Message Boards

Topic : 08/02 Brainwashed Brides

Number of Replies: 85
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 28, 2005, 03:30:32 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original air date 05/03/05) Imagine growing up in a family with 56 siblings and a father who keeps dozens of wives. It's happening in an unusual religious sect in Arizona and Utah, where girls as young as 14 are forced to marry men three times their age and have as many children as possible. Meet two teens who escaped this world of polygamy and alleged abuse a year ago. Fearing that they'll be damned to hell for running away, they're even considering going back. Can Dr. Phil help them leave their past behind? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

Read previous messages in the archived discussion.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 14, 2005, 10:01 pm CDT

08/02 Brainwashed Brides

Quote From: trinity1

Considering that the mormons were the ones who fled to Utah to practice polygamy, that you had a leader with plural wives until 1945, the comment is amusing to me.  The modern day FLDS and their offshoots (AUB and others) were founded and led by once devout mormons.  These folks studied their religion and decided to veer back towards the society Joseph Smith Jr, Brigham Young and John Taylor had created and tried to protect.  I recommend studying your religion and using texts besides the History of the Church sold at Deseret Book or the Institute textbook.  You will find the information varies from the sanitized Salt Lake approved version considerably.  And thanks to study and "thinking too much" (as much a crime for the mormons as for their polygamous brothers) I left your church and pray for the same outcome for many. 

I see what you mean.  I have studied my religion.  Maybe not as well as I could I admit. And most people don't study any religion through and through like they should.  Its hard for me to see that people have a misguidance of the mormons because of the word of other people. I think its up to a person to find out for themself to see what a religion is about and then make a say. I served a mission in Michigan, Detriot. And there are many people that I loved that were not fond of our religion but at least they were open hearted to listen to what we had to say, and they would pray about it and some would accept and some wouldn't.   People that I came across would usually brung up polygamy, often times they got us confused with the Amish, and some believed solely what their pastors taught them.  I just think it good to clear up misunderstandings sometimes. And sometimes its up to an individual to find out through prayer.  I would hope that some one that is Catholic or Baptist would clear up their misunderstandings.  Its opportunity that I had on my mission to learn about a lot of religions, I went to different churches,  and this is what cleared up my misunderstandings of religions and gave be assurance this is the church for me.  I am sorry that it could come across as preachy. I am not the type to be pushy and assertive...trust me...but this is my feelings on the subject. And that is why we have message boards to express our feelings. This is what the prophet says today about polygamy,  

What is the Church’s position on polygamy?? 

We are faced these days with many newspaper articles on this subject. This has arisen out of a case of alleged child abuse on the part of some of those practicing plural marriage. 

I wish to state categorically that this Church has nothing whatever to do with those practicing polygamy. They are not members of this Church. Most of them have never been members. They are in violation of the civil law. They know they are in violation of the law. They are subject to its penalties. The Church, of course, has no jurisdiction whatever in this matter. 

If any of our members are found to be practicing plural marriage, they are excommunicated, the most serious penalty the Church can impose. Not only are those so involved in direct violation of the civil law, they are in violation of the law of this Church. An article of our faith is binding upon us. It states, “We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law” (A of F 1:12). One cannot obey the law and disobey the law at the same time. 

There is no such thing as a “Mormon Fundamentalist.” It is a contradiction to use the two words together. 

More than a century ago God clearly revealed unto His prophet Wilford Woodruff that the practice of plural marriage should be discontinued, which means that it is now against the law of God. Even in countries where civil or religious law allows polygamy, the Church teaches that marriage must be monogamous and does not accept into its membership those practicing plural marriage. 

I don't know you and your reasons for leaving the church but I hope you can understand how I feel . :)  

October 21, 2005, 3:44 am CDT

08/02 Brainwashed Brides

If a guy were to shack up with 6 women and live a totally hedonistic lifestyle would that be illegal?  I must admire the fact that there are people who (while they certainly deviate from the norm) are so into families that they practice what has to be described as the original "traditional family". 

October 22, 2005, 4:14 pm CDT

fiannan

Quote From: fiannan

If a guy were to shack up with 6 women and live a totally hedonistic lifestyle would that be illegal?  I must admire the fact that there are people who (while they certainly deviate from the norm) are so into families that they practice what has to be described as the original "traditional family". 

What tradition do you refer to ?Aman who has more than one wife?Thats not tradion at all its sick is what it is.Aman that lives with more than one woman is a male slut !!! Same as a woman would live with more than one man its all so degrading thats all.Illegal yes its illegal and what is there to admire about that.Its plain down right GROSS!!!

October 22, 2005, 9:38 pm CDT

AMAZING

How completely amazing is it that in or seemingly "free" country of  "dignity" and cleverly disguised "freedoms", that this issue has simply fallen between the cracks... How is it possible that we can start a war and free people that are not even of our own race and taxpayers of our country, but not the children that our government pretends to care about?! "NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND" is complete horse shi*.

November 25, 2005, 10:59 am CST

Child abuse

Quote From: mammy103

As far as children services doing their job in helping children in need.....here's my story. 

I had a relative that had 1 child and 2 stepchildren.  These parents were reported to children services (cs) in Indiana on an average of 3 times a week for 2 yrs.  The grandmother and myself made a list of all abuses going on in the home, which was 3 pages long.  CS said there was no way this could be true.  The children confirmed the abuses, but cs catered to the parents.  A partial list was as follows:  padlock on refrigerator, no diapers but paper on floor along side of the dog, if bedwetting u don't bathe & wear the underclothes for a week, stay in their room til 5pm with no toys or tv just bed with no sheets and no food as parents used drugs & slept all day, made to sell drugs, called "worthless" "bastard" etc.  This is just a small sample.  The oldest boy finally refused to go home at age 16 and moved in with his grandmother.  Before he left, his mother had found out that her husband had an affair and said the marriage was over.  She went back to the house to get her things and her husband asked her to come back.  The boy told her "it's me or him, mom."  She chose her husband.  He could never get over the abuse and rejection from his mother.  At age 20, he hung himself.  A few yrs later the oldest girl left home and the youngest became a ward of the state of California.  California CS was amazed, but found out that all the allegations for all the yrs were true.    Dr. Phil, I think you're a great inspiration to everyone, but if you think CS does their job in protecting children, you better think again.  Mammy103

I can also testify to this, being an adult survivor of child abuse.  I was in an out of the fostercare system, hospitals, group homes, ect my whole entire life, but not because of anything my parents did.  At least according to the CS.  I was placed for being out of control.  I hardley ever talked, didnt do drugs, swear, Hid at the first chance i got, didnt break things, but i was *out of control*  I am still trying to figure that one out.  I was beaten daily, i was told i was going to be killed, was spit on, called every name i can think of,  told i was not their child, and was accused of being a satan worshiper,  went to school in pee soaked clothes, and was made to wash the sheets in scalding hot water.  I could go on and on about the things that i endured, these are just a few of the minor things.   I was also molested.  I was punished for it instead of the person that did it.  I have had every thing taken away from me except for one thing.  They can not take my mind away.   I am a survivor, nothing will change that.  CS does not do their job.  I had physical marks on me that were dismised and ignored.  I was sent away to various places and then at 18 expected to function in the real world.  I had skills, but at the same time i didnt.  I chose to do something with my life though.  True, i may not have a highschool diploma, or ged, but that doesnt mean I cant make a difference.  I now run my own community on msn to tell my story.    

I saw a comment by someone asking what they could do to help.  Comming from an adult survivor that has been through the system,  Tell a kid that you love them, or just simply be nice to them.  I cant express how much the little things meant to me.  Things like getting a hug, being tucked in at night, or just sitting and talking.  Let them know that they are special and important.  Color a picture with them.  Go to a game that they are playing in or another activity, most importantly, just show an interest in them.    

December 6, 2005, 9:44 am CST

NEWS ARTICLE

I just read in the news that the Arizona State Board of Education just approved the financial takeover of the Colorado City Unified School District.  Apparently, they were over $2 million in debt.  Teachers were going without pay while the District bought a $200,000 airplane! 

Even though the takeover primarily pertains to the fiscal issues of the school district, I sure hope they are able to get their fingers into the other issues that are happening there.  I believe Dr. Phil reported that many of the girls are pulled from school in order to get married and start raising children.  Hopefully the school district can start enforcing truancy laws. 

Here is the link to the AP article:  http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/nat-gen/2005/dec/06/120607552.html 

Here is the link to the Arizona State Board of Education:  http://www.ade.state.az.us/stateboard   

January 14, 2006, 11:02 am CST

A Little Harsh

Quote From: 101160

well in my eyes your echoing nothing i never heard before thats all. I have had them come to my door thanks .And they weren't just 19-21 yr olds either.I know what i see and hear your not here to see are you?Answer me this why is it only mormons &Jehovahs are the only ones that are feeling the need to spread the word of what they learn.No other denomination does that.We don't .We spread the word to where it blongs among us in our church and at home with our family &friends so why should i have to stand and listen to what i believe not to be through tell me why i should even open my door.To me they are no better than a salesmen and you know how much we all want to see a  salesmen at our door.Not knocking salesmen they need to make a living at this, do you?Would you stand there and listen if i came to your door to spread our word of god?No of course not if you say yes well you are a chosen few because most of the mormons&jehovahs we encounter here are not one bit friendly.They do not wish to take part in our community what soever even nothing none religious .They have been asked to many functions because although we do not agree on the religious part of god well we are all still humans and not once do any attend they turn their noses up if we were a lower class in life, so no you won't change my mind on anything i have encountered by this religion or Jehovah religion  either.You might  may play games well its all games mind games as far as i'm concerned .And as far as this "We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may."That is so true let us worship or way you worship your way thatsall we need to do. that way we don't step on each other's toes.

Hi, 

I can understand that you have had bad experiences with Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses. However, I think that you are making a generalization. I myself am not either or, but I feel that you are being a little judgmental. As a Christian, we should not judge. In reference to your statement..."No other denomination does that.We don't .We spread the word to where it blongs among us in our church and at home with our family &friends so why should i have to stand and listen to what i believe not to be through tell me why i should even open my door." The Word does not just belong in our Churches and family and friends. We are instructed to spread the Word among everyone...especially sinners. If they chose not to listen, move on. You have done your job. But spreading the Word to sinners is how we get people saved. 

March 17, 2006, 4:08 pm CST

hi

Hi everyone 

I just want to say that it would be a better world if we all were more tolerant when we met people from other religions and people who have chosen some other way of living than our selves. Of course we should not compromise our values when it comes to child abuse etc. Those are things of non-religious matter and should be taken care of by the government. I am a Christian myself and I believe in loving my neighbor as myself, as the most important things (also if my neighbor spends all of her day knocking on doors) I am from Denmark (Europe), and there are also Mormons here. But I have never heard of either child abuse or polygamy in that context. As in any other religion there are some who thinks they have the right to do illegal things in the name of their religion. And that is indeed not fair to the others of their religion. Read this: judge those who break the law and let everyone else live their own way.        

August 20, 2006, 3:44 pm CDT

Seen that!

Every year we travel through Colorado City.  It is always bizarre to me how these people live.  There houses are unfinished and are two-stories and boxy.  Apparently, the reason they don't finish the houses is so they do not have to pay the additional taxes when a home is inspected and the certificate of occupancy is issued.  Further, most of these individuals have children of the "husband" but his name is not added to the birth certificate so that they are able to obtain the maximum amount of welfare.  Amazing that we can't stop this.  The women look like they are from "Little House on the Prarie".  They where dresses from the wild west.  It saddens me that they convince these children that this is the only way into "God's house".  The adults are the ones that need to be strung up.

August 29, 2006, 10:42 am CDT

Warren Jeffs arrested

Hello all.  Just ran accross the following news article.  Thought I'd share:

"Alleged polygamist Warren Jeffs arrested"

"LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Warren Steed Jeffs, the fugitive leader of a polygamist Mormon sect and one of the FBI's 10 most wanted, was arrested in a traffic stop outside Las Vegas, the Nevada Highway Patrol said on Tuesday.

Nevada Highway Patrol Lt. Steve Cabrales said Jeffs was apprehended after being pulled over by a trooper on Monday night.

Jeffs, 50, the leader of the Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints, is wanted for the alleged sexual misconduct in Arizona. He is also wanted as an accomplice to rape in Utah.

Jeffs, whose group is estimated to have 10,000 followers, allegedly arranged marriages between older men and underage girls."

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=topNews&storyid=2006-08-29T154832Z_01_N8T409454_RTRUKOC_0_US-CRIME-POLYGAMY.xml&src=rss&rpc=22

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last