Message Boards

Topic : 07/01 "Bring Back My Child"

Number of Replies: 141
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, November 25, 2008, 04:33:50 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 12/01/08) Parents try their best to protect their kids and teach them about stranger danger, but what if your child is abducted … and the abductor is the other parent? Zanni and Christine are former sisters-in-law who say their ex-husbands, George and John Silah, vanished and took their children with them. The mothers haven't heard from their sons in months and have no idea where they are. Why do Zanni and Christine wish they trusted their instincts? Don’t miss the warning signs these moms say they recognized too late. The mothers accuse the fathers of shady business practices, and you won't believe what they say they discovered in their ex-husbands' home! The men are wanted for child abduction and there is a $25,000 reward for their capture. Then, David says he was happily married to Bruna and had a 4-year-old son whom he loved dearly. When he dropped them off at the airport in 2004, he never imagined that would be the last time he would see either of them for years. When Bruna arrived in her native Brazil, she called David and told him she wanted a divorce. David, who was devastated by his wife's actions, has fought tirelessly to regain custody of his son. Recently, this story took a tragic turn. Hear from David's attorney and get insight into his case. And, after losing custody of her 14-month-old, Cecilia went on the run and became a fugitive. She says fleeing was her only option, but now that she's been arrested and has served time, would she do it again? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 1, 2008, 3:03 pm CST

Watch Your Tongue

Quote From: mcarter0215

Typical Lawyer...
That womans lawyer made a classic mistake in calling the boyfriend's lawyer dishonest.  She should have read the court's transcript to see what her client said during questioning.  I think we did not even come close to what that couples relationship was really like.  I did not see anything wrong in the way the show portrayed them on the show.  It is really a messy situation.

December 1, 2008, 3:04 pm CST

what state are you in?

Quote From: illgal

My 3 year old granddaughter is in danger.  My daughter, her mother, was married to a psychopath.  He is charming, completely believable and has millions of dollars - gave to his brother/hidden, so he claims to not have any money.  However, he has one of the most expensive lawyers.  The family law judge is going to rule sole custody to either my daughter or her ex-husband.  He and his attorney thus far have been able to keep the report of the psychologist who diagnosed him as a psychopath out of court.  With all his money available, I, as a mother and grandmother, am so afraid for my daughter and my granddaughter, that the court will give custody to my ex-son-in-law.  My daughter is a great mother and is completely devoted to her daughter.  I'm sure the child has been treatened by her father about saying absolutely anything about the time spent with him.  She won't talk about anything to do with him.  Finally she did say that he leaves her in the car to run in somewhere, which is very inappropriate and, I think, illegal.  So far, every doctor, child-care worker, etc. have been threatened by him and changed their stories at the last minute.  He has a father who beat his mother and has, I'm sure been lying for years about his home life when he was young.  The court system thus far has failed my daughter who wants nothing else than to be a good mom.  I've run out of money to pay attorneys.  What can be done to help her??  My daughter got out just before he hit her although it had come close too many times.  People say she was fortunate to "get away", but is she?  It would have been better to have stayed and gotten beaten up so she would have some proof that he is violent.  How sad!!  She is a Christian and that is where her hope lies, not in the legal system!!

I am sorry your daughter and granddaughter is going through this. I have been through a very similar situation with my sociopath ex (we were never married) and our 3 year old.

I totally believe in where you are, who has the bias in the courtroom, and who has the money or the attorney with the power....the courts i honestly believe, do not look out for the well being of the child like they are supposed to. These judges have no training or education or experience on child development and what's truly best for the child. It is political. I really believe that and I have personally experienced it.

December 1, 2008, 3:09 pm CST

Lawyers on the show

I got to see only the last 10 minutes of the show, so I'm not sure about the names of people, but the male lawyer really let everyone see his butt when he made condescending remarks to the female lawyer (Christy, I think) about her age and  snout her just getting out of law school.  The only people who act condescending are those who are intimidated.  He really showed the world who he really is - condescending, insecure, nasty, maybe a little bit sexist and a little bit age-biased.  JERK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 1, 2008, 3:10 pm CST

ugh...Lawyers

Both of those lawyers at the end of the show were terrible representatives.  The woman kept interrupting, calling the man a liar, and obviously was so new to the case she hardly seemed to know what was going on.  I suspect she had read some papers the night before and didn't even have a clue what to say other than she believed "with her whole body" that her client was right in breaking the law.

The man had some knowledge of the case at least and some interesting points (if you could hear them over the other lawyers interruptions) like when he noted the charges of abuse only happened once she was out of jail and that on the stand she never mentioned abuse at all even when questioned.

But when he said he wished he was the other lawyers daddy...it just got a little sickening.

Both of then should learn to act like adults...can you teach an old (or new) lawyer new tricks?

December 1, 2008, 3:15 pm CST

12/01 "Bring Back My Child"

Quote From: devil_girl

I said she was "trying" to flee the country.  She was heading for the Canadian border when she was caught...Canada is another country

She didn't not receive proper counsel because she did not try to get any counsel at all.  She just took the child and left.

There was only one side to this story and even hearing only her side and not the fathers I still think she was wrong.

Saying she is irresponsible is competely accurate.  To have a child you suspect of being abused and not get her any type of medical treatment, not speak to a therapist, the police, a lawyer, a judge, the courts or anyone with any authority to look into the charges, examine the child and investigate the accusations is 100% irresponsible.

I guess it's just me, Dr. Phil and the law that sees her as an irresponsible parent but I'm Ok with that

Actually, I realized an error made in my post.  I indicated that she didn't try to get counsel...what I meant to say is that when her own lawyer (as well as everyone else in the case it seems) did not believe her accusations, she did not try an alternate method.

I still don't belive she had the right to break the law after seeing a red mark on her childs arms and chest.  Also, I'm not sure how this lead to her later claiming sexual abuse.  This case has such a lcak of evidence due to her poor behaviour that there's just not much to go on.

Had she been thinking clearly she should have had the child examined...if there was indeed sexual and physical abuse during the childs numerous visits to her father i would think there would be aome evidence that points to that

Unfortunately by running with the child...she has made it impossible to get that evidence, if it ever existed in the first place

December 1, 2008, 3:19 pm CST

I also registered for this board for the first time simply so that I could state my feelings about this character. The behavior of that male lawyer was reprehensible on so many levels.  His performance was better suited for the Jerry Springer show.  He is a caricatcher of everything that people hate in lawyers.

December 1, 2008, 3:28 pm CST

This is just a feeling, but I think a place to start looking for those three young boys might be either in Florida or California, in the Malibu area?

Just a feeling. It might be wrong. You can't exactly loose anything if nothing turns up from it.

December 1, 2008, 3:29 pm CST

David im praying for you

Quote From: gstcarlson

David & Bruna's story is indeed tragic and sad.  Bruna's widower should be FORCED to return David's child to him.  http://bringseanhome.org/index.html

There are awful people in the world and we see it

more and more everyday. Today really opened my eyes

you can never really trust anyone i guess. Im so sorry, and i will

try to help as much as i can.

December 1, 2008, 3:40 pm CST

Quote From: devil_girl

I said she was "trying" to flee the country.  She was heading for the Canadian border when she was caught...Canada is another country

She didn't not receive proper counsel because she did not try to get any counsel at all.  She just took the child and left.

There was only one side to this story and even hearing only her side and not the fathers I still think she was wrong.

Saying she is irresponsible is competely accurate.  To have a child you suspect of being abused and not get her any type of medical treatment, not speak to a therapist, the police, a lawyer, a judge, the courts or anyone with any authority to look into the charges, examine the child and investigate the accusations is 100% irresponsible.

I guess it's just me, Dr. Phil and the law that sees her as an irresponsible parent but I'm Ok with that

I wanted to say that I totally agree with you. I knew that a lot of people would feel for Cecilia but the bottom line is that she ran away with her child without having ANY proof that her ex-boyfriend was trully hurting that child. She said that she went to see a therapist to see if she was right but, strangely, did not tell the therapist's conclusion to Dr. Phil. I am unable to feel any pity for that woman. Anyways, she was in custody of the child before she ran away right ? Her ex-boyfriend only had the right to visit. If she thought something was wrong, she only had to stay with the child while she was with the father while going under different procedures to see if her intuition was good. Even her previous lawyer told her that there was no proof of what she was saying (which is probably why she had a new lawyer). I do think that she is a criminal and that she should be very happy that she still has the right to see her daughter.

Now, between the two lawyers, I really thought that the young lady was the least respectful of both of them. First off all, you do not base your argumentation on how you feel ! She said that Cecilia told her again and again and again the same story and that she trully believed that she did the right thing... huh ? This only shows that they have no proof of what Cecilia claimed. Then, she kept talking at the same time he did and when he asked her to stop talking at the same time she replied "Stop talking to me like you're my father". He was not talking to her as if he were her father, he was telling her what ANY judge would have told her in a court room. She seemed very unprofessional to me with a lack of facts and proof to support what she was saying and clear immaturity.

Some of you are saying that it is horrible to assume that Cecilia is a criminal and that the child is now with her father. Isn't it even more horrible that you assume that the father did molest her child while you have absolutely no proof of it ? Nothing shows that the father did something wrong while we all know that Cecilia abducted her child.

And before somebody asks me, I do not have any child but I am still able to say that what she did was wrong.

December 1, 2008, 3:47 pm CST

I am a 27 year old single parent with a soon to be 5 year old. I watched most of your show today and was distraught. My daughter was taken from my home in July of 2007 because I didn't have a stable residence. Childrens services claimed that I had moved over 11 times in a year and I probalby did. My issues with that is every time I moved it was to protect my daughter. You see I had a job where I would work till around 1 am so I let someone move in with me. That way I was not dragging her in and out of care takers homes in the middle of the night while she was asleep. I though I could trust this girl who was watching my daughter and she was excellent with her, but after she would put her to bed she was partying in the apartment and I eventually got evicted. I lost my job, my car broke down and with no money to move any where on my own I moved in with some people. Every time I felt that something was wrong and my daughter was in danger form the cercumstances I up and moved. I did this to proitect her and I know that I was in the wrong but I would understand it better if she would have been a school aged child and I was taking her out of various schools when i was moving but I wasn't. Actors and musicians do it but when someone that doesn't have money does it its wrong.  The day they took my daughter I had taken her to the ER because she had poison oak on her face. I had begged her dad to take her until i got on my feet and got my own apartment but he refused. They took her and informed me that I needed to go to the local homeless shelter. I did was was so distraught that they turned me away saying that I needed to be with friends and family. I never had a drug problem before. I admit I got high a few times, NEVER around my daughter but than with out her there I started smoking more and more. CPS decided to do random drug tests and of course I failed. So than they started using that as an excuse. I didn't see my daughter for almost 2 months than I started seeing her for one hour a week supervised. Now I am up to 4 hours a week unsupervised at my home and one hour counseling with her a week . I have done everything they have asked me to do, completed parenting classes, go to counseling, see a phychiatrist and have had an apartment for a year and have had clean drug screens for just as long. The only thing that they are holding against me now is I don't reall have a job. I still have no car so it is rather difficult to locate a job when there is nothing available. Everyone is laying off around here. I am afraid they are going to try to put my daughter up for adoption and the thought scares me more than anything else in the world. Her dad has had nothing to do with her for a year and I have alot of bitterness in that situation. He stopped seeing her around the time he would have found out that his now wife was pregnant. I feel that he replaced our daughter and in some ways blame him for my situation. All I want is my daughter back and am so terrified that I am gonna loose her for good because of the lack of jobs in my area and no way to get to work. Right now I do have a part time job  working at home but my computer freezes alot and I have no way to make up the hours that are lost by going to the office and working there with no transpertation. Not all parents are bad parents alot just have bad luck so why are the ones that are trying punished and the ones that don't deserve thier kids are not bothered by the govermnent. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last