Message Boards

Topic : 11/21 Same-Sex Marriage?

Number of Replies: 2026
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 14, 2008, 03:19:49 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
It’s a hot-button topic in California and around the country: The passage of Proposition 8, which reinstated a ban on same-sex marriage. Supporters of this initiative voted to preserve the sanctity of marriage solely between a man and a woman. Opponents of Prop 8 say it violates the constitutional rights of the gay community and that America’s laws should treat everyone equally. Since Election Day, numerous protests and rallies have been organized to overturn the law, and the debates are getting heated regarding this highly personal and controversial topic. Dr. Phil’s guests debate their opposing points of view: Discrimination attorney Gloria Allred, president of the Human Rights Campaign Joe Solmonese, San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom, Pastor Jim Garlow, president of National Organization of Marriage Maggie Gallagher and co-campaign manager for the Yes on 8 Campaign Jeff Flint. Whatever your beliefs, you won’t want to miss this show! Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

Do you have a strong opinion on this debate? E-mail Dr. Phil and speak out about the same-sex marriage show!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 15, 2008, 2:59 pm CST

11/21 Same-Sex Marriage?

Quote From: deannaruedy

First of all, I am strait,  live in California and have been married for 18 years to a wonderful guy.  I loved being married and the benefits (and some of the frustrations) that come from it.  I do not understand why, if two people love each other, who am I to say that they can not enjoy the same things that I enjoy.  It's the right thing to do.

I have heard all the reasons why we shouldn't have same sex marriage in this state because, god forbid, they teach it in our schools.  First of all, I want anyone to tell me when they were "taught" about marriage in the school system... Okay... You can't remember??? It's because it's not part of what is required.  I have 2 girls (one in 8th grade and the other in 9th) and have been working closely with their teachers in the classroom and not once, was marriage talked about. 

Even if, who knows marriage is taughjt, so what...  It is part of our society and it will teach tolerance and acceptance.  We had a child in Oxnard (my city) murdered by another child because he was gay.  This single act destroyed not only the two kids that were involved, but their families and the students and teachers that were there and witnessed it.  I'm on a School Site Council for another school and we immediately determined that we needed to talk about tolerance, acceptance and teach that everyone should treat everybody with dignaty and respect. 

I also go to a Christain church and made sure my church was accepting of Gay people.  If not, I wouldn't be a member of it. I love the Lord and I cannot imagine he's looking down from heaven and is proud of how we are treating each other.

Do you realize only 50 years ago we had the audacity to tell black people they couldn't marry a white person.  Obviously this was wrong and so is this. 

I sure hope my grandchildren look back on this time and place and say to me "Oh my gosh, Grandma, Gay people couldn't get married, what in the world was anyone thinking".

Methinks that "straight" is the word you were looking for.

I have friends that are gay and they are very devoted friends, marriage is a union between two
people of the opposite sex. There is a person (for lack of a better word) flaunting theirself on
TV, IT used to be a woman, turned into a man with female parts and is pregnant for the 2nd
time and TV land is telling us that a man is having a baby. Please don't try to brain wash the
public, that is a female with a mustache having that baby. Why didn't she just stay female?
Those children are going to grow up totally confused. What happened to the world?? It's
gone crazy.

November 15, 2008, 3:03 pm CST

DoctorPhil Show.

Debate Doctor Eight Marriage Phil Prop Question Same-Sex? Ate you kidding me? I donot understand tha-

t.. Is this a joke? Better not be. See you on Fridfay November 21st, 2008. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaander-

en.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

November 15, 2008, 3:20 pm CST

same sex marriage

I don't have a problem with people that are gay or lesbian.

In fact I have some that a good friends because I judge them

only by their characters. What they do in their private lives are their

own business but when you or anyone wants to make it my business

Then I do have a say.  If you follow the bible as a word of god then you

know that god says that man and woman are joined together to have children

forsaking all others. That man to man or woman to woman is a sin.

What you do with your own life is your decision but when you make it mine than

that becomes another issue. I have a real problem when gays and lesbians

pickett in front of churches, temples and halls demanding that they recogizine them

as a couple in the eyes of god. We all have the right to believe in god in our own ways

so if you want start your own churches don't condemm others for their beliefs.

I wouldn't even have a problem if marriage is the real issue here but it isn't

Gay couples or lesbian couples only want to be able to get the money that is given in

government pensions etc  that is alloted to couples that are married.

now adays most people just turn the other way when life styles aren't the same

as their own so very few people condemm gay or lesbian couples lifestyle. Just don't

push it on to them.

November 15, 2008, 3:39 pm CST

Same Sex Marriage

Dr Phil,

I really don`t understand how this issue has gotten so far out of hand. There is no way that there should ever be such an outragious part of our being that anyone should be concerned about this issue.

My opinion is that this has gone on for centuries and now in our century we have people thinking because you love someone of the same sex that you should marry them, as their love is so intence that it has to be concemated in a church approved by GOD. This is the worst part of this senerio that I can imagine. It`s so rediculas that anyone in their proper mind ( if thinking with phycological stability ) would realize how rediculas this really is. There are many people of the same sex that I truly love that are in my life and in my 65 years have met many people whom I still regard as part of my life.

I think we have let to many orginizations," and thats what I feel this is all about" con polititions",the general public, organizations, in  beliving that they are intitled to do as they please. This has nothing to do with making a family unit, but is only to have Gay`s breath a sigh of relief that they are accepted. They are accepted as human beings the same as everyone else, however their desire that people accept them as gay married individuals is totally unexceptable . If they choose to love, share accomadations, make love to one another, go shopping together, eat together, that`s their right, but to expect society to accept their choice of lifestyle, and to continue to try to have the majority of society except their choice, is totally showing society that it is wrong. I never had to protest in order to mary my wife and have three wonderful children. Because that is the only marriage.

So if gays want to be excepted and able to marry, Form your own community, and religous leader, and you can always pretend, and believe that your doing the right thing, but leave the rest of society alone, as you are making all gays look rediculas.

Al

November 15, 2008, 3:44 pm CST

Same-sex marriage?

Quote From: dkgingras

It's is truly SAD that the people have voted to discriminate based on predjutice.   Whoopi was RIGHT.   They got it wrong.  Because they voted based on FEAR and UNTRUE statements put forth from a very large out of state religion.   Just like President Bush did.  Throw  fear into their minds to get what you want.  So sad!!!
I can't believe the government, be it state or Federal, has the gall to step in and try to change the vote that was passed by the general public.  It is strickly fear tactics, something like has been shoved down our throats for the past eight years. The vote is in and the public has spoken, so why don't people back off, not of this subject but who our next president will be. He is not even president yet and is already receiving threats to his life.  I agree, it is getting to the point of why VOTE?

November 15, 2008, 3:58 pm CST

Are you kidding me?

About Prop 8:  I am a LDS member, although inactive, and I am HIGHLY embarrassed that the LDS church has pretty much funded Prop 8.

Sixty or so years ago, interracial relationships, let alone marriages were not just damned, but were ILLEGAL.  We saw the light, saying colour and race has nothing to do with love.  Now, I know several interracial relationships.  These decent people have to try twice as hard to be just as accepted due to some stuffed shirts or people who seem not to have enough of their own troubles at home that they have to go mind everyone else's business.

It is illegal to discriminate against a job applicant due to race, creed, origin, disability, or sexual orientation.  So, do you mean to tell me that a person applying for a burger flipper has more right than two responsible people in love and want to make it official? Great, so we don't discriminate against the burger flipper, but we do against someone seeking a marriage license?  Gee, how nice for the people at the fast food chain.  With teen pregnancy on the rise, education on the decline and family values and respect completely gone or close to it, we are worried about same sex marriage? 

Last I looked, gays (as well as non-gays) work, pay taxes, they laugh, they cry, they actually have brains and opinions.  They also vote.  There are some awesome gay people, some of them I happen to have the pleasure to know.  Some, I see on TV, such as Ellen DeGeneres.  She may be gay (and open about it) but if you judge her solely on her orientation, you miss so much. 

America was built on freedom.  Freedom from prosecution and persecution against worshipping the way they want, loving the way they want.  How hypocritial of us to say everyone has equal rights as long as we like what you do with a loving, consenting partner, behind closed doors, in their own homes. 

Perhaps if we went after corrupt politicans, illegal aliens, and supported education, and help for families who are trying to stay above the poverty line and in their homes as we go after gays who have broken no laws, perhaps we as a country could actually advance mentally, emotionally, as well as technologically into the 21st century. 

November 15, 2008, 4:07 pm CST

no blame on the churches

I really think if people have a problems about some churches saying how they feel about same sex marriages well it is the people that have the problems.  It says in the bible that marriage is between a male and female. Adam and Eve were married in  the Garden of Eden. It was not Adam and Adam/ Eve and Eve that was married in the Garden of Eden.

November 15, 2008, 4:24 pm CST

SAME-SEX MARRAGE CA PROP 8

When I was 10 years old (1955.)   I remember  playing outside of my house when my mother came out

to where I was playing and hurried me back into the house quickly.

The reason?  There was a black man walking down the street arm & arm with a white woman.

OMG!  God forbid if I saw this awful tragic scene.....................Well folks how does that effect us today.

It's normal in this generation.

what I am trying to say is 5-10-15 year from now Gay marriage will be common as straight marriage.

And everyone knows I am right. 

There will always be people that will never except gays.  Just like there will alway be people who will

never except mixed marriage.

Mike

November 15, 2008, 4:57 pm CST

What About My Rights?

I am tired of the homosexual community yelling that their "rights" are violated because they can't get married.  I am a heterosexual who got married like my parents, grandparents etc. did.  The definition of marriage is and has always been a union between a man and woman. 

If two women or two men want to have a union, with legal benefits, I am not opposed to that.  JUST DO NOT CALL IT A MARRIAGE!   They are trying to take away my rights to a definition/term that has been heterosexual from the beginning.

What about my rights?  I apparently don't have rights anymore.

November 15, 2008, 5:21 pm CST

Oh Please, Just BE QUIET!!!!!

For the past few years, or so it seems, all we've been hearing from the homosexuals is them screaming for their rights--especially where marriage is concerned.  Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with them having domestic partnerships.  However, when it comes to marriage, there can be no question what marriage is--it is the union of one man and one woman for the purporse of not only love, and companionship but also for the purpose of procreation,  the Lord's word makes that point very very clear!!!!  As for equality, I say wise up, they will never be completely equal--that is a biological IMPOSSIBILITY.  Each Gay,or Lesbian is born attracted to another Gay or Lesbian--while with heterosexuals--well, I don't think I should have to spell this out to anyone.  Once again, if they want to have domestic partnerships, and consider those unions as marriages--FINE.  But please do not bring this into the church.  And as for overturning a law--they may be able to overturn a law set down by people but they shouldn't expect to overturn a law set down by God.  READ YOUR BIBLES EVERYBODY!!!!  To quote a wise pastor "God created Adam and Eve--He did not create Adam and Steve" or for that matter Eve and Evelyn.  Whether people want to believe what God's word says or not--the truth is, God's word is the FINAL WORD ON MARRIAGE OR ON ANYTHING ELSE.  There are those who will probably scream when they read this--and that's okay, that's their privalege--I'm only stating what I have believed to be true for the past several years, and that is the word of God.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last