Message Boards

Topic : 06/05 Body-Obsessed Boys

Number of Replies: 24
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 05:13:48 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/08/09) It’s estimated that as many as 1 million American men have an eating disorder, but because of the perception that it’s a female problem, many of them don’t seek help. Dr. Phil speaks with two guests who courageously speak out about their obsession with diet and exercise. Diagnosed with anorexia, 15-year-old Eric says he’d be happy if he could have zero body fat. What started out as a healthy habit of exercising with his father has turned into an obsession that is putting his life at risk. Eric’s parents, Ken and Becky, are tired of the daily battle in the kitchen when it comes to preparing his food, and they worry about their younger son, who doesn’t get as much attention as his older brother. Is there hope for this young man? And, 22-year-old Troy is a health and physical education teacher who says he can’t practice what he preaches. At 5-foot 11-inches and a mere 138 pounds, Troy says exercising and calorie counting has taken over his life, and he doesn’t know how to stop. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 6, 2009, 4:57 pm CDT

Oh My Gosh!

Quote From: aprilfromar

Hi my son is 2 years old and has been diagnosed  with eating disorder .  He went to therapy for a year and got a little better but still doesn't eat...  He will only eat sweet food, mac and cheese, chicken nuggets, fries... things like that.. Will not eat any veggies or hardly any meat..  I'm really concerned for him and Dr's says that everything is fine. He will go days without eating , maybe just having a happy meal and a few cakes. Any suggestions on what to do for him. Don't want him to be like the boys on your show today.. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Concerned mom

April

He is 2 years old!?  I'm kind of speachless.  I had Binge eating disorder at age ten so I guess that only 8 years difference.  I wish I had some answers for you but I don't.  I just hope and pray things go better with your son.  I know how hard eating disorders can be.  I had enough of them when I was a little girl into my teens and adulthood. 

June 9, 2009, 7:53 am CDT

Families Can Help

Anorexia nervosa is a potentially life-threatening problem, but with early intervention and good treatment there is every reason to be hopeful. For children, adolescents, and young adults living at home, family based treatment (the Maudsley approach) is a promising treatment. Read about it at maudsleyparents.org

June 12, 2009, 1:08 pm CDT

06/05 Body-Obsessed Boys

Quote From: aprilfromar

Hi my son is 2 years old and has been diagnosed  with eating disorder .  He went to therapy for a year and got a little better but still doesn't eat...  He will only eat sweet food, mac and cheese, chicken nuggets, fries... things like that.. Will not eat any veggies or hardly any meat..  I'm really concerned for him and Dr's says that everything is fine. He will go days without eating , maybe just having a happy meal and a few cakes. Any suggestions on what to do for him. Don't want him to be like the boys on your show today.. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Concerned mom

April

I've got to wonder about any "doctor" who would say "everything is fine" when a toddler eats nothing but sweets, starches and fried food. If your child's eating habits don't change, his immune system will suffer. He needs the anti-oxidants in fruits and vegetables to build his immunity. And, now is the time to start instilling healthy eating habits.

June 19, 2009, 3:55 pm CDT

06/05 Body-Obsessed Boys

Quote From: cadescove99

I've got to wonder about any "doctor" who would say "everything is fine" when a toddler eats nothing but sweets, starches and fried food. If your child's eating habits don't change, his immune system will suffer. He needs the anti-oxidants in fruits and vegetables to build his immunity. And, now is the time to start instilling healthy eating habits.
I have a boy now 10 yrs old. he has always been picky with food, textures and such. It was frustrating to me because I would take him to the doctor's and would hear the same crap, "he'll eat when hes hungry", "Don't fight with him", "Hes gaining and growing just fine", I could go on and on. I to would say theres noway that doctors should say that, but there are some that do. My son has gotten a little better over the years....he eats all meats, loves white rice, dairy, and of course junk food. I now relize that I should have enforced it more because after all we are the ones that knows what is best and it is our job as parents to enforce good habits.  You also have to take a good look at your own eating habits. My son will not eat vegetables or fruit still. We do make him sit at the table now and eat them. I am still working on being constinant...which has been a struggle for me, because I suffer from the lack of in my own life. I too have problems with food that I've had to face over the years......

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | Next Page | Last Page