Message Boards

Topic : 12/15 Headline Horror Stories

Number of Replies: 63
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, December 11, 2008, 11:12:51 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
What would push an 8-year-old to allegedly kill his own father? What would make a man brutally murder a talented anchorwoman? Dr. Phil is joined by Nancy Grace of  Headline News, children’s rights attorney Paul Mones and criminologist Dr. Denise Boots as they delve into shocking and horrific headlines. Recently, police were called to a fitness club in Tracy, California where an emaciated and half-naked teen boy stumbled in, covered in soot and bruises, with a shackle on his ankle. The boy told a terrifying story of escaping from a house where he was kept prisoner, locked in chains, beaten and starved. Nancy has strong opinions about the boy's alleged captors. Then, an Arizona town was recently rocked by the news of an 8-year-old boy arrested for allegedly shooting and killing his father and another man. See the interrogation video in which the boy allegedly confessed. Are there any warning signs that a child is going to kill a parent? Should an 8-year-old be tried for murder? A heated debate ensues between Paul and Nancy. Plus, 13-year-old Tyler falsely confessed to the murder of his brother-in-law. He was tried as adult, sentenced to life in prison and served six years before being exonerated from the crime. Now 19, Tyler shares what made him lie to the police. And, Dr. Phil discusses the case of a beautiful young newscaster found brutally attacked and left for dead in her home in Little Rock, Arkansas. Anne Pressly’s case is eerily similar to the murder of another anchorwoman in 2002. Was it more than a random robbery? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 15, 2008, 1:51 pm CST

Grandparents Rights

Nancy Grace criticized the extended family for not getting involved.  However, it is very difficult to take any action when the abusive parents can be too defensive.  The parents can cut off all contact with the child if an accusation is made.  If evidence is insufficient the parents retain custody.  A grandparent may decide to remain silent and continue contact with the child and support that child however they can until the parents do something bad enough or have enough evidence to make a change in custody arrangements. 

December 15, 2008, 1:57 pm CST

Nancy dis-Grace-ful

I was appalled by Ms. Grace's lack of understanding of child development and her vehement stance on prosecuting children as adults. I am also greatly concerned that a person with her access to audience can inform the public with gross assumptions about the efficacy of our juvenile justice system. I would like to point Ms. Grace to the research conducted by the Children's Defense Fund and the subsequent publication, The Cradle to Prison Pipeline: An American Health Crisis Ms. Grace's rhetoric does nothing to assist in the stemming of the problem of children growing up without effective parenting. Her angry tirades only stoke the flames of fear that have kept in place the systems that poorly serve the greatest common denominator. The children who enter our systems have, generally, not been served well over the courses of their lives.

It would be helpful in the future if Dr. Phil's guests would assist in the development of solutions rather than in participating in the self-satisfying (and probably financially lucrative) "debates" that lead us right around to our tails again.

AFTERTHOUGHT: I appreciate that Dr. Phil explained, on air, that physiologically, children cannot make the connection between current action and future consequence. That part of the brain is among the last to fully develop. Would you let an 18 year old make the most important life decisions for you?

December 15, 2008, 2:04 pm CST

I cannot stand Nancy Grace

Nancy Grace makes me absolutely ill.  Any show she appears on makes it instantaneously unwatchable.  I get sooooooo sick and tired of her "I know everything, you know nothing" attitude.  It's really a shame how she thinks her opinion is the only one that matters.  Headline news needs to get rid of this rude, unprofessional, silly shrill once and for all.

December 15, 2008, 2:09 pm CST

a simple look at the map

Quote "The towns are not that far apart 200 or 300 miles"     Try over 500 miles apart.

December 15, 2008, 2:09 pm CST

Sherry

Sherry, I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. Mom called me the other night letting me know she seen you on 48 hours. I knew about Jennifer when mom found out. Sherry you babysat me when and my brothers and sister when we was kids. I am Karen ..Warren and Linda's daughter. When I seen you on tv today it brought tears to my eyes. Write me sometime would love to talk. I haven't seen you since I was a kid. I hope you being on the shows something comes out about Jennifer. Your thoughts and prays are with us..

Love ya,

Karen

December 15, 2008, 2:11 pm CST

Deeper Horrors in Little Rock

My elderly parents were attacked two days before St Patrick's Day this year. They had just arrived home from the grogery store and were unloading their car, in their driveway, twenty feet from their front door. As they got the first bundles out a black man wit a hood first knocked my father down to the pavement and then threw my mother to the ground as he grabbed her purse and spun her around. My parents were taken to emergency and my father was found to be just shakken while my mother was found to have a serverly shattered pelvis.

My mother spent the next week in the hospital and then the next two weeks in therapy at an extended therapy facility.

My parents are now mended physically but that experience was the beginning of their mental downfall. They worry and fret that that stranger will return and harm them. My parents live close to Ann Pressly's home and the police haven't treated them, naturally, at the same level. My parents are old 87 and 92 and unimportant nowdays except for their children, grandchildren and great gradchildren.

That area of Little Rock is mixed with retirees and yupies. The houses are very middle class as the neighborhood but it seems that the City of Little Rock has not bothered to place a higher priority to these areas in spite of their value.

So my parents will soon die worried that he (the stranger) is coming back to get them. SHAME! 

J.C. Fredeman

December 15, 2008, 2:21 pm CST

boy should be treated like an adult

hey Dr. Phil,

i think the little boy should be treated like an adult because of what he did. if he can get a knife and kill his father he can be trialed as an adult. he might be 8 years old but he made the choice to do it. he needs help. if they dont trial him as an adult then they need to rethink things. this is just the start of a down fall for this boy.   thanks,

keaton

December 15, 2008, 2:32 pm CST

Oh my god - I've been there

This could be about my son!!!  There was absolutly no abuse in my home.  I had neighbors who were torturing my son.  They made numerous allegations about my 8 year old son.  It is such a scary thing to see this.  They took my son's innonscence away by charging him with making terroristic threats.  This women needs to know that there are always things that are not being said behind the scenes.  It took me 2 years and $10,000.00 to have my son found NOT guilty of what he was charged with.  Parole or probationh - I don't think so.  Unbelievable.  My son is now 21 and a GREAT person.

December 15, 2008, 2:40 pm CST

Horror stories

Let me tell you from experience - the mental health community is NOT equipped to deal with 8 year old children with issues.  I had my son in counselling for "anger management" there are not consellors around to help.  They really don't know how to deal with the problems.  We did more as a family than the counsellor did.  Yes, I agree these kids do NOT belong in the justice system.  Even probation cannot help.  Yes, something had to be done - Most of it is from the other kids doing the teasing (relentlessly).  This is the problem - that needs to be addressed, more than these children - 8 years old - being sent to prison.

December 15, 2008, 2:49 pm CST

12/15 Headline Horror Stories

Quote From: dwchick

You hit the nail square on the head!  Fox News would be a better place for her and for me since I'd never have to risk accidently hearing her nonsense.  Nancy Grace has seemed to gain popularity because of people spoofing her on shows like SNL and Boston Legal.  She's a joke, but apparently, Nancy, CNN, and even Dr Phl don't seem to know that.

i thin t is sad they dont have anywhere to put thesse kids that need help u see iam in the same place thesse poeple are u see my son has a.d.h.d and bypoler and he was on alot of meds and he started getting sick and the drs. took him off his med and he had a relaps and he tryed to kill his sister and they arrested him and put him in jail and then they put him in a camp and hes only 9years lod and hes going to be 10 on newyears and hes been away from home for a year know and be for he could come home he has to learn the court trems and he has not been charge .

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last