Message Boards

Topic : 12/03 Families under Fire

Number of Replies: 65
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, November 26, 2008, 07:23:13 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
As the nation faces a collapsing financial market, record job losses and a foreclosure crisis, is your marriage strong enough to survive the storm? Bishop T.D. Jakes, renowned pastor and author of Before You Do, joins Dr. Phil to discuss how families can brave tough times. First up, Karen says she and her husband, Walter, were living the American Dream: a loving marriage, a beautiful home and a 20-acre farm. But when she quit her job for health reasons two years ago, bills began piling up, and Karen fears her spouse is cracking under the pressure. She says Walter gets tense, pounds his head with his fists and blames her for their mounting debt. Walter admits that he can hurl insults when he and Karen fight over their finances, but says Karen’s carelessness with credit cards is driving them further into the red. Find out what Karen says her husband did that pushed her over the edge. Can Dr. Phil and Bishop Jakes get the couple back on track? Then, Sherida and Brandon have been married for three months, but instead of enjoying their honeymoon, they say their relationship is already on the rocks. Sherida says that Brandon has a law degree, but he refuses to get a job, and she’s tired of being the sole provider. Brandon says he’s waiting on a higher power to provide. Can Sherida and Brandon salvage their union, or should she cut her losses? Plus, don’t miss Dr. Phil’s survival plan to get your marriage through the economic meltdown. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 5, 2008, 8:01 pm CST

12/03 Families under Fire

Quote From: jennincali

A LOVE STORY?  WHAT ABOUT THESE PASSAGES?  (Just to name a few... I could go on and on):

"...for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me." Exodus 20:5
  "in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who know not God, and those who do not obey the glad tidings of our Lord Jesus Christ." 2 Thessalonians 1:8

OR HOW ABOUT THESE?  YOU FIND THESE TO BE LOVE STORY MATERIAL?  I FIND THEM MISOGYINISTIC:

"As in all the churches of the saints, the women should keep silence in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be subordinate, as even the law says. If there is anything they desire to know, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church."
..........1 Corinthians 14:34

"Wives, be subject to your husbands, as to the Lord."
..........Ephesians 5:22

"Let a woman learn in silence with all submissiveness. I permit no woman to teach or have authority over men; she is to keep silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor."
..........Timothy 2:11

"For the wife does not rule over her own body, but the husband does..."
..........1 Corinthians 7:4

"Likewise, you wives, be submissive to your husbands..."
..........1 Peter 3:1   "They were submissive to their own husbands, like Sarah who obeyed Abraham and called him her master." ..........1 Peter 3:5

"For man was not made from woman, but woman from man. Neither was man created for woman but woman for man."
..........1 Corinthians, 11:8

Keep in mind, the Bible was written thousands of years ago.  Some of the passages to which you refer are in the Old Testament.   Before Jesus was born (old testament) they lived under the Law, which seemed pretty brutal for those who didn't and still don't believe. Once Jesus was born (new testament), they began living under Grace, which is what we live under today.     

God is a jealous God! Matthew 6:24 "No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.

He wants no other god(s) or idol(s) before Him.  And as for 1 Corinthians 14:34, it wasn't until 1868 that women even had rights.  Women were to be seen, not heard.  Obviously, that's no longer the case.  Women are probably heard far more than men now days.

Wives are supposed to submit to their husbands and they did back in the biblical days, but because women have equal rights today, they exercise every single one of those rights.  Women take charge because they can and some women take charge because they have to.

Woman was created as mans equal partner.  Read Genesis 2:22.  He created woman from mans rib, not his head, to be above Him and not his feet, to be beneath him.  And no, woman is not a cheaper cut of meat, which was how someone else once replied.  Honestly, as a woman, I take 1 Corinthians 11:8 as a huge compliment. It basically says man can't do it alone, he needs the help of a woman.

One thing is for certain the Bible DOES NOT sugar coat for anyone!  Maybe you read something that conicided with you life and it struck a nerve.  Perhaps you need to come to grips with it.  I'm certainly not telling you, you have to.  I'm just suggesting because you might be shocked if you give God a chance. 

December 8, 2008, 7:08 am CST

Thank you so much!

Quote From: manofgoods

He, shelly, sorry for bring up this old subject, but renophil has just posted to your recent comment.

http://drphil.com/messageboard/topic/3655/22/

You need not apologize for telling me about that post.  I am eternally greatful that you did. My jaw literally dropped when I read it.  Thanks again for notifying me! 

December 11, 2008, 5:19 am CST

Challenging Society's Definition of Successful Male

I found it especially interesting that Brandon is an intelligent, well-educated man who lacks much in the way of ambition. My sense is that the crassness of things like dog-eat-dog "professional" atmospheres, office politics, thoughtless remarks and behaviors by co-workers, things like this probably affect him more than the average person. I was surprised when Dr. Phil and Bishop Jakes basically said it's ok if he doesn't want to work. I would think they would see it as an emotional problem that would merit lots of counseling.

I relate to Brandon completely, even though I'm a 51 yr old woman with a successful husband. I wonder if you can "counsel" this out of a person.

I also wonder if Sharida will be able to remain interested in the marriage. Her role is going to end up being more of the traditional male role: being the primary breadwinner. My sense was that she's feeling more than a little heartbroken to realize this dynamic man doesn't have much desire to "fit in" to society's definitions.

December 11, 2008, 12:31 pm CST

Quote From: aclarkiii

I was shocked when the first couple were telling their story and the wife told of going upstairs to the bedroom, waking her husband to tell him to sleep in another room and then slapping him. He slapped her back and then was thrown under the bus on the show without any mention of her totally unacceptable behavior! I waited the whole show for Dr. Phil to take her to task regarding her behavior but it didn't happen! I wonder how many women watching now think that it may be OK to behave in such a manor? And she looked so wounded and much the victim. Anyone who would behave like that is not a victim.
At least Dr Phil didn't throw him under the bus for slapping her back. In the past, when men have slapped women back, Dr Phil has told them that men should never hit women back. I was fully expecting him to this time. And, was surprised that he didn't. But, maybe he got too much flak on the message boards for doing it in the past. And, some of that flak came from me.

December 24, 2008, 10:55 pm CST

Quote From: jennincali

I was making a joke when I wrote the title "When God Made Man SHE Was Only Joking"... I was using humor there to make a point. :o)

I never said you didn't have a right to your beliefs or that I was offended by your "right to believe"... I said that when people use the words "He" or "Him" it offends me.  I think your beliefs are a fairy tale.  That's my opinion.  But you have every right to believe them.  I never said you didn't.   I just said your use of the male pronoun was offensive to me as a woman and limiting, in my opinion. 

Again, I think the use of the male pronoun creates a very strong image that is not a true image of the Force in the Universe.  And I wish we as a society would grow past it.  It's childish in my opinion.

But you have every right to believe it... again I never said you didn't.

Peace!
Not in so many words.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next Page | Last Page