Message Boards

Topic : 11/21 Same-Sex Marriage?

Number of Replies: 2026
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 14, 2008, 03:19:49 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
It’s a hot-button topic in California and around the country: The passage of Proposition 8, which reinstated a ban on same-sex marriage. Supporters of this initiative voted to preserve the sanctity of marriage solely between a man and a woman. Opponents of Prop 8 say it violates the constitutional rights of the gay community and that America’s laws should treat everyone equally. Since Election Day, numerous protests and rallies have been organized to overturn the law, and the debates are getting heated regarding this highly personal and controversial topic. Dr. Phil’s guests debate their opposing points of view: Discrimination attorney Gloria Allred, president of the Human Rights Campaign Joe Solmonese, San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom, Pastor Jim Garlow, president of National Organization of Marriage Maggie Gallagher and co-campaign manager for the Yes on 8 Campaign Jeff Flint. Whatever your beliefs, you won’t want to miss this show! Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

Do you have a strong opinion on this debate? E-mail Dr. Phil and speak out about the same-sex marriage show!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 15, 2008, 10:28 am CST

NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS

What gets to me about this whole matter is the same thing that annoys the hell out of me with the celebrity so-called news.  It's none of anyone else's business who is in relationship with whom.  Only the people involved in the relationship need be concerned.  

You mind your own business and stay out of their's and mine: What harm or threat is it to strangers who anyone chooses to havea  relationship with?  None is the correct answer.  It is the individual's right under the USA Constitution to seek happiness and if that means being in relationship with a man, or a woman or neither then that right must be upheld across the board.

Those you who are spending all this time discussing and watching other people's business means you're not minding your own; and, I'll bet my life's savings your relationships are in the sewer.  Your sticking your nose where it doesn't belong comes down to you're afraid to look at your selves in the bright light of truth.

MInd your own business is how you start living a wholesome, happy life.

November 15, 2008, 10:38 am CST

11/21 Same-Sex Marriage?

Quote From: vanissa54

First of all, I will NOT be watching this program Dr. Phil.

The Pastor at First Baptist Church in Dallas, TX preached a wonderful sermon last Sunday and will continue the sermon topic tomorrow; Homosexuality is a sin.  These same sex couples are just flaunting their sin in the faces of America.  The constitution doesn't protect their rights to sin anymore than it gives someone permission to steal and to murder.  The two sermons are available from the church.  About 100 protesters picketed the church last Sunday and they vow to return tomorrow.  The Pastor did a fantastic job presenting the word of God on this subject yet the homosexuals and even their parents and children were ugly about how they felt about the word of God telling THEM that they were wrong.

I have persons in my extended family that live the homosexual lifestyle, I love them dearly, but , I will never say that what they are doing is right, I will never help pass laws that make it easier for them to live in sin.

Dr. Phil, remember to let your light shine FOR Jesus Christ.

www.sojo.net

This is what is not understood. Laws will not bring people closer to Jesus.

It may make your world more comfortable, but will not bring me or anyone

else to a relationship with Jesus Crist.

November 15, 2008, 10:48 am CST

Prop8 shall be overturned!!!

Dr. Phil
  First I want to say THANK YOU, for bringing this issue to your show.  If possible please show the clip from MSNBC's Countdown with Keith Olbermann's  commentary "Gay Marriage is a question of Love".  This segment aired on Monday November 10th.  Everyone should view this clip no matter what their personal position is.  It is a highly enlightened and educated point that anyone that believes in true justice and freedom in this country should see.  The URL is:  www.msnbc.nbc.com/id/27650743/
   It is my hope & prayer that everyone no matter what side of this issue they are on, to for 6 minutes shelve the feelings and view this clip with open minds to educate them self.  Then after viewing this clip if they are mature enough to educate themselves more, they should sit down a view the documentary movie out on DVD called:  "For the Bible Tells me So".  (Sold on Ebay and Amazon.com)  As always, there will continue to be the "uneducated" and "close minded" that will never look to do what is right.  THIS is the reason that we have states and a federal supreme court system.  So that true justice can be done that the mass majority may not take the time to educated themselves about, or be swayed by prejudice or religious persecution.     In closing I want to say that it amazes me that in this day and age that we in this country, that pride ourselves in freedom and justice, can still continue to be "SELECTIVE" to who we want to have freedoms and justice for.  Isn't our entire country founded on "FREEDOM AND JUSTICE FOR ALL".  Seems to me I remember reading that in our constitution when I went to school.  Perhaps certain religious groups changed that when I wasn't looking.

Sincere Blessing on ALL GOD"S people.
David K. Gingras

November 15, 2008, 10:49 am CST

Right to vote

I really don't care what peoples preferences are, what I care about is the right to vote.  The people of CA have spoken, right, wrong or indifferent.  Whoopi Goldberg was wrong to say the popular vote can be "wrong" . It is peoples choice.  It is sad when something is voted and it can be overturned.  This is why some citizens do not vote, they say "it doesn't matter anyway".   The people have spoken, let it be.

November 15, 2008, 11:05 am CST

Everyone has rights

Whenever we take Rights from the few we take them from ourselves. 
When women were denied the right to vote  men were denied options and votes and restricted those able and willing to serve.
My mother had to fight for a college education and to become a doctor in 1916.  She had to march for the right to vote and was arrested for daring to tell her patients about birth-control.
When schools were divided by Race everyone was denied a good education by the division of funds available . Think of all the great ideas and things we have because Blacks and Gays and Women have given them to us.  Do we care that our dress was designed by a gay man?, That it was a Black Scientist who gave us all the things made from the peanut and saved the South?
If we deny the right to marry or adopt children to any group we begin the slippery slope of having one or more Rights denied to us.  Nazi Germany stands as a living example of that slope..

I am reminded of the words of a Lutheran Pastor, Martin Niemoller, "When the Nazis came for the Communists, I didn't speak for I was not a Communist;  When they came for the Social Democrats, I didn't speak for I was not a Social Democrat;
When they came for the  Trade Unionists, I said nothing, for I was not a Trade Unionist;
When they came for the Jews I again said nothing for I was not a Jew;
Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out."

The arguments I hear today about Gays are the ones I heard about Blacks as we fought to pass the Civil Rights Laws of 1964.

Ask yourself if what the neighbors do really affect you.  Are you or your family affected because the couple next door are sleeping with people they aren't married too?  And most importantly are you or members of your family doing things that others do not agree with?  Are you or your daughter the mother of a child born out-side marriage?  Do you or others go to bars and drink or dance?  Are you or others married or dating a person not of your Race?  When we ask ourselves these questions we begin to see how the disapproval of others could begin the denial of our rights.

I am a Jew, does that affect my Christian and Muslim friends and family members? No. We have a Gay Son which doesn't impact any one but him and his partner.  Will we deny him the right to be a builder or soldier or doctor  because we don't approve of his lifestyle?  NO. As my Marine husband says he doesn't care who the guy next to him sleeps with, so long as that Marine can shoot and has his back.

Prop 8 is just the beginning of a very slippery slope.

November 15, 2008, 11:05 am CST

Let your light shine for Jesus Christ???

Quote From: ramair

Dr Phil's viewpoint of homosexuality isn't exactly biblical. Every time homosexuality has come up on any of his shows, he's said they're born that way, hard-wired. Maybe his "light" hasn't been lit yet.
Seems to me that certain religions miss the entire point that was Jesus most basic principle.   To love thy neighbor regardless of their sins.  We are "ALL" God's children!!!!   We where "ALL" made in his image!!!  I will stand before him come judgment day with an open mind, open heart, and be judged by ONLY him.   I dread to see those that make judgments here in this life, to see how they will be judged come their judgment day for their persecution of others.

David Gingras

November 15, 2008, 11:09 am CST

End Discrimination

One needs only to view the Keith Olbermanns commentary on Prop 8 to realize that the anti-same-sex-marriage bunch are stepping on the rights of all people.  Get the church out of it.  If they have so much money to spend on advertising, TAX them.  They should lose their tax exempt status.  Not so long ago whites were not permitted to marry blacks.  Before that, blacks could not even marry blacks as "property" (slaves) had no rights at all.  You want to do something about the sanctity of marriage?  End Divorce!  All people want to love and be loved.  What does it matter to anyone who one loves?  I am a 68 year old straight widow but I see doom and gloom for this country when the churches meddle in the lives of citizens.  This country was settled with the idea that we would have religious freedom and that the church should be separate from the state.  That does NOT give the right for religious groups to meddle in the affairs of private citizens.  End discrimination on all fronts.  It is the Christian thing to do!

November 15, 2008, 11:13 am CST

11/21 Same-Sex Marriage?

Quote From: alycam26

What gets to me about this whole matter is the same thing that annoys the hell out of me with the celebrity so-called news.  It's none of anyone else's business who is in relationship with whom.  Only the people involved in the relationship need be concerned.  

You mind your own business and stay out of their's and mine: What harm or threat is it to strangers who anyone chooses to havea  relationship with?  None is the correct answer.  It is the individual's right under the USA Constitution to seek happiness and if that means being in relationship with a man, or a woman or neither then that right must be upheld across the board.

Those you who are spending all this time discussing and watching other people's business means you're not minding your own; and, I'll bet my life's savings your relationships are in the sewer.  Your sticking your nose where it doesn't belong comes down to you're afraid to look at your selves in the bright light of truth.

MInd your own business is how you start living a wholesome, happy life.

November 15, 2008, 11:15 am CST

11/21 Same-Sex Marriage?

marriage is between a man and a woman . god  says so in his word . satan trying to blind people wake up

November 15, 2008, 11:17 am CST

Enlightened Voters?

Quote From: dsmitche

I really don't care what peoples preferences are, what I care about is the right to vote.  The people of CA have spoken, right, wrong or indifferent.  Whoopi Goldberg was wrong to say the popular vote can be "wrong" . It is peoples choice.  It is sad when something is voted and it can be overturned.  This is why some citizens do not vote, they say "it doesn't matter anyway".   The people have spoken, let it be.

Yes, the right to vote is precious and should be protected for all citizens HOWEVER I think the way the proposition was worded caused considerable confusion.  The advertising by the Mormon Church contained lies up the ying-yang.  I remind those pious church going people (mainly the blacks who were unduly influenced) that a lot of us whites fought like hell for THEIR rights to not have to ride in the back of the bus.  I remember those years very well and knocked on hundreds of doors to help gain equal rights for my fellow citizens of color.  I am white, straight and 68 yrs old.  This country seems to want to gain three steps and then fall two steps behind because of "christian" influences.  We cannot let that happen!  One only needs to look at the current senate races to know that even only one vote counts!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last