Message Boards

Topic : 12/10 Obsessions?

Number of Replies: 52
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, December 05, 2008, 12:47:14 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
When does a hobby become an obsession? Dr. Phil’s guests say they are definitely obsessed! First, meet a group of women who can’t get enough of a new craze called reborning -- crafting infant dolls that are so life-like, people mistake them for real babies. Some spend thousands of dollars on their dolls, as if they were real children. Author and comedienne Stefanie Wilder-Taylor spends some time with the doting doll lovers during a party you have to see to believe!  Then, Anona says she’s obsessed with her hair, which she hasn’t cut in 17 years. Anona says she’s ready for a change, but how will she react when actress Vivica A. Fox and celebrity stylist Phillip Bloch get their hands on her? Don’t miss this amazing makeover! Plus, a mom is concerned about her 7-year-old’s obsession with all things Elvis. And, Vivica A. Fox spills the beans about an obsession she shares with Dr. Phil’s wife, Robin … that even Dr. Phil wasn’t aware of! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 10, 2008, 9:55 am CST

obssessions!

Dear Dr. Phil,

I was really upset this morning when I watched your show about obsessions.  When you interviewed Vivica Fox and she had on a pair of shoes that cost $.1,300.00.  With the economy the way it is, people losing their homes, jobs and Christmas just around the corner, how can people laugh about spending that kind of money on their shoes and etc.  Look at how many people they could help with that kind of money.  I know they may work hard but it seemed like she was bragging.  Please just keep that kind of information to yourself.

Thank  you for listening.

Nan Schumacher 

December 10, 2008, 1:13 pm CST

Reborn Baby dolls....

This form of art is wonderful....both for the reborn artist and the customer.  I am a reborn artist and I see first hand all the reactions everytime I take my reborn babies to local doll shows.  Women are drawn to them because of the life like looks of them, but at the same time, they don't treat them like their "real" babies...that is when most people draw the line. 

After watching this show, I am sure there will be many more people out there who will want one of these works of art. 

It is not an obsession, just fun :-)

December 10, 2008, 1:43 pm CST

Stefani Wilder needs to get a grip...

Seriously!  It's like she had some serious issues with this woman who was obviously extremely talented in making these beautiful dolls.  So she had the parts in her cabinet????  How does she think dolls become dolls?  They don't make themselves.  So she is attracted to certain ones???  The guest seemed very artistic and level headed and if anything, this was an outlet to connect with others on several occasions (the get-togethers...the doll shopping trips, etc)  and to strike up many conversations.  And talking about the dolls looking like DEAD BABIES....I think Ms. Stefani might need to get out a little more.  She seemed entirely too judgemental for my taste.

December 10, 2008, 2:41 pm CST

My Asperger's Disorder-Related Hobbies

In 2001 I was diagnosed with Asperger's Dosorder. I learned that people with the disorder often have a strong intrest in unusual things. I have had all kinds of  strange quirks and passions for things that were considered 'not normal" One that was really major was my love for dolls and stuffed animals. I would buy dozens of them and sit in my room for hours role-playing with them. This was okay as a kid but I did it even as a teenager and an adult.  My mother tried to discourage me from doing it and wanted me to be interested in "teenage girl" stuff. I thought nearly all the things teens were into at my age were stupid, boring and dangerous. No one knew then this was part of my disorder.  I was  also very interested in cartoons. I have loved and had a talent for drawing for as long as I can remember. This was also great when I was small but when I became a teen I got bullied unmercifully at school because it seemed to be all I cared about.  In my late teens I became really into troll dolls. I loved them and soon had enough of them to fill a small room. Although i would say it was a hobby I knew deep down there was something not quite right  about it. I  had to have my collections perfectly organized and was never satisfied with how  they looked. I kept rearranging them and became anxious like I had OCD. When the lady with the dolls said she had two seperate rooms for boy and girl dolls it really hit home, and when Dr. Phil asked if she was too old for dolls my skin crawled because I so hate that question. I used to say you were never too old for such things. But now I know my own hobbies really weren't normal. They were part of a lifelong disorder. But it was the lack of understanding and being forced to not be myself that really gave me pain.

December 10, 2008, 2:44 pm CST

life like dolls

These dolls definitely look very life like.  My concern would be when people have lost children, that they may try to recreate or resurrect the they lost.  they only have to take in a photograph and have the doll make to look like their deceased child.  that would be a major issue, for the people who want the doll... as it would show that they are not dealing with the death of their baby/toddler at all, and that they need some real help and counselling.

Janet

December 10, 2008, 2:56 pm CST

Doll Collecting a Hobby or Compulsion

I saw the reborn doll show today and felt compelled to write.  I have been collecting dolls for several years now -- not reborns, but "Theme" dolls.  I think of a display I would like to make (have several display cases) and then buy dolls, furniture and accessories to complete the "Story" for the display.  When my Mother (she was 92 when she died this year) decided she wanted someone in her room with her at all times, I bought two "life-size" dolls (a man & a middle aged lady) to sit with her and keep her company.

She talked to them and they watched TV with her daily.  Having things you love surrounding you when you get older, and are more limited in your socializing, can make you happy with your life.  No one would wonder about a man with a garage full of collecter autos, or a vault full of valuable coins -- all collections have meaning to the person doing the collecting.  The reborns are beautiful artistic creations and if they give pleasure and happiness to the collecter then that is wonderful!

December 10, 2008, 2:57 pm CST

Not a Baby Lover. Sorry...

Quote From: blewize76

Seriously!  It's like she had some serious issues with this woman who was obviously extremely talented in making these beautiful dolls.  So she had the parts in her cabinet????  How does she think dolls become dolls?  They don't make themselves.  So she is attracted to certain ones???  The guest seemed very artistic and level headed and if anything, this was an outlet to connect with others on several occasions (the get-togethers...the doll shopping trips, etc)  and to strike up many conversations.  And talking about the dolls looking like DEAD BABIES....I think Ms. Stefani might need to get out a little more.  She seemed entirely too judgemental for my taste.

I'm an artist myself. I draw cartoons and make up my own characters. I even have made dolls that look like my characters. I have lots of collections of other doll and stuffed animals too. Now for the part that will make lots of people hate me...I also thought the dolls were kind of creepy, especially the ones with their glassy, unblinking eyes. I know it's silly, I know they're not alive anyway, but I can't help feeling that way. I like baby dolls that DON'T look a lot like real ones, like the Cabbage Patch Kids or dolls of cartoon babies. Now for the part that will make people really, REALLY judge and hate me.  I don't find real babies cute. Especially when they lose any of their body fluids all over you. I guess I'm not a real woman since I would not want to hold a real baby. For years I wondered what was wrong with me. I love baby animals, though. especially kittens. If someone made really lifelike baby kittens I would love it. But human babies...no.

I've never had kids and never want to. Just the thought makes me shudder.  Anyway, I'm know I'm not normal anyway. I've had abnomalities since I was a child. I'm sorry for not being socially acceptable. 

December 10, 2008, 3:01 pm CST

I loved the dolls

Quote From: suallen1

Being a doll maker, one who repairs them, collects them and totally enjoys them - I am sure that my opinion will be biased:  I am all for it. 

The majority of people collect something.  Some are big collections and some are small.  Some collect large things and some small.  As long as it hurts no one else and brings pleasure to the collector, I see no problem with it.  When well-done, the "reborn" dolls are my favorites because they look so much like real babies. Having had 6 real ones, I liked them also.   :  )

I have not learned to make them yet, but hope to someday.  I have seen "throw-away" vinyl dolls transformed into beautiful collector dolls, via the re-borning processes.  Having belonged to doll clubs for over 15 years, being a judge at doll shows and state fair, I find there are many doll collectors, makers and lovers around. 

Happy Dolling,

Sue Allen

I loved the dolls!  I happen to collect doll houses myself, I buy them, refurbish and repair them, furnish them.  I would love to have one of those dolls myself, but don't think I can start another hobby now! 

December 10, 2008, 3:08 pm CST

Shoes attract friends!

I just want to agree with Vivica Fox! She said how you can make new friends because of your shoes...
I was living in NC for 3 years. I was going to go to the bar, got cute, then waited around, and didn't get down there till after midnight. I was in the worst mood, and a girl approached me to tell me she liked my shoes. She said, "You don't dress like your from here." I said, "I'm from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania." She said, "I go to grad school at the PA College of Optometry!" I said, "PCO?!" She said, "Oh my god, what do you know about PCO?!" I said "I'm going there for graduate school this fall! I just got my acceptance letter!" I met her and 5 other people that night, they had all just moved there for their 3 month rotation for the summer. I made 6 friends in a town I wasn't going know anyone all because she liked my shoes (Which were like $25!)! Vivica speaks the truth!

December 10, 2008, 3:10 pm CST

ebay!

Quote From: willows_manor

Oh dear..... the reborn dolly community is either in for some great sales or a drop in sales during a already slow time.

I started when my husband 'adopted' a reborn from ebay for me. I fell in love with her. I don't treat her as a real baby. I have her dressed in antique clothing, sitting in a little rocking chair in the family room. Well....then I HAD to have a boy. So again my husband 'adopted' Noah for me, again from ebay. Three years later I am creating and 'adopting' out reborn babies. From preemie to 0/3 month size. I have sold countless numbers of babies on ebay and as a power seller with 100% feedback; I believe I found my 'nitch'

I love to get photo's and emails from people who have 'adopted' one of my babies. Though not for me, I do know that some of my adoptive parents take their babies out, use car seats, etc.

Simply put; I'll continue to create reborn dolls for years to come as long as I can bring joy and smiles to someone else.

Luv n Hug

Kimberly

Uh-oh - ebay.  Guess I'll go there and look.  That's how I got started on my doll house collection hobby.  I am afraid if I owned one of these babies, I would take it out and take it on vacations etc.  But then I have a weird sense of humor. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last