Message Boards

Topic : 12/10 Obsessions?

Number of Replies: 52
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, December 05, 2008, 12:47:14 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
When does a hobby become an obsession? Dr. Phil’s guests say they are definitely obsessed! First, meet a group of women who can’t get enough of a new craze called reborning -- crafting infant dolls that are so life-like, people mistake them for real babies. Some spend thousands of dollars on their dolls, as if they were real children. Author and comedienne Stefanie Wilder-Taylor spends some time with the doting doll lovers during a party you have to see to believe!  Then, Anona says she’s obsessed with her hair, which she hasn’t cut in 17 years. Anona says she’s ready for a change, but how will she react when actress Vivica A. Fox and celebrity stylist Phillip Bloch get their hands on her? Don’t miss this amazing makeover! Plus, a mom is concerned about her 7-year-old’s obsession with all things Elvis. And, Vivica A. Fox spills the beans about an obsession she shares with Dr. Phil’s wife, Robin … that even Dr. Phil wasn’t aware of! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 6, 2008, 4:50 pm CST

Doctor Phil Show.

Doctor Obessions Phil?  That is new one on me but I will see it anyway. I will like it anyway. See you on-----

Wednesday December 10th, 2008. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.-----------------------------------------------

December 7, 2008, 9:07 am CST

Elvis Obsession

Elvis is a very easy obsession.  I collect, many say I am obsessed, but I disagree.  I collect because I love the man!! I will not buy just to buy it would have to be a steal before I buy it.  I try to purchase things that actually worth more than what I pay,  I figure the value will only go up and it will be something for me to pass on.

December 7, 2008, 11:35 am CST

Obsession

My husband loves to find things he finds around where he works that are throwing away and he brings them home because he always feels we can use it some how. What he does he comes home and sneaks the things in then later I find it and ask where did this come from? We have a storage thing in the back and I never see things until he cleans it out and I always ask where did this come from?

But it feels like an obsession to me. If he knew I was doing this he wouldn't be a happy camper at all and that is a fact.

Now he is out of  a job and he such a good worker but nobody wants him because he like I can't speak any Spanish and we are needed in this part of the United States. We now considered in the way and not part of Florida of which is so sad. But that is the way life is and that is a fact.

I wish with all of my heart that you could help us because I feel that there is nothing for us anymore and that is such a horrible feeling.

December 7, 2008, 3:16 pm CST

Dolls, Dolls, Dolls and more Dolls!!!!

Being a doll maker, one who repairs them, collects them and totally enjoys them - I am sure that my opinion will be biased:  I am all for it. 

The majority of people collect something.  Some are big collections and some are small.  Some collect large things and some small.  As long as it hurts no one else and brings pleasure to the collector, I see no problem with it.  When well-done, the "reborn" dolls are my favorites because they look so much like real babies. Having had 6 real ones, I liked them also.   :  )

I have not learned to make them yet, but hope to someday.  I have seen "throw-away" vinyl dolls transformed into beautiful collector dolls, via the re-borning processes.  Having belonged to doll clubs for over 15 years, being a judge at doll shows and state fair, I find there are many doll collectors, makers and lovers around. 

Happy Dolling,

Sue Allen

December 7, 2008, 4:36 pm CST

Barbie Obsessed

I think most people would say I am obsessed with Barbie dolls.  I have collected 92 My Size Barbies and an unknown number of 12" ones.  My husband and I take our My Size Barbies "our girls" rollerskating to movies and just about everywhere we go. 

December 9, 2008, 4:42 pm CST

Reborn Artist & Collector

Oh dear..... the reborn dolly community is either in for some great sales or a drop in sales during a already slow time.

I started when my husband 'adopted' a reborn from ebay for me. I fell in love with her. I don't treat her as a real baby. I have her dressed in antique clothing, sitting in a little rocking chair in the family room. Well....then I HAD to have a boy. So again my husband 'adopted' Noah for me, again from ebay. Three years later I am creating and 'adopting' out reborn babies. From preemie to 0/3 month size. I have sold countless numbers of babies on ebay and as a power seller with 100% feedback; I believe I found my 'nitch'

I love to get photo's and emails from people who have 'adopted' one of my babies. Though not for me, I do know that some of my adoptive parents take their babies out, use car seats, etc.

Simply put; I'll continue to create reborn dolls for years to come as long as I can bring joy and smiles to someone else.

Luv n Hug

Kimberly

December 10, 2008, 5:57 am CST

Men also play with toys

I reborn babies and dress them and love hugs and rocking them when I am down. I also known grown men that play with cars, they get old and no good cars and redo them to new and play and take them everywhere. Some men even still play with trains, plans, and ships. So I guess I am still playing with dolls.

December 10, 2008, 5:58 am CST

Obsessions?

Now, most of a certain age will recognize this....In 1968, I became taken with a show called Dark Shadows, and its star, Jonathan Frid.  I was 7 years old and thought he was incredibly handsome.  My husband and some of my friends did worry that I had become obsessed with the show and Mr. Frid for a while when I went 'hardcore' as a fan in 2005 (how I got there is a story in and of itself). 

But being in fandom, especially an online fan, has done very little detrimental to my life.  I have made friends from all over, and what fun it is to go to the annual Dark Shadows Festivals and put faces and voices to the names you've read in group posts and email.

Now 84 years old, Mr. Frid is still genuinely handsome.  He did not try to hide his aging, but believe you me, he still has it.  It was one of the biggest thrills of my life to meet him in 2007.  Interestingly enough, my "obsession" mellowed out after I met him.

My advice to you who may be accused of being obsessive over a celebrity: 

1.  Find a CREATIVE outlet to express your appreciation and admiration.  Even if the celebrity never sees what you have done, there are likely other fans you can share your work with.  Write, paint, sing.  You might find a talent you didn't know you had, or find yourself extending your skills, in the process.  Don't just collect memorabilia and look at it and dream.  Make your dream reality, even if it's in a fan fiction no one else ever sees.

2. Connect with other fans.  I have found in my years on the Net that the fastest (and I might add, SAFEST) connections with other people are the result of a shared interest or interests.  They, in turn, have shared other interests with me and enriched my life.  Almost all of my close friends are people I originally "met" online through shared-interest groups.  Some of these friends have now been in my life for more than a decade, and I can't imagine my life without them.

If you have a friend or relative that might fit this description, encourage them to do one or both of these things.  You will both be happier and less strained.

Thanks for listening.

December 10, 2008, 5:59 am CST

Definitely NOT Obsessed :)

I have collected exactly two reborn dolls in the past year. I don't plan on getting anymore but I do enjoy perusing the eBay auctions to see what is out there. Now if I was obsessed or had a "problem" then I would be spending money I don't have just to have more. I have self control and see no need to go off the deep end. I have been collecting dolls since I was a young child. My favourites have been porcelain dolls especially the classical looking ones. I have several of them that I have collected from a young age till I was around 17 or so. I have not bought one since that time however. I think with the way the economy has gone these things that bring enjoyment but are not necessary have been put on the back burner for a lot of people. Bad news for the doll makers but I am sure things will turn around (they have to eventually!) and sales will be up again. Until then I will enjoy what I have and be grateful. I am not (btw) one of those collectors who buys car seats etc and takes them out with me. They never leave the house. I honestly think that people would think I was a nail short of a pile. Also I have no desire to pretend and fake people out. I have three children of my own and that's enough to keep me busy. I have no desire to have more children so I guess the reborns fill that void of infant wonderment. It's nice to have something that looks real but can go back on the shelf instead of a real baby who has needs and demands all your attention 24/7! I am sure there are other mothers out there who feel the same.

December 10, 2008, 7:42 am CST

Elvis

I can identify with the girl "obsessed" with Elvis. My mom has been obsessed with Elvis as long as I've been alive...she's been a fan of him her whole life and still remembers being 14 when he died. I am a fan of Elvis myself and I love his music, pictures and CDs but I have no where to collect his items. My mom used to have a whole section of her room dedicated to him but after her divorce with my dad alot of our movies and paintings were destroyed. Now she doesn't buy his things the way she used to unless she really likes them. Our house is decorated with elvis throws, clocks and lamps. It was kind of embarrassing to have friends come over at first but I dont mind it. I have an Elvis pic in my room. But Jeff Gordon is my thing (no comments on that please). My mom though won't spend alot on Elvis, but I take advantage of her liking by find Elvis items on many holidays to give her gifts to help her build her collection back up.

<3

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last