Message Boards

Topic : 07/03 School Discipline: Out of Control?

Number of Replies: 269
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, November 26, 2008, 07:29:46 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 12/05/08) When you send your children to school, you expect them to be taught in a nurturing environment. But what should you do if you learn your child has experienced extreme discipline by those entrusted to teach him or her? Eva and Doug's autistic daughter, Isabel, was 8 years old when her teachers claimed her behavior became too difficult to handle, so they sent her to the time-out room. Cameras captured Isabel's time spent in isolation, which her parents say lasted for over three hours. Her parents say they had worked with the teachers regarding disciplining Isabel and were panicked and horrified when they saw the footage. Next, Martha says her 12-year-old daughter was in a classroom when $42 went missing. In an effort to find the money, a group of girls were strip-searched. You won't believe who reportedly ordered the investigation. Martha says her daughter is devastated and will never be the same. Then, when 5-year-old Gabriel constantly complained that his teacher was mean and yelled at him, his mom, Tabitha, sent him to school with a tape recorder in his pocket. Hear the audio recordings and find out the shocking information Tabitha discovered. Psychologist Ken Merrell, special education teacher Kathy Riley and civil litigation attorney Areva Martin weigh in on these cases. And, after years of being relentlessly bullied by fellow students, Jeremiah brought the torment to a tragic end. His father, Jeff, joins Dr. Phil and Jay McGraw to speak for the first time on television. Plus, if you're a teen and want to talk about what's happening at your school, join the Teen Talk message boards.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 1, 2008, 11:02 am CST

school discipline

my son was recently a victim of cyberbullying. it led him to threaten to take a gun to school and shoot the ones making fun of him and threatening the girl that kept texting him about the rumor of him and a video that a couple of students made of him and placed on youtube.com. my son was expelled and was charged with terroristic threat. he is a senior in high school. i cannot get anyone to listen to the whole story and  the facts of the whole situation. there have been other incidences at school since my sons incident and even a week before. my son was made to be an example. students before and since then have only gotten a slap on the hand. i have proof of all these incidents. i just cant get anyone to listen. please help me help my son and help to explain to him why his discipline was so harsh and the others were not. thank you.

December 2, 2008, 7:54 am CST

About schools today!!!

Quote From: princessgina

These bad teachers need to be taught a lesson they need to be fired and in some cases prosicuted.

What really scares me is the power we have given to the children and that is a fact.

When I went to school it seems in the year of the flood the teachers had absolute power there were no if's and's or or's we knew had the law in their hands. Teachers had a paddle on their desks and they would always start out the class that this talks and they would place it where everyone could see. So sat there and behaved the entire class and you actually learned.

The biggest thing we learned for every actions there is a reaction and we didn't want the reaction. When I was in twelve grade someone threw freshly chewed gum in my hair and I was so mad all I saw was red. I took it out my head and started to throw it back. Guess who got in trouble? ME.

She called me up and put on the stage (it was in speech class0 took her paddle out and whipped in front of the entier class. I didn't feel it because I had so many slips on but it taught me a lesson and what do you think it was? Two wrongs never make a right or for action there is a reaction I never forgot that and that is the way I have lived.

Now mind you the teachers had the permission from the parents to do anything they needed to do to their children for them to behave without fear and that is the way it should be today and there won't be so much trouble in schools and that is a fact. There was no such thing as child abuse in schools as there is today.

December 2, 2008, 10:05 am CST

12/05 School Discipline: Out of Control?

Quote From: carolrhill

What really scares me is the power we have given to the children and that is a fact.

When I went to school it seems in the year of the flood the teachers had absolute power there were no if's and's or or's we knew had the law in their hands. Teachers had a paddle on their desks and they would always start out the class that this talks and they would place it where everyone could see. So sat there and behaved the entire class and you actually learned.

The biggest thing we learned for every actions there is a reaction and we didn't want the reaction. When I was in twelve grade someone threw freshly chewed gum in my hair and I was so mad all I saw was red. I took it out my head and started to throw it back. Guess who got in trouble? ME.

She called me up and put on the stage (it was in speech class0 took her paddle out and whipped in front of the entier class. I didn't feel it because I had so many slips on but it taught me a lesson and what do you think it was? Two wrongs never make a right or for action there is a reaction I never forgot that and that is the way I have lived.

Now mind you the teachers had the permission from the parents to do anything they needed to do to their children for them to behave without fear and that is the way it should be today and there won't be so much trouble in schools and that is a fact. There was no such thing as child abuse in schools as there is today.

I do understand where you are coming from but: it is not the good teachers, those who would only use discipline measures that woud be the problem that could solve much in our schools and communities.

It is those who would punish, loose tempers, abuse and/or forget it is a child with troubles or problems.

I watched one day in school a teacher loose control over a disruptive child, grab him by the shirt, slamming him up against the wall, screeming how fed up he was with him.  I seen teachers grab kids by the hair, arm with great force pulling them to the hallway ETC

Parents need held more responsible for what behavior their children have in any environment, then we get more attention to many things like bullies, gangs and teachers who do not belong in that field?

I would never give a teacher or anyone permission to 'do anything' to my child.  Do not forget we have had a rise in sexual abuse from even teachers or at least more awarness of it going on.  discipline or punishment, redicule or critisizm should never be done in front of the whole class!  That is abuse!

In the 60's or 70's children did not behave in class.  In the 50's most dropped out by 8th grade, many came to school drunk or wore out from late nights.  The old days did not solve any problems, they let them slide in the children thus gave us a generation to follow another of abusers, drug addicts, alcoholics and most problems today with children is in the whole communities, not a teacher who only has your child a few hours a day for that school year yet proclaims they raise our children?

Children need empowered to learn, grow and be good citizens.  Our environment of video games, computers and television to raise kids is not going to give that?

December 2, 2008, 10:07 am CST

What were you thinking?

Okay, you got paddled in your senior year of high school for throwing gum?  Twelfth grade?  LMAO.  Not to criticize you like this, but did it ever occur to you to maybe scan for the perp from your desk, then RAISE YOUR HAND and INFORM THE TEACHER?  Or else wait until the teacher was through lecturing, then go up to her, show her the gum and tell her that somebody threw it at you.  Maybe then, you would’ve been “spared the rod” so to speak.

I may not be as old as you, but that’s the approach I would’ve taken if that had happened to me in twelfth grade, but then again, I’ve never had that happen to me, as I remember, and I’ve been bullied in middle school quite a bit.  Maybe “Think before you act” should be on that list of lessons.

December 2, 2008, 10:14 am CST

Quote From: tannisne1

As a teacher for over 30 years, discipline is lacking in most schools. Administration is afraid of parents going to the Board so they side on the parents. Even though they know that kids know how to manipulate adults, the administration still will not take a stand. Parents foolishly believe 100 % their child instead of looking at 3 sides to a problem. This makes it difficult for teachers to lovingly discipline their students which they need to do to let learnign take place. Misinterpretation is common...think back to when you were young and the discipline you got. How many classrooms were out of control then? Fear of lawsuits is the crime!

In the 60's I watched swearing, throwing objects and cigaretes, rolled pot and sleeping often in school.  I smelled teaches of alcohol, knew of teachers flirting with girls, girls sitting in front legs apart to get good grades, it was not all that good as so many want to think it was.  Fighting went on daily, rarely was it stopped, controlled or monitored. I am no fool, I always believed my children, until they proved me wrong.  No adult was going to come before my child.  That so many did not believe a child is why so many abusers got away with doing harm to those who now adults won't believe them adults and do not want you touching our children.

The Schools do and can have alternate education for the disruptive and those who cannot behave in normal classrooms.  If the teachers do thier job and show that is needed, it can accomplish much.

There should be no reason to fear a law suit, we have legal systems, police to call and courts.

If no one takes the law into thier own hands, anothers childs rearing as thier place, they won't have to fear it?  Class rooms have been out of control since the mid 60's steady increases has not caused the changes needed.

Teachers are not babysiters, replacements for parents nor police or social workers, they are educators.

December 2, 2008, 10:24 am CST

Quote From: skenski

I have taught for over 8 years in an inner city school district located in the mid-west. Although I have heard stories  and seen news reports even locally similar to this show's examples, I have never experienced anything like that in the two schools I have taught at. What I have experienced is so out of control children and such little support from the district or parents I find it very difficult to teach the curriculum outlined by the district and the state. Currently I have 24 students and 3 of them are on specific behavior plans. These plans include tracking sheets that I must stay on top of and record each student's behavior sometimes as often as every 20 minutes! I must also reward behavior that simply complies to school and classroom standards sometimes as often as three times a day. Each student's behavior must be logged daily to document successess and failures. Each student has an agenda and behavior tracking sheets that must be completed with detailed descripitons of behavior for parents to read, sign and have returned daily. I am required to meet monthly with the parents and the team which help to set up these behavior plans. Now on top of this...I have 21 other children I am trying to teach, assess, grade papers, file, complete lesson plans, tutor, prepare for formal observations, and keep up parent contacts with. I do all this with no additional help. We have no aids or PARA's. I work from 6:30 in the morning to 6:30 at night, come in and work work for 5 hours every Saturday, and of course take work home with me every night. Yes, some teacher's and schools are NOT doing what is right by our children. Sometimes that is through poor disciplanary procedures, but most often its because of too much paperwork and too little time actually caring and teaching the children we are given the responsiblility to teach each year.

That you said 24 students tells me you are in a better community because most classrooms are over 30 students now.  Many jobs require a bunch of paper work and extra attention to for others or things.

A teacher is an educator, chooses that just a police officer choose to protect the public with his/her life on the line.  I respect your postion and choice of career but you are not in such bad shape in life, you get all holidays off, vacations and decent pay and benefits, you are a public servent in most states.

I do not respect that any teacher plays off they have it rough in any way unless they are in danger as some are in the roughest schools.  When we have equal schoool systems regardless of neighborhoods and money influence we may get better students.  Parents is at an all time high of not raising thier children, schools are at an all time high of not meeting that needed extra conditioning for that way of life.

This school: band, swim pools, computer rooms, tennis courts ETC

That school lucky to have one set of up to date books?

December 2, 2008, 10:32 am CST

I had a bad teacher in the second grade she loved hitting kids with a paddle on a daily basis whether they did something bad or not. My mom nearly had her prosicuted. I don't feel spanking should be the school's doing it's for parents only. Detention ISS OSS that's one thing but hitting someone's else's  kid should be considered a crime and the offender should be punished.

December 4, 2008, 11:04 am CST

Agrees.

Quote From: princessgina

I had a bad teacher in the second grade she loved hitting kids with a paddle on a daily basis whether they did something bad or not. My mom nearly had her prosicuted. I don't feel spanking should be the school's doing it's for parents only. Detention ISS OSS that's one thing but hitting someone's else's  kid should be considered a crime and the offender should be punished.
I most certainly agree with your post & others, princessgina. Unfortunately, there are people out where who do much worse things such as this. I didn't say "bad", because those are minor things compared to "worse". I'm talking about Cops, Teachers, Pastors, Priests, Lawyers, etc. They do worse things behind closed doors, too, such as murders, abuse, molestation, etc. Don't think that they don't, because it does usually happen, whatever you want to believe it, or not.

December 5, 2008, 7:16 am CST

Sad memory ~

Children are suppose to have fond memories of school and the truth is, not every child will have them . I remember a grammar school teacher of mine that despised me. She took every opportunity to scold me, embarrass me,  or make me stand in the corner in front of the classroom because I was talking in class. I remember  one day being my last day of school for a couple of weeks because I was going into the hospital for an operation and I stayed after school to wait for my sister to pick me up and I remember wanting her to like me so bad so I told her I was having this operation and she responded in such a horrible way to me. She made me feel like a nothing and all I wanted was to be liked. My Mother went to the school and tried to  have me taken out of her class and was told that I wasn't there to socialize, I was there to learn. I will never forget Mrs Von Cannon and I wished I could have told her years later just what her meanness did to my self worth for so many years. No child should ever be treated this way especially coming from a role model.  I have always wanted to share my story and thank you for giving me the chance.

December 5, 2008, 7:16 am CST

School Discipline

All the teachers and administrators involved in today's show used bad judgement and in some of the cases abusive behavior and they should be dealt with severely.  That said, today's show did not address a larger issue facing schools that is being ignored by government, parents and apparently, The Dr. Phil Show.  Programs like "No child left behind", large class sizes, parents who don't parent, and a surge in emotionally and physically disabled children in public schools have overwhelmed teachers and admininstrators.  Our government, in a way, is bullying public school systems to do more with less.  Our congress spends billions on wars and to bail out poorly managed corporations, but does little to help our schools handle the needs of children.  Does government want ignorant citizens so they can continue to manipulate the masses with utter disregard for the needs of the American people? 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last