Message Boards

Topic : 12/09 Fighting Back

Number of Replies: 209
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, December 05, 2008, 12:46:01 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Would you return a diamond ring if a jeweler gave you the wrong one by mistake? Is it fair for a company to ask an employee to lose weight? Dr. Phil’s guests are fighting back against what they believe are injustices. Eddie says he had already proposed to his fiancée, Ashley, when the jewelry store called and dropped a bombshell. He had accidentally been given another customer’s ring  -- of a much greater value -- and the store wanted it back. Should Eddie be held responsible for the jeweler’s mistake? He finally has his day in court … on Dr. Phil’s stage! Then, Virginia was a bartender for a popular nightspot in Los Angeles, but says her employer asked her to lose five pounds and reassigned her to the kitchen. Virginia says she’s always been a size 6, and the ordeal has damaged her self-confidence. Her attorney Gloria Allred weighs in on gender stereotypes in the workplace. And, Trevor says his neighbor’s dog, Chloe, constantly barks and interrupts his sleep and meditation time. He says the canine has caused him to file several complaints with Animal Control, and he often videotapes Chloe to collect evidence. His neighbors, Ric and Sandy, say Trevor is barking up the wrong tree because he’s the only one in the neighborhood who complains about their pooch. Can these feuding neighbors reach a compromise? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 9, 2008, 11:37 am CST

Be a responsible dog owner

If my dog barks when she is outside, we check to see what she's barking at. Then if she won't quiet down, we bring her in. No dog should be left outside when the owner's are not home (unless you live far from neighbors and the dog has adequate shelter). Too many things can happen. It is irresponsible and rude to run the risk of the dog barking and disturbing the neighborhood, not to mention the fact the dog could be injured or harmed in some way when you are not around. Calling the neighbor a dog hater because he wants some quiet and you are not home to ensure your dog behaves is just wrong. Get over yourselves people, you live in a neighborhood with other people. That comes with some responsibilities!

December 9, 2008, 12:19 pm CST

Absolutely!!!

Quote From: nickajax

The guy who got the wrong engagement ring should absolutely return it! I can't see why he wouldn't!

I bet if the shoe was on the other foot and he had gotten the lesser value ring he would have wanted to swap back pronto!

I agree completely...if he got a ring worth $600 less he would have taken it back and complained.

They have someone else's ring, they didn't show up for court, they worry about sentimental value but in fact have tainted the start of their marrige by lying and stealing another couples ring.

They got everything they wanted...Mommy called the store for them, they didn't want to go to court so they just didn't show up and Dr Phil paid their bill so they get to keep the other couples ring and did absolutely nothing themselves.  Luckily they can run to mommy or Dr Phil when they have a problem instead of resolving it themselves.

These two children need to grow up if they plan to have an adult relationship together.

December 9, 2008, 12:29 pm CST

That was nice of Dr. Phil...

but I would not have paid the $320 for that couple.  Maybe I'm being a bit insensitive, and I don't mean to be, but my feeling is that the couple should've given the ring back and gotten the ring they actually paid for.  It was obvious (which I'm sure the husband probably realized when he got the wrong ring) that the jeweler was trying to right the wrong by contacting the couple as soon as the mistake was realized.

Had the roles been reversed, and the couple received a ring that was valued ~$600 less than what they'd paid, there is no doubt that the couple would've wanted the jeweler to give them the ring they'd actually purchased.

I just think the couple was being unreasonable and selfish for not wanting to swap the ring out.  Afterall, the ring shouldn't be the driver for what made the engagement night memorable.

I applaude Dr. Phil for agreeing to pay the difference, but in my opinion, the couple should've handled this situation in a more professional rather than an emotional manner.

December 9, 2008, 12:36 pm CST

are you kidding me!?

This is my first ever post to Dr. Phil.  I usually appreciate his no nonsense and honest approach to his guests and their various dilemmas.  However, today his reaction to the young couple with the wrong engagement ring has me flabbergasted.  To me it was a no brainer, the young man said himself that the diamond looked bigger than he expected.  The store tried to make contact to rectify the mistake as soon as it was realized.  The honest and right thing for this young couple to have done was to take the ring back, get the correct ring, and add the experience to their memories of the engagement.  They could have laughed about the whole thing and had a great story to tell their children of how Daddy had to propose twice.  The girls mother's response was unbelievable.  And, then to add insult to injury you paid their balance on the ring because they seem like such nice young people.  And, you sent them out for dinner!!!  Well, gee whiz, let's reward dishonest behaviour.  I would not be able to live with myself knowing that the ring on my finger was worth $600.00 more than I paid for it! 

Maybe I am too honest, but I would never keep extra change and I sure wouldn't keep a diamond I hadn't paid for.  In fact, I once went back to a supermarket when I realized they had not scanned my Thanksgiving turkey, and paid for it.

December 9, 2008, 12:40 pm CST

Theft

Why would someone want to get engaged with a ring that was obtained by, at best, mistake.  Wasn't the ring they picked out special to them?  Wanting to profit off of the mistake of others is wrong.  Dr. Phil's part in the wrong was disheartening.

December 9, 2008, 12:40 pm CST

Fighting Back

Quote From: rexmom

The problem I have with the engagement ring story is that when the young man went to pick up the ring, I'm sure he looked at it before he left the store.  He said it was very similiar to the ring he ordered except the diamond was larger. I believe he knew it wasn't his ring, but took it anyhow.  It made me really upset that Dr. Phil offered to pay the difference for the ring.  I feel for the couple whose ring it actually was. 
I'd like to see how sentimental they would be about the ring if they got a smaller ring then the one they purchased. I bet they would run back and exchange it right away. It bothered me also that Dr. Phil thought they were in the right and paid the difference for them.

December 9, 2008, 12:41 pm CST

Engagement ring

Oh my goodness!!!  Can you say out and out stealing?? I am sure these folks knew that they had the wrong ring and the only right thing to do was to TAKE IT BACK.  I cannot believe that 63% of people supported taking advantage of someone else's error.  I am sure if the jeweler had made a mistake and given them a ring of lesser value than the one they picked out they would have been RUNNING  back to the store to fix it.  I am soooooooo disappointed in Dr. Phil who I depend on to tell folks "like it is", for not letting these guys know that they are dead wrong.  Also, how much sentimental value can a ring that you have had for one day  AND not the one that the TWO of you picked out really have??  If my husband could afford to buy me a bigger diamond than the one I have now, I would not want it because the ring I have is the one that he picked out and the one that has the love in it.  I don't know how the bride in good conscience can wear a stolen, yes I said stolen ring and feel good about it.  STOP HAVING A CRY BABY TANTRUM AND GIVE THOSE PEOPLE BACK THEIR PROPERTY.

December 9, 2008, 12:45 pm CST

The ring

Wow....what happened to honesty in this country.  I heard you mention the percentages of people who were polled for this question.  More than half would never give the ring back.  I am shocked by this.  If he didn't notice the ring was different than ok but he did get a follow up call that he refused to return.  Instead he gets his mother in law to call.  What a coward.  As a woman that would have bothered me more than a band of metal around my finger.  How will he handle other big issues for us as a couple?  Run to my mother to solve them?   I really think these two knew that they had a better deal going on and decided to play the "sentimental" card.  A ring is only a material item.  The moment and the words spoken in the proposal are what matter the most.  Those you can never take from someone.  I think the negotiations were a good idea but for Dr. Phil to pick up the tab I don't agree with that at all.  My husband bought my ring and wouldn't give it to me till he had paid for all of it.  It took him a year but there was no credit card used.  I didn't even know he was buying it, I just wondered what took him so long to propose.  This so called "Man" needs to decline your offer (except for the dinner out was nice) and pay the balance of the ring himself.  No more boo hooing!!!!

December 9, 2008, 12:49 pm CST

Bartender Virginia

Ok.. First I agree to an extent on this situation, I agree that 5 lbs. can fluxuate between different times of the month and for an employer to move you over 5 lbs. is ridiculus. However, I feel that its completely ridiculous that you are on a "medical leave" because of stress about the situation.  I have personally had a similar situation happen to myself. I have alot of self-confidence and said to myself that i could get a better job and put these horrid employers in the past. I think this situation was taken to the extreme and make it look like all women are just looking for an easy way to complain about not being equal to men.  MEN AND WOMEN ARE NOT THE SAME, there are things women can do that men can't and vice versa  If God wanted us all to be equally the same in every way, we would all look the same naked.. Really I agree and disagree with you, I agree that it sucks that you had awful employers, and feel saddened that everything can be a lawsuit these days...

December 9, 2008, 12:51 pm CST

Gloria Alred is too rude for TV.

I wish Dr Phil would have asked Virginia to think back to the day she applied for her bartending job. Were there any overweight 40 year-old women applying? Did Virginia say, "Oh my! You have 20 years more bartending experience than I do -- you should have this job -- it's only fair."

I doubt it. Virginia knows she got this job because of her youth and beauty. She and Gloria Alred weren't concerned about fairness to women when looksism was working in her favor.

No, Gloria, women shouldn't lose jobs because they gain five pounds but they shouldn't get jobs because they're a size six, in the first place. Somewhere, in the kitchen of that restaurant, is a fat middle aged woman, making minimum wage, working her fingers to the bone over the deep fryer. I'll save my sympathy for her.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last