Message Boards

Topic : 12/09 Fighting Back

Number of Replies: 209
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, December 05, 2008, 12:46:01 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Would you return a diamond ring if a jeweler gave you the wrong one by mistake? Is it fair for a company to ask an employee to lose weight? Dr. Phil’s guests are fighting back against what they believe are injustices. Eddie says he had already proposed to his fiancée, Ashley, when the jewelry store called and dropped a bombshell. He had accidentally been given another customer’s ring  -- of a much greater value -- and the store wanted it back. Should Eddie be held responsible for the jeweler’s mistake? He finally has his day in court … on Dr. Phil’s stage! Then, Virginia was a bartender for a popular nightspot in Los Angeles, but says her employer asked her to lose five pounds and reassigned her to the kitchen. Virginia says she’s always been a size 6, and the ordeal has damaged her self-confidence. Her attorney Gloria Allred weighs in on gender stereotypes in the workplace. And, Trevor says his neighbor’s dog, Chloe, constantly barks and interrupts his sleep and meditation time. He says the canine has caused him to file several complaints with Animal Control, and he often videotapes Chloe to collect evidence. His neighbors, Ric and Sandy, say Trevor is barking up the wrong tree because he’s the only one in the neighborhood who complains about their pooch. Can these feuding neighbors reach a compromise? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 9, 2008, 12:53 pm CST

about the engagement ring ....

That couple were cheats looking to make out due to someone else's mistake.  All that business about being served?  Once they asked for and got a continuance, how in the world could they think they *now* could not show up and it would be a good strategy?

Although, due to Dr. Phil's enabling -- it turns out is was.

Dr. Phil should be so very proud of himself.  Knowing that he intended to pay if the couple and the jewelry store agreed on a compromise ...... he got the jewelry store to agree to an even smaller amount!  From the $600-something down to $500 ... and then with Dr. Phil's intervention --- to $300-something! 

Good going, Dr. Phil ----- you can join the dishonest couple in knowing you also cheated the jewelry store.

And ITA w/all who brought up the very excellent point --- just how quick would the couple have been to insist on keeping the ring for "sentimental" reasons if the clerk at the jewelry store had given them a ring worth $600 LESS than they expected to get?    

December 9, 2008, 12:59 pm CST

12/09 Fighting Back

Hi there! the majority of my neighbourhood owns a dog. We, ourselves have one who does not bark. But, I get that a noisy dog can be annoying. On the other hand, if a dog is left outside during the day for a few hours and barks during those hours, I believe this should be tolerated. The dog is in her own yard, minding her own business, and then, here comes the neighbour with the camera? I think that is pathetic! Dogs bark - as long as they bark within a reasonable time of day, then, this man should really get over it - To actually have time to get the video camera out to video tape his neighbour's dog is pretty excessive - did it even occur to him that maybe the dog reacted to his being there leering through the camera lense? Anyhow, I believe this guy needs to get real! IfWhat is one of his neighbours has a baby and the baby cries, while in the back yard, will this guy go and video tape the baby and ask the baby stops crying? Give me a break - with all that is going on in the world - wars, and the economy, etc. this guy is worried about a dog who barks during the day in the morning, twice a month? Get real, buddy!

December 9, 2008, 1:16 pm CST

kids ,dogs....... act different around owners

I worked at a house with two weiner dogs that barked all the time that the owner was around, but when she was gone the dogs just laid around and you never knew that they were there, even when delivery divers knock on the door. The owner could not believe it until  her friend was painting and told her the same thing.

December 9, 2008, 1:21 pm CST

Excuse for not paying what was due

I understand the sentimental value but if this young couple can not be graceful toward someone who made a mistake how would they be able to extend that to each other which is very important in a marriage.

People make mistakes, this company did, but it is still our moral responsability to do the right thing and that would have been to pay the difrerence or give it back.

December 9, 2008, 1:22 pm CST

Ashley, you're wearing ANOTHER WOMAN'S ring.

Ashley,

I get it. But the fact is that you're now wearing ANOTHER WOMAN'S engagement ring. Ewwww.......

AND, knowing the sentimental value that YOU admit this rings has, why on EARTH would you want to inflict that kind of pain on another woman????? How unbelievable selfish of you.

I REPEAT, YOU'RE WEARING ANOTHER WOMAN'S ENGAGMENT RING. GROSS!

December 9, 2008, 1:22 pm CST

I agree

Quote From: navine724

That couple were cheats looking to make out due to someone else's mistake.  All that business about being served?  Once they asked for and got a continuance, how in the world could they think they *now* could not show up and it would be a good strategy?

Although, due to Dr. Phil's enabling -- it turns out is was.

Dr. Phil should be so very proud of himself.  Knowing that he intended to pay if the couple and the jewelry store agreed on a compromise ...... he got the jewelry store to agree to an even smaller amount!  From the $600-something down to $500 ... and then with Dr. Phil's intervention --- to $300-something! 

Good going, Dr. Phil ----- you can join the dishonest couple in knowing you also cheated the jewelry store.

And ITA w/all who brought up the very excellent point --- just how quick would the couple have been to insist on keeping the ring for "sentimental" reasons if the clerk at the jewelry store had given them a ring worth $600 LESS than they expected to get?    

They behaved like the immature couple that they seem to be.

December 9, 2008, 1:25 pm CST

I don't get Dr. Phil's answer

Quote From: juliekope

Hello all...Am I totally not getting it?  Seriously, if you were given something that wasn't yours...First of all, wouldn't you notice?  If so, maybe you would try to keep it and hope for the best thinking you struck it "rich".  I guess we're all human!  Many of us would automatically return the item honestly.  Either way, it's NOT yours, right.  I won't place judgement.

However, if you were approached and requested to return the wrong item for the one you actually paid for...DUH!!!  Again, it's not yours.  How can you even attempt to dispute the proper, legal, whatever action!  IT'S NOT YOURS!  GIVE IT BACK!!!  This is ridiculous.  And these people are agreeing to go on the show and be idiots in front of the entire world!???!!!  What a joke!

I can't believe he did not notice that it was a different ring unless it was the exact setting and similar stone size of the one he purchased. If it was so special when he picked it out he would have noticed he was given the wrong ring. I feel like they rewarded them for missing court dates and taking the wrong ring.

December 9, 2008, 1:26 pm CST

Gloria's Story

I've had the same thing happen to me. My boss told me that I needed to wear more make-up when I came to work because I was selling myself! I work at a furniture store. I'm selling furniture, not my body. Needless to say, he doesn't work there anymore!

December 9, 2008, 1:29 pm CST

The Engagement Ring

I think that the couple who was given the wrong engagement right should be able to keep it with no charge whatsoever.

It was entirely the fault of the jewelry store! How did they mess it up? That's their job! Yes people make mistakes, however giving someone the wrong engagement ring and then asking for it back is an inexcusable, irreplaceable mistake to make and the jewelry store should have to just write that one off as a loss.

You're telling me that he doesn't make enough to excuse $600 of his OWN mistake?

And just like Dr. Phil said, doesn't it cost even more to take them to court?!

And like the couple said, it's not about a piece of metal, it's about love - the ring had sentimental value!

if YOU had to give your engagement ring back how would you feel?!

I don't have one yet but that would be a PREEEEETTY crummy feeling!

December 9, 2008, 1:31 pm CST

Ashley, you're wearing ANOTHER WOMAN'S ring!

Ashley, the fact of the matter is that you're wearing another woman's engagement ring. GROSS!!

And if you admit that the ring has sentimental value then WHY ON EARTH would you keep another woman's ring and subject HER to the fact that another woman is wearing HER RING??? How SELFISH of you!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last