Message Boards

Topic : 12/15 Headline Horror Stories

Number of Replies: 63
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, December 11, 2008, 11:12:51 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
What would push an 8-year-old to allegedly kill his own father? What would make a man brutally murder a talented anchorwoman? Dr. Phil is joined by Nancy Grace of  Headline News, children’s rights attorney Paul Mones and criminologist Dr. Denise Boots as they delve into shocking and horrific headlines. Recently, police were called to a fitness club in Tracy, California where an emaciated and half-naked teen boy stumbled in, covered in soot and bruises, with a shackle on his ankle. The boy told a terrifying story of escaping from a house where he was kept prisoner, locked in chains, beaten and starved. Nancy has strong opinions about the boy's alleged captors. Then, an Arizona town was recently rocked by the news of an 8-year-old boy arrested for allegedly shooting and killing his father and another man. See the interrogation video in which the boy allegedly confessed. Are there any warning signs that a child is going to kill a parent? Should an 8-year-old be tried for murder? A heated debate ensues between Paul and Nancy. Plus, 13-year-old Tyler falsely confessed to the murder of his brother-in-law. He was tried as adult, sentenced to life in prison and served six years before being exonerated from the crime. Now 19, Tyler shares what made him lie to the police. And, Dr. Phil discusses the case of a beautiful young newscaster found brutally attacked and left for dead in her home in Little Rock, Arkansas. Anne Pressly’s case is eerily similar to the murder of another anchorwoman in 2002. Was it more than a random robbery? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 15, 2008, 5:40 pm CST

Nancy Grace

Please, no more Nancy Grace.  She's way over the top, the curse word was ridiculous and insulting; and anyone who thinks that eight year old boy needs to be prosecuted and sent through the Juvenile system - even if he gets probation - has something wrong with them.  It's an awful system that can drag a young person even further down the tubes.  Boots and Mones were right on the money, the kid needs proper treatment and a family presence.

And that's even if the boy is actually guilty!  You didn't show the entire tape, just cherry-picked bits and pieces.  I've seen the entire "interrogation", those cops lied to that boy, telling him that "someone said they saw you shoot them", they led him down the path, and you can tell that the boy doesn't even comprehend the questions they are asking.  In some answers he appeared to be saying things that indicated to me that he was trying to imagine what happened and why it happened.  I certainly hope there's more forensic evidence than that so-called "confession" those to "interrogators" should be fired for what they did and how they handled it.  Disgusting.

And no more Nancy Grace.  I had to stop watching Larry King because she was on it so much, and I cannot watch CNN Headline News when she’s on it.  Awful.

December 15, 2008, 6:37 pm CST

Teenager chained in home.

Dr Phil, I am shocked that no one mentioned the fact that these adults had their own children watching this poor child be abused. And not one of the children mention it to anyone outside of the house. They could have told a teacher or someone. I pray that their own childrens lack of getting help outside the home wasn't due to them being abused themselves.

December 15, 2008, 7:33 pm CST

news lately

December 15, 2008, 8:21 pm CST

An 8-Year-Old Murderer - I Don't Buy It

Usually, I tape the Dr. Phil show and watch it at a later time.  Today I happened to be at home, so I decided to watch the show, in addition to taping it.  I'm so glad I did.

I reviewed the interrogation with this child, and actually wrote down his main responses, in the order he said them.  It seems to me that ANYONE who had just shot and killed his own father and another man, just the day before, would be able to remember every detail VIVIDLY, and would be able to relate the events in the sequence in which they happened.  This child's answers express doubt and confusion in both of these areas. 

Please allow me to refresh your memories.

During the first interrogation segment, this child states:

"I think I shot at the car."

"I think I shot my Dad because he was suffering, I think."

"And then I got the gun and then I fired it at my Dad.  Twice."

(Please note that he says he shot his Dad and then got the gun.)

When the interrogation is gone into in more detail in the second segment, his statements were as follows:

"I got out of the bathroom and I went upstairs and then I saw my Dad."

"And then I think I grabbed the gun at that time.  Then I shot him.  Twice."

"I shot him one time, he was still moving.  So I think I shot him again."

"Then I went downstairs.  And I still had the gun and reloaded just in case."

"And then I saw Tim and then I...then I shot him."

"And then I reloaded in case the guy would come back."

"So, then I think I heard a car coming.  So I looked around and I accidentally shot him, maybe."  (To this, the interrogator asks if he is referring to Tim and he responds "Yes".)

"And that's when I shot him twice."

The interrogator asked the child if he was mad at his Dad.  The following was his answer:

"Well, the first time, I was mad.  So I...and...but he already was shot.  So then I shot him again."

Please notice the number of times this child says the phrase, "I think".  Also, the sequence is often out of sync. 

It seems apparent that this child has been coached, and badly.  It truly would be tragic to have this child pay the price for someone else's crime.  I hope that this child gets the counseling he will obviously need, to deal with this traumatic event.  And I sincerely hope that the real perpetrator is caught and convicted.

As we saw in another portion of the show, a 13-year-old went to prison for 6 years after confessing to killing his sister's ex-husband.  SHE is now on death row.  Her brother took the blame because he loved his sister. 

It would truly be a crime to see this repeated in the case of this 8-year-old.

December 15, 2008, 8:46 pm CST

Could Dr. Phil Help Nancy Grace with Anger Issues?

How sad was it today when Nancy Grace was a total Dis-Grace to the Dr. Phil Show. 

This show was about some very serious stories.  It was too bad that the focus had to be mostly about Nancy Grace and her need to argue and verbally attack the other two experts.  Just because they did not agree wiith her opinion (which is typical Nancy) she had to get down right nasty.  Lets not forget her vulgar mouth!!

I have watched her on her nightly show, but after her disrespecting my absolutely, most wonderful, favorite talk show host...Dr. Phil  I am totally done watching her.  I already wrote a letter to CNN.COM this evening informing them that they lost a viewer because of her conduct. 

Dr. Phil, I know you will never have her back on your show again as an Expert.  Maybe next time you need guests for "The Dr. Phil House...Why are you so angry? " she might be one you could help! 

Then again, as good as you are...you ain't no miracle worker!!!  

Sandy :)

December 15, 2008, 8:49 pm CST

Could Dr. Phil Help Nancy Grace with Anger Issues?

How sad was it today when Nancy Grace was a total Dis-Grace to the Dr. Phil Show. 

This show was about some very serious stories.  It was too bad that the focus had to be mostly about Nancy Grace and her need to argue and verbally attack the other two experts.  Just because they did not agree wiith her opinion (which is typical Nancy) she had to get down right nasty.  Lets not forget her vulgar mouth!!

I have watched her on her nightly show, but after her disrespecting my absolutely, most wonderful, favorite talk show host...Dr. Phil  I am totally done watching her.  I already wrote a letter to CNN.COM this evening informing them that they lost a viewer because of her conduct. 

Dr. Phil, I know you will never have her back on your show again as an Expert.  Maybe next time you need guests for "The Dr. Phil House...Why are you so angry? " she might be one you could help! 

Then again, as good as you are...you ain't no miracle worker!!!  

Sandy :)

December 15, 2008, 10:23 pm CST

poor sweet baby

I think that the grandparents know more than they're letting on....
today I heard a bit of info and it really surprised me.. (Caylee and her mom lived with them)
I'm sorry but how could she be gone a whole month before she was reported ...I am a grandparent, and had the boys and their families live with me for a while.. you can tell when they're not home.. ..why aren't they asking questions way before that ..Hello if my grand-babies are gone i know where they are and when they are coming back...
Question If your child was kidnapped would you party with your friends .... .. ..
If your Daughter came home day after day with out her baby wouldn't you ask ??????????????

If it was a crime scene in the beginning when did it stop being a crime scene
Hello people... nothing is right in that house  

December 15, 2008, 11:31 pm CST

Unbelievable

It is a truly awful world in which we live when we deny an eight year old his fundamental rights as an American. He should have had an attorney present when answering those questions. Also, from the footage of the interview, he definately changed his story. In my experience with children, their first impression of a situation or event is usually the correct one. Has no one asked if someone else came in and shot these men first and then gave this little boy the gun? It is possible that this boy was coerced into shooting his own father and his roommate if he thought he was "putting them out of their misery." He also mentioned that he thought he had shot the tire of their car out front instead of his father and his father's roommate. I think what happened is that someone shot the men and then gave this little boy the gun; speculation, yes, but plausible.

December 16, 2008, 7:36 am CST

not sure about Nancy Grace

she has that "guilty until proven innocent" kind of mindset.  Plus she never backs off once she gets ahold of a horrid headline.  I've often wondered how she stays on the air.  

Yes, all these headlines are tragic, I fail to see how anyone will try this 8 year old as an adult, that's just insane.  I also do not trust grown ups with children who also have roommates, that's a bad sign in my opinion.  As for the 2 poor newsladies, anyone on tv nightly should be taking HUGE precautions at home, exposure alone invites the crazies......Love, Luanne

PS.  I added a picture to my profile, but those are not my children, although I do love them. 

I have a 23 year old grown son, who is doing so well in the world. 

December 16, 2008, 7:54 am CST

chilling movie

Quote From: trina860

The boy 's story about how he was helded Captive by 4 people, reminds me of A Movie called, An American Crime with Catherine Keener, and Ellan Page.  The story is based on a teenage girl who was under adult supervision, and then imprisoned  in the basement, while the neighborhood children torture, beat,  and brand her.  This is a true story. If this boy received any of the treatment that this little girl did, than I can only hope that justice prevails, my heart goes out to this young man.

great but disturbing, I find it hard to believe that could happen in this day and time.  It's a good look at mob mentality with the family and neighborhood being the mob!  Love, Luanne

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last