Message Boards

Topic : 12/19 Beyond the Front Lines

Number of Replies: 399
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, December 11, 2008, 02:55:31 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Military men and women are true American heroes who spill their blood fighting for our freedoms. But are we doing all we can as a nation to honor our contract with these warriors? When a soldier survives war, oftentimes he/she comes home and to face a different battle. Dr. Phil's guests are vets who say they've returned from the front lines only to fight a medical system bureaucracy that is failing them. Randy was severely injured during an ambush while deployed in Iraq. His mother, Tammy, says the military lied to him, and used him, and that Randy was eventually lost in the system. She says getting any help from Veterans Affairs is a struggle with minimal results. Dr. Phil introduces this wounded warrior to two special people who want to make his life better. Next, Jerry says he got a "raw deal" when he returned from Iraq, and he's struggling with what he believes to be Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). His wife says Jerry is angry and violent, and she's afraid of him. You won't believe what they say Veterans Affairs advised Jerry to do to cope with his suicidal thoughts. Chairman of the House Committee on Veteran's Affairs, Congressman Bob Filner, and FOX News military analyst Colonel David Hunt passionately share their opinions about health care for veterans. Then, Kevin and Joyce say their son came home from Iraq a changed man. They say they tried to get him help for what they believed was severe PTSD, but it didn't come in time. And, Tammy Duckworth, Director of the Illinois Department of Veteran Affairs and Paul Rieckhoff, Director of Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, weigh in on the cases. If you're an American, this is your call to arms to step up and help turn things around for the men and women in uniform. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 13, 2008, 10:16 pm CST

Veterans

Speaking ahead of the show as I have not seen it yet and a former military person myself!  It saddens me to hear of the atrocity's of some of our military that has been through war and had the horrific problems that they have had.  I know everyone always says well you knew what you where getting into when you signed on the dotted line.  Well you are right I knew as every other military person does and that is that if you are serving the country to defend and preserve our freedom and if that is not worth free medical in a combat accident than our country does not deserve freedom!!  If people cannot protect the people who preserve the democracy of this country then what is it really worth??  I say up my taxes and do what you have to do to ensure the military has not adequate but superb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  healthcare for their lifetime it is a small sacrifice we must do for the huge one they do!  We poor money into sports figures and everyone else but not for the people who preserve our rights amazing!  Also there really does need to be a laison program for combat veterans it is hard I lost a marriage over it and people that have not been there and do not understand that atmosphere cannot relate to their spouses it makes people harder and colder I guess but with a sense of guilt and grief and burden because of the country's views all in one.  Your emotion is little to none and makes contact with a loved one extremely difficult I really do hope that this show hits america.  Keep in mind that I do not want anyone to think that I want anyone to feel sorry for me because I was in the military I have a great job now and a wonderfull son and marriage and thankfully never had a service related disability.   Like I have said I do have friends in the military who the country has let down and it really is a shame considering the sacrfice they made for their country!!!!!!!!!

December 13, 2008, 11:02 pm CST

CANADIAN MEETS VIETNAM VET in 1978

In 1978 my brother and I went on an 6,000 mile van trip through the U.S and Canada.Up in the mountians near Denver we stopped for the night and we met a nice young man that had been to Vietnam.He told me that when he was my age he was jumping out of a chopper with his M-16 and fighting every day to stay alive.He seemed pleased that I still had my innocence and that we would let him talk about his experiences without judging him.I could see the pain in his eyes and I could see him holding back a TON OF TEARS.30 years later I still think about him and hope he's doing better.I realize now that he probably had P.T.S.D which led him to drink more than one should.God how could anyone ever judge these BRAVE souls and not try to understand what they have suffered through.

December 14, 2008, 10:46 am CST

Topic : 12/19 Beyond the Front Lines

As an American I am embarrassed that my nation would even be having a discussion about those that have served her. I read one time that a nation that will forget its hero’s will soon itself be forgotten. PTSD is real in the guys and gals that served and most likely will be present in the close families of those that were deployed. How can we possibility question the need for timely and proper treatment? Our great nation has the resources to do what is right and should take quick and sure action now, not when the hero is homeless or in prison. 

December 14, 2008, 12:28 pm CST

Support our Troops

I've said from the start of this war that those little magnetic "we support our troops" ribbons that everyone sticks on their cars should cost $1000 each and go to a fund for the vets.....then we'd see who supports our troops....Love, Luanne

December 14, 2008, 2:00 pm CST

Senseless

This is a senseless abuse of power from within our own government. First we went unprovocated without any proof to substantiate our presence into Iraq which has now become a sham and useless waste of human life. To some the war of Jihad may be new, but make no mistake... it has been going on since the time of Abraham! How presumptuous of our government to even think we could stop a war that has been waged for over 2,000 years. In the underlying aftermath, we have found absolutely no substatiated proof of any weopons of mass destruction, tried and hanged a military leader (who without doubt was an evil man) and systematically destroyed a culture that is as old as history itself! The disagreement over religeous politics will not end simply because we asign it as a clear and present danger! innocent men and women killed as colateral damage that is presumed necessary and as acceptable loss. The problem is that Iraq is not the hot-spot Bush thought it was and he was ill advised when he gave the order to declare a war. Military leaders will always seek out a reason for warring against other nations as a test of metal and not as much decided by need. Now we have made a mess and we have an obligation to establish some form of political structure that will endure. You and I both know that the minute we leave Iraq, that a power-play will ensue! It is their way and we cannot change the minds of militant factions with sheer brutal force! This is a war unlike any that has ever been fought. The enemy is seen and unseen, much as in Vietnam. How can you tell who the enemy really is? They will never stand a traditional front and fight face-to-face! Their war is fought in the shadows of ignorance and fear. 40,000 men and women! That is not acceptable colateral damage! What will it take for our leaders in Washington to pull their heads out of their rear-ends and realize that this is futile and we cannot win a war against a people that do not play by tradional rules! They tell us we are making progress in Iraq. Bull! We are simply adding fuel to an already volatile situation! These people resent us just as much as the innocent Vietnamese who were burned, bombed, tortured and killed. No-one wants to be told how to govern themselves. How many wars have to be fought before world leaders realize that trying to make others accept their rule as absolute and unyeilding does not work! How many innocent people have to die for a cause they cannot comprehend or understand. These people have been cut-off from the rest of the world and only know what they are told. That leaves little room for consideration. Most of the people in Iraq preferred the terrorist rule of Saddam as opposed to the massive destruction that has taken place in his stead. At least when he was in power the terrorism was under some control. Now the genie is out of the box! Senseless!

December 14, 2008, 5:48 pm CST

You worked for the gov't now make it work for you!!

My father is a disabled Vet from Vietnam, He was in the heavy stuff over there for the united states Marine corp.  He had skin cancer, heart disease, diabetes (all agent orange related) and he has severe PTSD!!

The ONLY way he finally got the help and relief he earned 1000% over and over was by my ENTIRE family, aunts, uncles, sisters, mom and me hounding our STATE SENATORS REPEATEDLY!!  It can feel very hopeless at times. But the soldiers put their butts on the line for our Country with honor and dignity. They deserve to be taken care of and rewarded WITH HONOR AND DIGNITY and shouldn't be made to feel like charity cases or 2nd class citizens.

In my mind soldiers of ANY branch of the military of our great USA is a super hero and due the utmost dignity and respect, but most importantly, EVERY BENEFIT THEY CAN GET WITHOUT FEELING LIKE A BEGGAR!!!  It's so disgusting to see the abuse of the very men and women who fight for our freedom and way of life!!  GOD BLESS THE USA AND EVERY VETERAN AND TROOP!!!!

December 14, 2008, 6:46 pm CST

Don't give up

Quote From: janette4

My husband is a Viet Nam Vet with PTSD, He is receiving non-service connected. He filed for service-connected disability repeatedly.  He filed four years ago, but his records were lost, it took them 2 years to find them this time. We were able to get a copy of his claims file, after waiting 2 years, and the errors are numerous. We started a new claim a year ago, and they have lost the claim 4 times so far. About a month ago I got a letter saying he was dead and I had to pay back $3700! Thats only latest in the INTENTIONAL idiocy of the VA. We ARE working with the American Legion, but they can't control the (intentional) misplacement of the records, and the (intentional) incompetence. Maybe they are waiting for him to die so they can deny his claim? I'd be willing to bet New York isn't the only VA that has shredded records and changed dates on files.

My dad is  A Vietnam veteran of the MARINE CORP.(HOO RAH!!!)  He has PTSD, DIABETES, HEART DISEASE  AND SKIN CANCER ( related from his military service and agent orange) He just finally got his 100% VETS Disability approved.They made him jump through hoops & lost papers continuously!!  KINKO's is your friend always make copies of what ever files you get & he also has a right to request a copy of his treatment file/service file too as often as he likes as he goes along.  COPIES> COPIES>COPIES!!! THEY CHANGE DATES, THEY CHANGE DOCTORS TO GET DIFFERENT DIAGNOSIS, THEY LOSE EVERYTHING (BUT  THEIR SHAME OF HOW THEY TREAT OUR VETS)!!!

BUT, WHAT WILL FINALLY MAKE THEM PAY YOUR DESERVING HUBBY??

FIND OUT WHO THE STATE SENATOR IS FOR YOUR AREA.....WE SENT LETTERS FROM EVERY FAMILY MEMBER AND FRIEND WE COULD, REPEATEDLY, we also made a lot of calls to his office  IT WENT FROM SETTING on  desk after desk FOR 2 YEARS TO WITHIN 3 MONTHS OF THE 1ST LETTER (from a family member to the senator)HE GOT FULL DISABILITY APPROVED AND SERVICE RELATED!!!  DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR WHAT YOU FAUGHT FOR AND EARNED THROUGH DEDICATION AND BRAVERY!!

The worst part of it is they try to beat the VET down and make him feel unworthy or like he is begging. If his Case manager is like that, GET A NEW ONE, AND YOU STAY INVOLVED WITH YOUR HUBBY'S CASE AND WITH HIS CASE MANAGERS,  they get antsy is they think you are eyeing the kind of job they are doing!!  GO GET 'EM!!!  DON'T BE AFRAID TO GET LOUD OR TO ASK FOR HELP!!!  GOD BLESS YOU!!!

No offense the American Legion has good intentions have no governmental pull!!  TRUST ME THIS WORKS LIKE A CHARM!!  IF you need to contact me personally, ask Dr. Phil for my e-mail and I'd be more than happy to advise a fellow Vietnam HERO!!!!  BEST OF LUCK AND DON'T HESITATE TO CONTACT ME> YOU DESRVE THE BENEFITS PROMISED YOU AND THE RESPECT YOU FAUGHT FOR!!! YOU WILL WIN THIS !!!  TRUST ME!!!

December 15, 2008, 2:36 am CST

American Veterans

Me and my husband are both veterans. In fact my husband is a Viet Nam Vet and got treated like crap when he returned state side.

We feel sorry and sad for all the Vets but we can not understand why the Vets that are returning from  
Irag are getting better treatment and respect than the Viet Nam Vet did.

Our hearts go out to the Veterans that come back with fiscal and mental problems. WE want to wish them all well

December 15, 2008, 2:47 am CST

American Vets

I posted a message early. I got to thinking that I sound a tad upset. I'm not upset with the current Veterans but I just don't think that the Viet Nam vets got treated right when they returned.

I feel that if we don't stay over there that we will be fighting them over here. I don't like it that we are fighting but We Americans have to do what we have to do to get the job done.

I'm proud to be AMERICAN and I would not want to live any place else.

December 15, 2008, 7:39 pm CST

"Thank You", to your Veteran Husband

Quote From: janette4

My husband is a Viet Nam Vet with PTSD, He is receiving non-service connected. He filed for service-connected disability repeatedly.  He filed four years ago, but his records were lost, it took them 2 years to find them this time. We were able to get a copy of his claims file, after waiting 2 years, and the errors are numerous. We started a new claim a year ago, and they have lost the claim 4 times so far. About a month ago I got a letter saying he was dead and I had to pay back $3700! Thats only latest in the INTENTIONAL idiocy of the VA. We ARE working with the American Legion, but they can't control the (intentional) misplacement of the records, and the (intentional) incompetence. Maybe they are waiting for him to die so they can deny his claim? I'd be willing to bet New York isn't the only VA that has shredded records and changed dates on files.
My husband is a Vietnam Veteran also.  He has diabetes, hepatitis C (which was treated with interferon last year), has had malaria, and  PTSD, with all the "yets" to come from these diseases.  We live in New York, also.  We fought for a full disability and got a minimal amount for the diabetes.  If your husband has diabeted, he is intitled to a 20 percent disability  due to agent orange.  We are still fighting for the rest.  We cannot afford life insurance and my husband has suffered.  They cannot find any records and he was hospitalized in Walter Reed Army Hospital with Malaria and Hepatitis.  I am ready to get a lawyer to help us, and we are not giving up.  What touched my heart about your letter was  your question, "Are they waiting for him to die?"  Those were my husbands exact words to the Albany VA.  "Are you waiting for me to die?"  I think they are.  I think it is an awful injustice to not take care of any Veteran, no matter what war he was a part of.  They made him feel undeserving of what is rightfully his; benefits for all he is suffering for.  We did write our congressmen and women.  They sent a letter of "Thanks", and did nothing else.  We will fight to the death, no matter what it takes.  Don't give up.  Keep hope alive.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last