Message Boards

Topic : 01/09 Not Easily Broken

Number of Replies: 25
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 05:14:59 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
When you tie the knot, you and your spouse proclaim, “For better or for worse,” but how far are you willing to go to save a troubled marriage? Dr. Phil sits down with Bishop T. D. Jakes, renowned pastor and writer/producer of the new film, Not Easily Broken. The movie, based on Bishop Jakes’ titular novel, shows couples how to stay together during tough times. Then, director Bill Duke and cast members Morris Chestnut, Kevin Hart and Jennifer Lewis join the conversation. Find out why one actor says the movie really struck a chord with him. And, Chris and Kristine are a married couple who can relate to the film’s storyline. Chris says he can’t get over the pain of his wife’s second emotional affair, although it happened three years ago. Kristine says she and her husband fight constantly and throw objects at each other, and their angry outbursts affect their 10-year-old daughter. Can this broken marriage be saved? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 17, 2009, 6:11 pm CST

Spiritual Leader? I think not!

I do realize that this is Dr Phil's show which gives him the right to chose his guest.  For the most part I find these shows interesting...to the point that I dvr daily.  I've noticed over the past or so that  T D Jakes has been chosen as a "Spiritual Leader" or spokesperson.  This concerns me.   I was very interested in seeing this movie and didn't realize that he had something to do with it until I saw your show.  I told myself to keep an open mind just so I could find out some more details on the movie.  Needless to say, I only watched the first 15 minutes or so, deciding to change the channel after the movie clip.  Blanton hypocrisy forced me to take that action.  There was profanity in this clip.  I am not a naive person and realize that even commercial now-a-days contain profanity.  But when a person identifies himself as a representative of God I would expect that they live their lives in accord with God's standards which are outlined in His word the Bible.  They should not be compromised just to sell movie tickets.  Not for the need of money, but the prominence and exposure across various races and nationalities.  What kind of example is he providing for those who look to him for guidance?  This only compounds my feelings of disappointment in this man.  A few years ago he sponsored a conference for Men only in Atlanta, GA.   The turn out was phenomenal.  As was stated the purpose for this conference was to provide spiritual guidance and encouragement in helping the Black Man re-identify his role in society.  The most weighty topics were to be addressed.  Atlanta has a large gay community and it was thought that this would be the best forum for addressing the rapid spread of AIDS in the black community.  Not once was this topic discussed.  When T D Jakes was asked why, he stated that he finds it difficult to talk about something that is not addressed in the Bible.  He went on to say that he cannot look at any of the writings of the Apostle Paul and Peter or any were else in the Bible and find information on AIDS.  I couldn't believe this!  What about talking about the true meaning of love for mankind and how that should prompt your conscience to be respectful of others.  How about abstinence?  That is definitely addressed in the Bible.   Bottom line...I find this man goes with the crowd, not with God 

April 14, 2009, 2:44 pm CDT

01/09 Not Easily Broken

Quote From: moore4mi

I do realize that this is Dr Phil's show which gives him the right to chose his guest.  For the most part I find these shows interesting...to the point that I dvr daily.  I've noticed over the past or so that  T D Jakes has been chosen as a "Spiritual Leader" or spokesperson.  This concerns me.   I was very interested in seeing this movie and didn't realize that he had something to do with it until I saw your show.  I told myself to keep an open mind just so I could find out some more details on the movie.  Needless to say, I only watched the first 15 minutes or so, deciding to change the channel after the movie clip.  Blanton hypocrisy forced me to take that action.  There was profanity in this clip.  I am not a naive person and realize that even commercial now-a-days contain profanity.  But when a person identifies himself as a representative of God I would expect that they live their lives in accord with God's standards which are outlined in His word the Bible.  They should not be compromised just to sell movie tickets.  Not for the need of money, but the prominence and exposure across various races and nationalities.  What kind of example is he providing for those who look to him for guidance?  This only compounds my feelings of disappointment in this man.  A few years ago he sponsored a conference for Men only in Atlanta, GA.   The turn out was phenomenal.  As was stated the purpose for this conference was to provide spiritual guidance and encouragement in helping the Black Man re-identify his role in society.  The most weighty topics were to be addressed.  Atlanta has a large gay community and it was thought that this would be the best forum for addressing the rapid spread of AIDS in the black community.  Not once was this topic discussed.  When T D Jakes was asked why, he stated that he finds it difficult to talk about something that is not addressed in the Bible.  He went on to say that he cannot look at any of the writings of the Apostle Paul and Peter or any were else in the Bible and find information on AIDS.  I couldn't believe this!  What about talking about the true meaning of love for mankind and how that should prompt your conscience to be respectful of others.  How about abstinence?  That is definitely addressed in the Bible.   Bottom line...I find this man goes with the crowd, not with God 
While the word AIDS isn't in the Bible, I think there is some New Testament reference to gays bearing the consequence of their sexual behavior in their bodies. Anyway, there is no information in the Bible about cars and airplanes. But does T D Jakes not talk about, and use, them.

April 14, 2009, 2:49 pm CDT

01/09 Not Easily Broken

Quote From: cynnie

I am posting in regards to the show "Not Easily Broken".   It's unfortunate that many of americans go through the "emotional" abuse of marriages/relationships, be it affairs, etc.  I have been in that type of relationship myself and by the grace of God, He pulled me through and has blessed me with the most wonderful man and marriage that I could of ever hoped for.  I am sure Mr. Jakes movie is wonderful but there are some things that concern me.  He is a minister of the Word yet produces a movie with bad language and I am assuming some "missing clothing" as one of the guests on the show mentioned she didn't have her shirt on in one scene.  I am not judging but in the case of morales in this country, I couldn't help myself from writing this post.  If a Pastor can't even set a good example by producing a "pure" movie then how can we expect our younger generation to "live right" when they can't even watch a family type movie without even seeing this kind of stuff.  They see it, think it's ok because after all a man of God is behind this, it has to be ok.  I know it's trivial compared to some types of movies out there but we have to draw the line somewhere.  Maybe I am looking too deep into this and any helpful comments are welcomed if I am not understanding correctly for some reason.  I mean no disrespect to Mr. Jakes here at all, that's not what I am getting at.  I'm just wondering here where things need to begin and end?
That suggestive clip kept me from watching the movie until it came out on DVD last week. The language was rough, but I suspect it was used to represent the charactors' backslidden conditions. As for the "missing shirt", all that showed was Julie's arms as she rubbed oil onto Dave's back. And, it was a brief dream sequence. By Hollywood standards, it was a "clean" movie.

April 14, 2009, 9:08 pm CDT

01/09 Not Easily Broken

Quote From: cynnie

I am posting in regards to the show "Not Easily Broken".   It's unfortunate that many of americans go through the "emotional" abuse of marriages/relationships, be it affairs, etc.  I have been in that type of relationship myself and by the grace of God, He pulled me through and has blessed me with the most wonderful man and marriage that I could of ever hoped for.  I am sure Mr. Jakes movie is wonderful but there are some things that concern me.  He is a minister of the Word yet produces a movie with bad language and I am assuming some "missing clothing" as one of the guests on the show mentioned she didn't have her shirt on in one scene.  I am not judging but in the case of morales in this country, I couldn't help myself from writing this post.  If a Pastor can't even set a good example by producing a "pure" movie then how can we expect our younger generation to "live right" when they can't even watch a family type movie without even seeing this kind of stuff.  They see it, think it's ok because after all a man of God is behind this, it has to be ok.  I know it's trivial compared to some types of movies out there but we have to draw the line somewhere.  Maybe I am looking too deep into this and any helpful comments are welcomed if I am not understanding correctly for some reason.  I mean no disrespect to Mr. Jakes here at all, that's not what I am getting at.  I'm just wondering here where things need to begin and end?
I`m not defending the use of rough language, but i don`t think this was intended as a family film. i think it`s more for married adults. Or those considering marriage. Other than the language, i thought this movie was tastefully done.

April 15, 2009, 3:48 pm CDT

01/09 Not Easily Broken

Quote From: moore4mi

I think the bible does address aids, without using the actual woqd. Romans 1;27. Men with men working that which is unseemly and receiving in themselves that recompense of their error. Recompense sounds like aids tn me!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | Next Page | Last Page