Message Boards

Topic : 12/19 Beyond the Front Lines

Number of Replies: 399
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, December 11, 2008, 02:55:31 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Military men and women are true American heroes who spill their blood fighting for our freedoms. But are we doing all we can as a nation to honor our contract with these warriors? When a soldier survives war, oftentimes he/she comes home and to face a different battle. Dr. Phil's guests are vets who say they've returned from the front lines only to fight a medical system bureaucracy that is failing them. Randy was severely injured during an ambush while deployed in Iraq. His mother, Tammy, says the military lied to him, and used him, and that Randy was eventually lost in the system. She says getting any help from Veterans Affairs is a struggle with minimal results. Dr. Phil introduces this wounded warrior to two special people who want to make his life better. Next, Jerry says he got a "raw deal" when he returned from Iraq, and he's struggling with what he believes to be Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). His wife says Jerry is angry and violent, and she's afraid of him. You won't believe what they say Veterans Affairs advised Jerry to do to cope with his suicidal thoughts. Chairman of the House Committee on Veteran's Affairs, Congressman Bob Filner, and FOX News military analyst Colonel David Hunt passionately share their opinions about health care for veterans. Then, Kevin and Joyce say their son came home from Iraq a changed man. They say they tried to get him help for what they believed was severe PTSD, but it didn't come in time. And, Tammy Duckworth, Director of the Illinois Department of Veteran Affairs and Paul Rieckhoff, Director of Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, weigh in on the cases. If you're an American, this is your call to arms to step up and help turn things around for the men and women in uniform. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 22, 2008, 8:22 am CST

Thank you

Quote From: muffinpom6

WHEN WAS IN THE ARMY IN THE 70'S WHEN WE SIGNED THE DOTTED (LINE) I ALREADY KNEW WHAT I WANTED TO DO.SERVE AND DEFEND THIS GREAT LAND OF OUR''S AND SINCE THEN I STAYED IN MY BUNKER AND THROUGH ALL THESE YRS I HAVE ALWAYS TRIED TO HELP AND DO WHAT WAS REQUIRED TO KEEP MY PROMISE! FOR THE LAST 6 YRS HAVE WENT TO THE V.A. AND SOMETIMES GOOD I THOUGHT AND SOMETIMES AS IF THEY JUST BRUSH YOU UNDER THE CARPET WHEN YOU START GETTING EMOTONS RUN HIGH...I HAVE ONLY A FEW WHO I CAN TRUST AND COUNT ON !!! WHERE THE H DID OUR SUPPORT GO WHEN WE NEEDED HELP? I BEEN AROUND A FEW VETERAN'S IN THE PAST 4 MONTHS AND 2 HAVE COMMITED SUICIDE!!!  THEY WERE SILENT AT FIRST FOR ABOUT 3 MONTHS AND THEN WHEN ASKED WHAT THEY WENT THROUGH ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE THEY SAID THEIR SIDE OF IRAQ AND AFGAN.THEY WWERE OFFICER'S AND TODAY I SIT IN SILEANCE AND MISS 2 OF MY 4 BROTHER'S KEEP IN MIND ADOPTED. TODAY XMAS COMES AND CAN'T TALK TO THEM THE GOVERMENT LET THEM DOWN NOW I WAIT FOR THE OTHER 2 TO SNAP AND WAIT FOR WHAT'S NEXT.WE AS MILITARY BROTHER'S AND SISTER'S SHOULD NOT HAVE TO GO THIS WAY WE ARE SUPPOSE TO DEFEND ONE ANOTHER AND GET HELP.YOU TRY TO HELP OTHER'S IN THE YOUNGER AGE AND YOU GET SPIT ON AS IF WELL YOU WANTED TO HELP I DIDN'T ASK.TO ALL MY BROTHER'S AND SISTER'S I WILL DEFEND YOU TODAY NO MATTER WHAT HELL I GO THROUGH.THIS IS JUST THE STARTING POINT.WE NEED TO HELP ONE ANOTHER NOT WAIT TILL THEY HANG THEM SELFS THE MILITARY ARMY MEN ARE COMITTING SUICIDE AT AN ALL TIME HIGH IF I CAN EVER HELP OR KEEP JUST 1 FROM COMMITTEING SUICIDE I GIVE MY SHIRT OFF TO THEM!!
I am not a veteran, however, am a registered nurse in which who has and still am caring for vet's. I have jumped through hoops for my patient's to receive a little bit of care. They are by far the worst treated. I AM SO ANGRY about this. I completely understand what is meant by this. To you and all current military and veteran's: THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO AND HAVE ALREADY DONE FOR US! Please know it does not go unnoticed and know that I will continue to FIGHT for equal or  what I feel should be TOP NOTCH CARE!

December 22, 2008, 9:02 am CST

12/19 Beyond the Front Lines

How can I help?I feel very strongly about  this problem and have for some time ,but I have no idea who to contact  in order to help.

December 22, 2008, 9:37 am CST

Help with PTSD

Quote From: tally1too

My youngest brother served in Viet Nam and came back with injuries and PTSD.  He is now 59 and finally got some money to help after fighting with the VA again for the last 2 years.  They also put him on a low classification?  They said he didn't "fill out the paper work in a timely matter YEARS ago-in the late 60's" and thus was DENIED any help.  After I got more involved and was able to direct him to a wonderful man here in Florida, he was able to KNOW who to write and call to and made the numerous visits that are FAR from his home?  One doctor would say he should have been on medication YEARS ago and then the VA notified him that they were NOT approving that doctor's orders and NO medication would be given or help?  What a struggle he has had since serving his country.  You know that if they didn't want to help our agent orange people that they were doing something with all that money?  I say WE all call and write and keep on our Representatives for the HELP these brave veterans have done for us.......
My PTSD from Viet Nam was healed in one session of TAT.  At first I couldn't believe it, but since then I have studied TAT and am certified as a Professional and Trainer.  TAT is undoubtedly the easiest and most effective way we have encountered to heal PTSD.  I have seen it work over and over with just one session with Viet Nam vets who have been holding their trauma stress for 40 years, as well as with active duty soldiers returning from the Middle East. 

To find out more about this most effective technique go the the website  www.tatlife.com  for videos and a description of TAT.

December 22, 2008, 9:49 am CST

Our Soldier

Dr. Phil as a nurse that works for the VA system, we take very good care of our Vets, I also have the honor of working in the OIF/OEF clinic . We receive a list of the soldiers coming home we have 30 days to make contact with these vets. A lot don't respond back to get into the system. They get to see mental health, a Dr. with a full physical, A regional VA rep.Here is one problem they don't want to come in because if they are dx. with PTSD it goes in their records and try and get a job, like going into law enforcement. We don't have enough great mental health people that know what they are doing. If the pay was better we would get some of the best but the pay is so low they go other places for work. These National Guards soldiers already have orders for 2010 to go overseas. We had one call and beg for help that he was being sent back to Iraq, and had been dx. with severe PTSD begging for help.

I waited 3 years to get on at the VA as nurse, I come from a long line of vets, I felt it was another way of serving my country. I have enjoyed every min. working with the vets, we can all thank our god that we have men and women willing to put their life on the line to keep us all free. And yes they all should get the best medical care that any lay person on the outside gets.After seeing what I have seen  in the last 6 months, the whole systems needs to be overhauled. Alot are their for a pay check, but there is a lot there who give their all for the Vets.I can say they are the best group of patients I have ever worked with. Thank You for doing the show, please keep this at the for front , every day is Veterans Day.

December 22, 2008, 10:26 am CST

Thank You Dr. Phil You R Great

Hello Dr. Phil

I want to thank you for your concern for people like USA veterans and the treatment that we live through or just give up our fight with the system. My name is Senior Master Sergeant Edward Hurley (E-8) retired, I really need some help if you can. I know that this is a little of the tract but it deals with the government not doing the job they promised. As you read through this document remember I am not a scholar, I am an old retired Aircraft Mechanic, Viet Nam veteran from the USAF for 39 years and you may have to read some of this a couple of times to understand what I am trying to say but I have done my best! I am a veteran of Viet Nam war 1968 to 1969 and I can say that our government does not act like they are happy about the fact we do not die in combat. That seems do be the way we are treated when we return from wars they send us to, when we do not return in a body bag. I have had my go around with the VA, I am 30% disabled, which took a lot of work, time, and energy. This was a walk in the park compared to the situation I am in now with DOD’s armed forces insurance system called TRICARE. The government of the USA that I served honorably for 39 years is trying to do me a very serious injustice buy letting TRICARE beat the crap out of me for @ $9000. out of pocket money, tax free $$$$$$. It seems to me that Tricare is another word for a system to deny any claim that we make to them. Just about every person I have dealt with in this system must have attended classes to give old people a hard time, hope they die soon and stop bothering them. Every where I turn I hit road blocks with the DOD’s armed forces insurance system called TRICARE.

My story is I joined the 107  Tactical Fighter Group of  New York Air National Guard in Niagara Falls NY in September 1961 as a Aircraft Mechanic and retired from this unit with a lot of honorable discharge in December of 2000 39 years. The civilian job that I had was also an aircraft mechanic with the same unit  from June 1965 to December 2000, a total of 35 years. We were federal civil service employees who wore the USAF uniform every day with all uniform regulations to be CW, and worked on the same aircraft assigned. Being a federal civil service employee our health insurance was federal civil service like Blue Cross and Blue Shield that we paid a monthly premium. When I retired I had Independent Health family plan as my Insurer. In which I still have and pay $ 350. a month for.

We in the ANG can not draw our retirement pay for the service to this country until the age of 60 years old. I turned 60 in August 2004 and started to draw my retirement.  I did know of this out of pocket expenses benefit through Tricare that I am a member of, since I retired at 60 in 2004. My wife and I did not even know we were a participant of the many Tricare insurance companies, we were never informed. I would like to say the information available about the many Tricare programs, to us that retire from the US services is at best horrible. I could not understand why something as important as tricare was not told to me when I was authorized, in August 2004 when I retired from the New York Air National Guard. I asked myself something as important as tricare @ $ 9000 tax free out of my pocket expenses for my wife and myself over the four years, whose job could it be, I was completely puzzled.  In the many, many hours I have spent researching I have come across a lot of data that pertains to these problems I am having with the tricare system, not informing me as they should have. I have a lot of time to do this because since this whole roller costar ride in the tricare arena I have not been able to sleep much.  I used to use my daughters computer at her house @ 7 miles from my house, about every 2 weeks for 15 minutes to read email. But on this tricare rollercoaster I have been on I was spending nights and days at her house, her kids needed to use the computer at her house for home work. so I had to purchase  a $ 2000. complete computer and the internet.  I guess that a computer is required when you retire, Uncle Sam should have bought me one when I retired  HA HA HA Yea. You now I hate to think about all of the poor retired souls that do not have or ever will have a computer or know how to use it, may be you have parents or grandparents, that are retired, picture them on a computer trying to get what is coming to them. 

I did find who out whose job it was to inform us we were authorized to use tricare from the tricare charter at, back in August 8, 2004 when I turned 60, it is DIRECTOR OF TRICARE that dropped the ball big time by not informing me at 60 years old when I retired see: http://www.tricare.mil/charters/tmacharter.html. a couple of paragraphs. This is from the charter the director of TMA must follow by this DOD direction.

6.2. The Director. TMA, under the authority, direction, and control of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs ASD(HA), shall:

6.2.1. Organize, direct, and manage the TMA and all assigned resources.

6.2.11. Provide beneficiary and customer support and information services. .

Do you think as I do that the system set up does this purposely so people retired, go to their graves not knowing about these benefits, remember we are old. In August 2008 I learned from a person I met that I was authorized to use the many tricare systems for assistance in paying out of pocket expenses for doctors, hospitals, and perspiration co pays buy tricare since August 2004, a total of 4 years. So me and my wife got all of the paperwork for Dr., hospitals, insurance plain, the VA copayments for perspiration for me and all drug store  copayments  for my wife for the last 4 years and sent this to the many tricare offices to get some of the money back that the Director Of Tricare stole from us. We have been writing letters and grievances with no satisfaction for the last 4 months.

I have a theory that I think has some subsistence about this matter of people and there are many not being told by   The Director. TMA,  is this a cover up by tricare ? The DOD knows exactly how many people are retired   and all of there dependents, this information is in the Defense Enrolment Eligibility System (DEERS) If you are a service member, retiree, or dependent, DEERS registration is the key to getting your TRICARE benefits eligibility established. DEERS is a computerized database of military sponsors, families and others worldwide who are entitled under the law to TRICARE benefits.  As is said no matter where you read this material to make absolutely sure this information in DEERS stays up to date, ours has always been up to date. Does the DOD and DEERS system pay a flat rate to Tricare for all personnel authorized and then get more money from the DOD, to pay for individual claims. If Tricare, was as I understand them to be, a large independent insurance company working for the DOD under the charter I mention above. You’d think that Tricare  would bend over backswords to make sure every person authorized would be fully informed about Tricare benefits, even before they retire and for surely  after. The more beneficiaries’ the more Tricare grows  This is not occurring like in my case and I know a lot more cases. Has tricare been receiving money for me and my wife since I retired in August 2004 and if they kept it ? If I wasn’t told I was authorized Tricare  by word of mouth, from a friend I properly would have gone to my grave not knowing about my benefits I  have, @&1200. a year, tax free in co pay benefits.  There has to be a reason why tricare does not inform us and I think it’s a very large one, a cover up. As I see it there no other reason, How do you see it is certainly happening  As a closing statement I would like to say that I helped defend this great country we live in, both in peace and war and I do not think that the government is right to let this happen to veterans.

Thank You from a very wounded Veteran  

Edward J. Hurley

December 22, 2008, 11:14 am CST

VA Care of Veterans

My husband is a 100% disabled veteran.  One time we had to wait 8 months for surgery to remove a large kidney stone that was causing internal bleeding.  I could not believe the VA left my husband bleeding for 8 months while they waited to schedule a whole day of the same surgeries.  Then the OKC VA lost over 10 years of his medical records.  My husband is in pain every day with a back injury he received in the military from a bad parachute jump.  It took a special type of medical test to find the damage to his back and he needs that test again to see what is causing the increase in pain, but the VA has not done any thing to schedule him.  We will continue to keep asking for help.

December 22, 2008, 11:45 am CST

correction

Quote From: brenbee132001

I am a disabled vet.  I was told to get disability pay when i got out of the army in 1985.  I was going to the coast guard clinic for high blood pressure when i retuned home.  In 1993 I had a aneursym in my brain..After 2 months  of hospiltal,  I went to the va office to see if they can help me with my medication.  There i found out i was suppose to be getting pay for having high blood pressure in the army.  They owed me from 1985.  They would not go back and pay me saying they do not do that anymore. One lady that work for the va administrion says it is too much paperwork to be done.  I'm like so what do your job.  So, I still did not get my back pay.  I am 100 percent disabled now with pay because of my aneyrsym.  I still want my back pay.  It is mine and i want it.
I was not told to collect  disability once I got out of the army.  Had no idea that, that went on, until I had my aneursym.

December 22, 2008, 4:17 pm CST

HELP FOR VETERANS AND THERE FAMILIES

I am a disabled veteran of the first gulf war. I am also a veteran advocate who has learned to “work” the VA system. Contact me and I can tell you what to do to get the benefits you deserve.
I started this group over a year ago to help veterans, military, and their families. You are welcome to join and post your needs on there or just tell us your story. We are here to help.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VETERANS_AND_MILITARY_FAMILIES_SUPPORT/

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/PTSD_Military_Women-Men-Supporters/
This next link is for help and support for you and your family  for PTSD.

Blessings,
Tanya
100% Disabled Veteran
First Gulf War

December 22, 2008, 6:55 pm CST

Why can't we support our vets?

I have a cousin in the marine and my step father just retired from the air force and there are no words to express how angry it makes me to know that the men and women who fight for our freedom are treated so poorly! Why is it so hard for them to get medial treatment when they are giving their lives, limbs, and emotional stability to fight for us!! Something has to be done about this!! My step dad was a part of Desert storm, Desert shield, and the fight against terror, when he cam home after a 6 month deployment to Iraq he was a changed man, he was angry all he time and need less to say he and my mother divorced not long after he returned! You would think that after all the issues with the men returning from Viet Nam that our government would have fixed these problems! These men and women need and deserve all the help they can get!   Angel 

December 22, 2008, 10:12 pm CST

the lost veterans

I am a wife of a disabled veteran, same story here. He has went to the V.A over and over again.  He got hurt  twice in iraq.  A spine injury and shrapnal injuries.  He was hurt in 2004 , it took until 2006 to even get out of the army.  During this time the Army gave his chapter to get out, and one fine line within the stack of papers said "" all injuries happend prior to service""   If he was some young kid, trying to get out,, he would most likley signed that ,and never would be able to get help.  It took 2 years to finally get out, but now we are in a battle with the V.A.   It's hard enough to get my husband to call and make an appointment.  If he has problem today, a month later when he can be seen he does not go thinking the problem is gone.  He has told them he is sucidal, for months he was in such physical pain that he could not walk. We went to the V.A emergancy room and all they gave was pain killers.  No mental or physical help.  He was getting tossed from one psychologist to another, they lost paperwork. Just not good.  He has had 6 jobs in a year n half. We just had a baby 2 months ago, and at his job it is a daily struggle to manage the pain.

He is depressed, and the worst part  is that he wants to go back into the military every day.

First | Prev | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | Next | Last