Message Boards

Topic : 07/01 "Bring Back My Child"

Number of Replies: 141
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, November 25, 2008, 04:33:50 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 12/01/08) Parents try their best to protect their kids and teach them about stranger danger, but what if your child is abducted … and the abductor is the other parent? Zanni and Christine are former sisters-in-law who say their ex-husbands, George and John Silah, vanished and took their children with them. The mothers haven't heard from their sons in months and have no idea where they are. Why do Zanni and Christine wish they trusted their instincts? Don’t miss the warning signs these moms say they recognized too late. The mothers accuse the fathers of shady business practices, and you won't believe what they say they discovered in their ex-husbands' home! The men are wanted for child abduction and there is a $25,000 reward for their capture. Then, David says he was happily married to Bruna and had a 4-year-old son whom he loved dearly. When he dropped them off at the airport in 2004, he never imagined that would be the last time he would see either of them for years. When Bruna arrived in her native Brazil, she called David and told him she wanted a divorce. David, who was devastated by his wife's actions, has fought tirelessly to regain custody of his son. Recently, this story took a tragic turn. Hear from David's attorney and get insight into his case. And, after losing custody of her 14-month-old, Cecilia went on the run and became a fugitive. She says fleeing was her only option, but now that she's been arrested and has served time, would she do it again? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 1, 2008, 2:29 pm CST

agree

Quote From: lisahinda

I think that lawyer was very disrespectful to the woman lawyer.  Shame on him that he should speak in such a condescending way.  He should have his license revoked.

And she said she was glad he was showing his true colors...so no telling what all else she's had to deal with from him.  Can you imagine, just in the short amount of time we heard him speak, he showed the most disrespect he could. Telling her maybe he "should be her father". What a pompous...well you hkow what, I bet Cecelia's ex is a controlling piece of work too. They usually get an attorney that matches them..

December 1, 2008, 2:32 pm CST

The things we do with the love we have for our kids

Quote From: devil_girl

Unless there is ALOT of information missing from this story then you have a woman who saw red marks on her child and noticed her child cried when SHE held her and then stole the child from her father.

There was no mention of doctors checking out the child, visits to the court, contacting a lawyer, talking to other family members, discussing the marks with the father or anything a mother would NORMALLY do.  She just ran off.

She is irresponsible, erratic, irrational and definately did the wrong thing.

She should be happy she isn't still in jail and that she even gets suprvised visits with the child.  It's laughable when she says she's not a flight risk...she tried to flee the country after abducting his child!!!!!

I feel the child is much safer knowing that she does not know where the child lives or goes to school because as a criminal child abductor she has no right to have that information

Clearly you have no children. First of all she didn't flee the country, she went to California, same country. Second, she didn't receive proper counsel and I'm sure panicked. Whe you chose a lawyer and they chose to cast you aside because "they" don't believe the story you could see how she would be concerned that no one would listen. To say she irresponsible is ill informed. Why should she be in jail?..I think his attorney was a TAD dramatic saying that she should be kept "under" the jail...Gimme a break I think there are more deserving people for that spot..Like I don't know..convicted child molesters, rapists, murderers, just to name a few...Not allowing her to have a relationship with her daughter is only damaging the little girl..Having kids can make you do crazy things, because you love them so much. You don't want to WAIT and see IF its happening...You just want to STOP it from ever taking place. I understand the legal side but also understand the mothers point as well...judgements are not necessary and get nothing in return....understanding and compassion can go a long ways...

December 1, 2008, 2:33 pm CST

Unfortunately

Quote From: lisahinda

I think that lawyer was very disrespectful to the woman lawyer.  Shame on him that he should speak in such a condescending way.  He should have his license revoked.
Typical Lawyer...

December 1, 2008, 2:35 pm CST

Granddaughter in Danger

My 3 year old granddaughter is in danger.  My daughter, her mother, was married to a psychopath.  He is charming, completely believable and has millions of dollars - gave to his brother/hidden, so he claims to not have any money.  However, he has one of the most expensive lawyers.  The family law judge is going to rule sole custody to either my daughter or her ex-husband.  He and his attorney thus far have been able to keep the report of the psychologist who diagnosed him as a psychopath out of court.  With all his money available, I, as a mother and grandmother, am so afraid for my daughter and my granddaughter, that the court will give custody to my ex-son-in-law.  My daughter is a great mother and is completely devoted to her daughter.  I'm sure the child has been treatened by her father about saying absolutely anything about the time spent with him.  She won't talk about anything to do with him.  Finally she did say that he leaves her in the car to run in somewhere, which is very inappropriate and, I think, illegal.  So far, every doctor, child-care worker, etc. have been threatened by him and changed their stories at the last minute.  He has a father who beat his mother and has, I'm sure been lying for years about his home life when he was young.  The court system thus far has failed my daughter who wants nothing else than to be a good mom.  I've run out of money to pay attorneys.  What can be done to help her??  My daughter got out just before he hit her although it had come close too many times.  People say she was fortunate to "get away", but is she?  It would have been better to have stayed and gotten beaten up so she would have some proof that he is violent.  How sad!!  She is a Christian and that is where her hope lies, not in the legal system!!

December 1, 2008, 2:35 pm CST

My Granson

My grandson was taken by his mother during court proceedings in Texas.  She fled the state during the middle of the night and the judge did not even issue a warrant.  Our problem is not with another country but with another state!!  The way the state of New Mexico has behaved you would think that they were another country.  My grandson's mother filed false charges with the police and made a false report to CPS.  She came to Texas because she said that she wanted her son to have both parents and after a week left the state leaving the baby and all of her possessions.  We had a restraining order against her but when she came back after a month for court our judge ordered us to let her have him overnight.  We knew she would run so my husband sat outside the hotel, he followed them for an hour until he lost them.  The state of Texas has given my son full custody and supervised visitation for the mother.  She was ordered to pay child support.  Of course that means nothing because she has the child.  She went to court in New Mexico, who also claimed jurisdiction (even though she was living in Texas) told her that she was a felon in the state of Texas so he forbid her to take the child into Texas and told her that she should stay out of Texas as well.  He then gave her full custoday and said that my son could have no visitation unless he dropped his Texas case.  He was forbidden to see the child simply because he had a case in Texas.  The Texas case was filed first but the New Mexico case was heard first because we couldn't find her to serve her court papers.  So my son is being penalized because he had a home where they could find him and because he exercised his rights and filed a case in Texas.  There was never any home studies done or even any question as to what would be best for this child.  We have not seen him in over two years and he will be three years old next week.  We saw him for one month when she abandoned him at four months old.  Ther is a Jurisdiction Act that states participate in but this judge in NM completely broke the law and did not follow the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Enforcement Act.  We appealed to the NM Appeals Court and they upheld the ruling.  My grandson is now living (we believe) with his mother, aunt, and her parents in NM.  The grandparents have had many legal and mental issues as well as my grandson's aunt.  The aunt has had her children removed by CPS for neglect and she is schizophrenic.  We believe that she probably helps take care of our grandson.  The grandfather has been in a mental institution at one time and got into legal trouble for some type of fraud.  We are so heartsick that our grandson is being raised by these people and has no exposure to his father or his father's family.  We believe that his well-being is at stake but we have tried to do what we could legally and $40,000 later we still don't see him.  We even tried to get my son's name on the birth certificate in New Mexico so at least someday he would knwo his father but we could not even do that.  They would not accept DNA results or court records naming him as the father! The pain is so deep and my husband still has nightmares about chasing them when they fled.  We would love to get our story heard so people know that this type of thing goes on within our own country too.  We have lost what is in the best interest of the child!! 

We also tried to get information in court about some journals that she left at my son's house but we were denied.  She wrote about raping young girls and killing the baby of a female rival.  She also wrote that she was mentally ill and really wanted to be the child's father.  We found a letter to her sister that stated that she wanted a child to give to her parents since CPS had taken their other grandchildren.  She said that she was really transgender but said that she would have to dress and act like a female to attract a male so that she could get pregnant.  We were not allowed to have any of this in court because of her privacy!  I believe that she abandoned these journals and that we had a right to use them in court.  Her privacy was more important than the well being of our grandson. 

The one good thing that came out of this is because of this mess we saw in the court system, my husband and I both have become Court Appointed Special Advocates for children.  If we can't help our own grandson then we hope that we can make a difference for some other child.

My heart goes out to all of those who have suffered this kind of heartache and to the children who have a right to know both of their parents.  This pain runs so deep and I think about it everday.  My son struggles with it and I have seen him break down so many times.  I pray that no one ever hurts my grandson the way this girl and her family have hurt my son.

December 1, 2008, 2:42 pm CST

12/01 "Bring Back My Child"

Quote From: cndrlla

Whoa!!

You are assuming an awful lot! Just because there was no mention of doctors checking out this child, visits to the court, contacting a lawyer, etc, does not mean all these things didn't take place. This mother was give very little time to tell her story and I'm sure, because of time constraints, there were a lot of things that didn't get mentioned.

For you to call her all those names is really presumptive, and unnecessarily harsh.

The child, she said, "whimpered" when she picked her up...as any child would do if they'd been hurt by someone else and were seeking comfort in their mother's arms.

Do YOU have children? 

Perhaps you missed part of my message.  I had stated that there may be a lot of information missing from this story but that nothing at all was mentioned of her taking rational precautions.

She had ample time to say (especially when Dr Phil asked her specifically) if she had tried any number of normal procedures and she admitted that she did not.  She suspected abuse and ran off with the child.

Look where that got her.

You cannot see a red mark on a child and then abduct her.  To do so is a violation of the childs and the parents rights.

If every person who saw a red mark on a child was then given the right to abduct them and flee to another country, imagine the situation we would be in.  What if someone saw a red mark on your child and then abducted them?

Do YOU have children?????

December 1, 2008, 2:50 pm CST

12/01 "Bring Back My Child"

Quote From: mcarter0215

Clearly you have no children. First of all she didn't flee the country, she went to California, same country. Second, she didn't receive proper counsel and I'm sure panicked. Whe you chose a lawyer and they chose to cast you aside because "they" don't believe the story you could see how she would be concerned that no one would listen. To say she irresponsible is ill informed. Why should she be in jail?..I think his attorney was a TAD dramatic saying that she should be kept "under" the jail...Gimme a break I think there are more deserving people for that spot..Like I don't know..convicted child molesters, rapists, murderers, just to name a few...Not allowing her to have a relationship with her daughter is only damaging the little girl..Having kids can make you do crazy things, because you love them so much. You don't want to WAIT and see IF its happening...You just want to STOP it from ever taking place. I understand the legal side but also understand the mothers point as well...judgements are not necessary and get nothing in return....understanding and compassion can go a long ways...

I said she was "trying" to flee the country.  She was heading for the Canadian border when she was caught...Canada is another country

She didn't not receive proper counsel because she did not try to get any counsel at all.  She just took the child and left.

There was only one side to this story and even hearing only her side and not the fathers I still think she was wrong.

Saying she is irresponsible is competely accurate.  To have a child you suspect of being abused and not get her any type of medical treatment, not speak to a therapist, the police, a lawyer, a judge, the courts or anyone with any authority to look into the charges, examine the child and investigate the accusations is 100% irresponsible.

I guess it's just me, Dr. Phil and the law that sees her as an irresponsible parent but I'm Ok with that

December 1, 2008, 2:56 pm CST

To mcarter0215

You say that having kids makes you do crazy things as if that is OK.  I think is is a dangerous statement to make.  Are you then condoning all children that heve been abducted by a parent?  A statment like that can sound like you are absolving the other parents on the show...the two brothers wheo abducted their children and the woman who abducted her son to Brazil by saying the love of their child made them do crazy things.

If Cecelia tends to do "crazy things' for the love of her child then thank god her visitations are supervised

December 1, 2008, 3:01 pm CST

I can NOT believe that Dr Phil did NOT speak UP!!!!!

Quote From: cherie_il

I was shocked as well!

December 1, 2008, 3:01 pm CST

I'd do it too.

In the drop of a hat. If I thought someone was hurting my child and no one would do anything to help me, I would leave and never come back. And i've dealt with social services in this respect. It can be ridiculous how little help they're even allowed to give. I really feel for Cecilia. I hope she gets her daughter back soon.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last