Message Boards

Topic : 11/24 Family Cult

Number of Replies: 265
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, November 20, 2008, 01:49:48 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil delves into a tragic story that spanned several decades, shattered lives and left one person behind bars. Fourteen children were held captive by a man who called himself The Messiah … a man who was also their father. Jeanne says she was raised in this environment, which the authorities called cult-like, and that she and her siblings were starved, beaten and had no schooling. In a tear-jerking revelation, Jeanne tells Dr. Phil that she was forced to perform unthinkable sexual acts with her own father, beginning when she was just 5 years old and ending when she was 27. Jeanne may be a victim of horrible cruelty, but her sisters, Miriam and Sarah, say they can’t forgive her for the pain she caused them. Find out why these siblings are estranged, and why Sarah says she’s nervous just sitting next to Jeanne on Dr. Phil’s stage. It’s been 20 years since Jeanne’s father was arrested, but she and her family say the effects of abuse still linger. Can these siblings ever get closure on their horrific past? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 24, 2008, 1:50 pm CST

God Help Us

I have cried more during this one show than any other Dr. Phil show ever.  I don't see how a court can allow a man to live who inflicted this  much pain on  so many.  There are no words except to say, my heart breaks for each of you. I only hope that these sisters can find one crumb of whatever their brother has been able to find. The one thing they need is peace, i pray they find it.

November 24, 2008, 1:51 pm CST

Enough

I think there was too much wailing on this show today.  Yes it is a horrible experience, but to listen to these women wail in their pain and sorrow went on way too long on the show!  It is almost as if they were exploited for the ratings or advertisers of the show.  Yes they need help and yes they need healing and forgiveness for each other, but is it really necessary to put all this on television to this degree to make the point?  

November 24, 2008, 1:51 pm CST

11/24 Family Cult

Quote From: anne124

I can't even begin to say how SORRYYYYY i am for this MONSTER of a man (devil), that they called their "FATHER".  He was noooo father to them!!!  This family should NEVER have had to go through what they experienced!!!  Never should a child be subjected to such evil!  I hear Jeanne saying that she could not be around her sisters because they reminded her of what she did to them.  She was cold to them, because her father was cold to her.  You live what you know or experience.  Remember, she's the one that experienced the sexual abuse, so that the other sisters and brother did not have to.  I'm sooooo, soooo very sorry for the life you've all had.  This is why I feel Mom's across America need to come together and organize, so that we get these horrible pedophiles off of OUR streets.  And awayyyy from our children!!!  There is strength in numbers, and a coalition of Mom's could work to rid our society of such scum of the earth.  Jeanne and her sisters and brothers, need to forgive and hug each other infinitely...  They need that to repair the damage done to them.  God bless them, keep them safe, and allow God to guide them to lightness in their lives, and not darkness from their past.  Amen.  So tragic, but with faith...there can be hope for a new day for this family.   Take good care to all of you,  Anne from MI  :(

I fully agree with you. This story was so heart wrenching, words can't even begin to describe. It was all a true story that happened many, many decades ago. As a matter of fact, a book was written about it back in 1996, & it's called "Evil Web: A True Story of Cult Abuse and Courage", by Mary Rich.

What I have to say about this entire situation, is that, none of this was Jeanne's fault. It's their father who's to blame. What they need to do is to find closure within themselves, & both Miriam & Sarah shouldn't be blaming Jeanne for this at all. If their father haven't forced Jeanne to do this to her sisters, or if he was in jail before those incidents happened, then this would have been a whole another story. After all, Jeanne had to suffer being sexually molested by her father, to protect her siblings from being done the same way that is being done to her, & that Jeanne was forced, by her father, to treat her siblings horribly. What Miriam & Sarah need to do is to forgive her, for their own sake. They shouldn't blame her, they should blame their father. Nathan forgave her, & realized who the real abuser is. I know it's hard for Miriam & Sarah, but they just have to forgive! As far as I know, all of the siblings involved including Jeanne have my sympathy, not that pedophile man that's sitting in bars. If you think otherwise, & think that Jeanne is to blame for all of this, then you're crazy! My heart goes out to the entire family that have to suffer the abuse at the hands of their self-serving, manipulative father, & I hope that he suffers in prison for the rest of his miserable life. God definitely knows what happened, & knows that he is the real abuser throughout all this, & you can bet that he will confront him when his time comes to face him. May God bless them all, & I hope that these relationships between these siblings can be repaired.

November 24, 2008, 1:54 pm CST

I feel your pain....

Quote From: dkoop06

I have never thought of my childhood as being in a cult, but after this show, i am wondering. My father was the pastor of the only church in our tiny Mennonite community. He beat, and sexually abused me. He never explained as to why or anything. My mom would sometimes say, its ok, it will be ok. It has destroyed my marriage, and now i am in another relationship, and I find it very difficult to trust. I am so happy that my children are grown now. I know people wondered why I never left my daughter at my parents house alone. I couldn't do it. I am now 46 and it still effects me.

I was also abused and all my relationships are messed up. I have nieces that are left alone with my former abusers and I cant understand why they would do that.....they new it happened to me.....

But I am proud of you for protecting your children. They should know why you kept them away from Grandpa.

We need to stop the pain.....Be Proud of what YOU did.

November 24, 2008, 2:07 pm CST

11/24 Family Cult

What I most appreciated in Jeanne, Miriam, Sarah, and their brother was their genuineness. Unlike some past guests whose "emotions" seemed like bad acting, I think every emotion they expressed was real and heartfelt.

November 24, 2008, 2:08 pm CST

Mother

Can anyone tell me where was their biological mother and also I missed how long he is in prison for.

November 24, 2008, 2:14 pm CST

11/24 Family Cult

Quote From: sue9966

I think there was too much wailing on this show today.  Yes it is a horrible experience, but to listen to these women wail in their pain and sorrow went on way too long on the show!  It is almost as if they were exploited for the ratings or advertisers of the show.  Yes they need help and yes they need healing and forgiveness for each other, but is it really necessary to put all this on television to this degree to make the point?  

It is almost as if they were exploited for the ratings or advertisers of the show. 

I seriously doubt that.

Is it really necessary to put all this on television to this degree to make the point?  

Yes. It's okay for them to express emotion of what they've been through. Things like this are real, & can devaste them for life.

November 24, 2008, 2:15 pm CST

11/24 Family Cult

Quote From: sue9966

At least these sisters' wailing was real. About things that really happened to them. Unlike one of last season's guests whose histrionics seemed more like bad acting than genuine, heartfelt emotion.

November 24, 2008, 2:16 pm CST

11/24 Family Cult

Quote From: ramair

What I most appreciated in Jeanne, Miriam, Sarah, and their brother was their genuineness. Unlike some past guests whose "emotions" seemed like bad acting, I think every emotion they expressed was real and heartfelt.
Fully agree with you, ramair. It's been such a painful experience. Someday, their broken hearts will be repaired & to mend.

November 24, 2008, 2:17 pm CST

11/24 Family Cult

Quote From: mallorysharon

Can anyone tell me where was their biological mother and also I missed how long he is in prison for.
He's in prison for 180 years.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last