Message Boards

Topic : 04/14 An Addict in the Family

Number of Replies: 57
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, January 08, 2009, 05:04:27 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 01/12/09) While battling cancer, Paula says she missed the signs that her 21-year-old daughter, C.J., was disconnecting from the family and turning to drugs to heal her anguish. After Paula’s husband, Jim, had an affair, the signs of trouble with their daughter became clearer. Since then, the family has done everything, including rehab, counseling and tough love, but nothing has kept C.J. drug free. Now C.J. ingests combinations of 13 prescription and street drugs, and is on the edge of killing herself. Anthony, her brother, is fed up and says she is ruining their family. Can they survive the constant turmoil? And is C.J. ready to get clean? Next, one of the heroin twins returns to Dr Phil to celebrate one year of sobriety and share her difficult road to recovery. Plus, emergency room physician and host of The Doctors Dr. Travis Stork says that he rarely spends a night in the E.R. without seeing a victim of an accidental overdose of prescription drugs. Find out the most common mistakes people make and the questions you should ask yourself before you take a pill. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 12, 2009, 2:58 pm CST

A nightmare revisited

I watched this program with a heavy heart and tears in my eyes. Our son decided to smoke pot and while this may not be a hard drug, it still got him into a lot of trouble. The saddest part for us was that we knew he was doing drugs and tried to get some help but seemed to run into brick walls no matter where we turned. So we watched him destroy his life by committing crime and eventually being arrested. The nightmare only gets worse. We asked the judge to give us permission to take him for drug counseling. This was granted. We took him a few times and everything seemed to be going fine. Then the next time we went to pick him up, the jail administrator denied his therapy because he had done something stupid and needed to be punished. We said ok but, do something other than taking away the counseling. To make a long story short, he was able to go the next week and after a short time was moved to a different facility. This halted the counseling. What these young people don't understand is that their record follows them forever and affects their ability to get jobs. We certainly would have jumped at the chance to get our son help like Dr. Phil has provided for many young people in the same situation. When young people go to jail without any type of counseling to change their behaviors, what is going to happen when they get out? Maturation stops and they are stuck in time. We feel lucky that our son survived this horrific ordeal, and are working on repairing our relationship. Dr. Phil: Have you written any books about that? Our son is very angry with us over the whole ordeal because we turned him in with the idea that he would get help. We got a whole new education. Our hope is that our son will in time forgive us for what we thought we had to do to get him away from the drugs. Sadly that has not happened yet.

January 12, 2009, 3:04 pm CST

Xanax/as bad as heroin

My son has dealt with all the drugs possible ,and managed to control them except for Xanax. Obviously he has an addictive personality. We recently sent him a detox /rehab program in Florida. He was out for 2 1/2 weeks and felt the burning desire to return to XANAX. A little research reveals this is not an outbreak, but epidemic. Xanax leading the way behind everything else in the book. The almighty dollar, lobby groups and lazy politicians have given the US drug cartel an incredible open door. 

Ethics use to be part being a Doctor. No more. The drug dealing doctor's are one group of foxes  in the hen house. This type of drug use to be controlled via hospitals. Not the case anymore. The war on drugs needs to start domestically with drug companies. Doctor pill mills. Further, obtaining these drugs is readily available through the internet. Another front on the so-called war on drugs.

End result: probably my son will end up dead. This country composed of "me generation baby boomer's" care zero about their generation , their kids future, or the future vitality of this country.  I have been in the trenches on this issue and ,will try to fight to the bitter end. When all said and done, everything you have  are  materially are JUST THINGS, but your family is all there really is to show you were on this earth!

This message is coming from a very frustrated parent . Thank you for your time. Dr. Phil you tell like it is!

January 12, 2009, 3:36 pm CST

01/12 An Addict in the Family

This is my problem with the show. Dr. Phil always says, go to the police,. It's better to see them in jail then dead. Well, we have. We have already lost one family member to meth. He was murdered. The police wanted someone bigger then him. They let him walk the streets. So, "the bigger guy" had him murdered.

Now we have a cousin...same problem. The police don't anything to do with it. They won't help us. No body will. They want him on a big bust, or they will knock on the door and say he is dead. People don't care about druggies. They have no money, their family has no money, there are no beds in rehab centers. The jails are over crowded. Life isn't that simple. When you are broke, you sit back and watch everyone you know on that drug from the devil die or go to jail. So, don't say go to the police for help. They just don't care!!!

January 12, 2009, 3:57 pm CST

I am  a Mom going  threw the same,as of january 10th we brought our son to a rehab. He has been found before by his brother unconsious and had to be brought back to life by the hospital.My prayers go out to all who are going through this. I never new how easy it was for him or anyone to get these pills.It,s going to be along journey.

January 12, 2009, 4:02 pm CST

self recovering drug addict

I hope she gets help the help she needs and her family as well needs counseling, i was a drug addict for 4 yrs. I cleaned myself up and I'm very proud of that and what i have accomplished and it was not easy doing it alone with no help except for my family support.  It was hard, but i believe that any one can get clean and stay clean.  With or without help.  You just have to want it bad enough.

January 12, 2009, 4:37 pm CST

Going through it too!

I am a mother of 3, a daughter 19 and 14 yr old twin boys.  Our family has been through A LOT!!  It started with our twins being diag. w/ cancer & then I was & following that my husband & I lost our parents right in a row. My mother, father and father-in-law, grandmother, aunt & uncle all in the same year.  I truly believe all of this is causing all the problems we are experiencing with our daughter now.  Her Dad & I know we are loosing her fast & there seems to be  nothing we can do. It is a constant battle along with constant prayer! We seem to stay in a state of crisis. I so relate to the family on the show today & my prayers are with them.

January 12, 2009, 4:39 pm CST

im on effexor and i was on xanx i have 2 teens and my mother lives with us and on tons of prescips but i'v raised my kids to not touch them , i know that don't help but my heart broke for this family , and if cj was numb she wouldn't been crying and she did look her family in the eye . xanx isvery powerful , iv learned that my self . i send loving thoughts and prayers to cj and her family. good luck

January 12, 2009, 4:41 pm CST

yes all you do is go the doc and say "im feeling down " and there ya go pills . the family should and will pull .

January 12, 2009, 5:18 pm CST

Recovering Meth Addict

I was a meth addict for almost 20 years. I am now 37 years old and I am very happy to say that I have finally quit. During my 20 year addiction I have tried numerous times to quit to many to even count on both hands but the bottom line is last year on July 16, 2008 thanks to the fact that my drug dealer being busted by the police I had no other resources to buy meth from. And I have quit cold turkey. It is hard to believe but it is true. The thing I have to always remember since this is the reason why I have failed before in the past is I thought "Oh if I just do it one more time" it won't be that big of a deal. Well that was the reason in the past why I could never stay clean. Now I always remember I am an addict and I can never do meth again or else I will not only end of killing myself but it would also devistate my family. I love my relationships now. If I can quit anyone can. TRUST ME ON THAT ONE.

January 12, 2009, 5:32 pm CST

A mom against oxycontin

I lost a son to suicide just before his 22nd birthday. He was addicted to meth and had gotten clean a couple times. But he always went back to it, and hated himself for it. He went on Zoloft for awhile and that helped. But when he returned to using for the third time he gave up and hung himself. He asked for help several times, and the places I checked into all required $25,000 and up.
His younger brother, who is now 25, is addicted to oxycontin as are most of his friends. There are several of us mothers looking for help for them.  There needs to be some affordable options out there. And oxycontin needs to be pulled from the market due to its terribly addictive potential.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last