Message Boards

Topic : 06/05 Body-Obsessed Boys

Number of Replies: 24
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 05:13:48 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/08/09) It’s estimated that as many as 1 million American men have an eating disorder, but because of the perception that it’s a female problem, many of them don’t seek help. Dr. Phil speaks with two guests who courageously speak out about their obsession with diet and exercise. Diagnosed with anorexia, 15-year-old Eric says he’d be happy if he could have zero body fat. What started out as a healthy habit of exercising with his father has turned into an obsession that is putting his life at risk. Eric’s parents, Ken and Becky, are tired of the daily battle in the kitchen when it comes to preparing his food, and they worry about their younger son, who doesn’t get as much attention as his older brother. Is there hope for this young man? And, 22-year-old Troy is a health and physical education teacher who says he can’t practice what he preaches. At 5-foot 11-inches and a mere 138 pounds, Troy says exercising and calorie counting has taken over his life, and he doesn’t know how to stop. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 31, 2008, 11:15 am CST

01/08 Body-Obsessed Boys

I'm glad Dr Phil is addressing this issue. I know a man who just might have an eating disorder. Over the past year, he's lost quite a lot of weight. Looks like a flab covered skeleton, in fact. Yet, he'll tell people he's been trying to lose weight. I think he's bulimorexic. My husband has seen him eat five Wendy's "Baconater" burgers. But, I suspect he deliberately threw up afterward. Because, every time this man has gone out to eat with us, after he was finished eating, he'd go to the restroom. 

January 2, 2009, 1:22 pm CST

Doctor Phil Show.

Body Boys Doctor Obsessed Phil/Robin. Doctor Phil/Robin. You have Jay Jordan in your liife anyway. So----

What are you talking about? See youon Thursday Janurary 08th, 2009. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaandere-

ren.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 8, 2009, 5:41 am CST

eating disorders

I haven't seen the show yet as it will air this afternoon. I personally am dealing with a daughter with anorexia. She had been hospitalized this fall and we are agressively going to outpatient therapy, etc., and she is healing. I can see how in the preview that the boy doesn't like looking at a picture of his "heavier" self and wants to exercise excessively. My own daughter is similar to that young boy by exercising, restricting food intake, etc. We saw the preview together last night and she spoke of some of the young men that were in treatment with her who struggled with this as well. I know that it not only affects women but men as well. Looking forward to seeing this episode and what the parents view is on this.

January 8, 2009, 8:01 am CST

happiness

Hi my name is Sarah. I was watching the show where the young boy and the 22 year old boys were extremely worried about their weight. I know that it is hard because i have struggled with similar things. I know that you have to be ok with yourself. There is a limit though and I want to tell you both that you are both very nice and good looking guys. But before anyone else can like you, you have to like yourself. I with both of you the best of luck and Troy....i am single and would love to meet you. You are absolutly adorable and i love fitness and working out. My e-mail is oceaneyes4ever@gmail.com :)

January 8, 2009, 1:30 pm CST

Eating Disorders

I had a teenage son that had similar eating and compulsive behavior.  I struggled bigtime between trying to punish, guide and tolerate and found out when he was 19 that he had a massive brain tumor in his left temporal lobe - which controls behavior and personality.  His phobias about what he put in his body were a direct result of the brain tumor and it's location.  I wonder if this family has ever checked this young man's brain.

January 8, 2009, 2:31 pm CST

I can relate

This boy is speaking my language. I had an eating disorder about 7 years ago and I had the same things going on as this boy - two sides of my mind telling me different things (I called them the logical side and the eating disordered side), the obsessive need to exercise or throw up if I ate anything with any fat in it, spending hours exercising, getting a high feeling when I starved myself completely, having weird and compulsive rules about how to eat and cook and even counting the calories that might be in the non-stick cooking spray I would use. It was crazy, looking back on it, but when I was in the midst of it, it was so completely logical and true to me. Thank GOD I was given the ultimatum by my husband and I went to counseling, to a nutritionist and got on medication to control my anxiety and obsessive compulsion to control my eating. I am so glad I allowed someone to help me so that I could get through it.

January 8, 2009, 3:42 pm CST

Mom

I have a son going through a milder version of this and my heart goes out to the Mother.

She obviously is doing whatever she can to help her son while also trying to get him to eat!

To label her an enabler is outrageous!  She is, by instinct, doing what she can to provide nourishment to her son.  Even if that means keeping the yolk out of the egg.  It's easy to pass judgement from the other side of the room.  Kids don't come with owners manuals and to expect a parent to know exactly the right thing to do in every situation is unrealistic.  She cried with relief when offered help for her son.  This is what she needed-help-not criticism. 

Congratulations to the whole family on this big step forward they are making! 

I hope to hear updates on this situation.

January 8, 2009, 4:11 pm CST

good news!!!

As the former director of the famous Montreux specialized residential eating disorder program in Victoria B.C. i applaud you doing this show!!We did Oprah in 1995 with 3 young men suffering at the time and they have gone on to live wonderful lives.It is a tough road and well worth it!!!!! Noah Dobson

January 8, 2009, 6:04 pm CST

01/08 Body-Obsessed Boys

I was very impressed  with the show today about this eating disorder problem.  My son is 12years old and has an eating disorder he has problems with not wanting to eat what is fixed also he was weighing himself several times a day always lifting his shirt and telling me he was fat and looking at labels on food packages, exercising at all hours of the day and night  afraid he was going to be fat and did not want to die  because he thought if he was over weight he would die. Since all of this has started we have seen an eating disorder doctor, a nutritionist , and a counselor and are seeking a therapist  as he as always been a worrier about anything and everything. He has done better with his eating but at the beginning his heart rate was 45 we have struggled with in the kitchen as when I am cooking not wanting to eat things thinking they have too much fat in them resorting to eating little or nothing sometime so we have now found that taking things away from him such as no playing video games or not playing outside unless he eats has helped a little so we will see.  It is frustrating for the whole family as everyone is pushing him to eat and he somedays is so headstrong on not wanting to do this.  I am in need of a child psychiatrist in the St. Louis Area I have an appointment with one but they can not see him til March  so we will see

January 8, 2009, 8:22 pm CST

01/08 Body-Obsessed Boys

My father died at the young age of 62 years old. He weighted about 110lbs when he died. People told him how good he looked when he started losing weight. He even got an award from his work on self-disipline.  He was grumpy and cold and sad. He didn't think he was sick because he ate 500 calories a day. To him anorexia was a womans disease. We lost him but in the 2 years since he's been gone there has been alot of news on male eating disorders. Thank you Dr. Phil.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | Next | Last