cars and two children. But Tami says her husband is shattering their idyllic home life with his shoplifting addiction. She says he’s been arrested four times and was recently sentenced to 90 days in state prison. Chris joins Dr. Phil via satellite from jail to tell his side of the story. Find out why he says he can’t stop stealing, but when he hears his 4-year-old daughter's emotional plea, will he change his mind? And, Tami’s mom, Marilyn, calls Chris a pathological liar and says her daughter needs to kick him to the curb. Is Chris beyond redemption? Will he be able to clean up his act? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 19, 2008, 1:25 pm CST

Arrest!!!!!!

That couple needs to be arrested and their parental rights need to be terminated.  Their children are learning that not working for a living and just stealing from people is the right thing to do.  Those babies need a real man to show them how to live because that man is just a lazy low life and so is that woman.   Other people work 2 and 3 jobs if they have to, to take care of their familes. They are trash and need to be put in prison.

November 19, 2008, 1:27 pm CST

its ok god still loves you

Quote From: khryss

I just caught the tail end of the show, but I completely understand what these guests are going through. I've been a compulsive thief for about 20 years. Last year I was caught stealing from my employer and I wil be sentenced next Tuesday to 1 year in jail. It's so awful. I know that most people don't agree but it truly is a sickness and I hate myself for it.
Everyone makes mistakes just make sure when you get out you dont do it again. You can do anything you want to in life just put your mind to it. Stay strong !!!

November 19, 2008, 1:28 pm CST

I am pissed

I am so mad! It is because of people like this that prices are so high for everyone else!!!!! There are many things I would like, but I will do without itbefore I would steal it. And to the person who said they'd rather steal from a big store than a person, you are wrong. That is not the way to think. It  is higher costs of because of people like that.

If only they put as much thought into getting a decent job as they do stealing. They have the time and $$$$ to go driving from state to state??? Then get off your butts and get a decent job.

I feel their kids should be taken away and them arrested as they walk off the stage. If the kids are not taekn away, they will be just like their parents one day, feeling they are entitled to whatever they want wherever or whenever they want it.

This is bull plain and clear. This is a felony and no different than someone who breaks into your house and steals from you.

November 19, 2008, 1:29 pm CST

people make mistakes

Quote From: hopalong30

That couple needs to be arrested and their parental rights need to be terminated.  Their children are learning that not working for a living and just stealing from people is the right thing to do.  Those babies need a real man to show them how to live because that man is just a lazy low life and so is that woman.   Other people work 2 and 3 jobs if they have to, to take care of their familes. They are trash and need to be put in prison.

No one is perfect not even you so what gives you the right to judge anyone?

November 19, 2008, 1:30 pm CST

How they got away with it

I have work in the retail business and I would like to know how they walked out with all those things that have security tags on them.  I know that all the Television have a security tag around them.  There is no way someone can  walk out like that because they have security cameras in those areas that they think people would go to do those things.  I never in my have stolen from a store and I never will. If you don't have the money to get then you don't need to steal it from a store that is just idiotic on there end.

November 19, 2008, 1:32 pm CST

I agree

Quote From: hopalong30

They do need to get arrest.  I know what it is like to struggle.  My husband is Military and we still live pay check to pay.  But that is not going to make me go  out and steal.  My kids will have the things that they need but the things that they want will wait until we can afford it

November 19, 2008, 1:34 pm CST

You Should not Judge

Quote From: bhm1rn

My husband manages a large retail store, and he has seen his company raise prices every quarter to keep up with what retailers call "shrinkage."  That is a nice word for theft.  Much of the theft is from shoplifting, but unfortunately, a lot is done by employees.  Yesterday he had to terminate 2 employees who had collaborated with friends to steal over $600 worth of toys and games.  None of them have any children, so we can only assume they stole them for resale.  All 4 have been arrested and are awaiting arraignment in the county jail.  Where we live, over $500 is a felony, so these folks are looking at some time in prison.  Had there been children involved, they would have been placed in other's homes.  Company-wide, losses are huge.  When people say they don't mind stealing from companies or large stores, keep in mind they are stealing from YOU.  Not only do prices go up to compensate for losses, but raises that would have been available for employees either disappear or are much smaller than they could have been.  YOU, the consumer and YOU, the employee, are the ones who are really hurt by people like this. The poster above works long, hard hours for his $8/hr.  Without all the theft, his company could afford to pay him much, much more.  It's too bad those deadbeats on the stage are stealing from this man.

Our family has been through some very, very hard times.  We have faced illness, accidents, natural disasters, unemployment and other very serious problems, all without stealing a single thing. Anything we have ever had, we have earned.   Stealing is not a lifestyle, nor is it a viable choice.  It's just a stupid crime, and those who do it are not sick, they are just criminals who are too lazy to get a real job. They do not deserve a trip to Dr. Phil, nor do they deserve "counseling."  They should get what they have earned-a swift kick in the tail all the way to JAIL.

Have you ever made a mistake? The answer is yes of course how would you like it if somone just threw you in jail because you made a mistake! No one is perfect!

November 19, 2008, 1:34 pm CST

11/19 Shoplifting Confessions

Quote From: javawoman2

These people should be in JAIL!  I can't believe they have the nerve to go on a TV show, but then again I can't believe they have the nerve to do what they have been doing.  It's called STEALING, what is there to dicuss, lock them up. Get off your lazy A** and  Work like everyone else.  I'm so sick of people thinking that everything should be just given to them. 

I so totally agree with you!!!  My question is, why aren't they being arrested and carted off to jail.?  The way that Dr. Phil and them were talking, it sounded like they were so worried about losing their children that they dediced to come clean and then start  over fresh.  But that does not make sense at all!!!  By coming out and confessing to stealing over $1 million worth of merchandise, doesn't this automaticalloy mean that they will have to go to jail?  And doesn't that mean that they would lose their  children? 

ARE THESE CRIMINALS GOING TO BE ARRESTED NOW?  That's what I want to know.

November 19, 2008, 1:38 pm CST

Educational Show

I just wanted to thank you for this show on shoplifting.  My husband is currently taking classes for his degree in Loss Prevention and I am sure that he will find this very interesting and informational.  He also is contacting his professor to alert him to this episode so that others in his class can also see this information.  while the subject and its victims (especially the families) are sad, once again I would like to thank you for airing such important information. sue in mid-michigan

November 19, 2008, 1:38 pm CST

11/19 Shoplifting Confessions

Quote From: linny62

I AM IN SHOCK!!  PLEASE TELL ME THAT THOSE IDIOTS THAT CONFESSED TO MILLIONS OF DOLLARS OF SHOPLIFTING JUST GOT TO WALK OFF THE SHOW WITH NO LEGAL CONSEQUENCES....IF THEY DON'T GET PROSECUTED, THERE IS SOMETHING VERY WRONG WITH THE SYSTEM AND WITH THIS SHOW.....HOW COULD YOU ALLOW THEM TO OPEN THEIR FOOLISH MOUTHS AND NOT HAVE AUTHORITIES THERE TO TAKE THEM AWAY?????  I AM ALMOST SPEECHLESS!  AT THE VERY LEAST, THIS IS A FORM OF CHILD ABUSE...................................

You said exactly how I feel about this too!!!!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last