Message Boards

Topic : 12/09 Fighting Back

Number of Replies: 209
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, December 05, 2008, 12:46:01 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Would you return a diamond ring if a jeweler gave you the wrong one by mistake? Is it fair for a company to ask an employee to lose weight? Dr. Phil’s guests are fighting back against what they believe are injustices. Eddie says he had already proposed to his fiancée, Ashley, when the jewelry store called and dropped a bombshell. He had accidentally been given another customer’s ring  -- of a much greater value -- and the store wanted it back. Should Eddie be held responsible for the jeweler’s mistake? He finally has his day in court … on Dr. Phil’s stage! Then, Virginia was a bartender for a popular nightspot in Los Angeles, but says her employer asked her to lose five pounds and reassigned her to the kitchen. Virginia says she’s always been a size 6, and the ordeal has damaged her self-confidence. Her attorney Gloria Allred weighs in on gender stereotypes in the workplace. And, Trevor says his neighbor’s dog, Chloe, constantly barks and interrupts his sleep and meditation time. He says the canine has caused him to file several complaints with Animal Control, and he often videotapes Chloe to collect evidence. His neighbors, Ric and Sandy, say Trevor is barking up the wrong tree because he’s the only one in the neighborhood who complains about their pooch. Can these feuding neighbors reach a compromise? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 6, 2008, 3:51 pm CST

12/09 Fighting Back

For 3 years we put up with a neighbor who would leave home & put the dogs out to bark all evening.  We told her politely many times that they were barking & driving us crazy & she didn't listen.  It got to the point we hated going home after work because we knew we'd be listening to dogs until 10-11pm.  I finally turned it over to the HOA & she was livid!   She called us yelling & screaming that we should have called her about the problem.   I told her that we'd been telling her for months but I also agreed  to call her EVERYTIME they were out barking for more than an hour.  From that point on I called her every hour (after 6pm) - I would put the phone out the window so she could hear them barking.   After about 4 days she quit putting the dogs out & leaving home!!!     It seems that people with dogs never consider that people without dogs don't want to have the barking - if we did we'd all have dogs!!!!

December 6, 2008, 4:31 pm CST

Chloe the Dog/wrong ring delivered

In the case of the Diamond given to the man and his refusing to give it back, I need to know was it delivered by the store to the fiancee? If he picked it up himself, he knew it was the wrong ring and in my book is a thief.

In the case of Chloe, The owner of the dog is responsible to keep his dog quiet, keep his dog off others lawns, and to clean up any mess his dog makes where ever it happens.  I would be ashamed if my dog bothered people. We(my wife and I) have had Dachshunds for 55 years. There may be a more stubborn dog to train, but I haven't found one.  It takes work and cooperation of the 2 people that have the dog so that the dog doesn't get the wrong signal.  I am proud to take our dog any where. He is a perfect gentleman.

December 6, 2008, 4:44 pm CST

Doctor Phil Show.

Back Doctor  Fight Ing Phil/Robin. That is new one on me but anyway I like it alot. See you on Tuesday-------

December 09th, 2008.  Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.---------------------------------------------------------------

December 6, 2008, 6:14 pm CST

Go For It

I am all for fighting for what you feel is unjust...just remember to pick your battles.  Research your arguments so that you know what you're talking about.

I had to go up against the judicial system in my town of Hollister, CA.  Police officers (and sergeants) refused to enforce civil and criminal restraining orders because they claim they would be civilly liable if they read it incorrectly.  They also refused to enforce a violation of the order because I "couldn't prove" he drove into my cul-de-sac with the intent to drive by my home...honestly, the list goes on.

I read up on the laws and fired off emails quoting the codes necessary to prove the police where derelict in their duties to protect me.  I also wrote to the city attorney and the probation department (who allowed him to go to our boys' daycare while on house arrest...during my usual pick up time).

Keep addressing the issues you know are unfair, arm yourself with information and keep climbing the ladder until someone takes notice.  You may feel like you’re beating your head against a wall but once you break through you’ll see how it was all worth it.

Now, as for the guests…the person who received the wrong ring needs to return it!  If they knew they got the wrong ring and accepted it knowing it wasn’t what they paid for, that’s fraud and borderline theft.  Stop being shady and return it! If the ring had the wrong purchase price, well then that’s the company’s fault and they have to eat it.

Fight what you feel passionately about and let the rest go!

December 6, 2008, 7:36 pm CST

Jewelry issue...

Hello all...Am I totally not getting it?  Seriously, if you were given something that wasn't yours...First of all, wouldn't you notice?  If so, maybe you would try to keep it and hope for the best thinking you struck it "rich".  I guess we're all human!  Many of us would automatically return the item honestly.  Either way, it's NOT yours, right.  I won't place judgement.

However, if you were approached and requested to return the wrong item for the one you actually paid for...DUH!!!  Again, it's not yours.  How can you even attempt to dispute the proper, legal, whatever action!  IT'S NOT YOURS!  GIVE IT BACK!!!  This is ridiculous.  And these people are agreeing to go on the show and be idiots in front of the entire world!???!!!  What a joke!

December 6, 2008, 7:41 pm CST

Employer weight issue...

How on earth can an employer believe it is okay, after hiring someone for a job, to request any change in appearance?  Unless someone is filthy, smelly, dressing inappropriately, these types of issues...Well, it is completely unfair, degrading, probably illegal in some areas of topics, rude, none of their business, insincere, uncaring .........The list goes on and the employers are beyond wrong and out of line!

December 6, 2008, 8:18 pm CST

12/09 Fighting Back

The guy who got the wrong engagement ring should absolutely return it! I can't see why he wouldn't!

I bet if the shoe was on the other foot and he had gotten the lesser value ring he would have wanted to swap back pronto!

December 6, 2008, 10:45 pm CST

In Service Jobs - Looks do Matter

Whether you like it or not, looks matter when it comes to certain jobs. The waitress or bartender I would say get hired because they have the requisit skills and looked sexy. It's part of the business just as many sales representatives for pharamcutical companies are ex-cheerleaders or models because attractive people have influence over other people and people want to be liked by attractive people. Do you think Fox News has attractive and very sexy female news reporters by chance. Do you notice any female reporters on Fox News or CNN who aren't attractive and slim. How about a reatiler that caters to the hip crowd, any overweight sales reps?

Whether it is legal or not to discriminate with regards to weight and looks is beyond the scopr of this topic, but to be honest it probably is illegal. That said, sexy slim women and men in public and service jobs are what the public wants to see and what affetcs there purchasing patterns. It's just business and the way the average I believe the average North American person views the world.

Now is that to say that your less valuable as a person because you aren't slim and sexy. Absolutely not! A person is made up from their character and personality and their looks. Defining a person just by their looks is shallow. But from a busniess perspective, where a person works at a job where working for or with the public I would say the attractiveness of the person afftects sales figures and the success of the business. 

December 7, 2008, 4:18 pm CST

Asked to lose weight

Quote From: juliekope

How on earth can an employer believe it is okay, after hiring someone for a job, to request any change in appearance?  Unless someone is filthy, smelly, dressing inappropriately, these types of issues...Well, it is completely unfair, degrading, probably illegal in some areas of topics, rude, none of their business, insincere, uncaring .........The list goes on and the employers are beyond wrong and out of line!

I'm looking forward to this show.  I completely agree!  I find it unethical for an employer to ask an employee to lose weight.  I'm sure if she pursued legal action she would win.  Unless ones weight interferes with how they perform their job, the employer is WAY OUT OF LINE!  And to be honest, I can't see how it could.

Actors/actresses gain and/or lose weight for they role they are required to play, that I can understand, but this is totally different. 

December 7, 2008, 10:19 pm CST

Keep It

Quote From: unclemtl

Whether you like it or not, looks matter when it comes to certain jobs. The waitress or bartender I would say get hired because they have the requisit skills and looked sexy. It's part of the business just as many sales representatives for pharamcutical companies are ex-cheerleaders or models because attractive people have influence over other people and people want to be liked by attractive people. Do you think Fox News has attractive and very sexy female news reporters by chance. Do you notice any female reporters on Fox News or CNN who aren't attractive and slim. How about a reatiler that caters to the hip crowd, any overweight sales reps?

Whether it is legal or not to discriminate with regards to weight and looks is beyond the scopr of this topic, but to be honest it probably is illegal. That said, sexy slim women and men in public and service jobs are what the public wants to see and what affetcs there purchasing patterns. It's just business and the way the average I believe the average North American person views the world.

Now is that to say that your less valuable as a person because you aren't slim and sexy. Absolutely not! A person is made up from their character and personality and their looks. Defining a person just by their looks is shallow. But from a busniess perspective, where a person works at a job where working for or with the public I would say the attractiveness of the person afftects sales figures and the success of the business. 

Honestly.  I would keep it.  I thought there was a law about this.  If you receive anything that you didn't order, It is yours.... I thought I heard David Horowitz say this....
Well, I guess we will find out when the show airs.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last