Message Boards

Topic : 11/24 Family Cult

Number of Replies: 265
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, November 20, 2008, 01:49:48 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil delves into a tragic story that spanned several decades, shattered lives and left one person behind bars. Fourteen children were held captive by a man who called himself The Messiah … a man who was also their father. Jeanne says she was raised in this environment, which the authorities called cult-like, and that she and her siblings were starved, beaten and had no schooling. In a tear-jerking revelation, Jeanne tells Dr. Phil that she was forced to perform unthinkable sexual acts with her own father, beginning when she was just 5 years old and ending when she was 27. Jeanne may be a victim of horrible cruelty, but her sisters, Miriam and Sarah, say they can’t forgive her for the pain she caused them. Find out why these siblings are estranged, and why Sarah says she’s nervous just sitting next to Jeanne on Dr. Phil’s stage. It’s been 20 years since Jeanne’s father was arrested, but she and her family say the effects of abuse still linger. Can these siblings ever get closure on their horrific past? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 21, 2008, 4:28 pm CST

Doctor Phil Show.

Cult Doctor Family Phil/Robin. What another story about Cult Family? Are you kidding me? What is going-

on here? See you on Monday November 24th, 2008. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.----------------------

November 22, 2008, 10:16 am CST

whether you like it or not

Whether you like the subject or not its out there and its good that Dr Phil is having them on his show. If it were my family going through this I would be begging for them to get this opportunity to see Dr Phil and Robin.

November 22, 2008, 10:17 am CST

11/24 Family Cult

Does anyone have the link to this story? It must have happened decades ago, as it said. I tried to search for it using google, & I came up with no such luck. Thanks!

November 22, 2008, 12:01 pm CST

Why is this still so unbelieveable?

It is so frustrating to me how that this world is still so closed minded about cult abuse. It happens.....I know it does because I have many friends who are survivors of this kind of abuse. Any abuse is horrendous and so very wrong. Whether it be to children or to the elderly, this kind of abuse does happen.

I have spent many years learning all I can on this topic because my best friend is a multigenerational cult survivor. The memories that are coming to her are ones that are difficult for them to face but fortunately they have a therapist who has been dealing with cult survivors for over 20 years. This therapist gets it....and has for a very long time.

Yes, the  things that are being remembered seem impossible to fatho. Especially to those who had childhoods of love and nurturing from everyone around them but I'm here to tell you that cult abuse is  rampant in this country and many other countries as well and it does exist.

It is being talked about more now than ever but that doesn't mean people believe. I don't want to believe this sort of thing can happen either but it does.

You can always go to google.com and type in cult abuse or satanic ritual abuse and the overwhelm of information you will find will astound you. Hopefully help you will all see that yes, this does happen and continues to happen even in this day and time.

The stories seem out of this world and even to a survivor it  seems to crazy to be real but I'm here to tell you that if we don't begin to open our eyes and our hearts to these survivors,  we will continue to be in a disbelieveing place that is not going to help anyone, it will only hinder and hurt those who have lived a very real life of continual daily abuse in sadistic ways that no one wants to acknowledge. Causing a lifetime of damage that I do believe they can heal from but it takes hard work on their part, a good support system and  a therapist that knows already how very real this is abuse is.

By allowing ourselves and others to not believe because it is too difficult.... is a huge setback.

Wake up world...cults do exist, they do practice the unthinkable in abuse of children.....and they are getting away with it.

I believe....I know this is for real.....I know that without a shadow of  a doubt. Like I said, go read for yourself.

This world is crazy and in turmoil and these abusers/perps, they spend thier time making life a living hell for those in their group. It's all about control, sex with children, murder lies and scandals.

It never ceases to amaze me the depth of how far into the lives of political people, teachers, police officers which keeps these people from being caught. The power they have in their positions of work...keeps the secrets even longer.

Sharon1109

November 22, 2008, 12:13 pm CST

The Human Legacy

This kind of thing has been going on in secrecy for centuries: The leading edge research shows how these acts of shame have been passed down generation by generation, along with many other shame-based child-rearing techniques.

The only way to rid our socieites of this is to expose it all.  I applaud the television shows for continuing to do so, even though it can get tiring for some.  We are all different and each of us are willing to hear about these stories and related them to ourselves at different times, so the struggle is still new to many.  And, still being hard fought by many others.

This is not an easy thing to overcome within one's self. The damaging change that is done by primary caregivers shameful acts take a great deal of committment to the healing process - and, that's what it is, A PROCESS and it requires a breath-by-breath, moment-by-moment, day-by-day consciousness.

Give people the space and support to the process, let go of your judgements of them not working hard or fast enough.  With your support they will come to a place of healing to create better lives for themselves and the next generation.

November 22, 2008, 5:45 pm CST

Walking the Tightrope

The problem is that there is a fairly fine line between a church that is highly influential in it's member's lives and a cult.  Most people agree that when the head of the church starts to dictate what you eat, what you wear, and who you marry then it has definitely crossed the line from a church to a cult.  In a society that values freedom of religion it is difficult to do anything about a cult because everything done is covered under religious freedom.  Our only hope is to be able to identify and prosecute cults that prey on children for sex and labor.  What might be needed is more transparency in the financial and social dealings of all churches so that cults can be identified and eradicated.

November 22, 2008, 8:59 pm CST

Family Cult

Quote From: manofgoods

Does anyone have the link to this story? It must have happened decades ago, as it said. I tried to search for it using google, & I came up with no such luck. Thanks!
You can read about a cult that happened in Central Ontario, Canada.  There is a book, entitled Savage Messiah and a movie about this abusive cult.  If I remember correctly this man wanted to be known as Moses however you can check it out at:  http://www.rickross.com/reference/general/general452.htmlhttp
The cult leader's name Roch Teriault and he has been in prison for many years. I don't know that this is the cult featured on Dr Phil's show however.

November 22, 2008, 9:40 pm CST

I'M So Very Sorry This Happened To You.

To be honest I would have to say that my upbringing was less than ideal in the 1960's.But... I had my innocence and sexuallity preserved and for that I'm very grateful.No child should grow up sexually manipulated and exploited by a parent.I'm So very,very sorry that this happened to you and it consequently changed who you were to become.I can only think of that  scene in Forest Gump when Jenny is throwing rocks at the old house were she was ___POWERLESS___and sexually abused.Then Forest gump watches her pitch rocks at the home of her child abuse and says."Sometimes there just are arn't enough rocks".Sometimes there just arn't enough rocks but I believe that being on this show is the start of your healing and recovery from abuse.What happened to you is NOT YOUR FAULT even if the body responds from it's Biology.We want you to come back and reclaim your innocense and find that poor child that was devistated by such an act of this violence and betrayal.YOU WILL RECOVER AND CLAIM YOUR LIFE ! I KNOW THAT BECAUSE THIS IS HOW GOD WORKS.

November 23, 2008, 8:58 am CST

The only way to rid our socieites of this is to expose it all.

Quote From: alycam26

This kind of thing has been going on in secrecy for centuries: The leading edge research shows how these acts of shame have been passed down generation by generation, along with many other shame-based child-rearing techniques.

The only way to rid our socieites of this is to expose it all.  I applaud the television shows for continuing to do so, even though it can get tiring for some.  We are all different and each of us are willing to hear about these stories and related them to ourselves at different times, so the struggle is still new to many.  And, still being hard fought by many others.

This is not an easy thing to overcome within one's self. The damaging change that is done by primary caregivers shameful acts take a great deal of committment to the healing process - and, that's what it is, A PROCESS and it requires a breath-by-breath, moment-by-moment, day-by-day consciousness.

Give people the space and support to the process, let go of your judgements of them not working hard or fast enough.  With your support they will come to a place of healing to create better lives for themselves and the next generation.

Yes,  it is key in getting this information out there. Using the media is one of the most powerful ways it can be done. I commend Dr. Phis and his show for getting this information out there. I think it will cause others who watch the show, to investigate further into what all of this is about. Well at least those who can open their minds enough to hear the truths of the people who speak about their own experiences in a cult situation. Cults csn be multi generation, they can be people just dabbling in evil or even total strangers who happened upon your children and their families. Presenting someone other that who they are. That's just a few ways......there are loads more.

If we don't, as a world of people, stand together on this issue, it will continue to be as prevalent as it is now.

Maybe we could even do our own section for survivors of cult abuse so that people can see for themselves how serious this problem is in our world....maybe even as close as your own neighborhool and schools.

Love and light and a deep compassion on this topic for many years now...

I would appreciate any feedback or ideas on this topic that is such  a serious situation in our world todsy..

Sharon - Dr. Phil fan..I respect him and his wife so very much. They could be the open book of informationan knowledge about cults and cult abuse...that has been around for many centuries and even longer.

Sharon

November 23, 2008, 11:02 am CST

oh my god!!!!!!!!

what the hell?  I can not believe that this is going on!

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last