Message Boards

Topic : 12/10 Obsessions?

Number of Replies: 52
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, December 05, 2008, 12:47:14 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
When does a hobby become an obsession? Dr. Phil’s guests say they are definitely obsessed! First, meet a group of women who can’t get enough of a new craze called reborning -- crafting infant dolls that are so life-like, people mistake them for real babies. Some spend thousands of dollars on their dolls, as if they were real children. Author and comedienne Stefanie Wilder-Taylor spends some time with the doting doll lovers during a party you have to see to believe!  Then, Anona says she’s obsessed with her hair, which she hasn’t cut in 17 years. Anona says she’s ready for a change, but how will she react when actress Vivica A. Fox and celebrity stylist Phillip Bloch get their hands on her? Don’t miss this amazing makeover! Plus, a mom is concerned about her 7-year-old’s obsession with all things Elvis. And, Vivica A. Fox spills the beans about an obsession she shares with Dr. Phil’s wife, Robin … that even Dr. Phil wasn’t aware of! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 10, 2008, 3:46 pm CST

oh those $1300 shoes

Dr. Phil I want ti tell you that this is my first message.I watch you all the time, but today seemed to catch me in a mood. Not bad , just concerned about something. I was watching you interview V. Fox ( oh such a good last name))Haha) and she seem to be a great lady and I know that she can afford the shoes, but here is the concern part. I noticed when they did a close up on her $1300 there was a small starting of a hole(her left shoe). It looked like the size of a dime but with my big screen tv it looked like the size of a quarter(hahaha). Dr. Phil I would love to have $1300 to spend on shoes not for me but to hand out in my community, the Appalachian community that are located in Virginia where I am from and even to some of my students. I work at a Christian run school and day care and some of the children could use a new pair of shoes. I would love to have the money to travel around this USA and help every child to be warm, fed and clothed for the winter. I work part time and live on a limited budget but I think about these children all the time. Dr. Phil I hope that this finds you great and that you and your family have a wonderful holiday.   MERRY CHRISTMAS  PAT FOX

December 10, 2008, 4:05 pm CST

U told her what we tried telling her!

Thank you Dr. Phil for telling Kailey's mom what we have tried telling her. Kailey a family member of mine a close one at that. Yes Kailey loves Elvis but she doesn't go as "Hound Dog" wild as her Mama acts as though she does. At her daddy's she has quite a few collectibles but not near what she has at her mamas. I believe, as someone standing outside of the box, Kailey loves Elvis and his music but does the major collecting to get the action she desires or longs for from her mother. Dint mistake that for she only collects to get attrition from her mother, because one of Kailey's prized collectibles is at her Daddy's its a record he paid $3 for at a local yard sale that later we found Elvis had autographed the cover and now hangs in the basement playroom in a frame. But you were right Dr.Phil when you told her she has done most of the buying. Heather's living her Dream through Kailey, and Kailey sees a way to get much needed action from her Mama. 

December 10, 2008, 4:06 pm CST

More Hobbitual Than Anything

I don't think any of the guests on the show today had any obsessions that were truly obsessions.  Each guest implied  they could still think about other things and go on with their daily lives. 

Several years ago, a parishoner at the church I belonged to at the time acted rudely toward me, and for the longest time, this person's rudeness was all I could think about, I mean I couldn't even be in the same room with them without wanting to do them serious bodily harm. When we'd be in a worship service, I couldn't even look at the person without wanting to beat the living crap out of them. That's how angry this person's rude behavior made me.  Now that's an obsession that was an obsession.  The guests today mainly had hobbies.

December 10, 2008, 4:27 pm CST

baby dolls

jmjt   I have seen these dolls.  they really look alive.  I would like to mention two reasons for this unusual hobby.  One is the 50 million babies who have died since roe vs wade in1972.  The other is post abortion syndrome.  Woman who had abortions suffer severely from regret and guilt.. Any woman knows that when she is pregnent, she is pregnent with a baby.  those who don't want the child have it aborted, killed.  Why has Dr. Phil had shows so disturbing as child molesting, but not about something that has touched all of our lives.  I was molested as a child.  It was horrible!  I also have had a grandchild murdered, aborted.  The death of my grandchild, traumatized me beyond any other trauma of my life.  Also, I know many woman who have miscarried. they too suffer from intense grief.  Please go to :priests for life.org: to research this topic.  Project Rachael can help heal those suffering from the death of their baby. May God bless you and grant you the gift to address this terrible sufferring. Marie

December 10, 2008, 5:02 pm CST

The dolls

I was fascinated by the artistic aspect!  How amazing!  And for them to be hand-made into that from  "generic" doll parts?  Really neat. 

Their was a certain unnerving aspect to how they were being held & such, especially to be taken places.  They were so life-like looking, I imagine many women (especially mothers) would instinctively cradle them, though.  But it's sad to think about that deep longing to return to baby days; I have compassion as the baby time is both glorious and fleeting in a mother's life.  You can't go back.  

Maybe it's better to NOT get involved in something like this, know what I mean?  To not even go there. 

December 10, 2008, 5:08 pm CST

NOT FAIR

Quote From: nan_schumacher

Dear Dr. Phil,

I was really upset this morning when I watched your show about obsessions.  When you interviewed Vivica Fox and she had on a pair of shoes that cost $.1,300.00.  With the economy the way it is, people losing their homes, jobs and Christmas just around the corner, how can people laugh about spending that kind of money on their shoes and etc.  Look at how many people they could help with that kind of money.  I know they may work hard but it seemed like she was bragging.  Please just keep that kind of information to yourself.

Thank  you for listening.

Nan Schumacher 

I would bet that Dr. Phil and Robin give lots of money to good causes. They are wealthy and in the public and have earned the right to live the lifestyle they live. Yes, I am disabled and Yes, I would love to go to the spa, have nice things, meet a celebrity - but I never will, and it isn't Dr. Phil's fault! He was lucky and worked hard, and I wouldn't judge them without knowing them. They have done a lot of good for people, and not all of us are blessed with the same things. I feel blessed that I no longer am married to an abusive man who tormented me for 20 years, and although I am disabled, I am grateful I am here. Please don't be so judgemental of the wealthy, because like everyone on this planet, you take each person according to their character. Thank you.

December 10, 2008, 6:28 pm CST

Rude

I watched the doll obsession part of the show today, and I felt really bad for the woman with the doll that was on the screen for the better part of the segment. That Author and comedienne Stefanie Wilder-Taylor, I felt was very rude to the woman, and kept waiting for people to laugh at her nasty comments. I didn't find anything she had to say funny.  I think she went too far. People like that woman and her pals that enjoy the doll thing, more power to them, it's not for me, but it was hard to watch that lame comedienne try to make her look like a creepy woman with a creepy interest. I thought she was more creepy than the dolls!!!

Stephanie, you owe her an apology, oh, and your not funny!!!

December 10, 2008, 6:29 pm CST

SAVE THE HAIR!

PLEASE save that long hair from the girl on Wednesday's show and DONATE IT TO A PLACE where they will make it into a wig FOR CANCER TREATMENT PATIENTS !!!!!

It's nice to talk about how to handle obsessions,  but please always consider how else people may be helped on your show.   

Thank you!            

December 10, 2008, 7:23 pm CST

Good for you!

Quote From: clarpa

I would bet that Dr. Phil and Robin give lots of money to good causes. They are wealthy and in the public and have earned the right to live the lifestyle they live. Yes, I am disabled and Yes, I would love to go to the spa, have nice things, meet a celebrity - but I never will, and it isn't Dr. Phil's fault! He was lucky and worked hard, and I wouldn't judge them without knowing them. They have done a lot of good for people, and not all of us are blessed with the same things. I feel blessed that I no longer am married to an abusive man who tormented me for 20 years, and although I am disabled, I am grateful I am here. Please don't be so judgemental of the wealthy, because like everyone on this planet, you take each person according to their character. Thank you.

You have a great attitude, Clar!

Dr. Phil and Robin DO give lots of money to good causes, and you're right: they have worked hard for what they have. Dr. Phil grew up poor but he didn't use that as an excuse to waste his life whining about it like so many people do...he got an education and made a success of his life, and I don't think he will ever forget where he came from and what it was like to have nothing. He does not waste money!

Being jealous or envious of others' blessings just keeps a person from looking at and being grateful for their own!

December 10, 2008, 7:26 pm CST

my sentiments exactly

Quote From: closetfan

I watched the doll obsession part of the show today, and I felt really bad for the woman with the doll that was on the screen for the better part of the segment. That Author and comedienne Stefanie Wilder-Taylor, I felt was very rude to the woman, and kept waiting for people to laugh at her nasty comments. I didn't find anything she had to say funny.  I think she went too far. People like that woman and her pals that enjoy the doll thing, more power to them, it's not for me, but it was hard to watch that lame comedienne try to make her look like a creepy woman with a creepy interest. I thought she was more creepy than the dolls!!!

Stephanie, you owe her an apology, oh, and your not funny!!!

I actually registered with Dr.Phil.com so that I could comment on Stephanie's inconsiderate, and quite odd behavior  to your "guest", the doll maker. What is going on in HER mind that she would treat such a kind lady in a repulsive manner?  I'm stunned really, and I hope that Stephanie does call the doll artist with an apology, if she can, in fact see that she has mistreated her.  I recommend she watch the video, not to shame her but to help her see why she's being labeled "rude".  Save it for the self-important folks who cause harm to others Stephanie.  By-the-way, I tip my hat to the lovely lady who handled her obvious discomfort with such grace and composure. Probably your first time on TV and to be put in a position of defending yourself over your enjoyment,  talent and spending with your hobby.   What a waste of what was supposed to be an awesome experience for you and your friends. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last