Message Boards

Topic : 07/03 School Discipline: Out of Control?

Number of Replies: 269
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, November 26, 2008, 07:29:46 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 12/05/08) When you send your children to school, you expect them to be taught in a nurturing environment. But what should you do if you learn your child has experienced extreme discipline by those entrusted to teach him or her? Eva and Doug's autistic daughter, Isabel, was 8 years old when her teachers claimed her behavior became too difficult to handle, so they sent her to the time-out room. Cameras captured Isabel's time spent in isolation, which her parents say lasted for over three hours. Her parents say they had worked with the teachers regarding disciplining Isabel and were panicked and horrified when they saw the footage. Next, Martha says her 12-year-old daughter was in a classroom when $42 went missing. In an effort to find the money, a group of girls were strip-searched. You won't believe who reportedly ordered the investigation. Martha says her daughter is devastated and will never be the same. Then, when 5-year-old Gabriel constantly complained that his teacher was mean and yelled at him, his mom, Tabitha, sent him to school with a tape recorder in his pocket. Hear the audio recordings and find out the shocking information Tabitha discovered. Psychologist Ken Merrell, special education teacher Kathy Riley and civil litigation attorney Areva Martin weigh in on these cases. And, after years of being relentlessly bullied by fellow students, Jeremiah brought the torment to a tragic end. His father, Jeff, joins Dr. Phil and Jay McGraw to speak for the first time on television. Plus, if you're a teen and want to talk about what's happening at your school, join the Teen Talk message boards.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 28, 2008, 3:26 pm CST

Doctor Phil Show.

Control Disci Doctor Of Out Phil Pline School. I donot belive this. What are schools doing dicsipline these-\s kids in schools? See you on Friday December 05th, 2008. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.------------ 

November 29, 2008, 9:28 am CST

Yes, but in MOST schools...

I have taught for over 8 years in an inner city school district located in the mid-west. Although I have heard stories  and seen news reports even locally similar to this show's examples, I have never experienced anything like that in the two schools I have taught at. What I have experienced is so out of control children and such little support from the district or parents I find it very difficult to teach the curriculum outlined by the district and the state. Currently I have 24 students and 3 of them are on specific behavior plans. These plans include tracking sheets that I must stay on top of and record each student's behavior sometimes as often as every 20 minutes! I must also reward behavior that simply complies to school and classroom standards sometimes as often as three times a day. Each student's behavior must be logged daily to document successess and failures. Each student has an agenda and behavior tracking sheets that must be completed with detailed descripitons of behavior for parents to read, sign and have returned daily. I am required to meet monthly with the parents and the team which help to set up these behavior plans. Now on top of this...I have 21 other children I am trying to teach, assess, grade papers, file, complete lesson plans, tutor, prepare for formal observations, and keep up parent contacts with. I do all this with no additional help. We have no aids or PARA's. I work from 6:30 in the morning to 6:30 at night, come in and work work for 5 hours every Saturday, and of course take work home with me every night. Yes, some teacher's and schools are NOT doing what is right by our children. Sometimes that is through poor disciplanary procedures, but most often its because of too much paperwork and too little time actually caring and teaching the children we are given the responsiblility to teach each year.

November 29, 2008, 10:27 am CST

Lasting effects of school experiences

When I was in 2nd grade, I had a new teacher named Miss Seeley. I was a fairly shy and quiet little kid.  One day a girl wore a bracelet to school and it turned up missing.  Miss Seeley made us all stay after school till it was found.  This was a new experience and many were crying.  I saw the bracelet under the owner's desk in the back of the room.  Excitedly told the teacher thinking she'd be pleased, and she said: "I should have known it was you who took it".  I was devastated.  I am now 68 and was relating this story during a gathering of old classmates. Tears began pouring down one girl's face.  "I thought she hated me" she said.  This girl had gone out at lunch time and almost been hit by a car.  She came back to the room crying and scared, and Miss Seeley not only wouldn't comfort her, but wouldn't let any of the other students comfort her.  Another girl had transferred into the school from elsewhere and Miss Seeley made her sit at a desk out in the hall.  She also thought she was hated.   This info came out from just a small group of us.  We'll never know how many others thought she hated them too.  At one point after graduation, I worked in the office at the same school and was able to look at my grade school records.. All my marks were in the 90's except for that 2nd grade year when my marks were all in red and failing.  Not sure what happened to Miss Seeley, but hopefully she gave up the teaching profession before she scarred anymore little kids.

November 29, 2008, 4:33 pm CST

12/05 School Discipline: Out of Control?

Quote From: skenski

I have taught for over 8 years in an inner city school district located in the mid-west. Although I have heard stories  and seen news reports even locally similar to this show's examples, I have never experienced anything like that in the two schools I have taught at. What I have experienced is so out of control children and such little support from the district or parents I find it very difficult to teach the curriculum outlined by the district and the state. Currently I have 24 students and 3 of them are on specific behavior plans. These plans include tracking sheets that I must stay on top of and record each student's behavior sometimes as often as every 20 minutes! I must also reward behavior that simply complies to school and classroom standards sometimes as often as three times a day. Each student's behavior must be logged daily to document successess and failures. Each student has an agenda and behavior tracking sheets that must be completed with detailed descripitons of behavior for parents to read, sign and have returned daily. I am required to meet monthly with the parents and the team which help to set up these behavior plans. Now on top of this...I have 21 other children I am trying to teach, assess, grade papers, file, complete lesson plans, tutor, prepare for formal observations, and keep up parent contacts with. I do all this with no additional help. We have no aids or PARA's. I work from 6:30 in the morning to 6:30 at night, come in and work work for 5 hours every Saturday, and of course take work home with me every night. Yes, some teacher's and schools are NOT doing what is right by our children. Sometimes that is through poor disciplanary procedures, but most often its because of too much paperwork and too little time actually caring and teaching the children we are given the responsiblility to teach each year.
I so enjoyed reading your response...hopefully everyone following this message board will be given pause by your enlightening information. I have worked with children in inpatient psychiatric settings for over 7 years. Its not uncommon to be hit, kicked and bitten on a daily basis. The cussing is a given. And these are just the 6-8 year old crew:) It is frustrating work in and of itself. Additionally there is frequent criticism about rules and procedures from parents, guardians. From my experience in the area I am impressed by one person's ability to manage 24 children and 24 sets of parents. I appreciate your message and I appreciate your daily efforts!

November 29, 2008, 5:25 pm CST

My Granddaughter

My 2 year old granddaughter was just  recently slap by her daycare teacher. Another teachers aide caught it on her cell phone camera. The daycare center fire both of them. The aide saw it happen before and never reported it.  She waited a week before she reported it this time. My daughter and my son-in-law pressed charges against the teacher they had court two weeks ago the teacher never showed up they made the excuse she didn't know the date of court so they put court off  to another date. They say she may only get a slap on the hand for this.
 I don't know what my son-in-law will do he and my daughter are very upset over this. They have never  even spanked my Grandaughter. She has been at that daycare since she was 6 weeks old,  she is the best  two year old she is so smart  anyone who meets her falls in love with her. I'm not saying that just because she is my grandaughter  she really is special.

November 29, 2008, 8:00 pm CST

Teahcer Power Trips

Quote From: momsemi

When I was in 2nd grade, I had a new teacher named Miss Seeley. I was a fairly shy and quiet little kid.  One day a girl wore a bracelet to school and it turned up missing.  Miss Seeley made us all stay after school till it was found.  This was a new experience and many were crying.  I saw the bracelet under the owner's desk in the back of the room.  Excitedly told the teacher thinking she'd be pleased, and she said: "I should have known it was you who took it".  I was devastated.  I am now 68 and was relating this story during a gathering of old classmates. Tears began pouring down one girl's face.  "I thought she hated me" she said.  This girl had gone out at lunch time and almost been hit by a car.  She came back to the room crying and scared, and Miss Seeley not only wouldn't comfort her, but wouldn't let any of the other students comfort her.  Another girl had transferred into the school from elsewhere and Miss Seeley made her sit at a desk out in the hall.  She also thought she was hated.   This info came out from just a small group of us.  We'll never know how many others thought she hated them too.  At one point after graduation, I worked in the office at the same school and was able to look at my grade school records.. All my marks were in the 90's except for that 2nd grade year when my marks were all in red and failing.  Not sure what happened to Miss Seeley, but hopefully she gave up the teaching profession before she scarred anymore little kids.

How awful! Teachers like that don't realize how deeply they can damage a child's self-esteem, not to mention love of learning. Or maybe such a teacher is on a power trip and enjoys dominating helpless children. Dissatisfied with their own lives, they take it out on their pupils. Disgraceful!

November 30, 2008, 9:50 am CST

12/05 School Discipline: Out of Control?

These bad teachers need to be taught a lesson they need to be fired and in some cases prosicuted.

November 30, 2008, 1:36 pm CST

as a teacher

As a teacher for over 30 years, discipline is lacking in most schools. Administration is afraid of parents going to the Board so they side on the parents. Even though they know that kids know how to manipulate adults, the administration still will not take a stand. Parents foolishly believe 100 % their child instead of looking at 3 sides to a problem. This makes it difficult for teachers to lovingly discipline their students which they need to do to let learnign take place. Misinterpretation is common...think back to when you were young and the discipline you got. How many classrooms were out of control then? Fear of lawsuits is the crime!

November 30, 2008, 6:21 pm CST

School Discipline: Out of Control?

Its not the teachers job, nor is it the schools job to discipline children. That has to start in the home. Even if parent fail to discipline their kids in the home does not mean it becomes a job for our schools. I think teachers who take discipline towards children need to be prosecuted or jailed........

November 30, 2008, 11:37 pm CST

Better Schools

My husband taught Math/Physics for 37 years and he mostly had college-bound students. He retired June of 2001.  He started being a substitute teacher and now he sees how disfuntional many of his students are. There are teachers who have poor skills in handaling students who have no desire to learn. The disruptive students handicap those who want to learn. The schools have too many Chiefs and not enough indians. Schools in Texas have too many coaches.  In general, coaches aren't good teachers. Young people love having a coach in the classroom, that means very little work thus nothing is learned. I wonder what  students would say  if they were asked what Changes they feel would help them to learn more and enjoy their time at school.  Ask the teachers the same question.  Schools need change

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last