Message Boards

Topic : 12/10 Obsessions?

Number of Replies: 52
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, December 05, 2008, 12:47:14 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
When does a hobby become an obsession? Dr. Phil’s guests say they are definitely obsessed! First, meet a group of women who can’t get enough of a new craze called reborning -- crafting infant dolls that are so life-like, people mistake them for real babies. Some spend thousands of dollars on their dolls, as if they were real children. Author and comedienne Stefanie Wilder-Taylor spends some time with the doting doll lovers during a party you have to see to believe!  Then, Anona says she’s obsessed with her hair, which she hasn’t cut in 17 years. Anona says she’s ready for a change, but how will she react when actress Vivica A. Fox and celebrity stylist Phillip Bloch get their hands on her? Don’t miss this amazing makeover! Plus, a mom is concerned about her 7-year-old’s obsession with all things Elvis. And, Vivica A. Fox spills the beans about an obsession she shares with Dr. Phil’s wife, Robin … that even Dr. Phil wasn’t aware of! Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 11, 2008, 1:14 pm CST

12/10 Obsessions?

Years ago, my mother came home from a shopping trip laughing. She'd gone to a toy store looking for something for my niece who was coming for a visit. And, found a baby doll. While she was in the checkout line, another woman got onto her for "dressing that poor baby too warm" for the August heat.

December 11, 2008, 1:32 pm CST

Shrink

Quote From: cndrlla

I think this reborning obsession says a whole lot about the deep loneliness these women feel and how disconnected we, as a society, are from each other.

You may think that because of all the communication gadgets we have we are more connected...but, think about it: we text instead of calling and talking to each other, we go on the Internet and "talk" to people but they are a world away; it's pretty hard to have a genuine relationship if you can never meet face to face...or even call each other.

Too often, instead of interacting with each other as a family, we play video games alone, or watch TV and never talk to each other, or the kids hibernate in their rooms on the computer. We eat alone, everyone at different times, too often fast food,  rather than sit together at the dinner table. The kids have constant activities that keep them away from home, schoolwork that they do alone. Husbands are almost never home, and when they are, they're too tired to want to do anything but zone out...alone......etc etc etc.

Is it any wonder that these women turn to these "perfect" babies who never cry, never demand anything, are always there for them,  who never grow up and away, and with whom they can create a fantasy life?

If your life feels lonely and empty, I guess these dolls can fill a void.

To each his..or her..own.

I think you need to stop analyzing.  There are women who have lost babies who find great comfort in holding a reborn.  It soothes them.  Better than going out and stealing a live one, eh?

December 11, 2008, 2:05 pm CST

12/10 Obsessions?

Quote From: lifelikebabies

This form of art is wonderful....both for the reborn artist and the customer.  I am a reborn artist and I see first hand all the reactions everytime I take my reborn babies to local doll shows.  Women are drawn to them because of the life like looks of them, but at the same time, they don't treat them like their "real" babies...that is when most people draw the line. 

After watching this show, I am sure there will be many more people out there who will want one of these works of art. 

It is not an obsession, just fun :-)

I have decided I really want to get one of these dolls.  After Christmas.  With my Christmas money.  I'm going to watch them on ebay.  I am sure the perfect one will come along soon!

December 12, 2008, 11:05 am CST

12/10 Obsessions?

Quote From: mrstwist

Absolutely!  I was hoping somebody would mention it before the end of the segment.  I'm feeling pretty good that the hair will not be tossed out and forgotten.  What a beautiful head of hair, may it bless somebody's awesome head... and heart.

I've got some hair that's long enough for Locks of Love, but it's almost 48 years old. When I turned nine, my mother took me to a beauty parlor and had my long hair cut into a short, "pixie" style. It was clean when they cut it. And, it's been stored in a plastic bag all these years. If Locks of Love can use it, I'd like to send it to them. Will they take hair that old?

December 12, 2008, 11:16 am CST

12/10 Obsessions?

Quote From: trigreen

Not wanting to have kids doesn't at all make you not a real woman.   In fact, the earth is overpopulated already, so people who choose  not to have kids are actually doing the world a service not a disservice.  People judge you because they are ignorant-that same reason people do a lot of stupid things.  

What I don't get is people who say they are in financial or marriage crisis (usually due to there own fault which they won't admit) who decide to bring kids into the world anyway.  They then turn around and say that people like me should pay for there overpriced homes and gas guzzlers (which they claim they need to carry around a ten pound baby).   I have no desire to have kids and my nightmare would be to become a soccer mom.  

Personally, while I'm not interested in dolls, they didn't bother me much.   I liked that the money from the dolls is going to individual artists who make them rather than evil corporations that sell dolls in mass probably put to together by some 10 year old in China.  The environmental impact is minimal in particular when you compare it to hobbies  I consider completely stupid such as Nascar and golf.  
What ever happened to carrying your own bag of clubs and walking from one hole to the next? While the carts are battery powered, I still think golfers ought to walk. My father was a "social" golfer until he retired from the Army 49 years ago. And, he always walked.

December 12, 2008, 1:01 pm CST

Golf, a good walk spoiled

Quote From: ramair

What ever happened to carrying your own bag of clubs and walking from one hole to the next? While the carts are battery powered, I still think golfers ought to walk. My father was a "social" golfer until he retired from the Army 49 years ago. And, he always walked.
Thanks for the response.  Actually the main ecological impact I was referring to wasn't in reference to golf carts, it was referring to the large tracts of forest or other natural land (loss of plant and animal habitats) that get plowed to create golf courses.   

December 12, 2008, 1:06 pm CST

Yeah really

Quote From: ojghtyefty

I think you need to stop analyzing.  There are women who have lost babies who find great comfort in holding a reborn.  It soothes them.  Better than going out and stealing a live one, eh?
They are dolls.  This may be the biggest over reaction to a few dolls ever.  The way some people are getting upset about them you would think they were real children.   If they want something to be angry about and to analyze there is the government stealing your tax payer dollars right now to give to corrupt corporations.  Perhaps they should try worrying about this instead of a doll.  

December 12, 2008, 1:34 pm CST

12/10 Obsessions?

Quote From: trigreen

Thanks for the response.  Actually the main ecological impact I was referring to wasn't in reference to golf carts, it was referring to the large tracts of forest or other natural land (loss of plant and animal habitats) that get plowed to create golf courses.   
I figured you didn't have a problem with golf carts. Being battery powered. In fact, when my father retired from his post-Army career, he bought my mother a golf cart so she wouldn't have to carry all her fishing gear to the fish pond. But, she couldn't park it in the pasture because the horses would tangle the rods together. Talk about a mess!

December 13, 2008, 11:03 am CST

Minorities?

I really don't understand the point of minorities, and I fear it may be becoming an obsession. Day and night I reflect on the fact that none of them are human beings! The way I see it, I wouldn't vote for a orangutan to be the president, so why did everyone vote for a gorilla? Hmmmmmmm? It seems mindboggling to me. I lie in bed, night after night, wondering which species of minority will cause my demise. It frightens me and I feel it is interfering with my life.

December 17, 2008, 12:18 pm CST

Let's be Fair

Now, I've never written a show before, but the way this woman was portrayed got to me a little. The lady of Reborn Dolls verbalized that it is not interffering with her life, therefore it's not an obbession. She also was asked how how much she has spent on this. $50,000 over 14years is only $3,500, that's nothing if you're financially stable (which was not asked-or even part of the topic). Yet spending that kind of money and time ( which doesn't interfere) is next to nothing when you are trying to get a buisness running, which is what it sounded like to me. Nobody went in the  direction of this being a small buisness. Then there was Stepanie Wilder-Taylor, Whom obviously didn't agree and couldn't accept what this woman was doing. Stephanie said it seemed like a little cult to her, it seemed like dead babies all around,  I didn't count the number of times she used the word "creepy". Then she said "how can you go to a oll show and spend a couple grand on a doll you just have to have?" Please try to have someone less bias next time you do a topic. People drop money on things they just "have to have " all the time. This woman doesn't need to be made out to be a weird cult member, or something.     Thank you, Amy Kutylo 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last