Message Boards

Topic : 12/10 Obsessions?

Number of Replies: 52
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, December 05, 2008, 12:47:14 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
When does a hobby become an obsession? Dr. Phil’s guests say they are definitely obsessed! First, meet a group of women who can’t get enough of a new craze called reborning -- crafting infant dolls that are so life-like, people mistake them for real babies. Some spend thousands of dollars on their dolls, as if they were real children. Author and comedienne Stefanie Wilder-Taylor spends some time with the doting doll lovers during a party you have to see to believe!  Then, Anona says she’s obsessed with her hair, which she hasn’t cut in 17 years. Anona says she’s ready for a change, but how will she react when actress Vivica A. Fox and celebrity stylist Phillip Bloch get their hands on her? Don’t miss this amazing makeover! Plus, a mom is concerned about her 7-year-old’s obsession with all things Elvis. And, Vivica A. Fox spills the beans about an obsession she shares with Dr. Phil’s wife, Robin … that even Dr. Phil wasn’t aware of! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 10, 2008, 7:32 pm CST

Wiggin out

Quote From: slappymjc

PLEASE save that long hair from the girl on Wednesday's show and DONATE IT TO A PLACE where they will make it into a wig FOR CANCER TREATMENT PATIENTS !!!!!

It's nice to talk about how to handle obsessions,  but please always consider how else people may be helped on your show.   

Thank you!            

Absolutely!  I was hoping somebody would mention it before the end of the segment.  I'm feeling pretty good that the hair will not be tossed out and forgotten.  What a beautiful head of hair, may it bless somebody's awesome head... and heart.

December 10, 2008, 7:38 pm CST

12/10 Obsessions?

I think this reborning obsession says a whole lot about the deep loneliness these women feel and how disconnected we, as a society, are from each other.

You may think that because of all the communication gadgets we have we are more connected...but, think about it: we text instead of calling and talking to each other, we go on the Internet and "talk" to people but they are a world away; it's pretty hard to have a genuine relationship if you can never meet face to face...or even call each other.

Too often, instead of interacting with each other as a family, we play video games alone, or watch TV and never talk to each other, or the kids hibernate in their rooms on the computer. We eat alone, everyone at different times, too often fast food,  rather than sit together at the dinner table. The kids have constant activities that keep them away from home, schoolwork that they do alone. Husbands are almost never home, and when they are, they're too tired to want to do anything but zone out...alone......etc etc etc.

Is it any wonder that these women turn to these "perfect" babies who never cry, never demand anything, are always there for them,  who never grow up and away, and with whom they can create a fantasy life?

If your life feels lonely and empty, I guess these dolls can fill a void.

To each his..or her..own.

December 10, 2008, 7:40 pm CST

12/10 Obsessions?

Quote From: slappymjc

PLEASE save that long hair from the girl on Wednesday's show and DONATE IT TO A PLACE where they will make it into a wig FOR CANCER TREATMENT PATIENTS !!!!!

It's nice to talk about how to handle obsessions,  but please always consider how else people may be helped on your show.   

Thank you!            

That's the first thing I thought of, too, when I saw all that hair, but, I'm pretty sure that Dr. Phil is aware of that wonderful organization "Locks of Love" and made sure that hair was donated.

December 10, 2008, 7:58 pm CST

12/10 Obsessions?

Quote From: doomsdaydiva

I'm an artist myself. I draw cartoons and make up my own characters. I even have made dolls that look like my characters. I have lots of collections of other doll and stuffed animals too. Now for the part that will make lots of people hate me...I also thought the dolls were kind of creepy, especially the ones with their glassy, unblinking eyes. I know it's silly, I know they're not alive anyway, but I can't help feeling that way. I like baby dolls that DON'T look a lot like real ones, like the Cabbage Patch Kids or dolls of cartoon babies. Now for the part that will make people really, REALLY judge and hate me.  I don't find real babies cute. Especially when they lose any of their body fluids all over you. I guess I'm not a real woman since I would not want to hold a real baby. For years I wondered what was wrong with me. I love baby animals, though. especially kittens. If someone made really lifelike baby kittens I would love it. But human babies...no.

I've never had kids and never want to. Just the thought makes me shudder.  Anyway, I'm know I'm not normal anyway. I've had abnomalities since I was a child. I'm sorry for not being socially acceptable. 

Don't apologize for being yourself!

Motherhood is not for everyone and I give you credit for acknowledging that you prefer not to procreate. Too many women have babies just because they think they are supposed to, and then find that they hate motherhood and the kids they pop out, and then proceed to make the poor kids lives hell.

There are a lot of women who shouldn't even have a pet rat, much less a child!

December 10, 2008, 8:07 pm CST

Kailey will grow up

I seen Kailey on todays show and I will tell you it sounded just like my daughter! At two she heard a Elvis song on the radio and told me not to turn it! I had no idea where it came from, and from then she wanted ELVIS ELVIS ELVIS when she made her Christmas list.. it was ELVIS when she ask for birthday gifts it was ELVIS I figured it could be alot worse!  Kaileys room and my daughters room look exactly the same. She is now 22 she still loves Elvis and is so proud of her collection of Elvis things, they are now in our game room and they make it look good.. She is married and we got to keep it! But to let you know when she was 13 she feel in love.....lol... with Leornardo Decaprio..lol.. same thing.. PICTURES PICTURES AND MAGS MAGS MAGS.... NOT AN INCH WITHOUT A PICTURE! And then thank God that went away too! So dont worry the Elvis stage will end! It is who comes afterwards that you will probally not be excited about!

December 10, 2008, 8:11 pm CST

Reborn Dolls

I am an avid Dr Phil Fan (I tape the show every day)  I have never posted on a message board before, but could not pass this one regarding today's show.  I own an art & craft supply business that focuses mainly on carrying all the supplies to create these lifelike dolls and we run regular classes, have DVD's, books instructing how to make them. 
I was both exited and nervous when I learned about the topic of today's show!  I had heard rumors it was coming up...as the Dr Phil producers contacted one of our teachers to find an avid collector to interview on the show.
I could not have been happier with Kathryn!  She was an absolute delight to watch.  She seemed like a well grounded person and I thought she made the audience feel comfortable. 
I was disappointed however that a few points did not come across that I felt was important.  Perhaps it was due to limited air time.  The term "Reborn" I know seems odd....however it came from the fact that originally when these lifelike dolls were created they had only existeing dolls to "recreate".  They had to start with a finished doll, take the factory paint off, repaint it, take the doll apart, stuff and weight it, and then re-root the doll hair so it looked like a real infant.  Hence the term "Reborn"  I thought Stephanie was a little harsh with the comment about it sounding like a cult.  Many call them "Newborn" dolls now since you can buy kits that come unpainted and in seperate parts such as you saw in Kathryn's cupboard.  (Yes I know it does look creepy...but don't all dolls before they are put together)
The other question I had...was does Kathryn sell these dolls?  She mentioned she was delivering a doll when the couple saw it in her car and were ready to call the authorities.  It seems to me that Kathryn is in business and is not just a mere collector.  I was happy to hear Dr Phil and most of the audience deem her as a hobbiest, but if she does sell these, then I would say she is an entrepeneur.  If not already she should consider teaching this...she sure has the personality for it!!
Great show Dr Phil...light hearted....it's always a pleasure watching!

December 11, 2008, 6:41 am CST

Me too

Quote From: doomsdaydiva

I'm an artist myself. I draw cartoons and make up my own characters. I even have made dolls that look like my characters. I have lots of collections of other doll and stuffed animals too. Now for the part that will make lots of people hate me...I also thought the dolls were kind of creepy, especially the ones with their glassy, unblinking eyes. I know it's silly, I know they're not alive anyway, but I can't help feeling that way. I like baby dolls that DON'T look a lot like real ones, like the Cabbage Patch Kids or dolls of cartoon babies. Now for the part that will make people really, REALLY judge and hate me.  I don't find real babies cute. Especially when they lose any of their body fluids all over you. I guess I'm not a real woman since I would not want to hold a real baby. For years I wondered what was wrong with me. I love baby animals, though. especially kittens. If someone made really lifelike baby kittens I would love it. But human babies...no.

I've never had kids and never want to. Just the thought makes me shudder.  Anyway, I'm know I'm not normal anyway. I've had abnomalities since I was a child. I'm sorry for not being socially acceptable. 

Not wanting to have kids doesn't at all make you not a real woman.   In fact, the earth is overpopulated already, so people who choose  not to have kids are actually doing the world a service not a disservice.  People judge you because they are ignorant-that same reason people do a lot of stupid things.  

What I don't get is people who say they are in financial or marriage crisis (usually due to there own fault which they won't admit) who decide to bring kids into the world anyway.  They then turn around and say that people like me should pay for there overpriced homes and gas guzzlers (which they claim they need to carry around a ten pound baby).   I have no desire to have kids and my nightmare would be to become a soccer mom.  

Personally, while I'm not interested in dolls, they didn't bother me much.   I liked that the money from the dolls is going to individual artists who make them rather than evil corporations that sell dolls in mass probably put to together by some 10 year old in China.  The environmental impact is minimal in particular when you compare it to hobbies  I consider completely stupid such as Nascar and golf.  

December 11, 2008, 6:49 am CST

It's an Artform

Quote From: cndrlla

I think this reborning obsession says a whole lot about the deep loneliness these women feel and how disconnected we, as a society, are from each other.

You may think that because of all the communication gadgets we have we are more connected...but, think about it: we text instead of calling and talking to each other, we go on the Internet and "talk" to people but they are a world away; it's pretty hard to have a genuine relationship if you can never meet face to face...or even call each other.

Too often, instead of interacting with each other as a family, we play video games alone, or watch TV and never talk to each other, or the kids hibernate in their rooms on the computer. We eat alone, everyone at different times, too often fast food,  rather than sit together at the dinner table. The kids have constant activities that keep them away from home, schoolwork that they do alone. Husbands are almost never home, and when they are, they're too tired to want to do anything but zone out...alone......etc etc etc.

Is it any wonder that these women turn to these "perfect" babies who never cry, never demand anything, are always there for them,  who never grow up and away, and with whom they can create a fantasy life?

If your life feels lonely and empty, I guess these dolls can fill a void.

To each his..or her..own.

As mentioned on the show the woman leads a full active and normal life with friends and family.   There is no reason to slam her/them because she/they enjoys dolls.  Besides given the earth is already over populated there is nothing wrong with having a doll instead of a baby, especially when the doll doesn't pollute and brings her enjoyment.   

While it may be the case in your life, there are plenty of people like myself who enjoy the internet and use it a lot, but spend tons of time with people in our real lives.     

December 11, 2008, 7:00 am CST

My thoughts too

Quote From: nan_schumacher

Dear Dr. Phil,

I was really upset this morning when I watched your show about obsessions.  When you interviewed Vivica Fox and she had on a pair of shoes that cost $.1,300.00.  With the economy the way it is, people losing their homes, jobs and Christmas just around the corner, how can people laugh about spending that kind of money on their shoes and etc.  Look at how many people they could help with that kind of money.  I know they may work hard but it seemed like she was bragging.  Please just keep that kind of information to yourself.

Thank  you for listening.

Nan Schumacher 

Yuck, Viviaca Fox is now going on my list of annoying celebs that I hate.   What are you going to do with 650 pairs of shoes other than selfishly brag about them?   Why not give the ones that you aren't wearing to people who need them!   I found whole conversation completely sick and not the least bit funny.   

Besides I could have gotten the same ugly pairs of shoes at payless for 10 dollars and only snobby people like her who I would not want to waste my time with would know the difference.  

Although one thing I will say is that there are a lot of people loosing homes who deserve it because they bought homes they could not afford.  They decided to live it up so now they will have to live it down. 

People should also strongly consider participating in buy nothings Christmas/holidays (google it). 

Happy to listen.  

December 11, 2008, 1:09 pm CST

12/10 Obsessions?

Quote From: trigreen

Yuck, Viviaca Fox is now going on my list of annoying celebs that I hate.   What are you going to do with 650 pairs of shoes other than selfishly brag about them?   Why not give the ones that you aren't wearing to people who need them!   I found whole conversation completely sick and not the least bit funny.   

Besides I could have gotten the same ugly pairs of shoes at payless for 10 dollars and only snobby people like her who I would not want to waste my time with would know the difference.  

Although one thing I will say is that there are a lot of people loosing homes who deserve it because they bought homes they could not afford.  They decided to live it up so now they will have to live it down. 

People should also strongly consider participating in buy nothings Christmas/holidays (google it). 

Happy to listen.  
You know what I can't stand about so many of today's TV shows. They're so unreal. The characters never wear the same clothes more than once. On The Waltons, everyone wore the same clothes more than once. Even from one season to the next. Yes, they were poor. But even though the characters on Family weren't poor, the father being a lawyer, they wore the same clothes more than once. Lets get back to realistic TV shows!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last