Message Boards

Topic : 12/04 Dr. Phil's Get Real Retreat, Part 4

Number of Replies: 66
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, November 26, 2008, 07:27:18 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Fourteen courageous people spend three days facing Dr. Phil and the reality of their problems, which include addiction, anger, grief and abuse. In part four of Dr. Phil’s retreat, the guests examine their feelings towards their mom and dad and address how who they are today relates to the influence of their parents. Will the participants free themselves from the pain of their past and let go of resentment they say they harbor against their parents? When Kelly is asked what she would say to her father if he were alive, her overwhelming emotions get the best of her. And, Carina delves into her feelings about her abusive stepfather. Is she waiting for an apology that will never come? Plus, Jessica R., who battles with weight and self-image, says she doesn’t feel she deserves to be in the retreat. When Dr. Phil plays a video of her at home, will she realize she’s right where she belongs? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 28, 2008, 3:19 pm CST

Doctor Phil Show.

Doctor Four Get Part Phil Real Re Treat.  I the way you help people get real retreat. Now that is much mor-

e like it. See you on Thursday December 04th, 2008. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.-----------------------

December 3, 2008, 6:31 am CST

I can relate

I have been watching the retreat and I realized that I can relate to everyone that has spoken so far.  It made me really sad.  I didn't realize how many feelings I was hiding until I saw someone else say them.  I have thought about suicide for more than 20 years, until someone close actually killed them selves.  I was sexually abused, phisically abused, and mentally abused.  I also drink too much at night to help me not think so much.  I could never do what they are doing, they are very brave people.  I would be afraid of what everyone thought of me.  I just wanted to get this all off my chest.  Angelina

December 4, 2008, 7:56 am CST

forgiving yourself and others

Dear Dr. Phil,  I am 43 years old and have just now figured out how to forgive myself and others.  I have also come to realize that I cannot change people, just myself.  It took me 3 drug rehabs to realize this.  My last one was just two months ago.  I suffered all these years because I expected something from people that could not give it to me.  My parents, for one.  But I have realized they did the best they could in their own situations and I have to accept it.  Acceptance of them and myself has been a life-changing situation for me.  I buried all my wrong decisions under the umbrella of their mistakes as they raised me.  Forgiving myself didn't come easy.  First, I had to realize that I made my own mistakes and decisions.  Blaming them wasn't helping anymore.  And realizing for myself that I am worth something and liking myself just as I am at this moment has set me free.  I still go back to my old thinking sometimes, I'm nowhere near perfect but I don't have to stay there.  These people have to realize they cannot rely on other people for their happiness and self worth.  It comes from within and when you find it.....you start to live.

December 4, 2008, 7:56 am CST

SUPERB SHOW TODAYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...

SUPERBBBBBB SHOW TODAY, DOC PHIL!!!!!  EXCELLENT BREAKTHROUGHS I SEE HAPPENING!!!  ALLOWING OTHERS TO SEE YOUR PAST PROBLEMS AND STRUGGLES, DOC PHIL, ENABLES EYES TO OPEN THAT DYSFUNCTION CAN HAPPEN TO ANYONE.  (((HUGS))) TO YOU FOR YOUR EXTREME HONESTY.  "THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE".  MY HEART GOES OUT TO ALL THESE PEOPLE, BUT IT BREAKS THE MOST WHEN I HEAR OF THE MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF MOLESTATION AND ABUSE BY PARENTS AND SUPPOSED ("FRIENDS").   THE THERAPY THESE PEOPLE WILL RECEIVE FROM YOU WILL BE WELL WORTH IT, AND SAVE THEM YEARS OF WORK IMPROVING THEIR LIVES.  VERY HAPPY YOU DID THIS SHOW.  YOU WILL SAVE MILLIONS MORE THAN JUST THESE FOLKS.  (((HUGS))) TO ALL INCLUDING DOC PHIL( AN ANGEL).  ~ANNE from MI

December 4, 2008, 8:25 am CST

12/04 Dr. Phil's Get Real Retreat, Part 4

dear dr phil

this was the first time i watched the retreat and it was really beneficial to me. It made me realize my issues with my childhood with my resentment with my parents and everything I been through as a child. It made me realize that i have to overcome my past and really speak out how i feel with my parents to make me be a better wife and mother now. i know i have to let go and try to not let my past take control of my present. thanks dr phil.

December 4, 2008, 11:29 am CST

Thank You So Much For Your Insightful Show Today!!!

Quote From: acordeiro

I have been watching the retreat and I realized that I can relate to everyone that has spoken so far.  It made me really sad.  I didn't realize how many feelings I was hiding until I saw someone else say them.  I have thought about suicide for more than 20 years, until someone close actually killed them selves.  I was sexually abused, phisically abused, and mentally abused.  I also drink too much at night to help me not think so much.  I could never do what they are doing, they are very brave people.  I would be afraid of what everyone thought of me.  I just wanted to get this all off my chest.  Angelina
I agree with the above also, but Dr Phil  some of the things you said  like in regards to placing blame, and you individual self, didnt realize it, but everytime i was bulleyed, or mentally abused or not good enough or sexually abused you go through that and you actually start to believe it! I work hard and go to school full time and i was kind of going through the motions the past several years of being confident and outgoing on the outside, but drinking, and drugging away my past on the inside.  I thought you could just ignore your past like "doesnt phase me" because in a sense i felt if i confronted my past , in a way, those that hurt me won and i would have to relive it.  After watching the show today , i cried almost a relief cry, because you gave awesome advice i didnt think of before, plus i can relate to everyone on the show, ive had alcohol and drug problems thankfully in the past, ive been abused sexually, physically, mentally, made fun of and never fit in in school, and ive always been overly critical on my looks to the point when sometimes ill only eat 800 calories a day even though i get weak, and i work out 6 days a week even though my own trainer told me to slow it down.  Im also a perfectionist to the point where its almost OCD, maybe it is.

December 4, 2008, 1:15 pm CST

Quote From: acordeiro

I would think you are very brave to stand up and say what happened to you.  I think the fact that you sent a message about it is very promising. That you must be here to help someone.  I hated the people that abused me and I went through life and pretended it didnt happen. until I found out my brother did the same thing to his step daughter and others.  I resented my mother for allowing it and my father for just not protecting me.  THen I I came to the conclusion that the reason those people did that to me is because they were done that way but did not have the strength and/or intellect to change the thinking errors that bestowed upon them. I forgive them.  I forgave my mother too late though. But it was mostly for me and I feel free now. No need for alcohol or drugs. I am free. Hang in there Angelina, you are special and are important. You deserve a better life. write me anytime. Tammy gluvsu@aol.com

December 4, 2008, 1:19 pm CST

The people on this show should "get over it" but sometimes it's not that easy. I've been watching the Get Real Retreat when it first started, and I can SO relate to some of the people. I've been through some pretty hard stuff, but I don't need a retreat to get real and move on.

December 4, 2008, 1:36 pm CST

watching today's show brought back so many memories with me dealing with my own demons over the years.  So many of us walk around with masked faces and broken, bleeding inside.  but with talking out all the mess, this life can be managed(I think)...

December 4, 2008, 1:39 pm CST

In my day

This is a quote from some wise person.

In my day we didnt have self esteem, we had self respect and we didnt haver more than we earn'd.

I hate to be so tough but all these people need is a purpose.  Replace the crap with a sense of self, and that can't be found talking.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last