Message Boards

Topic : 11/24 Family Cult

Number of Replies: 265
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, November 20, 2008, 01:49:48 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil delves into a tragic story that spanned several decades, shattered lives and left one person behind bars. Fourteen children were held captive by a man who called himself The Messiah … a man who was also their father. Jeanne says she was raised in this environment, which the authorities called cult-like, and that she and her siblings were starved, beaten and had no schooling. In a tear-jerking revelation, Jeanne tells Dr. Phil that she was forced to perform unthinkable sexual acts with her own father, beginning when she was just 5 years old and ending when she was 27. Jeanne may be a victim of horrible cruelty, but her sisters, Miriam and Sarah, say they can’t forgive her for the pain she caused them. Find out why these siblings are estranged, and why Sarah says she’s nervous just sitting next to Jeanne on Dr. Phil’s stage. It’s been 20 years since Jeanne’s father was arrested, but she and her family say the effects of abuse still linger. Can these siblings ever get closure on their horrific past? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 23, 2008, 3:47 pm CST

Thats not the book !!!!!!

Quote From: alliegirl

You can read about a cult that happened in Central Ontario, Canada.  There is a book, entitled Savage Messiah and a movie about this abusive cult.  If I remember correctly this man wanted to be known as Moses however you can check it out at:  http://www.rickross.com/reference/general/general452.htmlhttp
The cult leader's name Roch Teriault and he has been in prison for many years. I don't know that this is the cult featured on Dr Phil's show however.
Guys the book is EVIL WEB by Mary Rich !!!!!    Look it up :)

November 23, 2008, 3:49 pm CST

Evil Web is the book

Evil Web by Mary Rich is the book. I just finished reading it!          The Larringa family has a horrible story to tell tomorrow according to the book.

November 23, 2008, 4:33 pm CST

11/24 Family Cult

Quote From: alycam26

This kind of thing has been going on in secrecy for centuries: The leading edge research shows how these acts of shame have been passed down generation by generation, along with many other shame-based child-rearing techniques.

The only way to rid our socieites of this is to expose it all.  I applaud the television shows for continuing to do so, even though it can get tiring for some.  We are all different and each of us are willing to hear about these stories and related them to ourselves at different times, so the struggle is still new to many.  And, still being hard fought by many others.

This is not an easy thing to overcome within one's self. The damaging change that is done by primary caregivers shameful acts take a great deal of committment to the healing process - and, that's what it is, A PROCESS and it requires a breath-by-breath, moment-by-moment, day-by-day consciousness.

Give people the space and support to the process, let go of your judgements of them not working hard or fast enough.  With your support they will come to a place of healing to create better lives for themselves and the next generation.

I totally agree with you....so many people are somewhat naive to issues (not talking about anyone specifically in here). It is almost like hear no evil....see no evil. I am so thankful that all types of various issues are now exposed in the open because if we do not know how can we look for the signs to know that something is not right somewhere. Many in all types of situations do not knw how to reach out for help or just are too scared. The saddest part of all is that look how many lives are destroyed and they are never the same.

In this case it is so sad that the sisters are estranged.....it would seem like they would be close since they all went through the experience.

I look forward to hearing the whole story on monday.

November 23, 2008, 10:47 pm CST

Whether you like it or not!

Quote From: gluvsu

Whether you like the subject or not its out there and its good that Dr Phil is having them on his show. If it were my family going through this I would be begging for them to get this opportunity to see Dr Phil and Robin.

I totally agree with you on this.  It's difficult to believe, but this is something you don't hear about very much.  People try to keep it "hush-hush," and hope that nobody finds out about their plight.  I hope that Dr. Phil can help this family so they can get on with their lives. 

Babs60 

November 24, 2008, 5:00 am CST

FAMILY HORRORS

I have just read the online transcript from this show and it moved me to tears. It is so painful just to read about what these people suffered at their own fathers hands. I am so very glad to know that he has been imprisoned for over 100 years. I was an only child and suffered violence and emotional abuse from a very cruel mother. The damage that is done to your soul from this type of treatment is lifelong. The nightmares recur, the pain in your heart is eternal. I have learned that the only escape from it is to be brave and trust good people around you. I was not lucky enough to have any professional counselling but I am convinced this is beneficial. To this family I would say get professional guidance, learn to trust good people and be brave. I have learned to love and be loved in return. I still manage my pain but I am happy now and I contribute to the lives of the people around me positively. I am compassionate and strong from my own experiences. GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

November 24, 2008, 6:49 am CST

You are Not ALONE

I am saddened at the fact that the younger siblings blamed their older sister for the abuse. I understand their angry and disgust.

Yes, what dr. phil said about some abused children goes on to become abusers themselves is true. However, this woman was in an extremely abusive situation herself, and i bet, if she would tell it, her father threatened her into abusing the younger ones for him.

I know how it goes. I was a victim of childhood sexual abuse for 15 years. My abuser was  a sibiling...who was 5 years older than I was. I didn't deserve what I got from him.....however, I realize that its really horrifying to live through it once...much less to continue having flashbacks of the abuse.

For me, it got to where I had to cope with the abuse the best way I know how. Does it affect my life now? You bet. I did forgive myself first and foremost....and then I did forgive him. But it has taken me 18 years worth of therapy to get to this point.

Emotional pain is still with me and sometimes, especially around the holidays is really horrible for me still yet to this day.

I hope and pray that these siblings can heal and try to form a better relationship with each other.

God bless all of the people who have had to endure abuse (physical, sexual, mental, emotional...) because one of these days, the abuser will have to stand before God and pay for his or her transgressions.

Good luck.

November 24, 2008, 8:00 am CST

MY HEART IS COMPLETELY BREAKING FOR THESE GIRLS....

I can't even begin to say how SORRYYYYY i am for this MONSTER of a man (devil), that they called their "FATHER".  He was noooo father to them!!!  This family should NEVER have had to go through what they experienced!!!  Never should a child be subjected to such evil!  I hear Jeanne saying that she could not be around her sisters because they reminded her of what she did to them.  She was cold to them, because her father was cold to her.  You live what you know or experience.  Remember, she's the one that experienced the sexual abuse, so that the other sisters and brother did not have to.  I'm sooooo, soooo very sorry for the life you've all had.  This is why I feel Mom's across America need to come together and organize, so that we get these horrible pedophiles off of OUR streets.  And awayyyy from our children!!!  There is strength in numbers, and a coalition of Mom's could work to rid our society of such scum of the earth.  Jeanne and her sisters and brothers, need to forgive and hug each other infinitely...  They need that to repair the damage done to them.  God bless them, keep them safe, and allow God to guide them to lightness in their lives, and not darkness from their past.  Amen.  So tragic, but with faith...there can be hope for a new day for this family.   Take good care to all of you,  Anne from MI  :(

November 24, 2008, 8:14 am CST

sorry

i know what you are going through. the same thing happened to me as a child only 8yrs old until i was 15 yrs old im 44 now it still haunts me everyday of my life . difference is my mom. of 6 girls including me let the sexual abuse go on for years. the man that sexually assaulted me was my stepfather. he got a 20 year sentence but only served 7 years. i myself didnt take him to court my sister did . i now regret not going to court . i dont have a close releationship with my mom because of this. so hun i pray that you unlike me can go on with your life without blaming yourself. happy holidays .and good luck. also god bless you and your family.

November 24, 2008, 8:16 am CST

Family cult

My heart goes out to this family.  Please Dr. Phil get them the help they so desperately need.  Their experience is just another reason why the laws for crimes against children must be improved.  Please tell them that they are in my prayers.  Jean

November 24, 2008, 8:22 am CST

Such a horrific sad show

Dr. Phil my heart is so torn into pieces for this family.... So much of their lives have been torn from each

one of them, I could not stop my own tears. Everyone of them are such beautiful people...

I would like to see each one of them put under hypnosis, erasing all the bad...even taking each one of them and letting them be the small children they were, but replacing all the bad with closeness, playfullness and children who are so loving and caring and sharing.... put pleasant memories in each of them....... can't this be done Dr. Phil ? 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last