Message Boards

Topic : 12/09 Fighting Back

Number of Replies: 209
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, December 05, 2008, 12:46:01 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Would you return a diamond ring if a jeweler gave you the wrong one by mistake? Is it fair for a company to ask an employee to lose weight? Dr. Phil’s guests are fighting back against what they believe are injustices. Eddie says he had already proposed to his fiancée, Ashley, when the jewelry store called and dropped a bombshell. He had accidentally been given another customer’s ring  -- of a much greater value -- and the store wanted it back. Should Eddie be held responsible for the jeweler’s mistake? He finally has his day in court … on Dr. Phil’s stage! Then, Virginia was a bartender for a popular nightspot in Los Angeles, but says her employer asked her to lose five pounds and reassigned her to the kitchen. Virginia says she’s always been a size 6, and the ordeal has damaged her self-confidence. Her attorney Gloria Allred weighs in on gender stereotypes in the workplace. And, Trevor says his neighbor’s dog, Chloe, constantly barks and interrupts his sleep and meditation time. He says the canine has caused him to file several complaints with Animal Control, and he often videotapes Chloe to collect evidence. His neighbors, Ric and Sandy, say Trevor is barking up the wrong tree because he’s the only one in the neighborhood who complains about their pooch. Can these feuding neighbors reach a compromise? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 13, 2008, 5:16 pm CST

Dr Phil you were wrong

How can Mr. Accountability turn around and not only not hold the couple accountability for stealing a ring. This was stealing You could not go into a jewelry store and take a different ring and claim I have attachment to it and then expect everybody to go OK . You reward there crying and whining with paying for the ring and buying dinner. I was just married on Wednesday December 10. On the fifth of December I was told the ring I want and was having resized would not be available for my wedding day. Should I have gone into the jewelry case and taken a different one of greater value and then say take that I am attached to this ring .

Dr Phil you were soooooooo wrong. You teach to not be a right fighter. they were right fighters and you just help them . For shame.

December 14, 2008, 12:41 am CST

Good for you!

Quote From: cynt1006

How can Mr. Accountability turn around and not only not hold the couple accountability for stealing a ring. This was stealing You could not go into a jewelry store and take a different ring and claim I have attachment to it and then expect everybody to go OK . You reward there crying and whining with paying for the ring and buying dinner. I was just married on Wednesday December 10. On the fifth of December I was told the ring I want and was having resized would not be available for my wedding day. Should I have gone into the jewelry case and taken a different one of greater value and then say take that I am attached to this ring .

Dr Phil you were soooooooo wrong. You teach to not be a right fighter. they were right fighters and you just help them . For shame.

Congratulations on you marriage. Finally someone with some integrity and intelligence. I hope you have many good years and raise well adjusted honest children.....You are an asset to our society

December 14, 2008, 11:55 am CST

Dr. Phil, this show was just wrong!!!

Quote From: chercope

Congratulations on you marriage. Finally someone with some integrity and intelligence. I hope you have many good years and raise well adjusted honest children.....You are an asset to our society

First, I'm a faithful Dr. Phil fan -  record all of your shows and I have a ball anticipating how Dr. Phil is going to call someone out for being greedy, ignorant, rude, etc., all in his respectful, positive way.  This is the first episode I've watched that made me wonder whether we're running out of relevant topics and whether Dr. Phil did much research or really took a look at all sides of the issues here. 

Specifically, was the question ever asked whether these people would have returned that ring if it had been worth LESS than their own ring?  Really, the question should be, 'Exactly how fast would you have returned that ring?' My guess would be that the ring would have been returned the same day, when the store called the guy.   I was shocked that Dr. Phil put the store owners on the spot to accept half and then rewarded the "wronged" with a nice dinner and by paying their portion.  That wasn't fair.  Next...  The weight loss issue was settled before going to court and the woman was given her bartending job back.  I have two problems with this segment.  (1) Why is Gloria allowed to interrupt and not let the other lawyer finish his statements?  Wrong. Let her sit quietly while the other attorney has his say.  (2) And then Dr. Phil should call Gloria and the bartender for seeing dollar signs and bringing on an additional lawsuit after their initial claim was handled.  Maybe there wasn't enough publicity, or maybe they just see dollar signs - but I wonder how money will help this woman with her self-esteem or other problems caused by being told to lose a few pounds.    Finally, the dog.  It's extremely annoying when dogs won't stop barking.  To go to live footage of the dog lying placidly while he was being petted was just disrespectful to the man who complained about the barking.  Are you KIDDING ME?  I'm sorry, Dr. Phil, but this show just felt wrong from start to finish.

December 16, 2008, 12:29 pm CST

Eddie and Ashley - Just one question.

Now for some reason I don't know why Dr. Phil didn't ask this question. Im sure it would of answered alot of questions about Eddie and Ashley...

So Eddie says the bigger/wrong ring they received has sentimental value after what? 12 hours?

My question is this... IF they received a ring that was smaller then the one they (setup financing for) didnt actually pay for it, would it have the same sentimental value?"

Id bet my place it heaven, if they received a ring smaller then what they setup financing for, that ring would be returned within 30 minutes of the first phone call from the store......Not to mention the other couple involved. Eddie, Ashley, the mother, and even Dr. Phil never even talked about the other couple, who PAID for that ring, no one says a damn thing... So shallow, gutless and heartless... How about them? They paid for a ring that payment man Eddie received....

But we all seen right through that couple. Just so they know, what goes around comes around.... It may not be today or tomorrow, but it allllllllllllllllll comes back.

December 19, 2008, 11:23 am CST

Dispute over Engagement Ring

This is the first time in all the seasons of the Dr. Phil show I have felt compelled enough to immediately get up and register at the website just so I could post a message.  I think Dr. Phil was absolutely wrong for paying the agreed cost difference on the ring.  The nice celebratory dinner was a bit much, but picking up the tab for the ring was way over the top.  Just from the material discussed during the show, it seemed obvious this young couple was not being mature, fiscally responsible or open to any compromise. To me they seemed a perfect example of what is wrong with most young adults these days.  The attitude of "I am right, I am entitled, and I don't need to be responsible" was positively reinforced by Dr. Phil's gracious act of paying for this to "help them out".  Dr. Phil, I think you went against your own advice and actually ENABLED this couple.  I don't think they learned a thing except that when situations are not to your liking, someone will bail you out - just sit back and wait for it.

December 19, 2008, 9:05 pm CST

Barking dog

I agree with Trevor 100%.  We had a neighbor with a dog that was let out to potty at 6am which promptly started barking. They would leave for work at 7 leaving the dog outside all day to bark continually. We have double pain windows and still would not drowned out the sound. We could not have our windows open during the day as we could not even hear our TV with all the barking. After several talks with the neighbors and turning them over to authorities they finally got rid of the dog. Sure is nice to have our windows open once again. Hopefully the dog whisperer will help Chloe.

December 20, 2008, 9:33 am CST

bad solution

I was extremely disappointed in Dr.Phil’s solution to the couple who wanted to keep a ring they had received by mistake.

Just because the jewelry store is a business does not mean that somebody at that business is not going to suffer a personal sacrifice.

Supposedly, the man’s engagement was so important to him, yet when he stopped in to get the ring, he did not even recognize that this was not his own ring, which he picked out himself.

Before he even presented the ring to his girlfriend, he should have double checked to make sure it was the right ring.  How could it have sentimental value if it was not even the ring that he had chosen for her?  Some man with better taste had picked that ring out for HIS gal.

That couple deserves each other because they are crooks.  That is a real nice way to start out a marriage – with somebody else’s ring that they basically stole.

The answer is easy.  Do you want the ring and is this ring worth the original price asked?  If not, either give the ring back or pay the difference.

Shame on you, Dr.Phil.  By buying that ring, you have encouraged this dishonest couple, and cheated that jewelry store out of part of the money they were supposed to make on that sale.  If you were going to purchase that ring, why not pay the full price to the jewelry store?  You could afford that.  Some hero.

March 5, 2009, 3:28 am CST

Cesar Millan

This show aired today in norway...

And i love the DrPhil show, but today.. Im so disappointed.. How could you bring in that man having the education you have? Learning theory is the same for dogs as in humans..

July 1, 2009, 4:20 pm CDT

Sickeningly immature

Me too... registered on this site straight after watching this show about the diamond ring (aired in the Netherlands today) as we were so disgusted that not only did Dr. Phil let the couple get away with their childish, lame, emotionally immature responses and not turning up in court, twice, nor negotiating with the jewellers, but he even DUPED the jewellers even more by bargaining their loss to half, then excusing the couple from ANY payment by paying FOR them! WHY would you do that dr Phil?? They do NOT deserve to be rewarded for illegally keeping what was not theirs but another couple´s possession! They are a selfish and shallowminded couple. I am VERY surprised about Dr Phil because he is always so pent up on advocating that the wedding is not the main thing, it is the MARRIAGE that matters. I was hoping to hear him say in this instance that it is not the ring that has any value, but the GESTURE, their love, the proposal, whatever. I agree with the other comment, if they had received a SMALLER stone by mistake, they would have sang a completely different tune. Shame on Dr Phil, this time, for not educating these disguised thiefs. Ethics would ask that, if he insisted that the couple were right in keeping the ring, which isn´t in my opinion the case but that aside,  he had refunded the jewellers for their damages, instead of duping them even further. They won in court and another couple did not get the correct ring. Nothing is right about this.

First | Prev | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | Next Page | Last Page