Message Boards

Topic : 08/02 Brainwashed Brides

Number of Replies: 85
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 28, 2005, 03:30:32 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original air date 05/03/05) Imagine growing up in a family with 56 siblings and a father who keeps dozens of wives. It's happening in an unusual religious sect in Arizona and Utah, where girls as young as 14 are forced to marry men three times their age and have as many children as possible. Meet two teens who escaped this world of polygamy and alleged abuse a year ago. Fearing that they'll be damned to hell for running away, they're even considering going back. Can Dr. Phil help them leave their past behind? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

Read previous messages in the archived discussion.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 2, 2005, 2:19 pm CDT

child abuse

As far as children services doing their job in helping children in need.....here's my story. 

I had a relative that had 1 child and 2 stepchildren.  These parents were reported to children services (cs) in Indiana on an average of 3 times a week for 2 yrs.  The grandmother and myself made a list of all abuses going on in the home, which was 3 pages long.  CS said there was no way this could be true.  The children confirmed the abuses, but cs catered to the parents.  A partial list was as follows:  padlock on refrigerator, no diapers but paper on floor along side of the dog, if bedwetting u don't bathe & wear the underclothes for a week, stay in their room til 5pm with no toys or tv just bed with no sheets and no food as parents used drugs & slept all day, made to sell drugs, called "worthless" "bastard" etc.  This is just a small sample.  The oldest boy finally refused to go home at age 16 and moved in with his grandmother.  Before he left, his mother had found out that her husband had an affair and said the marriage was over.  She went back to the house to get her things and her husband asked her to come back.  The boy told her "it's me or him, mom."  She chose her husband.  He could never get over the abuse and rejection from his mother.  At age 20, he hung himself.  A few yrs later the oldest girl left home and the youngest became a ward of the state of California.  California CS was amazed, but found out that all the allegations for all the yrs were true.    Dr. Phil, I think you're a great inspiration to everyone, but if you think CS does their job in protecting children, you better think again.  Mammy103

August 2, 2005, 2:20 pm CDT

How can I help?

I am so saddened and sickened by Warren Jeffs and his brand of crap.   How dare he keep another Child of God in a man made submission like that!

I am also a foster Mom and am wondering how I can help these kids get out?  Is there a foundation that helps pay for them to get out and set up in life?  I would gladly open my home to the kids and do whatever it takes to get them stable and in society.

Thanks!
Tonya

August 2, 2005, 2:25 pm CDT

Where will they turn in faith?

My main concern is that these girls don't allow this to shake their faith in God.  I think that Dr. Phil did an good job of telling them that Heavenly Father is a kind forgiving God.  He is merciful and my prayer is that these beautiful women know this, it is faith in a higher being (in my opinion) that makes bad people good and good people better.  USUALLY!!  But it is also a real testament of the faith of these girls that they were able to decipher the difference between right and wrong.  They knew that what was happening was wrong and took a great step with amazing courage by leaving.  Not to mention the sacrifice of family relationships that they had to abandon to do what was right.  I am also very pleased that he addressed the other daughter the relief on her face was moving to me.  I will pray for the best for these wonderful people, but mostly for peace and continued faith in God.

August 2, 2005, 2:41 pm CDT

08/02 Brainwashed Brides

Quote From: baddcatt

One of the young ladies on the show said that they were taught: "If they were to shake a black person's hand, they would turn black." I bet there are millions of white people that wish that's all it took to turn black. They would save billions on tanning beds, tanning pills, lotions, sprays etc.

What a world!!!!!

Mormon teaching is that The "Mark of Cain" is that of black skin. This is of course is an old teaching, there are Mormon's of all races, and it is a teaching that is not taught in most Mormon churches today.  However, with this sect being as fundamental as they are, they would still be teaching that.  Remember there are plenty of teachings in all religions that are no longer followed because we now know they are ridiculous.

I do want to note that  your comment is racist in nature.  I am just as happy with my skin color as you are with yours.  I found your comment offensive and racially insensitive.

August 2, 2005, 3:29 pm CDT

Same Feelings

I know how these girls feel to a certain extent. My background is not that of a polygamist group, however, I was raised in a group that taught a lot of the same things. Outsiders and family that did not attend were not to be associated with, as they would only corrupt you. We were taught that there was no moon landing, nor were there ever any dinosaurs. We were told that creative photography and manufactured skeletons composed both of the prior things. Even after not being in the group anymore, it is still a difficult thing to believe that there were in fact, dinosaurs, and it took about a year and a half to realize that my mind worked on its own, and didn't need to be directed in every single manner. It is very freeing to be able to feel your own feelings, and realize that they are valid. It is also very freeing to make your own decisions, without bouncing them off of a "higher power" in order to see if they are the correct thing to do. You would not believe how big a deal it is, just to be able to take your family on a day trip, without asking permission to do so. It's hard to explain if you have never been in a situation like that. I was practically born into it, so I didn't know the difference of what I was missing. When it all fell apart, it felt like my life had fallen apart, and everything I had stood on for years was suddenly yanked out from under me. It was a very confusing time for me, and I still have some leftover feelings and reactions from it. I completely understand where these girls are coming from, even though our circumstances were not exactly the same.

August 2, 2005, 3:30 pm CDT

Get Over It !!!

Quote From: cgetch

Mormon teaching is that The "Mark of Cain" is that of black skin. This is of course is an old teaching, there are Mormon's of all races, and it is a teaching that is not taught in most Mormon churches today.  However, with this sect being as fundamental as they are, they would still be teaching that.  Remember there are plenty of teachings in all religions that are no longer followed because we now know they are ridiculous.

I do want to note that  your comment is racist in nature.  I am just as happy with my skin color as you are with yours.  I found your comment offensive and racially insensitive.
I don't see why you were offended. I didn't say a word about you! I said there are millions of white people that are patrons to a billion dollar tanning industry. That's a fact! No reflection on you whatsoever. Mainly, I wanted to point out what a ludicrous concept it was to imply that one could change their color by shaking someone's hand. Since the young ladies seemed to be a little uneasy as to whether they made the right decision in leaving the cult, Dr. Phil should have pointed out the fact that he's shook many black people's hands over the years and he's not getting any darker.

August 2, 2005, 3:33 pm CDT

08/02 Brainwashed Brides

Quote From: tonyaah

I am so saddened and sickened by Warren Jeffs and his brand of crap.   How dare he keep another Child of God in a man made submission like that!

I am also a foster Mom and am wondering how I can help these kids get out?  Is there a foundation that helps pay for them to get out and set up in life?  I would gladly open my home to the kids and do whatever it takes to get them stable and in society.

Thanks!
Tonya

I was also in the same place as Fawns were.  Warren Jeffs is a very scary person to be around.

He is a very strong man and can force any one to do his bidding. I ran in fear of being a second wife of a negligent man (who is by the way my older sisters husband).

August 2, 2005, 3:38 pm CDT

What about the law??

Obviously these cult leaders are committing criminal acts. What I want to know is how come they haven't been indited and prosecuted and if not what will it take to get that done?

If it means burying the agencies who should be doing that under a mountain of phone calls and emails until they do something. Let's do it.

Also we need to get the news media like CNN, Fox, etc. involved

August 2, 2005, 3:49 pm CDT

08/02 Brainwashed Brides

Quote From: cgetch

We could always have the CIA tell Pres. Bush that Waren Jeffs is hiding WMD in Colorado AZ.  That is what it took for us to liberate the women who were being oppressed by the Taliban.

It is ridiculous that even today we cannot help women whose rights are clearly being violated because of the bureaucracy that stands in our way. 

I know for fact that Waren Jeffs doesn't just hide in CC. he has hiding places all over the states.

also in  Canada. He's used false ids and even had his cronies raise hell so he could slip through.

He may be there now.

These women are taught that they are free so long as they do as they are told by their "priesthood head". 

August 2, 2005, 3:50 pm CDT

community-centered

Quote From: ftwpalm

I just saw this program for the first time today and I am appalled.  Where are the lawmakers, the protective services people, the womens' support groups??? The practices of this cult are illegal and totally reprehensible.  We are supposedly living in an enlightened society in these United States and these cult controllers are no better than slavemasters!  I am calling for action from the State of Arizona to protect their citizens - these young women and men have no voice!
I myself pondered this question after watching the show.  I came to the tentative conclusion that the men that grow up in these societies proliferate throughout the government and therein leverage control over the authorities.   I commend your efforts to "call to arms" the authorities and District Attorney, but you face a hard road ahead.  I can only imagine the effort already extended by the woman who rescued the girls....she's bound to have tried just about everything to save those girls.  Hopefully, the portrayal on Dr. Phil will cause enough of an outcry to convince the federal authorities that it's time to step in.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last