Message Boards

Topic : 06/29 Family Drama

Number of Replies: 37
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 21, 2008, 12:39:28 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/25/08) Family squabbles are hard to avoid –- especially during the holidays – but what happens when the disagreements escalate to cursing, yelling and even physical attacks? Loretta says she’s tired of the constant drama in her household, and she blames her husband, Devin. She says he’s selfish, calls her a whale and verbally and physically abuses their 18-year-old twin daughters, Ashley and Amy. Amy recently got married, and she says her relationship with her father is so strained, she didn’t even want him to walk her down the aisle! Devin says he’s the innocent one and his wife and daughters are disrespectful to him. Who’s telling the truth? And, a few years ago, Amy came home drunk, and Devin videotaped her to teach her a lesson. How does she react when she sees the footage in its entirety? Plus, Loretta says if Devin doesn’t get a wake-up call about his behavior, then she’s ready to kick him to the curb. Is there hope for this divided family? Will Loretta and Devin be able to reconcile –- or should they? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 21, 2008, 4:33 pm CST

Doctor Phil Show.

Doctor Drama Family Phil. Now this really cut the cake. i donot understand this. See you on Tuesday Nov-

ember 25th, 2008. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.--------------------------------------------------------------------- 

November 22, 2008, 7:09 pm CST

Domestic violence

Doesn't sound like this relationship has much of a chance.  Whenever there is domestic violence, emotional or physical, it has to be addressed before the relationship can even be considered.   There is always a chance, always hope, but at least from the blurb, it doesn't sound as if anyone in the family is willing to deal with the real problems.  Thanks for dealing with DV as much as you do, Dr. Phil.  It's such a huge problem in this country!

November 24, 2008, 6:34 am CST

MY niece

I just recently picked up my niece ,she was staying with a so called friend in another town. the young lady doesnt seem to have the smarts that some people do,I dont know if its because of not having the education that she didnt get or if its a learning disability, or what to think. I get the feeling that I need to hold her hand to get her started , she is 24 yrs old,divorced. I grew up an amish girl so did my niece, however I left over 40 yrs ago, my niece has left and gone back to the amish several different times, sometimes it was because that was the only place left for her to go.back to mom and dad (which are amish) but because she is divorced now she cant go back. I feel like my hands are tied, with only a sixth grade education my niece wont get very far, from talking to her it seems like the job situation isnt good because she cant seem to hang onto a job very long. got any advice for me on how to handle this. Im not her mother she is over the age of 18, so where do I start.

November 24, 2008, 9:34 am CST

11/25 Family Drama

Our family would get together for Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. And, the most dramatic thing that ever happened was when my niece's Christmas gift, a baby goat began eating the Christmas tree. And, pooping on the floor. We almost died laughing.

November 25, 2008, 5:38 am CST

JUST LOVE YOURSELF

Quote From: usedtobeamish

I just recently picked up my niece ,she was staying with a so called friend in another town. the young lady doesnt seem to have the smarts that some people do,I dont know if its because of not having the education that she didnt get or if its a learning disability, or what to think. I get the feeling that I need to hold her hand to get her started , she is 24 yrs old,divorced. I grew up an amish girl so did my niece, however I left over 40 yrs ago, my niece has left and gone back to the amish several different times, sometimes it was because that was the only place left for her to go.back to mom and dad (which are amish) but because she is divorced now she cant go back. I feel like my hands are tied, with only a sixth grade education my niece wont get very far, from talking to her it seems like the job situation isnt good because she cant seem to hang onto a job very long. got any advice for me on how to handle this. Im not her mother she is over the age of 18, so where do I start.
Try tO tbe yourseLf
in this woLd,,
Seems impossibLe
But try it
try to be yourself
Don't foLLow The others,
Because yOu aLways have to remember,
poeple who make fun of you

Are just jeauLous at yOu

November 25, 2008, 8:06 am CST

LORETTA's Weight Gain is a result of Devin...

It's evident to me that Loretta's weight gain is her escape for the lack of love exhibited by Devin.  This is a catch 22 in many, MANYYYY relationships.  The husband wants the wife to loss the weight they have gained, but yet the wife has gained the weight because of the way in which her husband has verbally abused her, ignored and neglected her, and emotionally has withdrawn from her.  VERY COMMON!!!  Ironic in fact!!  Fix the relationship, and the wife will fix her low self-esteem, eating problem (aka:  Weight gain)!!!!  :)

November 25, 2008, 1:20 pm CST

The family needs to get real

Actually it is obvious the women in this family do gang up on the father. The father doesn't handle it the way he should but I think after awhile he probably has begun to react without thinking because it is always the same. The mother has clearly taken the daughter's side and has taught then that they don't have to respect their father. Dr Phil told the father he should never lay his hand on his daughter because he is the adult, but both of those girls are adults too and they have no business talking to each other the way they do. Dr Phil has gotten it right that the father is defensive because he has been under attack for so long.

Other posts have accused the father of being responsible for his wife's weight problem, I disagree. They are all heavy, including the daughters and every adult is responsible for their own eating habits. He probably doesn't help when he says they don't need to eat more after a meal, but it is his concern for his wife's medical problems (which the daughters will also have if they don't change their eating habits) that make him say it, even if it isn't said the "right" way. I think the wife and him could work things out if the girls moved out completely.

November 25, 2008, 1:54 pm CST

OMG this is my family

I dont ever watch Dr. Phil on a regular basis but i was flipping channels and these people are related to me... Theres alot more to that story then has been told....

November 25, 2008, 2:00 pm CST

Family Drama--holy cow!

OK, this family is missing 2 parents--Yup, even one thinking rational adult.

I liked the way Dr. Phil offered them some assist in getting their heads on straight.

The whole family seemed very needy. Think they all could use individual counseling.

I'd like to see the steps this family will take to make a go of things--that's if they decide to.

Some people would rather keep the drama, than change.

November 25, 2008, 2:04 pm CST

Three spoiled women

Where is the appreciation for a husband and father who works hard to suport his family?

If my father had seen me going out, dressed in short tight clothing with gobs of make-up he would have told me I looked like a whore, too. It's not an insult, it's a warning. My father also nagged me about how much I ate, and I only weighed 125.

It's a parent's right to criticize a little bit and it's a spouse's right to question a $200 grocery bill if the budget says $100. It's anyone's right not to have to put up with a grown child cussing in the house. Lastly -- if a 200 pound person, of either sex, is pounding on you, you have the right to push them away.

They all need to watch yesterday's show to find out what an abusive father really is and then maybe they would quit throwing the abuse word at a good family man. Think of all the men who don't stay with their wives at all once she gains weight, think of the fathers who leave and don't pay support. These complaining women need to try a little harder and quit blaming someone else for all their problems.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next | Last