Message Boards

Topic : 11/21 Same-Sex Marriage?

Number of Replies: 2026
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 14, 2008, 03:19:49 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
It’s a hot-button topic in California and around the country: The passage of Proposition 8, which reinstated a ban on same-sex marriage. Supporters of this initiative voted to preserve the sanctity of marriage solely between a man and a woman. Opponents of Prop 8 say it violates the constitutional rights of the gay community and that America’s laws should treat everyone equally. Since Election Day, numerous protests and rallies have been organized to overturn the law, and the debates are getting heated regarding this highly personal and controversial topic. Dr. Phil’s guests debate their opposing points of view: Discrimination attorney Gloria Allred, president of the Human Rights Campaign Joe Solmonese, San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom, Pastor Jim Garlow, president of National Organization of Marriage Maggie Gallagher and co-campaign manager for the Yes on 8 Campaign Jeff Flint. Whatever your beliefs, you won’t want to miss this show! Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

Do you have a strong opinion on this debate? E-mail Dr. Phil and speak out about the same-sex marriage show!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 15, 2008, 5:33 pm CST

Mind your own business

I am neither for nor against same sex marriage. I am fully for minding your own business. If you are a good person and are in love with someone, no one else should have the right to tell you who you can marry. If you are both over the legal age, and are upstanding citizens what you do in the bedroom is your own business. If the government keeps running our lives both public and private, we might as well burn the constitution and start over..........because according to them, all men (and women) are  created equal as long as you think the way they do. What's next? Taking the voting rights away from women and reverting us back to property. Sad, very sad and I for one hope the people who support the prop 8 wake up before it's too late.

November 15, 2008, 5:45 pm CST

Same Sex Marriage

What goes on behind closed doors may be one thing, however, marriage is sacred and should be maintained as a sacred union between Man and Woman.

("Don't Tell" is the Military Way) Man Power shortages created that problem within our Armed Forces.

If Congress Re-enacts "THE DRAFT" that would end a troop shortage.

My wife and I are Notaries Public and ordained by law to join couples in HOLY MATRIMONY and  will refuse to join in matrimony, or acts there of, of same sex couples should the state ever legalize it.

By personal beliefs and our faith, in this regard.

For those that were supposedly married in those states that held cremonies, then cancelled out, all I can say is frame your certificates as a keepsake.

November 15, 2008, 6:04 pm CST

A suggestion

Quote From: vanissa54

First of all, I will NOT be watching this program Dr. Phil.

The Pastor at First Baptist Church in Dallas, TX preached a wonderful sermon last Sunday and will continue the sermon topic tomorrow; Homosexuality is a sin.  These same sex couples are just flaunting their sin in the faces of America.  The constitution doesn't protect their rights to sin anymore than it gives someone permission to steal and to murder.  The two sermons are available from the church.  About 100 protesters picketed the church last Sunday and they vow to return tomorrow.  The Pastor did a fantastic job presenting the word of God on this subject yet the homosexuals and even their parents and children were ugly about how they felt about the word of God telling THEM that they were wrong.

I have persons in my extended family that live the homosexual lifestyle, I love them dearly, but , I will never say that what they are doing is right, I will never help pass laws that make it easier for them to live in sin.

Dr. Phil, remember to let your light shine FOR Jesus Christ.

Perhaps you would be wiser to read your Bible and listen to the compassionate words of Jesus than take the advice of some preacher.  Let Jesus light shine for you !

November 15, 2008, 6:40 pm CST

11/21 Same-Sex Marriage?

Quote From: zensible1

As hetero as I am, I don't have a problem with same-sex marriages. If two PEOPLE are in love with each other and willing to commit to be with each other solely and build a life together, a partnership and grow old together, then that, to me, is the definition of marriage. The gender of the partners is irrelevant.

Ironically, I've witnessed my gay couple friends having longer, more harmonious "marriages" than of my straight married friends. That's not to support running out, switching teams and partnering up with your same sex. It's just an observation that partnership/couplehood knows no sexual orientation, and possibly maybe those faced with inherent judgments and uphill climbs to be together have more of the stick-to-it-tiveness that others in a societally accepted marriage don't.

I am in favor of  keeping the holy sacrements of marriage between one woman and one man.

I have many gay friends and yes, some are more dedicated and faithful than man/woman couples. However same sex couples should be content to have their private "relationship" or "unions" and not expect to have all of the legal benefits of man/woman unions. MARRIAGE is sacred. Everywhere in the bible it condems "the union of same sex partners".

And I agree with some of the others that forcing children as young as 5 to learn of SAME SEX relationships before they even know what the "birds and the bees" of male/female unions are is WRONG.

November 15, 2008, 6:53 pm CST

Con tinuing to pray

The Pastor at First Baptist Church in Dallas, TX preached a wonderful sermon last Sunday and will continue the sermon topic tomorrow; Homosexuality is a sin.  These same sex couples are just flaunting their sin in the faces of America.  The constitution doesn't protect their rights to sin anymore than it gives someone permission to steal and to murder.  The two sermons are available from the church.  About 100 protesters picketed the church last Sunday and they vow to return tomorrow.  The Pastor did a fantastic job presenting the word of God on this subject yet the homosexuals and even their parents and children were ugly about how they felt about the word of God telling THEM that they were wrong.

I have persons in my extended family that live the homosexual lifestyle, I love them dearly, but , I will never say that what they are doing is right, I will never help pass laws that make it easier for them to live in sin.

I am glad that this is going to be talked about on the show Dr. Phil.  My concern however is that it may not be addressed the way that it needs to be addressed.

The Bible is very clear on what it says about homosexuality which is the written Word of God and the consequences of that kind of lifestyle.  Not only homosexuals but also those that live promiscious lives.

We are to hate the sin and love the sinner.  We have taken God out of almost everything it seems and not only is the US falling apart because of it but so are other countries.  I know people that have either been in this lifestyle or are in this lifestyle.  Do I still love them? Absolutely, but I can't condone their choice when it totally goes against what God's Word says.  It was God that created Adam & Eve and if it weren't for His grace and mercy none of us would be here.  Guidlines are put there to protect us not to harm us.  He is only wants good for His Creation, but the Lord also created us with a free will and we are seeing that free will on display.

I pray that the sanctity of marriage is protected or it will not be good, because it will not be stopped there.  It will continue to filter down to more and more things in what is acceptable and there will be more and more compromise.

I will be praying for you Dr. Phil as you do this show on Friday.

November 15, 2008, 7:30 pm CST

Gay marriage

I don't know why people are making such a  big deal about it. So what !! They want to get married and have the same rights as straight couples. They want to be able to  have the same benefits available to their spouses and children like straight families have. They have every right to and throwing the bible at there face doesn't make you a good example of what religion or our country stands for.  Your not god and have no right to judge another.  I'm pretty sure it states that in the bible! What do you know about the lifestyles of homosexuals , HUH? Are you one? Did you grow up in one? Or are you just a small minded self centered human with nothing better to do then tell other people how to live there life because your life is so far from statues? You know nothing and should stick to what you know best before opening your mouth on subjects you know squat about. When you assume thing you are making an ass out of you and me and everyone around you. Another thing.  I'm tired of hearing about how gay families shouldn't be able to raise, foster or adopt children because it will damage the child. How the hell do you know that? I was raised by two women. YES!!!! Two wonderful women and I grew up healthy, educated and dear lord straight!  If you would do actual research you would find that children have  been molested, raped and even killed by non homosexual househould. I bet you knew that too didn't you? Keep your religious remarks and opinions about other people to yourself.  Get the facts before opening your trap!

November 15, 2008, 10:09 pm CST

Constitutional Rights Not Being Violated

I do not believe the constitutional rights of gays are being violated by not allowing them to marry.  To get married one has to qualify in a number of areas: (1) age requirement must be met, (2) cannot already be married to someone else,  (3) cannot marry your mother, father, sister, brother, son, daughter or very close relative etc.,  (4) can only marry someone of opposite sex, a relationship that has the potential for bearing children,  (5) has to be voluntary etc.  Other types of relationships do not meet the requirements and therefore do not constitute a marriage...such as same sex relationships.  That does not stop them from going in to a same-sex civil union...live together etc.  THE REQUIREMENTS FOR MARRIAGE ARE THE SAME FOR ALL  AMERICANS...NOT JUST ONE SEGMENT OF THE POPULATION (GAY PEOPLE).  There are not different rules for homosexuals...no, the requirements apply to gay, straight, those whose religion allows polygamy etc. For those who are falsely claiming that the rights of gays are being violated...are they prepared to say that the rights of minors, those who want to have more than one spouse or want to marry a relative (let's say your mother) are also being discriminated against and their constitutional right to marriage has been wrongly denied!!  Can you now see how this line of thinking is all wrong.  Two men or two woman do not a marriage make...they make another type of relationship...and that is fine if they choose it for themselves.   

November 15, 2008, 10:32 pm CST

It's WRONG!

The Bible says homosexuality is wrong, thus God and Jesus say it's wrong.  They are children of God, we can love the sinner but not the sin.  Marriage was ordained of God for man and woman only!  I believe that gays can have civil unions and the legal services they want - but NOT marriage and NOT children.  They want their "rights".  I believe some of them choose the lifestyle - even if they are born with it they should try to overcome it.  It was a weakness they were born with.  It is not a "right" to be married.  They are trying to say that their rights are being taken away, just as with blacks in the past or women in the past.  It's NOT the same thing.  The voters have voted and the majority ruled.  They should take their loss and go on.  They should not protest violently at churches and temples.  That's just wrong!  We don't need to be "tolerant" or accept their lifestyle. It's wrong and nothing they say can persuade me.  I am a Christian and an active member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  We love them, just not their lifestyle.

November 15, 2008, 10:36 pm CST

11/21 Same-Sex Marriage?

Quote From: maryheloise46

For the past few years, or so it seems, all we've been hearing from the homosexuals is them screaming for their rights--especially where marriage is concerned.  Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with them having domestic partnerships.  However, when it comes to marriage, there can be no question what marriage is--it is the union of one man and one woman for the purporse of not only love, and companionship but also for the purpose of procreation,  the Lord's word makes that point very very clear!!!!  As for equality, I say wise up, they will never be completely equal--that is a biological IMPOSSIBILITY.  Each Gay,or Lesbian is born attracted to another Gay or Lesbian--while with heterosexuals--well, I don't think I should have to spell this out to anyone.  Once again, if they want to have domestic partnerships, and consider those unions as marriages--FINE.  But please do not bring this into the church.  And as for overturning a law--they may be able to overturn a law set down by people but they shouldn't expect to overturn a law set down by God.  READ YOUR BIBLES EVERYBODY!!!!  To quote a wise pastor "God created Adam and Eve--He did not create Adam and Steve" or for that matter Eve and Evelyn.  Whether people want to believe what God's word says or not--the truth is, God's word is the FINAL WORD ON MARRIAGE OR ON ANYTHING ELSE.  There are those who will probably scream when they read this--and that's okay, that's their privalege--I'm only stating what I have believed to be true for the past several years, and that is the word of God.

I agree with you.  They say not to judge as the bible says.  The bible also says homosexuality is wrong.  We are not judging.  We are just stating what God has revealed. 

November 15, 2008, 10:41 pm CST

11/21 Same-Sex Marriage?

Quote From: autismmom00

About Prop 8:  I am a LDS member, although inactive, and I am HIGHLY embarrassed that the LDS church has pretty much funded Prop 8.

Sixty or so years ago, interracial relationships, let alone marriages were not just damned, but were ILLEGAL.  We saw the light, saying colour and race has nothing to do with love.  Now, I know several interracial relationships.  These decent people have to try twice as hard to be just as accepted due to some stuffed shirts or people who seem not to have enough of their own troubles at home that they have to go mind everyone else's business.

It is illegal to discriminate against a job applicant due to race, creed, origin, disability, or sexual orientation.  So, do you mean to tell me that a person applying for a burger flipper has more right than two responsible people in love and want to make it official? Great, so we don't discriminate against the burger flipper, but we do against someone seeking a marriage license?  Gee, how nice for the people at the fast food chain.  With teen pregnancy on the rise, education on the decline and family values and respect completely gone or close to it, we are worried about same sex marriage? 

Last I looked, gays (as well as non-gays) work, pay taxes, they laugh, they cry, they actually have brains and opinions.  They also vote.  There are some awesome gay people, some of them I happen to have the pleasure to know.  Some, I see on TV, such as Ellen DeGeneres.  She may be gay (and open about it) but if you judge her solely on her orientation, you miss so much. 

America was built on freedom.  Freedom from prosecution and persecution against worshipping the way they want, loving the way they want.  How hypocritial of us to say everyone has equal rights as long as we like what you do with a loving, consenting partner, behind closed doors, in their own homes. 

Perhaps if we went after corrupt politicans, illegal aliens, and supported education, and help for families who are trying to stay above the poverty line and in their homes as we go after gays who have broken no laws, perhaps we as a country could actually advance mentally, emotionally, as well as technologically into the 21st century. 

Since you're inactive LDS then why even state you are LDS.  I'm active LDS and you don't know the facts.  The LDS church DID NOT fund Prop 8.  The Catholic church and others did.  LDS only contributed around $2,000.  That's it.  Even if every LDS in California voted against it - it still would have passed.  There is NO excuse for the violence and protesting at the temples.  None at all.  As for gays, we love them, just not the sin.  It is a sin!  If it's o.k. for gays to marry, then why not men and children or men and beast - let's just get all perverse!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last