Message Boards

Topic : 12/09 Fighting Back

Number of Replies: 209
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, December 05, 2008, 12:46:01 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Would you return a diamond ring if a jeweler gave you the wrong one by mistake? Is it fair for a company to ask an employee to lose weight? Dr. Phil’s guests are fighting back against what they believe are injustices. Eddie says he had already proposed to his fiancée, Ashley, when the jewelry store called and dropped a bombshell. He had accidentally been given another customer’s ring  -- of a much greater value -- and the store wanted it back. Should Eddie be held responsible for the jeweler’s mistake? He finally has his day in court … on Dr. Phil’s stage! Then, Virginia was a bartender for a popular nightspot in Los Angeles, but says her employer asked her to lose five pounds and reassigned her to the kitchen. Virginia says she’s always been a size 6, and the ordeal has damaged her self-confidence. Her attorney Gloria Allred weighs in on gender stereotypes in the workplace. And, Trevor says his neighbor’s dog, Chloe, constantly barks and interrupts his sleep and meditation time. He says the canine has caused him to file several complaints with Animal Control, and he often videotapes Chloe to collect evidence. His neighbors, Ric and Sandy, say Trevor is barking up the wrong tree because he’s the only one in the neighborhood who complains about their pooch. Can these feuding neighbors reach a compromise? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 8, 2008, 7:16 am CST

Dr.Phil

It seems to me the old saying  " Do unto others as you want them to so unto you " is being thrown out the door now a days.  The ring guy would feel different if he was on the other side of this, the one who lost the expensive ring.  It seems that today it is all about forgive the way I put it but Screwing someone over to get there way ans forget about how the other person feels.  I feel the man who won't give back the ring is a very selfish individual.  The one about the dog it is simple, you have a responsibility as neighborers to be nice and get along if the dog is the problem he needs to be taken to a vet,  maybe be closed in at night to ensure quiet time.  I have dogs on both sides of my house and sometimes they bark all night but, there dogs!!  The person complaining needs to stand back and ask them selves are they just being hard to get along  looking for something to complain about or is this really a problem?

December 8, 2008, 10:04 am CST

Yep Yep

This has happened to me with my wedding rings. When we went to pic them up, they showed us them and they looked just like the ones we picked out. They put them in the bag and we left the mall with them. We got home and 3 days later we seen a charge of another $600 on our bank acct from them. I was like WTF. So I call them and they where like you have the wrong rings. I yelled at them of course and asked them why couldnt they call us? I told them they where ours, that they even showed them to us and I tried it on before we left the store with them. They told me the diamond was alittle bit bigger!!! So I went back to the store with them and there mine sits. I didnt leave the store till I made sure "my rings" where really MINE lol. And they put the $600 was put back into my acct. And then told the manager what I really thought of his store and employees. The ring was just like mine, and the diamond was just alittle bit bigger but not enough for me to tell......

December 8, 2008, 3:17 pm CST

INCESSANT DOG BARKING

To the Dog that Barks too much.  My dog used to bark incessantly according to my neighbor that worked

3rd shift.  So I  bought one of those collars that gives a warning the first time the dog barks, then it gives

a little shock the second time.  I am telling you, it works.  I did not like doing it, but I was forced to due to the

possibility of eviction where I live.  You have to be considerate of your neighbors.  They ARE people.  I love my dog dearly, but she is AN ANIMAL and I need a roof over my head.  Everyone has different levels of sleeping.  Just because it's just one person complaining doesn't mean anything.  My neighbor was JUST one person that complained and I complied.  I am glad I did.  My dog stopped the incessant barking.  The battery runs down and the dog will still NOT bark because they remember.  So it's not as cruel as you may think.  Go to Petsmart or any other Pet Store to buy it.  They are LESS than $50. with batteries.  Good luck.  I care about EVERYONE including animals.  C in Kent, Ohio

December 9, 2008, 12:20 am CST

12/09 Fighting Back

Quote From: unclemtl

Whether you like it or not, looks matter when it comes to certain jobs. The waitress or bartender I would say get hired because they have the requisit skills and looked sexy. It's part of the business just as many sales representatives for pharamcutical companies are ex-cheerleaders or models because attractive people have influence over other people and people want to be liked by attractive people. Do you think Fox News has attractive and very sexy female news reporters by chance. Do you notice any female reporters on Fox News or CNN who aren't attractive and slim. How about a reatiler that caters to the hip crowd, any overweight sales reps?

Whether it is legal or not to discriminate with regards to weight and looks is beyond the scopr of this topic, but to be honest it probably is illegal. That said, sexy slim women and men in public and service jobs are what the public wants to see and what affetcs there purchasing patterns. It's just business and the way the average I believe the average North American person views the world.

Now is that to say that your less valuable as a person because you aren't slim and sexy. Absolutely not! A person is made up from their character and personality and their looks. Defining a person just by their looks is shallow. But from a busniess perspective, where a person works at a job where working for or with the public I would say the attractiveness of the person afftects sales figures and the success of the business. 

I do agree with you that looks are important according to the job you have. It's ridiculous to believe otherwise. For instance you wouldn't want to be served by a scruffy waitress or shop assistant, it's a complete turnoff. But, I don't think weight is a problem, except for extreme cases/health issues. I really think people feel comfortable around overweight people I do anyway and it's disgraceful to discriminate against anyone who happens to have a few extra pounds.

However, you mentioned reporters from Fox News & CNN - what about Greta von Susteren ? I don't think she's sexy she's spooky and Fionnuala (can't remember her last name) who reports from CNN London she isn't exactly slim (don't go on a diet whatever you do - stay as you are !) but that's ok.

December 9, 2008, 1:33 am CST

Ring

This couple's behavior seems to be typical of my / their generation. It's absolutely pathetic that no one called out these 2 people on the show. No one! How dare they think what they did was okay? You wouldn't buy a Toyota and then pickup a Lexus the next day and say, Oh, well, not my problem, would you? THEY, the couple, should have initiated talks to the jeweler about a payment plan. I cannot believe Dr. Phil is paying the balance for these scoundrels and giving them a nice dinner. These little children learned nothing and will go about their life thinking they can get away with not being HONEST, ETHICAL people. I honestly believe you get what you give.

December 9, 2008, 5:10 am CST

Wrong ring

Out of the six posts relating to the 'wrong ring' story, four of those suggested that the couple give the ring back. I therefore find the figures for the poll misleading where supposedly some 61 % of people polled agreed that they should keep the ring.

Other than that I think they were wrong to keep the ring, mistake or not it's not their property and my guess is that the guy knew it was the wrong one at the time. I think that he, his fiancé and his fiancé's mother acted in really bad faith and his refusal to attend court shows his blatant disregard for the law as well as for other people. His and his fiancé's testimony contained many discrepancies, indeed I would say if this case were brought before Judge Judy she would certainly not have let them off so lightly. I think that if they had brought the ring back immediately when first contacted by the jeweller,  they would have been in a better position to negotiate some sort of equitable settlement at the time, at least I would like to think so. Dr Phil, you're a pushover, I'm sorry to say.

December 9, 2008, 6:38 am CST

I love Gloria

I am so glad that Dr. Phil is going to be having her on the show again(although work today may prevent me from watching it unfortunetly).  Favorite lawyer ever! Gloria, keep fighting the good fight for us women!

December 9, 2008, 6:48 am CST

12/09 Fighting Back

Dr. Phil, I am afraid you have been gone from Texas too long to believe that the couple was entitled to that ring.  They were entitled to the one they paid for.  If the shoe had been on the other foot, the couple would have been in court ASAP.  Further, they knew they were wrong and looking for a windfall.  They should have paid the entire $800+ and maybe even thirty days jail time for theft.

And the woman did not get attached to that ring in a couple of minutes.

December 9, 2008, 6:49 am CST

I'll say amen to that !

Quote From: aidracorp

This couple's behavior seems to be typical of my / their generation. It's absolutely pathetic that no one called out these 2 people on the show. No one! How dare they think what they did was okay? You wouldn't buy a Toyota and then pickup a Lexus the next day and say, Oh, well, not my problem, would you? THEY, the couple, should have initiated talks to the jeweler about a payment plan. I cannot believe Dr. Phil is paying the balance for these scoundrels and giving them a nice dinner. These little children learned nothing and will go about their life thinking they can get away with not being HONEST, ETHICAL people. I honestly believe you get what you give.
You're absolutely right, these people have no moral code. They will probably get a taste of their own medicine one of these days.

December 9, 2008, 7:16 am CST

get over it

I think the ring situation is ridiculous!  Give back the ring and move on or pay the difference.  If you wanted the bigger diamond you should have picked one out.  How annoying, people can be so ignorant.  I think this topic is waste of our time to watch.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last